• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Woman slammed for giving free meals to poor

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
A woman, who has been cooking food for the needy, has been criticised online, with one netizen even calling for her arrest.

Rachel Lim Yan Xuan, a 34 year-old dance instructor, has been preparing meals and distributing them for free to people begging or selling tissues on the streets of Geylang and outside a temple at Waterloo Street.

According to Lianhe Wanbao, she received flak from netizens after posting photographs of her good deeds on her Facebook account and was forced to stop after her third food distribution two weeks ago.

She said: “Someone threatened me, saying that as I do not have an AVA licence to cook from home for public distribution, and that as giving the food to the poor is [supposedly] illegal, I may end up in jail.”

Ms Lim has been engaged in other charitable works in the past, and decided to start her own soup kitchen as she felt sad seeing the elderly forced to earn a meager living.

“I saw an uncle lose a leg,” she told Lianhe Wanbao. “He has now lost both legs and has to sit in a wheel chair. It is unbearable. These people are quite old, but they are forced to earn a living rain or shine. Some of them are so poor they can only eat bread. That’s why I decided to help them.”

With help from her friends, she prepared 50 meals, which cost her $150. “The first time we prepared the food, we worked from 8pm to 10am the next morning. It was very tiring,” she recalls.

Those who received their free meals from Ms Lim thanked her for her kindness, with some so moved by the act that they cried. Through word of mouth, more people contacted Ms Lim to offer their help. For the last round of meal distribution, for instance, people contributed food and fruits for the meal boxes, reported the Chinese daily.

Being forced to stop giving out free meals has sparked an online war between Ms Lim’s friends and those who criticised her. Once netizen even said that the elderly are doing just fine and do not need her help. Ms Lim said that her overseas friends were startled when they saw the comments. “They wondered why a developed country like Singapore would have such unreasonable people,” she said in her interview with Lianhe Wanbao. Some of the netizens who made scorching comments have since removed their posts from Ms Lim’s Facebook account.

“I only wanted to help people, why did they criticise me and say what I did was wrong?” she protests.

When contacted, a spokesperson from the Ministry of Environment said that a licence is required only when the food is sold for profit. The person added that voluntary cooking and distributing of food can be compared to sharing food with relatives and neighbours and does not require the permission from the Ministry, reported the paper.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I agree she should be stopped. All she's doing is encouraging the poor to put their hands up for free handouts instead of developing their own life skills.

ls-knnbccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree she should be stopped. All she's doing is encouraging the poor to put their hands up for free handouts instead of developing their own life skills.

what about your lowly peasant friend who was killed by a taxi driver while cycling?

in my opinion he was killed not soon enough. his defective genes had been passed to his offsprings already :(

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one good lady. We should all be like her, charity starts from ourselves. If we really care for the poor, use our hands n money n don't talk cock

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah...I propose the gahmen goes 10 steps further..round them up and execute them...than after a few years no more problems..or rather just do maintenance ...out if sight, out of mind

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Check out her dancing.

[video=youtube;dSONKL4_WDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSONKL4_WDo[/video]

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is one good lady. We should all be like her, charity starts from ourselves. If we really care for the poor, use our hands n money n don't talk cock

hi there

1. yo, i agree with you on this one!
2. some specimens are just heartless, made of stone or what.
3. or never grow old, destitute, or faces endless life crisis.
4. it is always wonderful having an angel like ms rachel to comfort the lost & "unwanted".

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi there

1. yo, i agree with you on this one!
2. some specimens are just heartless, made of stone or what.
3. or never grow old, destitute, or faces endless life crisis.
4. it is always wonderful having an angel like ms rachel to comfort the lost & "unwanted".

In sinkieland the only types of charities are your president star, durai, Ming Yi types.
It doesn't pay to be kind or charitable here.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the same Rachael whom stood up against the Angmoh on the bus recently?

You want to talk about crutch mentality, go look at PAP backed contractors who send their banglas to buddhist free soup kitchens for meals and PAP dogs in mercedes going for free meals there, with no donations given.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Right! Beggars and those no longer contributing to the country like our aged parents should be put on an island with explosive implanted in their brains. Only the last one standing (by killing the rest) will have it removed.