• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

With Hougang loss, PAP’s recruitment suffers another blow - Alex Au

Lord Imperious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given PAP's usual recruitment pool it hardly matters given majority of their recruits are either from NTUC, Civil Service, Armed forces and govt linked companies.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Given PAP's usual recruitment pool it hardly matters given majority of their recruits are either from NTUC, Civil Service, Armed forces and govt linked companies.
cronyism is 1 thing, but will the voters be voting for cronies is another.

come 2016, unless sg goes into the guiness book of records for the world's largest GRC ever formed (11-12pax), the opposition should be rolling out a better lineup of candidates. even if we assume 100% of new citizens voting for the papaya, theres no guarantee that all morons who once voted for papaya, will continue voting papaya.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
deepblue0911 said:
The ability to attract and retain political talents will be a challenge for any party, not just the PAP.

Not so easy to parachute people from the SAF and the civil service. They have to resign first and work the ground early. A willingness to sacrifice is required. What if they don't win? Out of job and out of pension.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so easy to parachute people from the SAF and the civil service. They have to resign first and work the ground early. A willingness to sacrifice is required. What if they don't win? Out of job and out of pension.

Exactly. Singaporeans are a practical lot. Most of us would lament political apathy among our people, but how many among us are prepared to lead by example and serve in politics? Very few. PAP's strategy of using high pay to attract people is clearly a quick and effective way (at least in the past so many years), but this approach clearly isn't right as you may attract the wrong kinds. The other approach of the PAP is to politicise the civil service and the unions. Politicians are plucked from the top civil servants and unionists -- in other words, it becomes a culture in the civil service that if you're good, you may become Perm Sec. But if you're brilliant, then you become MPs, Parl Sec, Ministers. That's why many of our ministers are from the civil service.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
A lot of eligible people from the teachers and principals.....to tap from

for goodness sake, the attrition rate for the teachers are high enough, the parents depends a lot on these teachers, and tuition teachers if you may :o:o:o

mesmerised

Alfrescian
Loyal

The people who are earmarked for cabinet posts are identified early and moved into various organizations, including supposedly "private", "listed" companies. It is part of talent management at the national level. These folks have no worry about "losing" cos they will all get appointed to other organisations with "govt people". Anyone seen the salary scale for those in NTUC? NOL?? ST Engr or A*star???...plenty of areas to hold these "talented losers"!

Even TJC and CCS blurted out early during GE 2011 that they were already working with the PAP since 2008! Otherwise how to just resign one-day and talk big like veteran PAP activists the next day?

If I notice a trend, its that those who were in NUS during 1982 till 1994 typically stay away from PAP cos they saw LKY crucify anyone who dare to speak ill of the PAP, including own PAP members like Toh Chin Chye, Rajaretnam and Ong Teng Cheong. The only joker who fought against the regime then as a student but has turned-coat is Vivian Balakrishnan.

The PAP has no choice but to look at FTs, new citizens and those who were "out-stationed" most of their lives to enter politics: cos most are blur fucks and feel privileged to serve!

The real struggle that PAP will face is not in terms of new faces but in getting those who are already in to stand in single-seats. The single seats were largely ignored by most Opp Parties in favour of GRCs. These allowed many minnows to get away scot-free and even score high votes under the PAP banner in GE 2011. Even Desmond Choo will have better chance in any other single seat than those currently 'elected' after battling Hougang. Ask our 2 Generals to come out and fight single seats and see if they still can shoot straight...

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
deepblue0911 said:
Politicians are plucked from the top civil servants and unionists -- in other words, it becomes a culture in the civil service that if you're good, you may become Perm Sec. But if you're brilliant, then you become MPs, Parl Sec, Ministers. That's why many of our ministers are from the civil service.

In future, only those who can make it in the commercial world could succeed politically as they probably have to transfer civil servants and military men first to a GLC. In case they don't get elected, they still retain their good jobs. If they can only shout at people, they don't have a chance.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zhihau said:
for goodness sake, the attrition rate for the teachers are high enough, the parents depends a lot on these teachers, and tuition teachers if you may :o:o:o

I agree. Moreover, we do not want more people to tell us what to do. We have enough of those.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
In future, only those who can make it in the commercial world could succeed politically as they probably have to transfer civil servants and military men first to a GLC. In case they don't get elected, they still retain their good jobs. If they can only shout at people, they don't have a chance.

Agree. I've experienced a few former big shots who either like to shout at others, or bully others into submission. Really CMI :biggrin:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mesmerised said:
The people who are earmarked for cabinet posts are identified early and moved into various organizations, including supposedly "private", "listed" companies. It is part of talent management at the national level. These folks have no worry about "losing" cos they will all get appointed to other organisations with "govt people". Anyone seen the salary scale for those in NTUC? NOL?? ST Engr or A*star???...plenty of areas to hold these "talented losers"!

Even TJC and CCS blurted out early during GE 2011 that they were already working with the PAP since 2008! Otherwise how to just resign one-day and talk big like veteran PAP activists the next day?
One problem of tapping from GLC and quasi-government organizations is that if you hold them there too long, they will be paid very highly and get to like their job. A minister may not necessarily look like a promotion.

The two generals could actually be breaching their contracts with the SAF if they were actually working with political parties during their employment.

mesmerised

Alfrescian
Loyal
The two generals could actually be breaching their contracts with the SAF if they were actually working with political parties during their employment.

They will say:" we were working WITH the government, not PAP!"...our beloved free press should have just gone around to see how many civil servants were masquerading as "volunteers" during GE and PE. But of course, even if they found them, they cannot report such trivialities...they rather go after the ikan bilis that dare to swim with the sharks in the Opposition camp!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Sir, not me. I certainly dont know what is best for the kids....but the art of crying is an asset for the job, maybe Mediacorp has talents

heheh...

no need to call me Sir lah, me is just an ordinary bloke :smile::smile::smile:
but me think you're right in saying that there is an element of showmanship involved in politics... :eek::eek::eek:

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The blow has already started when Aljunied fell. Previously the PAP recruits had the near certainty of being guaranteed a MP or ministerial post - easy money. Now you will cannot be sure if you join the PAP as a newbie whether you will be put into Marine Parade GRC or Aljunied GRC...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The blow has already started when Aljunied fell.

Aljuined GRC was carved out from the Eunos GRC of the past, plus a couple of other fragments of SMCs. the seeds were planted way back prior to 1988 if you asked me :p:p:p

mesmerised

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aljuined GRC was carved out from the Eunos GRC of the past, plus a couple of other fragments of SMCs. the seeds were planted way back prior to 1988 if you asked me :p:p:p

I don't think the fall of PAP has started. Singaporeans were always ready to vote in Opposition candidates PROVIDED they are reasonable men with good backgrounds. Aljunied fell cos LTK joined the team together with CSM. The rest in the team really didn't matter. Likewise people in Hougang voted for both Yaw and Png cos they believed these are people who can make a difference to our political scene.

If WP cannot attract any new blood in the calibre of CSM, I doubt voters will be swayed much.
And if indeed a lot of brilliant minds join WP, I won't be surprised if they become a clone of the PAP eventually too.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If I notice a trend, its that those who were in NUS during 1982 till 1994 typically stay away from PAP cos they saw LKY crucify anyone who dare to speak ill of the PAP, including own PAP members like Toh Chin Chye, Rajaretnam and Ong Teng Cheong. The only joker who fought against the regime then as a student but has turned-coat is Vivian Balakrishnan.

The PAP has no choice but to look at FTs, new citizens and those who were "out-stationed" most of their lives to enter politics: cos most are blur fucks and feel privileged to serve!

The real struggle that PAP will face is not in terms of new faces but in getting those who are already in to stand in single-seats. The single seats were largely ignored by most Opp Parties in favour of GRCs. These allowed many minnows to get away scot-free and even score high votes under the PAP banner in GE 2011. Even Desmond Choo will have better chance in any other single seat than those currently 'elected' after battling Hougang. Ask our 2 Generals to come out and fight single seats and see if they still can shoot straight...

I hv to quote the whole post .... Insights and trend watching thoroughly mesmerizing as befits yr nick!