• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wise words from Khaw Boon Wan "university degree not vital for success"

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
None of the 160 students and young adults rebutted him on his reply? Fuck! Sinkies are screwed if we are relying on these participants. :oIo:

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'd like to add that obtaining a degree can often be detrimental towards achieving success.

I've had many in my cohort who I felt had great potential. They made the mistake of going to Uni and being smart cookies, came out the other end with good honors degrees which commanded a premium in many stat boards and govt jobs.

Instead of making full use of their talent, they ended up as pen pushers in large organisations. They were soon promoted to superscale positions and because of this, the opportunity cost of risking their relatively high salaries to strike out on their own was simply too high.

The fact that they had already established a lifestyle based on their superscale pay made it even harder to abandon their cushy, secure jobs to try their hand at doing some real work in the real world.

My wealthiest friends don't have degrees.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That I agree. The number of people who have turned down opportunities for a new life in the first world for various silly excuses is quite telling. And we talking about people who have qualified and got the papers.

But the small number that do it, makes all the difference.

Singaporeans must be world famous for coming out with silly excuses. In order of priority in least my book;
- high taxes
- glass ceiling
- discrimination ( despite the facts that ethnic Chinese are all over the place including national politics)
- family not happy ( this one always get me )
- second class citizen angle
- my wife not happy ( this one quite comical, end up talking to the wives)
- i already own a house in Perth ( how this adds up I have no idea)
- won't move until I get a firm offer for a job.
- climate too hot, too cold, etc

99.9% of us wish we could be the commander-in-chief of our own lives instead of being a subordinate. However, only 5% actually do something about it. I'd like to see a scenario where at least 50% or more give it a shot.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simex did a study of all its traders in the mid 90s.

The poly grads outran the uni grads. The Poly grad had nothing to lose while Uni grads were married to Uni grad spouses and were most concerned about taking too much risk.

But these are selective. In the scheme of things one should not stop someone achieving his best or his potential. At the end of the day, the most successful tradesmen amongst your friends will need to visit a doctor and a lawyer at critical points of their life. I am sure they are not to visit a makeshift barber who cleans ears, pulls teeth and does a back massage.

I'd like to add that obtaining a degree can often be detrimental towards achieving success.

I've had many in my cohort who I felt had great potential. They made the mistake of going to Uni and being smart cookies, came out the other end with good honors degrees which commanded a premium in many stat boards and govt jobs.

Instead of making full use of their talent, they ended up as pen pushers in large organisations. They were soon promoted to superscale positions and because of this, the opportunity cost of risking their relatively high salaries to strike out on their own was simply too high.

The fact that they had already established a lifestyle based on their superscale pay made it even harder to abandon their cushy, secure jobs to try their hand at doing some real work in the real world.

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is rubbish. When someone can qualify for a place in a decent university in a 1st world country and yet cannot enter a university in SIngapore it is a bloody disgrace. Ask him if the PAP will field 25% of its candidate slate without a degree.

He fast becoming like Lim Boon Heng and Lim Swee Sway with his never ending gaffes.

They just realised that an uneducated citizenry like in the past will be easier to govern as they are less likely to question their policies left, right and centre. That's why he is making this statement so only them can continue to pocket the rakyat's money and no questions asked. I think they regretted spending money to educate Sinkies and now the Sinkies are more opposition-leaning. Ubah!

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Move with time. Especially in Singapore. Except for internet business what other opportunities do the current generation have compared to your friends' era. You can check with your friends, if they were to start off everything from scratch with what they started off with again, are they able to achieve what they have achieved today? Not forgetting that there's no internet in the past. i.e. to say, businesses are not as competitive as compared in modern Singapore. How are the small fishes going to compete with the big fishes. I m not saying it's impossible, but it's much tougher. We have seen more and more educated entrepreneurs. Are we seeing many Sim Woo Hoo in modern SG. And by the way during SWH era, a Diploma is quite an achievement in the education system of SG. With a high education, people are better equipped. Forget about those who have no guts to venture.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is true. The failed track records of our fake scholars are testament to this. Khaw is making a confession.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Khaw is known for being selective and making statements out of context. Just like the $8 heart surgery.

They just realised that an uneducated citizenry like in the past will be easier to govern as they are less likely to question their policies left, right and centre. That's why he is making this statement so only them can continue to pocket the rakyat's money and no questions asked. I think they regretted spending money to educate Sinkies and now the Sinkies are more opposition-leaning. Ubah!

lesMISERABLES

Alfrescian
Loyal
The goal is not retirement or self employment. The goal is to enjoy life in whatever settings that grabs you.

Touché

I am just so amused that many people of whatever age, time and persuasion have failed to recognize this simple truth that you expounded.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
First time I hear a govt leader disparaging the people' wish to realise one's potential to the fullest via a Uni degree. If his chidren do not go to Uni, then I believe him.

With Singaporeans, he is just hedging by dampening expectations in case he and his colleagues fail to create the growth that will assure jobs for uni grads.

Last edited:

ILovePAP

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
University degree 'not vital for success': Khaw Boon Wan
Getting good jobs after leaving school more important: Khaw

Published on May 05, 2013 8:44 AM
By Toh Yong Chuan

Singaporeans do not need to be university graduates to be successful, said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

What is more important is that they get good jobs after leaving school, Mr Khaw told some 160 students and young adults in an Our Singapore Conversation dialogue.

"If they cannot find jobs, what is the point? You own a degree, but so what? That you can't eat it. If that cannot give you a good life, a good job, it is meaningless," he added.

Mr Khaw was responding to a participant who said the Government should set aside more university places for Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and polytechnic graduates.
wise words! Minister Khaw is correct.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
one fine day, i may hear "Don't buy property, just rent an apartment is enough" :rolleyes::biggrin:

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Me no degree and not wealthy but me happy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard of a Singapore University Grad supposedly a brainy chap and very philosophical. He walked away from everything and went to Tasmania, grew much of his food, did some research work from his home and took in nature. When his cohort retired and had a gathering about 3 years ago, he turned up and for some reason his classmates felt that he enjoyed life like no other.

Touché

I am just so amused that many people of whatever age, time and persuasion have failed to recognize this simple truth that you expounded.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So.......any multimillion dollar successful but useless PAP minister does NOT have a degree please kee chiu.......