• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wise words from Khaw Boon Wan "university degree not vital for success"

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
University degree 'not vital for success': Khaw Boon Wan
Getting good jobs after leaving school more important: Khaw

Published on May 05, 2013 8:44 AM
By Toh Yong Chuan

Singaporeans do not need to be university graduates to be successful, said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan yesterday.

What is more important is that they get good jobs after leaving school, Mr Khaw told some 160 students and young adults in an Our Singapore Conversation dialogue.

"If they cannot find jobs, what is the point? You own a degree, but so what? That you can't eat it. If that cannot give you a good life, a good job, it is meaningless," he added.

Mr Khaw was responding to a participant who said the Government should set aside more university places for Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and polytechnic graduates.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My wealthiest friends don't have degrees. They started off as tradesmen or in the retail industry as salesmen.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe Khaw should tell this to his bosses at PAP first.

Look at all the scholars holding important positions in the Government, Civil Service, Stat Boards, GLC, TLCs etc...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
University degree 'not vital for success': Khaw Boon Wan
Getting good jobs after leaving school more important: Khaw
can get goot job ezily wifout a degree in sinkielan? ...

y dun he dun send his kids 2 university? ...

tis burger is ze mostest despicable scum ... he tels u no nid 2 send ur kids 2 u but he sends his 2 ...

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe Khaw should tell this to his bosses at PAP first.

Look at all the scholars holding important positions in the Government, Civil Service, Stat Boards, GLC, TLCs etc...

PAP is in the throes of an identity crisis. left hand no idea what right hand is doing.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is rubbish. When someone can qualify for a place in a decent university in a 1st world country and yet cannot enter a university in SIngapore it is a bloody disgrace. Ask him if the PAP will field 25% of its candidate slate without a degree.

He fast becoming like Lim Boon Heng and Lim Swee Sway with his never ending gaffes.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
evrybody make moni on internet ... who make moni outside internet? ...

There are many ways to make money. In larger countries with resources, there's money to be made in manufacturing (eg China), agriculture or mining.

However, for a small country like Singapore, e-commerce is the ideal launching pad towards success. Even the crappy App that I wrote 4 years ago still yields a couple of hundred bucks a month with no effort on my part. If I was 20 years younger, I'd be writing an App a month with the hope of striking it big. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I didn't need to go to any university to gain the necessary knowledge. It's all readily available for free.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
There are many ways to make money. In larger countries with resources, there's money to be made in manufacturing (eg China), agriculture or mining.

However, for a small country like Singapore, e-commerce is the ideal launching pad towards success. Even the crappy App that I wrote 4 years ago still yields a couple of hundred bucks a month with no effort on my part. If I was 20 years younger, I'd be writing an App a month with the hope of striking it big. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I didn't need to go to any university to gain the necessary knowledge. It's all readily available for free.

Respect and there is definitely truth in what you are suggesting but too many readily gave up IT when the government said to move into another direction.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Respect and there is definitely truth in what you are suggesting but too many readily gave up IT when the government said to move into another direction.

Writing an App is not IT and you don't need any IT experience. All you need to do is use your grey matter to learn a few basic concepts. 15 year olds can write apps while still in school so it's pretty obvious programming can be self taught.

There are also loads of websites to guide the budding app builder along eg :

http://www.ehow.com/how_4875206_iphone-app-sell.html
http://www.appsbar.com/
http://buzztouch.com/

Anyone who sets their mind to learning how to do it tonight will be up and running within 2 weeks.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam

You are mixing entrepreneurship with all other vocations. Not many want or can do it. Some people prefer to swim rather than hazard cycling.

There are brilliant people who will never leave academia because they enjoy the work. Know a brilliant chap where the University authorities had to step in to organise his personal bills as he can't bothered despite a healthy bank account.

The idea for Singapore and Singaporeans is to everyone enjoy his or her vocation. Sure being your boss would be great but there are someone who relish their work in the Corporate world or on the top of public service. Then you have the neighbourhood aunty manning the local 7-11 smiling at every customer because she enjoys it.

I know someone who threw in the towel at age 39, and retired with the intention of bringing his kids to school and watch them grow. After 6 months he nearly died of boredom. He is now travelling the world in a corporate capacity. He told me that he would rather die than retire. One of the founders of Informatics went to Perth seriously attempted retirement, played golf, met kakis for coffee, tea,coffee, tea, golf, small business, share in other start-up and he realised that he was kidding himself. So now he follows your route.

The goal is not retirement or self employment. The goal is to enjoy life in whatever settings that grabs you.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's an article in ST today about this 30yo ex RI girl who could only qualify for ITE after her O levels. Her parents sent her to US to attend a public school. She later went on to work in Silicon Valley and Ebay. She s now very sought after because not many people in Asia has that kind of e-commerce experience.

I have a friend who also flunk his O levels but his dad sell chicken rice in the day and drive taxi at night just to send him to US. He graduated from medical school there as a pharmacist.

What this cow should say is that : Singapore university degree 'not vital for success'. If a degree is not vital and Sinkie Uni is one of the best in the world as what they claim, why are they sending their kids to overseas Uni ?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam

You are mixing entrepreneurship with all other vocations. Not many want or can do it. Some people prefer to swim rather than hazard cycling.

I'm responding to what I read daily in this forum from numerous samsters... that their jobs are being stolen, that their FT boss is stripping them of their dignity and self esteem, that they can't make ends meet, that their latest increment was a mere 1.5%, that they have no time for their families, that they'll never be able to save enough to retire etc etc etc.

I'm offering them a simple solution to their problems which is easily achievable once they've altered their mindset and made up their minds that they don't want to spend the rest of their working lives beholden to someone else and dependent on government policies for their long term survival.

99.9% of us wish we could be the commander-in-chief of our own lives instead of being a subordinate. However, only 5% actually do something about it. I'd like to see a scenario where at least 50% or more give it a shot.

A bit about "entrepreneurship"... in the good old days, it meant taking risks, raising capital, obtaining loans and risking bankruptcy. Not everyone had the stomach for it. However, in the internet age, there is almost zero risk. It costs nothing to give it go. There are no start up costs, there is no capital equipment to purchase. The computer is already sitting in front of you and it's already paid for in most cases. Your most important asset is already sitting between your ears and its utilisation rate for productive pursuits is 5% or less. It costs nothing to boost utilisation to 75% or more.

All that is required is belief in oneself and a desire to achieve. We all have it within us. It simply requires adopting the correct mindset.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
If a degree is not vital and Sinkie Uni is one of the best in the world as what they claim, why are they sending their kids to overseas Uni ?

You don't understand the meaning of the word "vital".

A university is always an excellent stepping stone towards success. However it is not a vital ingredient. Success can be achieved in many other ways without a degree.

Khaw is merely pointing out that there is no need to be academically inclined in order to achieve great things.