• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wise words from Khaw Boon Wan "university degree not vital for success"

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
then we should abolish universities. why bother spending billions every year to produce over-educated, underemployed fools? all i hear is echos of "poly is the jewel in our crown"

I'd like to add that obtaining a degree can often be detrimental towards achieving success.

I've had many in my cohort who I felt had great potential. They made the mistake of going to Uni and being smart cookies, came out the other end with good honors degrees which commanded a premium in many stat boards and govt jobs.

Instead of making full use of their talent, they ended up as pen pushers in large organisations. They were soon promoted to superscale positions and because of this, the opportunity cost of risking their relatively high salaries to strike out on their own was simply too high.

The fact that they had already established a lifestyle based on their superscale pay made it even harder to abandon their cushy, secure jobs to try their hand at doing some real work in the real world.

My wealthiest friends don't have degrees.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
then we should abolish universities. why bother spending billions every year to produce over-educated, underemployed fools? all i hear is echos of "poly is the jewel in our crown"

Don't be ridiculous. Every institution has a place in the overall learning process. Khaw is merely pointing out that it is not a prerequisite.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
that was your era, these days, you really need a degree to challenge your mind. degree holders tend to be more analytical than those without. you need certain skills to understand how things work in this world.

I'd like to add that obtaining a degree can often be detrimental towards achieving success.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
that was your era, these days, you really need a degree to challenge your mind. degree holders tend to be more analytical than those without. you need certain skills to understand how things work in this world.

You're talking though your analytical passage. A degree is just a piece of paper. The world's best brains didn't even bother.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What irony coming from a MIW Minister! The civil service is one that scrutinise an applicant's degree before hiring them. I have a friend in HR who told me that an officer's ablilty and potential in the service depends largely on the degree. The first 10 years of your career will be fast as long as you are 2nd upper.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What irony coming from a MIW Minister! The civil service is one that scrutinise an applicant's degree before hiring them. I have a friend in HR who told me that an officer's ablilty and potential in the service depends largely on the degree. The first 10 years of your career will be fast as long as you are 2nd upper.

You and many others here have extremely poor comprehension skills. Khaw didn't say that a university degree is not vital for success in the civil service. He said it is not vital for success. He's absolutely right. Many of Singapore's wealthiest don't have degrees.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. fat kid, bingo!
2. the short farter is farting again:biggrin:
3. the stupid media is totally useless allowing such crap go unchallenged.
4. show that such statement is valid mah!
5. how many in the civil service are graduates, the cabinet and mps.
6. show it short arse:cool:
7. btw, what is short arse's highest qualification then? primary 6 or what?

Last edited:

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are out of touch, the best brains do bother but were not up to it, they were put thru extreme learning on the streets for survival to make it. their achievement was solely due to what they learnt from the society. go ask bill gates to start a bank, do you think he can?

The world's best brains didn't even bother.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Being an MP or a civil servant is not the only measure of success. There are many other forms of success which don't require a degree.

hi there

1. me have had encountered many streetsmart individuals who learn the rope of survival.
2. yes, many don't have degrees or qualifications of higher learning but they succeed.
3. what I am trying to express is that if the short arse meant what he is saying.
4. do enough homework internally.
5. its structure and organization has kosong place or growth for those without the said papers.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
go ask bill gates to start a bank, do you think he can?

Of course he could. With his net worth, he'd easily get a banking license in most countries as he'd have absolutely no problems meeting any liquidity ratios that were imposed.

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
can he compete with other existing banks? how do you think his bank will turn out?

or

ask warren buffet to start a microsoft? what do you think?

Of course he could. With his net worth, he'd easily get a banking license in most countries as he'd have absolutely no problems meeting any liquidity ratios that were imposed.

Last edited:

iAgent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets be fair, holding a degree wont guarantee wealth and success, its just an entry to the society and most important, its what you do there after.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
eh Ramasamy,

He was talking about looking for jobs, not starting your own business or life. Your comprehension very good meh?

"If they cannot find jobs, what is the point? You own a degree, but so what? That you can't eat it. If that cannot give you a good life, a good job, it is meaningless," he added.

You and many others here have extremely poor comprehension skills. Khaw didn't say that a university degree is not vital for success in the civil service. He said it is not vital for success. He's absolutely right. Many of Singapore's wealthiest don't have degrees.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
can he compete with other existing banks? how do you think his bank will turn out?

or

ask warren buffet to start a microsoft? what do you think?

Everyone has their strengths. Some are capable of running a diverse range of businesses as the principles are the same. The most important skill is the ability to recognise talent in others and hire the right people to do the job for you.

The top dogs don't bother with the nitty gritty. They get their team to handle such things. Take a look at Richard Branson. He started off selling vinyl records and went on to achieve great things in fields as diverse as aviation, telecommunication and soft drinks.

Branson is dyslexic and does not have a very good academic record.