• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why does the NEA tear down and rebuiilt hawker centres so frequently?

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most people will not know this - hawker upgrading means that the hawker may have to fork out 10k upfront for the temporary location, and this will be used offset monthly rentals in the future. this is why you see old hawkers retiring once and for all, as they cannot afford upfront fees, re-doing their stalls, on top of higher rents after the renovation is completed. Once the retired hawker has transferred or sold off his stall, new rental rates will apply to the new hawker. Now you see why prices go up after renovation.

Wah...if thats the case that means all this upgrading bullshit is but another sneaky method to force the older "rent control" hawkers to give up their allotments and earn more money from the new takeover tenants then....

this really smells like another PAP govt dirty trick... like how they tried to con all the senior citizens to "exchange" their precious HDB flats for monthly stipends... given shit for gold....

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Were you a Tiong bahru boy ?..i was.Hehehe

I kinda grew up running around with my wild bunch of crazy mischievous cousins and their huge band of brudders in the Bukit Ho Swee area...

it was a really memorable period for a bunch of 8 - 11 year olds....

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I kinda grew up running around with my wild bunch of crazy mischievous cousins and their huge band of brudders in the Bukit Ho Swee area...

Wow, Ho-chwee-sua area; pai-kias a Lot then..:wink:

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, Ho-chwee-sua area; pai-kias a Lot then..:wink:

yeah scary times then.... some of the fellas did "grow up" to join up with some older groups but i didnt because i stopped hanging out with them after pri 5 (family moved east) and my life took a very different course from then on...

but lots of wonderful memories of a more innocent period past....heard a lot of them who went to "chup" kena 55 (Crim Law) or kena jailed etc but havent even bumped into anyone for a long long time

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yeah scary times then.... some of the fellas did "grow up" to join up with some older groups but i didnt because i stopped hanging out with them after pri 5 (family moved east) and my life took a very different course from then on...

but lots of wonderful memories of a more innocent period past....heard a lot of them who went to "chup" kena 55 (Crim Law) or kena jailed etc but havent even bumped into anyone for a long long time

There was a pLayground then with a huge gLobe in the middLe of it.Those kids were aLways mimicking aLL the
Tarzan stuns around it.Used to be some one roomed bLocks of singLe digits in the area right ?..

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a pLayground then with a huge gLobe in the middLe of it.Those kids were aLways mimicking aLL the
Tarzan stuns around it.Used to be some one roomed bLocks of singLe digits in the area right ?..

hahaha!! i know that playground but we had a lot of run ins with the bunch there so we just stuck around our area around the block 20s.... our favourite hangout was the open space next to that one storey chinese run "mamashop" that was next to the bus stop in front of block 29.... :smile: I loved the duck wing noodles from the corner coffee shop that was run by the indian looking chinese boss they called "Ah Ou"?? heeheheehee

that area was a teochew gangster stronghold ... nobody messes around with the toughies there man....

i still think of the cheng tng from the food centre behind at 22A and the CKT fried by the fat lady at 22.

:smile:

gz0707

Alfrescian
Loyal

bro, do you know what happen to the chicken porridge stall on the main Tiong bahru road, nearer and heading towards Kim Tian road? they had a special side dish with century egg. it served proper chunky chicken meat with porridge, i ate there in the 90s.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hahaha!! i know that playground but we had a lot of run ins with the bunch there so we just stuck around our area around the block 20s.... our favourite hangout was the open space next to that one storey chinese run "mamashop" that was next to the bus stop in front of block 29.... :smile: I loved the duck wing noodles from the corner coffee shop that was run by the indian looking chinese boss they called "Ah Ou"?? heeheheehee

that area was a teochew gangster stronghold ... nobody messes around with the toughies there man....

i still think of the cheng tng from the food centre behind at 22A and the CKT fried by the fat lady at 22.

:smile:
Woww, you stiLL have vivid memories of your ex-stronghoLd; Mr.Head henchman..:wink:

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, do you know what happen to the chicken porridge stall on the main Tiong bahru road, nearer and heading towards Kim Tian road? they had a special side dish with century egg. it served proper chunky chicken meat with porridge, i ate there in the 90s.

sorry dude.... cant help you with that.....maybe some of the Tiong Bahru bros here can remember where ....

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Woww, you stiLL have vivid memories of your ex-stronghoLd; Mr.Head henchman..:wink:

no man.... i was never really "involved" in any "politics" heeheehee :wink:

just had a lot of happy times with a lot of other boys who grew up to regard their lives with less worth than i did.... kekekeke

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Area is also known as 4 leg pavilion (Si Kar Teng).

Dont think so bro, Si kar teng is the oLd end of Kim Tian Road encompassing the Bobotan Gardens of then.
Ho chwee sua is totaLLy another sector.Btw, both areas were 'ruLed' by different pai-kia sects..:wink:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dont think so bro, Si kar teng is the oLd end of Kim Tian Road encompassing the Bobotan Gardens of then.
Ho chwee sua is totaLLy another sector.Btw, both areas were 'ruLed' by different pai-kia sects..:wink:
Umm.. Always thought that area is call Si Kar Teng.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have hence been renamed to Si Kar Chua..:biggrin:
Was looking at street directory for Si Kar Teng and looks a little different from my memory. Familiar with Kim Tian and Jalan Membina cos' used to sian a mamasan from Penang staying there. :smile:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Was looking at street directory for Si Kar Teng and looks a little different from my memory. Familiar with Kim Tian and Jalan Membina cos' used to sian a mamasan from Penang staying there. :smile:
Me used to know a Penang mamasan staying around that area too !..dont teLL me it's that same dame ?..:eek::biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Siao Liao..forgotten her name though..but she's a free-Lance mamasan at Tycoon Ktv, on the 4th fLoor of the Isetan DepartmentaL store..hehehe.
testing me hor? Isetan use to have a branch in Apollo..........

OK, like that no lang gar. Cos' the one I know worked in Apxxxx Nite Club.