• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why are the schools teaching China History?

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was looking at the school books which my nephew has since he just started his secondary school. I realised that his History book is different from ours.

Then I looked at the note that he had taken. I was shocked to see that he is learning about China History! Why har?

No wonder China students will do better that our students. Why we have to learn other people's history?

So sad.

very happy leh.

because they realised that singapore got no much history to study. make it hard to set exam questions and easy to learn.
china got long period of history , very interesting too. and has a wide range of questions to ask and very difficult to remember all the fact.

if school teach singapore history , questions are limit and easily spotted.
like who found singapore , answer : Lky.
and every students will pass.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's no history like Chinese history. Where else can you find 24 volumes of real-time and continuously documented chronologies over 4,000 years, that's not counting post-dynastic ROC and PRC, and not counting another 1,000 years of archaelogical history preceeding the invention of writing and recording systems.

If your child's school offers to teach it, take it up. I had to study it privately since I went to English schools, both pr. and sec. Then my history syllabus was world history, divided into ancient and medieval. Starting with Mesopotamia, Sumeria, Assyria, Egypt, Greece, Rome, India and China in ancient civilization era. Israel was intentional left out for religious contention and controversy. All those civilizations ended themselves in the ancient era except Chinese history continues till today.

For those who're not familiar with ancient history, those people now inhabiting modern Egypt, Greece, Rome (Italy) and India are not of the same ethnicity as ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Indus Indians. They were wiped out or exiled and dispersed into extinction. The only other besides Chinese that held together even whilst in disapora were the Jews. They returned to Israel only after WW2, after thousands of years break in history without homeland.

Tony Tan

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG children are all very stupid and not expected to survive any way, regardless what nor how you teach them. No need to teach them anything lah. All wasted anyway.:biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dun thing it a goot idea 2 include SG history...esp during de 60's...all moi niece n nephew cum ask moi..."Wah piang!! old fart lidat backstab Mr Lim Chin Siong good meh..." :mad::biggrin::p

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore should teach a basic background of world history, yes. But in detail, Singapore should teach British, Malayan and Singapore history only.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Teach them things that it would be useful, generally.

I agree with Forvendet that basic of world history. The rest should be about the history of our side of the world.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learn Ancient Languages Too

There's no history like Chinese history. Where else can you find 24 volumes of real-time and continuously documented chronologies over 4,000 years, that's not counting post-dynastic ROC and PRC, and not counting another 1,000 years of archaelogical history preceeding the invention of writing and recording systems.

For those who're not familiar with ancient history, those people now inhabiting modern Egypt, Greece, Rome (Italy) and India are not of the same ethnicity as ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Indus Indians. They were wiped out or exiled and dispersed into extinction. The only other besides Chinese that held together even whilst in disapora were the Jews. They returned to Israel only after WW2, after thousands of years break in history without homeland.

Chinese do not know Chinese history is bad. Don't forget the languages too.

[video=youtube;sVw9iyq59zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVw9iyq59zo&feature=related[/video]

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG children are all very stupid and not expected to survive any way, regardless what nor how you teach them. No need to teach them anything lah. All wasted anyway.:biggrin:

maybe should teach them how the fish mated with the lion and the merlion was born. would be a very interesting lesson.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those interested in history, something never taught in Singapore schools is interesting too - the Japanese Oda-Toyotomi-Tokugawa shogunate era. Japanese history is unlike Chinese. It always had a so-called emperor since Yamato era but strictly ceremonial only. Real political and military powers were wielded by regional warlords (shoguns). It was like perpetually stuck in the Zhou Dynasty Warring States era. Unlike ancient China, there has been no change of dynasty in Japan.

Oda-Toyotomi-Tokugawa (contemporary to Chinese Ming and Qing dynasties era) as daimyo (lord of shoguns) defeated and united all shogunates Qin Shihuang style, more or less. But the feudal shogunate tradition couldn't last long, even when united, as modernisation came knocking on the door. Japan has since been always ahead of China instead of lagging behind since it embraced modernisation first. Samurai swords were replaced by firearms. Catapults were replaced by cannons. Wooden ships were replaced by steel ships. Feudal traditional hierarchy was replaced by parlimentary constutional monarchy, known as Meji Restoration.

I knew nothing about that until I went to US. Just happenstance that the trilogy of Japanese history series was aired on an Asian channel (shared by Chinese, Japanese and Korean programs for airtime). As dramatised series, it's more like Romance of Three Kingdoms than Chronicles of Three Kingdoms, but I got the picture.

akunei

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find china history very drama. One person (for eg zhuge Liang) can have so big impact on the country. During my times, also studied history about south east Asia but frankly find it a bit boring.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
did they also teach most sinkies chinese are coolies in history class?

There's nothing to be ashamed or feel genetically inferior about that. The British granted their visas to Singapore and Malaya due to need of labour to open up ports, plantations and mines. Most our ancestors chose to leave China then because of life-threatening situations. Most of them worked hard here and the British paid them their fair dues. Many of them went from coolies to towkays. Now, what's wrong with that? What's there to be ashamed or feel inferior about?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's nothing to be ashamed or feel genetically inferior about that. The British granted their visas to Singapore and Malaya due to need of labour to open up ports, plantations and mines. Most our ancestors chose to leave China then because of life-threatening situations. Most of them worked hard here and the British paid them their fair dues. Many of them went from coolies to towkays. Now, what's wrong with that? What's there to be ashamed or feel inferior about?

Ppl that write in that manner have nazi like thinking. Since when does one's ancestors background actually determine their descendants destiny?

Following his logic most sinkies today should be coolies slaving under the sun like the bangalas and i'm sure singveld should have a similar type of ancestry.

Sadako

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.….................... I will tell my niece or nephew to pongten that class forever.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Japanese Civil War ?

the Japanese Oda-Toyotomi-Tokugawa shogunate era. Japanese history is unlike Chinese. It always had a so-called emperor since Yamato era but strictly ceremonial only. Real political and military powers were wielded by regional warlords (shoguns). It was like perpetually stuck in the Zhou Dynasty Warring States era. Unlike ancient China, there has been no change of dynasty in Japan.

Tokugawa was known as a coward when he was young. He's too arrogant until ... Oda the odd fellow. Toyotomi ? He befriended with Ming to eradicate the Japanese pirates ? Oda was murdered by one of his own trusted generals.

Both Takeda and Uesugi do not have enough rifles to match Oda's.

1280px-Oda_Nobunaga_swivel_breech_loading_gun.jpg