• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which local food will be banned next?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dwindling fish stock not due to sharks. Its due to human overfishing.

Then the solution will be reducing the human population which will in turn there will be less fishing, we will have less people to feed. That is why the good old "gringoes" are rattling their sabers at North Korea & Iran. :biggrin:

Last edited:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
a lot of one upmanship but i seriously doubt they will fight in a big way.

Then the solution will be reducing the human population which will in turn there will be less fishing, we will have less people to feed. That is why the good old "gringoes" are rattling their sabers at North Korea & Iran. :biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nah beh...rearing sharks for sharks fin might work...

like that i can also list a long list of food that should be banned:
fois gois, cavier....

foie gras!! not fois gois!! these are foods for the 'gods', for peopl who can afford to fly a sushi chef from any point of the earth & cook a meal at home, it is not for people like us, who can't savour foie gras or caviar on crackers served will a bottle of Dom P!!

These are 'ambrosias' food of the 'gods'...whities!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you order char kway teow, tell them don't fry the cockles. After frying the noodle and egg, then toss in the cockles for a warm up and serve. Same for laksa, tell then to boil the laksa first, then toss in the cockles that'll warm up just nice with the curry instead of being overboiled, shrunk and hardened.

Lavender Square has a good BBQ seafood stall that serves warm dipped cockles. Good for snacking cockles with beer, but no smoking. Desker Road backlane linking to Rowell has a stall too. That's alfresco and smoking allowed. As usual, remember to tell them how much you want your cockles cooked when ordering.

Cockles were eaten (as a stand alone dish) by my family quite often when we were kids. We simply poured boiling water over the shell fish and ate them with chilli or dark soy sauce. Until my aunt contracted hepatitis - this was during the eighties. Since then cockles are eaten only as additions to char kwey teow and laksa.

Cheers!

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
foie gras!! not fois gois!! these are foods for the 'gods', for peopl who can afford to fly a sushi chef from any point of the earth & cook a meal at home, it is not for people like us, who can't savour foie gras or caviar on crackers served will a bottle of Dom P!!

I'll pass on the foie gras, but gimme 濡鸭肝with a couple bottles of tiger anytime. :biggrin:

geylangchickenloyangduck

Alfrescian
Loyal

nah beh....sorri, my english not so good...yes, foie gras, but you get the picture.

ya lah. fucking hell, the world exist 2 laws, one for white and one for colored - as if white not a color.

they ought to take a good look at themselves, eat all the games & what nots.

but hor...caviar not with Dom Perignon lah...its better with vodka i heard. chilled vodka.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
is it ban there? how did they manage to do that ? no lawyer used the race card to sue them?

Apparently it was a democratic procedure. Took place last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/25/shark-fin-ban-vote.html

Toronto city council has voted to ban the sale of shark fin in the city.
The ban, suggested by councillors John Parker, Glenn De Baeremaeker and Kristyn Wong-Tam, will outlaw the possession, sale, trade and distribution of shark fins or their derivative products.
The proposal passed easily - by a vote of 38 to 4.
Shark fins are used in a soup that is often served at traditional Chinese weddings.
Those who support the ban say sharks are killed inhumanely and often thrown into the ocean alive after their fins are sliced off.
Those who opposed the ban say the soup is a traditional dish and insist the sharks are killed humanely.
Before the vote Mayor Rob Ford said he didn't think it was the city's responsibility to ban the sale of shark fins and that he wouldn't support the motion.
"I don't think it's in our purview to do that," he told CBC. "If other councillors want to do it it's an open vote. It's been going on for so long I don't know why it's an issue now."
About 100 protesters showed up outside City Hall, claiming a ban would hurt the restaurant industry.
The proposed bylaw will ban any use of shark fin and will impose fines ranging from $5,000 for a first offence to $100,000 for a third offence.
Some critics have argued that imposing a ban in Toronto will not end the problem since customers who want to eat shark fin soup will just travel to another municipality that doesn't have a ban.
They argue that the federal government needs to impose a national ban on the importation and consumption of shark fin.
Toronto is the fourth city in Ontario to enact a shark fin ban, joining Brantford, Oakville, and Mississauga.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that goes to prove that there is no decent chin lawyer in canada, this will not happen in USA, they will be sue until the whole city goes broke.

Apparently it was a democratic procedure. Took place last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/25/shark-fin-ban-vote.html

Toronto city council has voted to ban the sale of shark fin in the city.
The ban, suggested by councillors John Parker, Glenn De Baeremaeker and Kristyn Wong-Tam, will outlaw the possession, sale, trade and distribution of shark fins or their derivative products.
The proposal passed easily - by a vote of 38 to 4.
Shark fins are used in a soup that is often served at traditional Chinese weddings.
Those who support the ban say sharks are killed inhumanely and often thrown into the ocean alive after their fins are sliced off.
Those who opposed the ban say the soup is a traditional dish and insist the sharks are killed humanely.
Before the vote Mayor Rob Ford said he didn't think it was the city's responsibility to ban the sale of shark fins and that he wouldn't support the motion.
"I don't think it's in our purview to do that," he told CBC. "If other councillors want to do it it's an open vote. It's been going on for so long I don't know why it's an issue now."
About 100 protesters showed up outside City Hall, claiming a ban would hurt the restaurant industry.
The proposed bylaw will ban any use of shark fin and will impose fines ranging from $5,000 for a first offence to $100,000 for a third offence.
Some critics have argued that imposing a ban in Toronto will not end the problem since customers who want to eat shark fin soup will just travel to another municipality that doesn't have a ban.
They argue that the federal government needs to impose a national ban on the importation and consumption of shark fin.
Toronto is the fourth city in Ontario to enact a shark fin ban, joining Brantford, Oakville, and Mississauga.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
let be honest here, shark fin have no taste, no one in the world eat it other than chin. that a fact.

probably in the past yes. Eating sharksfin is machiam like a status show off, and most rich tao keh, or wannabe will do that.

in recent times, every mother son go to a chinese restaurant will order sharksfin, this has cheapen this once treasured commodity.

so in present context, not only chin takes them, every color, language all eat sharkfins.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually come to think of it, shark fins dun have much taste 1, its just the texture that people wanna eat. just like how people like to eat fish man or sea cucumber...