• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat which is the best chicken rice stall

Which is the best chicken rice?

• 5 Star

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boon Tong Kee

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Chatterbox

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Loy Kee

• Swee Kee

• Tian Tian

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Wee Nam Kee

• Chin Chin

• Yet Con

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because I grew up in Queenstown, driving centre to be exact, the Margaret Drive food centre (Tah Chung departmental store) is very familiar to me and also the stalls in the hawker centre. When the food centre was torn down Sin Kee Famous Chicken Rice was split into two or rather 3 where a son Niven opened a stall at Alexandra Village known as Uncle Chicken Rice. Father, Mr Leong with another son Benson started a new stall at Meiling Market, then there is the 3rd, a renegade group which is formed by some of their workers opened an aircon shop at the old Commonwealth Avenue round roof market -

View attachment 69632

I should not call this renegade group "not original" because come on they we are from that original group with the owner Mr. Leong right? Its just that they used the same name and passed off as the owner thats all. I visited this joint a few times I have to say the taste of the rice is a little different, less fragrant. During my visits I did ask them where is Mr. Leong they simply said they don't know so I suspected something is going on. When I found father and son team opened at Meiling I started going there and stopped visiting the one at Commonwealth Avenue market. I also asked Benson what's with the Commonwealth branch he simply said they are not related.

So father and son were running the Meiling market stall for a while. It was also while there the Senior Leong passed away. Benson was running the show then.

One day, abruptly this Meiling stall closed. Yes no one know why, it simply closed without any sign or notice, it simply closed. I asked my friend owner of the famous fishball noodle also from Margaret Drive he told me everyone in the market also puzzled no one know what happened. After sometime I forgot how long maybe a year or more there was news that Benson had teamed up with brother Niven opening a stall somewhere in the east I believe Changi road. I did not visit.

Now let's talk about the renegade group by the workers. While Meiling stall was suddenly closed, the government took the Commonwealth Market back and and so the renegade group moved to 44 Holland Drive market, by the way this stall is still there now, it sells wanton noodle too. Also at the same time you started to see Sin Kee in many places even in Suntec/Millenia.

As sudden as Sin Kee in Meiling close one day Benson was found in Block 40 Holland Drive and he has been there till now.

As for the rest all I can say is they are not from the Leong family.

By the way the stall abandon by Benson had recently opened by the renegade group again calling themselves Sin Kee occupying the original 2 side by side stalls but this time one stall is selling chicken rice while another stall is selling fried chicken wings and fried beehoon and now they are passing off themselves as the 16 storey (十六楼) famolud fried chicken wings, seems like they are off to no good.

spot on, i was an old friend of the senior Mr Leong,
they always use big and fat chickens so that there is lots of 'jelly' when the chickens are properly cooked....
nowadays the sons could not replicate the father's skill 100% not because they are not capable, its because, chickens are slaughtered in slaughter houses and chilled for at least half a day before being sent to the hawkers.....

40 years back, the chickens are freshly slaughtered in the wet markets and reach the hawkers within a few hours...thats why

btw, there was a very nice char kway tiaw stall with lots of cockles on the ground floor of margaret drive, any idea where is it now?

Last edited:

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Passed by many times, not many people queueing.

The stall nearby selling curry rice has excellent business.

AF1QipMH7FNYr9aG0ZGHUGK05tHPdqpWjVlLr89say7O=s800
Is the famous western food with the reddish sweet gravy still there or has it also spun off to Clementi?

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
spot on, i was an old friend of the senior Mr Leong,
they always use big and fat chickens so that there is lots of 'jelly' when the chickens are properly cooked....
nowadays the sons could not replicate the father's skill 100% not because they are not capable, its because, chickens are slaughtered in slaughter houses and chilled for at least half a day before being sent to the hawkers.....

40 years back, the chickens are freshly slaughtered in the wet markets and reach the hawkers within a few hours...thats why
Both the kampong chicken at Thomson and at shunfu are still preparing the 白斩with jelly

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both the kampong chicken at Thomson and at shunfu are still preparing the 白斩with jelly
[/QUOTE

i ate the thomson one many times, yes there is still jelly but not as much as when the chickens are fat....the jelly is actually the chicken fats i think, i am not 100% sure of that though.....i have probably slaughtered more than a million chickens during my time in the wet market, (17 years)

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
And anyone remembered the 2 corner drinks /ice kachang stalls that were fierce rivals?

My favourite fishball noodles was the one along the same row facing the carpark

I've already forgotten about the dessert stalls until you mentioned. Those were the days Saturdays after scout will go to hawker centre have ice kachang and meesiam. Wonder where the meesiam now.

The fishball noodle shop you mentioned is the one I posted above, Hup Kee in Mei Ling market now.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Passed by many times, not many people queueing.

The stall nearby selling curry rice has excellent business.

Tung Kee Chicken Rice is lunch crowd can be quite a queue

Curry rice opens only late afternoon and early evening finish liao. Tried once before so so only.

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
IMG20190519143539-01-02.jpg

Pin Xiang Hainanese Chicken Rice's (品香雞飯) fastidious adherence to quality, process and tradition has almost secured itself cult status among ordinary folks seeking delectable eats at affordable prices - abundantly evident from hordes often seen making a beeline for its stall inside Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre during lunch and dinner hours. Specially handpicked birds (each must weigh at least 2.2kg to qualify for the death penalty) are delivered fresh from farms thus ensuring textural consistency meat-wise; no expense is spared either in making certain both rice and chili sauce served meet stringent authenticity standards cultivated and refined over 3 decades.

Besides offering customary steamed and roasted versions of the signature dish, Pin Xiang also puts forth interesting interpretations such as Salad Chicken Rice and Thai Chicken Rice, alongside non-mainstream "snacks" including Crispy Bean Curd and Vegetables With Oyster Sauce.

................Bona fide chicken rice fans will be acutely cognizant of how difficult it is to whip up phenomenally tasting rice: enabling added pandan leaves, garlic and ginger to rouse not nauseate, granting chicken stock and oil adequate passage to effuse their essences without instigating overly weepy, greasy grains......the list of requirements continues. It was therefore heartening Pin Xiang's propositioned satisfying fluff and aroma less dreaded oily undertones, albeit a granular dryness persisting throughout. Paired with thick, full-bodied chili bearing all the hallmarks of god's wrath and unrelenting prick, be prepared to go zing then zang sideways.

More at https://www.thefooddossier.com/2019/05/pin-xiang-chicken-rice.html

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pin Xiang Hainanese Chicken Rice's (品香雞飯) fastidious adherence to quality, process and tradition has almost secured itself cult status among ordinary folks seeking delectable eats at affordable prices - abundantly evident from hordes often seen making a beeline for its stall inside Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre during lunch and dinner hours. Specially handpicked birds (each must weigh at least 2.2kg to qualify for the death penalty) are delivered fresh from farms thus ensuring textural consistency meat-wise; no expense is spared either in making certain both rice and chili sauce served meet stringent authenticity standards cultivated and refined over 3 decades.

Besides offering customary steamed and roasted versions of the signature dish, Pin Xiang also puts forth interesting interpretations such as Salad Chicken Rice and Thai Chicken Rice, alongside non-mainstream "snacks" including Crispy Bean Curd and Vegetables With Oyster Sauce.

................Bona fide chicken rice fans will be acutely cognizant of how difficult it is to whip up phenomenally tasting rice: enabling added pandan leaves, garlic and ginger to rouse not nauseate, granting chicken stock and oil adequate passage to effuse their essences without instigating overly weepy, greasy grains......the list of requirements continues. It was therefore heartening Pin Xiang's propositioned satisfying fluff and aroma less dreaded oily undertones, albeit a granular dryness persisting throughout. Paired with thick, full-bodied chili bearing all the hallmarks of god's wrath and unrelenting prick, be prepared to go zing then zang sideways.

the kiam chye that comes together with the chicken is very good, there is anothor shop in bukit merah view right next to the bus stop, selling chicken rice also has the same delicious kiam chye, the chicken better i think

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal

Look good