• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Which Brand for Progressive Lens

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone here has experience in using progressive lens for your specs? Which brand do you recommend?
Heard from some that European brands such as Essilor is not so good.

I'm looking for a brand which has reasonable price and very little distortion.
Is Hoya brand good in progressive lens?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'm looking for a brand which has reasonable price and very little distortion.
Is Hoya brand good in progressive lens?

The brand is far less important than the correct measurement of the parameters. This is determined by the skill of the optician and the equipment he uses.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone here has experience in using progressive lens for your specs? Which brand do you recommend?
Heard from some that European brands such as Essilor is not so good. ........

My own experience with progessives have not been satisfactory. One done in Canada, one here in Sg (don't know what brand.) After a few weeks, the near section goes out of whack and I have to remove my glasses when I read. My next pair I will just get regular short-sighted lenses and remove my glasses when I read. Progressives not worth the price. My friend (just turned sixty) and got himself what he calls his last present - a Harley Davidson Sportster. He has progressives too and when looking at the road ahead, all is fine. When he glances down to peek at the speed - can't see fuckall!!! He has progressives too.

Cheers!

Silent88scope

Alfrescian
Loyal
My own experience with progessives have not been satisfactory. One done in Canada, one here in Sg (don't know what brand.) After a few weeks, the near section goes out of whack and I have to remove my glasses when I read. My next pair I will just get regular short-sighted lenses and remove my glasses when I read. Progressives not worth the price. My friend (just turned sixty) and got himself what he calls his last present - a Harley Davidson Sportster. He has progressives too and when looking at the road ahead, all is fine. When he glances down to peek at the speed - can't see fuckall!!! He has progressives too.

Cheers!

Heard it takes a lot of practice to get use to using progressive lens.

If skill of the optician and the equipment he uses will determine the outcome of the progressive lens, I wonder anyone here knows
which optician outlet in S'pore is good in this area. Most of the optician outlet that I came across are of pretty small setting and I
don't think they have that kind of equipment to take good measurements for progressive lens.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Try Nikon Seemax...natural n low distortion among top progressive lenses...not cheap thou...

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
which optician outlet in S'pore is good in this area.

JJ Han, Eversharp at Shaw centre, ground floor behind Isetan is an old hand at this but his equipments and frames that he carries seem out of date
When I made a pair of glasses there I bought frame from other place

T

TuaTeetu

If skill of the optician and the equipment he uses will determine the outcome of the progressive lens, I wonder anyone here knows
which optician outlet in S'pore is good in this area. Most of the optician outlet that I came across are of pretty small setting and I
don't think they have that kind of equipment to take good measurements for progressive lens.

Nanyang optical level 4 clementi mall.

Ask for the chubby cute leng loui. She is Beri professional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Despite being four-eyed since my teens, I am no authority on optical science. I would simpy say that as we age, our eye muscles lose their ability to adjust our focus, some worse than others. I believe my myopia has reach its maximum level of inefficiency (no degree change in the last fifteen or so years), but near level focus (between reading at book distance to computer screen distance) seem to change. Don`t know what is happening. Grew out of contact lenses years ago and not trusting of lasik, stick with spectacles. Just live with it I guess.

Cheers!

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are planning to invest a big amount of money in eye wear, I suggest you seriously consider LASIK surgery.

1. More permanent solution
2. No or less recurring cost (as you'll likely need to replace your glasses regularly)
3. Aesthetic consideration
4. For active life styles like sport, physical exercise, etc

Good hunting ...

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are planning to invest a big amount of money in eye wear, I suggest you seriously consider LASIK surgery.

1. More permanent solution
2. No or less recurring cost (as you'll likely need to replace your glasses regularly)
3. Aesthetic consideration
4. For active life styles like sport, physical exercise, etc

Good hunting ...

When ur young, lasik is fine. Once age catches up, u hv a hosts of eye problems and lasik adds to it. Eg. With lasik, reading glasses becomes a necessity sooner than later. What abt cataract? I suspect sometimes lasik may also cause cornea to be too thin for cataract correction.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
When ur young, lasik is fine. Once age catches up, u hv a hosts of eye problems and lasik adds to it. Eg. With lasik, reading glasses becomes a necessity sooner than later. What abt cataract? I suspect sometimes lasik may also cause cornea to be too thin for cataract correction.

Cataract happens to many Asian old folks due to our diet... Both my parent undergone the minor operation.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agoraphobic said:
Despite being four-eyed since my teens, I am no authority on optical science. I would simpy say that as we age, our eye muscles lose their ability to adjust our focus, some worse than others. I believe my myopia has reach its maximum level of inefficiency (no degree change in the last fifteen or so years), but near level focus (between reading at book distance to computer screen distance) seem to change. Don`t know what is happening. Grew out of contact lenses years ago and not trusting of lasik, stick with spectacles. Just live with it I guess.

Cheers!

As you get older, your near sight fails you and very soon from +1.0, you become +1.5, +2.0, even +3.0 within a very short time. And when you get cataract ops done on one eye, the situation gets a bit complicated. You can correct for long distance with a new lens but it creates an in-balance with the "good" eye. If you can, wear a contact lens over the non-operated eye to correct the in-balance for far vision. As the contact lens sits directly on the eye, albeit with a layer of tears in between, it is the closest thing to the IOL that is inside the operated eye.

For near vision and indoor, wear a pair of progressive glasses. I disagree with LeongSam that the make does not matter. It does matter as far as how the positive diopter is done on the lens. Ideally this positive diopter geometry should be applied on the bottom and around the centre portion only and not at the sides. Epilsor lens is supposed to be able to do that, I am not too sure about the rest.

But I do agree that the fitting is even more important to get a troublesome pair of progressive glasses. The glasses should have sufficient vertical dimension to allow progressive accommodation to work properly. So avoid those thin, horizontal frames. Where the progressive geometry starts is also important. If it starts too high up and you watch TV and watch birds a lot, you do not want to droop you head doing it, very tiring for your head. If most of the time you are using it for close vision activities, by all means set it a bit higher.

Progressive glasses are particular needed for cataract operated eyes because of the limited focal range of the artificial lens. In a daytime active mode, I will use this combination, contact lenses with glasses for near sight. For more relaxed vision, say at night and you want to rest your contacts wearing eyes, you might go for fully powered progressive glasses but if you have high myopia and have done cataract operation on only one eye, I suggest you use it only indoor because of the vision imbalance.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
As you get older,.................................................

Gosh, you really explained it in detail. I do not know if I can remember all of that the next time I go to the optometrist/optician to discuss how I want my next pair made. All I know is that the reason I quit contact lenses is that when I go home drunk at night, find difficulty is getting them out and into their storage boxes. With glasses, just chuck them at my bedside and snooze away.

Cheer!

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agoraphobic said:
Gosh, you really explained it in detail. I do not know if I can remember all of that the next time I go to the optometrist/optician to discuss how I want my next pair made. All I know is that the reason I quit contact lenses is that when I go home drunk at night, find difficulty is getting them out and into their storage boxes. With glasses, just chuck them at my bedside and snooze away.

Cheer!

I have a lot of trouble with my eyesight for many years and pick up a thing or two along the way. If you do not have cataract operation done on one eye and you can manage with glasses in all situations, glasses is probably best for you. It is fuss free.

If one day you have to do an one-eye cataract operation and you have high myopia on the other eye, since you have used contact lenses before, it is quite easy for you to re-start using contacts on the non-operated eye if the doctor recommends it. Meantime take good care of your health so that you don't develop glaucoma.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a lot of trouble with my eyesight for many years and pick up a thing or two along the way. If you do not have cataract operation done on one eye and you can manage with glasses in all situations, glasses is probably best for you. It is fuss free.

If one day you have to do an one-eye cataract operation and you have high myopia on the other eye, since you have used contact lenses before, it is quite easy for you to re-start using contacts on the non-operated eye if the doctor recommends it. Meantime take good care of your health so that you don't develop glaucoma.

Many thanks for your guidelines. I smoke pot - that cures glaucoma. But cataract, don't know. I suppose there are things in life that may be fated.

Cheers!

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Myopia of -2.5 both eyes and astig. I had ICL surgery done in Feb this year. So far so good esp vision at night. It is just like back to normal vision although in my case the doctor deliberately undercorrect to off-set old flower eyesight when I am older.