• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where do you tailor your shirts these days ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And for those who had it done in Bangkok, likewise, how much did you pay per shirt ?

The prices in Bangkok seem to have gone up. At Amarin Plaza, it's almost impossible to find anything below 1,000 baht. MBK used to charge 700 baht per shirt.

Many years ago I made suits, pants & shirts in BKK. At that time it was about the same price as buying off the rack from Robinsons in Spore. As it was bought as package can't remember the cost :smile:

I didn't nit pick on the price & selected materials from italy & UK. As well as materials made in LOS. The imported materials have a tighter weave & are finer. If I were to do it again I would choose all imported materials from Europe & UK.

I wanted to re-visit to make more pants but never did. :o The tailor was http://www.ravistailor.com/
I still wear wear those pants & shirts today. People don't realise how different custom tailored cloths are. You get to select superior materials & the custom fit is unmatched from off rack cloths:smile:

It's really hard to do a price comparison because the tailors can cut corners by providing cheaper material to satisfy a cost conscious customers. I tried another tailor in BKK located at Sukhumvit near the Ambassador hotel. The experience was different, the tailor didn't show me as many different materials as Ravis. The trousers that were made didn't have a lining as the one provided at Ravi's.

Last edited:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
People don't realise how different custom tailored cloths are. You get to select superior materials & the custom fit is unmatched from off rack cloths:smile:

Most of the mama tailors in Bangkok would recommend 100% cotton from Japan, and it's between 1,000 - 1,500. I think it's kind of expensive. The Italian fabric are going for $1,800 to $2,500, and they don't come in rolls.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of the mama tailors in Bangkok would recommend 100% cotton from Japan, and it's between 1,000 - 1,500. I think it's kind of expensive. The Italian fabric are going for $1,800 to $2,500, and they don't come in rolls.

I was shown many, many, many rolls of material. They had more material choices than I wanted to see:smile: I wasn't shown anything from Japan. Many of the materials are the same european brands I see in the tailor shops in Spore

Ravi's has reps visiting places like the US to take measurements of clients. They obviously cater to the angmo customers.

They have have my measurements on file & I can re-order by email. However I've lost weight since my original fitting. Even after all these years I still get emails from them on their latest promotions.

If price is an issue, the labor & overheads is cheaper in LOS. To do real price comparison, maybe you should buy just the material & shop for a tailoring service:confused: Don't know if this is practical as I'm sure tailors mark up on the material?.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was shown many, many, many rolls of material.
If price is an issue, the labor & overheads is cheaper in LOS. To do real price comparison, maybe you should buy just the material & shop for a tailoring service:confused: Don't know if this is practical as I'm sure tailors mark up on the material?.

I'm just wondering if prices in Singapore have gone up just like Bangkok. Singapore used to be $55 per shirt at Peninsula Plaza. And Bangkok was about 800 baht until recently when almost all shops started charging 1,200 baht to 1,500 baht. Then again, it's still cheaper than shirts that are being sold at major departmental stores such as Robinsons and Central.

The best part about tailoring in Bangkok is imitation - they have Burberry's and OAKS prints.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think the cost for tailored shirts / pants / suits have all gone up.

the price of cotton has been shooting through the roof since past 2 years...much thanks go to our PRC friends for hoarding.

so, whether it is BKK or Singapore, prices are going up.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm just wondering if prices in Singapore have gone up just like Bangkok. Singapore used to be $55 per shirt at Peninsula Plaza. And Bangkok was about 800 baht until recently when almost all shops started charging 1,200 baht to 1,500 baht. Then again, it's still cheaper than shirts that are being sold at major departmental stores such as Robinsons and Central.

The best part about tailoring in Bangkok is imitation - they have Burberry's and OAKS prints.

As bro amoeba has pointed out the price of cotton went sky high when commodity prices increased. Prices have now dropped but the tailors might still have stock of the expensive materials. Baht is also much stronger than in the old days so LOS is not as cheap:(.

The cutters & the people doing the sewing are the thais. The indians are just the biznis owners & do the measuring & marketing. However thai indians are the ones pocketing the $$$, so of course they will charge whatever the think the market rate is:smile: If you want cheaper prices you can look for stores owned by thai tailors & not the indians. They don't have the $$$ to carry a large selection of material. If you already have the material, you can approach any thai tailor to make your pants/shirts.

If you have the material you can even go to Batam where the labor is cheap.

andy121

I Use Tom's Fashion. His website is TomsFashion.com and the address is 19, Soi Preeda, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

"Best service I can remember getting while shopping. Very friendly and helpful. I am extremely happy with my purchase, my suits, pants and shirts I will definately order more in the future. They also have excellent ties."

Zacvier

Based on my knowledge, this is what i gathered.

Singapore Tailors
Top tier ($$$$)
- Kevin Seah Bespoke
- Q Menswear - recommended if you don't mind paying extra

Middle Tier ($$$)
- Marcella - heard the quality of the shirt is not that good
- Ethan Men (No shop) - service is good, I bought a shirt and pants.
- Edit Suits - heard service is good too
- Este Bartin - just opened a shop at Toa Payoh
- Mr Gentleman (No shop) - Their stuffs quite trendy

Lower Tier ($$)
- Seah Im Market Ai Mei - recommended if you prefer something cheap and fitting
- Grandcity tailor