• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore family eating dinner in JB finds car window smashed, valuables stolen

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE

Singapore family eating dinner in JB finds car window smashed, valuables stolen​

image_354.jpg

PHOTO: Stomp
PUBLISHED ONJULY 10, 2023 9:17 PM
ByCHERLYNN NG

A meal out in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, on Saturday night (July 8) turned sour for a family after they returned to their car to find that it had been broken into.
Stomp contributor IK said cash of RM570 (around S$165), two bags and her sister's mobile phone were stolen from the vehicle.
She recounted: "Our family went for dinner at a restaurant at Jalan Layang 16. My husband dropped the family in front of the restaurant because my 77-year-old mother has walking difficulties and is using a wheelchair most of the time.

"After my husband dropped us off, he parked a short distance ahead from the restaurant because the other parking lots were full."

According to IK, her husband parked under a road sign.
JBtheft_stomp.jpg
The sign that the family had parked under. PHOTO: Stomp
The Stomp contributor added: "When we were done with dinner, we walked back to the car and realised that our car window had been smashed with a stolen t-shirt. The shirt hanger was left on the ground and the shirt was in our backseat.

"My sister and daughter’s bags in the backseat were stolen."
IK believes that the burglars had likely been observing her family before choosing them as targets.

She also said the hanger led her to believe that the shirt was stolen, as it was "unlikely the thieves brought their own shirt with a hanger along".
The shirt had likely been used to muffle the smashing sound.
IK explained: "We were at the restaurant from 6pm+ to 7.50pm and were seated in the outdoor dining area, where the burglars could see our whole family at the dining table very clearly from the parked car.

Read Also
Fake 'police' chase in Johor: What Singapore drivers should and should not do while driving in Malaysia

SINGAPORE
Fake 'police' chase in Johor: What Singapore drivers should and should not do while driving in Malaysia

"There were many cars there but we were the only ones targeted. It seemed that the burglars knew that we were at the restaurant so it is likely they were diners there too or near this popular restaurant.

"When they observed that passengers had been dropped off and the car was parked a distance away, we were locked as targets."

IK and her family lodged a police report in JB on the same night. She also noted that the smashed car window will have to be replaced, but is unsure of how much it will cost.

Speaking to Stomp while at the police station, IK said: "I would like to share this story so that fellow drivers can be more vigilant.

"Make sure to park your car nearby as you could be targeted once you drop off passengers at a crowded place and subsequently park the car away from your line of sight.
"And always bring along your bags with you. Do not leave them in the car even if you do not have your wallet or valuables in the bags."

This article was first published in Stomp. Permission required for reproduction.

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking poor Sinkies. Always looking for cheap food. Why don't the fuck they just stay at home. This is the price for going to a cheap restaurant in a shady place.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
People who leave valuables in their cars are idiots who deserve to lose their stuff.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I remember correctly, that place is near Perling town... which is a ghetto.

If you're going to that area, go to Bukit Indah and stick to the north of the roundabout, somewhere near the AEON mall.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want to enjoy the low cost of living of JB….please also be prepared to accept their high cost of public safety.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"After my husband dropped us off, he parked a short distance ahead from the restaurant because the other parking lots were full."

According to IK, her husband parked under a road sign.

The locals there probably don't park their cars like that, great way to announce you're a daft Sinkie from afar. :biggrin:

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I remember correctly, that place is near Perling town... which is a ghetto.

If you're going to that area, go to Bukit Indah and stick to the north of the roundabout, somewhere near the AEON mall.
yeah u got to be a little street smart when you are in a foreign country. yes, it is a foreign country with different social set up even if you can drive in and out within hours from your own country. Why not just keep it as not being street smart and get a lesson learnt.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
How many passengers were in the seats?
It mentioned My 77 yo mum with wheelchair, my sister and her daughter.
Got the stomper and her husband.
Like this never get targeted then I worry.