• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what to do with music CDs

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just bought a pair of speakers, Monitor Audio Bronze @ Adelphi for $450/-,
only about 8"x16" but more solid than my old and big speakers.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold speakers . Also got them from Adelphi, from the store near the escalator right:confused:

I actually got them because I needed rear speakers. Was using them in a 7 speaker setup with my Yamaha A1.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Gold speakers . Also got them from Adelphi, from the store near the escalator right:confused:

I actually got them because I needed rear speakers. Was using them in a 7 speaker setup with my Yamaha A1.

Monitor Gold Bx2?...the shop right up the escalator, was it 2nd floor to your left, dealing in Monitor Audio Speakers, right? Have not been there for a very long time, used to wander around there often...:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Monitor Gold Bx2?...the shop right up the escalator, was it 2nd floor to your left, dealing in Monitor Audio Speakers, right? Have not been there for a very long time, used to wander around there often...:biggrin:

If I remember correctly it's on the main floor. Many of the HiFi stores have made way for stores selling handbags, TCM, spa services, opticians, skin clinics,...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I remember correctly it's on the main floor. Many of the HiFi stores have made way for stores selling handbags, TCM, spa services, opticians, skin clinics,...

1st Floor??.....Tat Chuan, KEF etc...the one that is always having some cheap sales...how many of them are gone? have not been there for a long time..used to be the place for all things Hi Fi....

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Swing Out Sister Private View
Monday Michiru Recollections
Monday Michiru Selections 1997-2000
Monday Michiru You Make Me (single)
Monday Michiru Episodes in Color
Monday Michiru Double Image
Misia Misia Greatest Hits
Bird 極上ハイブリッド
Bird MindTravel
Aretha Franklin A Rose Is Still a Rose
Anita Baker My Everything
Dina Carroll Someone Like You
Colonial Cousins Colonial Cousins
Celine Dion D'Eux
Lara Fabian Pure
Les Nubians Princesses Nubiennes
Mariah Carey #1's
Take That Greatest Hits
Vesta Relationships
MC Solaar Prose Combat
MC Solaar Qui Seme le Vent Recolte le Tempo
OST Morning Raga: A Meeting of Worlds
Maxwell Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Swing Out Sister Private View
Monday Michiru Recollections
Monday Michiru Selections 1997-2000
Monday Michiru You Make Me (single)
Monday Michiru Episodes in Color
Monday Michiru Double Image
Misia Misia Greatest Hits
Bird 極上ハイブリッド
Bird MindTravel
Aretha Franklin A Rose Is Still a Rose
Anita Baker My Everything
Dina Carroll Someone Like You
Colonial Cousins Colonial Cousins
Celine Dion D'Eux
Lara Fabian Pure
Les Nubians Princesses Nubiennes
Mariah Carey #1's
Take That Greatest Hits
Vesta Relationships
MC Solaar Prose Combat
MC Solaar Qui Seme le Vent Recolte le Tempo
OST Morning Raga: A Meeting of Worlds
Maxwell Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite

see your list...............you'll need to pay me 15 bucks per disc..............horrible music taste you got...........

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

is that a recent thing.................if so, GOOOOD to see the local hifi scene biting the dust............so many foreigners now business got worse................si liao lah..............:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
save them as backup just in case you lose your mp3 files. unless you have variable bit rate (vbr) mp3 today, where the technology adjust the sampling rate variably depending on the audio segment, from 128 kbps to 320 kbps, you're better off listening to cd quality music. mp3 audio quality becomes more in line with cd when you increase the sampling rate to 256 kbps. most older mp3 format are in the 128 kbps to 192 kbps range, which in home hi-fi settings are horrible to the discerning ear. for walking, jogging, biking or driving with street noise, 128 kbps mp3 will do. but at home in quiet solitude (without ah neh disturbing your peace), you can enjoy hi-fi audio on a vbr mp3 player or at least a 256 kbps mp3 player. your files are larger, of course, with higher bit rates.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
5268121274_a654eb31d1_z.jpg

you can hang them in the garden to chase away birds

TheHumanLeague

Alfrescian
Loyal
save them as backup just in case you lose your mp3 files. unless you have variable bit rate (vbr) mp3 today, where the technology adjust the sampling rate variably depending on the audio segment, from 128 kbps to 320 kbps, you're better off listening to cd quality music. mp3 audio quality becomes more in line with cd when you increase the sampling rate to 256 kbps. most older mp3 format are in the 128 kbps to 192 kbps range, which in home hi-fi settings are horrible to the discerning ear. for walking, jogging, biking or driving with street noise, 128 kbps mp3 will do. but at home in quiet solitude (without ah neh disturbing your peace), you can enjoy hi-fi audio on a vbr mp3 player or at least a 256 kbps mp3 player. your files are larger, of course, with higher bit rates.

Neanderthal, CDs have life span of about five years?

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lisa Stansfield Affection
Lisa Stansfield So Natural
Lisa Stansfield Lisa Stansfield
Lisa Stansfield Biography
Lisa Stansfield Face Up
Khaled Kenza
Luis Miguel Segundo Romance
Total Touch Total Touch
Total Touch This Way

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lisa Stansfield Affection
Lisa Stansfield So Natural
Lisa Stansfield Lisa Stansfield
Lisa Stansfield Biography
Lisa Stansfield Face Up
Khaled Kenza
Luis Miguel Segundo Romance
Total Touch Total Touch
Total Touch This Way

Those CD's pressed in the 80's, 90's, especially from the 80's, from my experience, however audiophile quality they are, the sound quality deteriorate & some have disk rot. That is why I have replaced many of those artiste I treasured with the newer remastered ones from the 2000's, if they are available, if cannot, go back in time...get a good copy of the same, on vinyl.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dear wendy, this is for you...:o

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2pjTS7IWLMY?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

im ripping my CDs to mp3
any advice on what to do with the CDs?

converting to MP3 and dont want the CDs to weigh me down in terms of storage space and $$$

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Did I hear a request for jazz muzac
My contribution to improved taste
Birds who've flown far away
May not have time to wait
For Unsinkification to complete its course
Which will be long painful and uncertain

[video=youtube;B1MQiTYw6_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MQiTYw6_I[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1st Floor??.....Tat Chuan, KEF etc...the one that is always having some cheap sales...how many of them are gone? have not been there for a long time..used to be the place for all things Hi Fi....

I still remember when Tat Chuan used to be located at Dhoby Ghaut. Near to Cathay where they built the School of Arts building. Used to go to the A&W there. There was an aquarium shop & Tat Chuan. They got chased out & eventually moved to Adelphi. I think they are a Malaysian based company & the distributors for Onkyo, Klipsch, Sonos,... So they are big enough to survive.

Many on the upper floors have migrated to the lower floors or disappeared. Reminds me of what is happening at Sim Lim Sq. Some HiFi stores have been replaced by newer HiFi stores. Of course some are surviving but I wonder about what they are really doing because I don't see the crowds?