• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What things are cheaper in JB?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia's inflation rate heats up in Dec
CPI jumps to 3.2%, highest since Nov 2011; interest rate hike more likely
PUBLISHED JANUARY 23, 2014

[KUALA LUMPUR] Malaysia's inflation rate jumped in December, exacerbating a political headache for the government over rising living costs and increasing the chances of an early hike in interest rates this year that could further dampen consumer sentiment.

The statistics department said yesterday that the consumer price index (CPI) rose to 3.2 per cent from 2.9 per cent in November, the highest level since November 2011 and up from 1.2 per cent a year earlier. A Reuters poll had forecast it would pick up to 3.1 per cent.

Faster price rises are partly a result of a series of subsidy cuts introduced by Prime Minister Najib Razak's government last year that have eased concerns over the South-east Asian nation's high debt burden and fiscal deficit.

The measures triggered a 10 per cent rise in petrol pump prices and a 15 per cent hike in power tariffs that are filtering through to prices of other staples such as vegetables and meat.

Faster inflation is likely to prompt the central bank to raise its benchmark rate from 3 per cent this year, the first change since mid-2011. Economists are expecting a hike of between 25 and 50 basis points.

A weakening ringgit, which is down 1.5 per cent since the start of the year and at five-month lows against the dollar, could add to upward pressure on prices through more expensive imports, and reinforce the case for raising interest rates.

Those inflationary pressures, combined with high household debt, soaring property prices and, by comparison, relatively weak wage growth could leave Mr Najib vulnerable to criticism from rival factions within his own party - the United Malays National Organisation (Umno).

There is festering discontent with Mr Najib among conservatives in Umno after its multi-ethnic Barisan Nasional coalition only narrowly scraped an election victory last May.

Still, most economists expect Malaysia's economy to grow at a robust 5 per cent or more this year, following an expected 4.5-5.0 per cent growth last year, helped by a brighter global economy that should fuel its vital export sector.

But an outcry by consumers and the political opposition over the price jumps has stung the government and could lead Mr Najib to consider delaying some further belt-tightening plans, analysts say.

Food and transport prices were among those that rose fastest in December from a year earlier, gaining 4.5 per cent and 5.0 per cent respectively.

The government last week set up a special cabinet committee to tackle the cost of living and has dispatched ministers to visit local markets to warn against price-gouging.

Rahul Bajoria, an economist at Barclays Capital in Singapore, said the government could delay plans for road toll hikes and increase cash handouts for poorer Malaysians, but was unlikely to backtrack on its main fiscal tightening steps.

"The fiscal situation needs to be controlled," he said. "The government is in the first year of its new term, I don't think that it will really turn populist at this point."

Two-thirds of Malaysian households earn less than RM5,000 ringgit (S$1,920) a month, according to recent data. Consumer debt in Malaysia is among the highest in Asia at around 83 per cent of GDP.

Surging housing prices in major urban centres such as Kuala Lumpur, which aren't reflected in inflation figures, have added to middle-class angst over the cost of living.

"The property market really adds to the feeling that things aren't improving," said Nor Zahidi Alias, chief economist at the Malaysian Rating Corporation.

Indebted consumers could take another hit this year if a weakening ringgit and higher inflation force the central bank to tighten monetary policy more than expected.

Later in the year, the government is expected to announce a further cut in fuel subsidies, followed at the beginning of 2015 by the introduction of a new consumption tax at 6 per cent.

"This year is not going to be as benign as last year," said Mr Nor Zahidi.

"Inflation is going to be a little bit hotter, especially in the second half of the year." - Reuters

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/premium/malaysia/malaysias-inflation-rate-heats-dec-20140123

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Swimming in JB expensive! Just went Daiman Sports Complex with family last night for swimming (water really cold man!), pay RM42 for all. RM10 for adults. Singapore at most $2 for adults. Those in condos or landed where swimming pool facilities are already there, good for you. Anyone in this group I can "exploit"? :p

morpling

Hi, kindly pm me the dentist contact as well.
Thanks in advance.

Quotes from a few SG dentists for braces for my son range from S$4,500 to S$5,000. I was recommended a dentist in Skudai who's charging me RM2,500 to RM3,000 at the very most. Her clinic is very clean with impressive equipment. And since she's successfully done braces for two other kids whom I personally know, it became a no-brainer which dentist I choose.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Swimming in JB expensive! Just went Daiman Sports Complex with family last night for swimming (water really cold man!), pay RM42 for all. RM10 for adults. Singapore at most $2 for adults. Those in condos or landed where swimming pool facilities are already there, good for you. Anyone in this group I can "exploit"? :p

Buy a condominium with swimming pool facility. That be good. You can swim any time you like and want.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy a condominium with swimming pool facility. That be good. You can swim any time you like and want.

Already bought landed and settled in. So buying condo not option anymore. So looking to "exploit" others. Back in Singapore we usually go to sis in law condo to swim, even when she is not around.:p

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already bought landed and settled in. So buying condo not option anymore. So looking to "exploit" others. Back in Singapore we usually go to sis in law condo to swim, even when she is not around.:p

I actually wanted to buy a property in Malaysia, JB !

I am planning to move into Malaysia but still ply my trade in Singapore

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually wanted to buy a property in Malaysia, JB !

I am planning to move into Malaysia but still ply my trade in Singapore

Good on you! Wish you a happy house hunting in JB! There are many knowledgeable kor kors and jie jies here, some own a few properties, some even have properties to let go.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good on you! Wish you a happy house hunting in JB! There are many knowledgeable kor kors and jie jies here, some own a few properties, some even have properties to let go.

Anyone with property with less then 500k Ringgit property to let go ?

Last edited:

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try the Caring Pharmacy in Puteri Harbour. Well stocked, friendly attendants. I buy my cholesterol medicines, Crestor, for 1/3 of Singapore Price. Lipitor is even cheaper.

Hi IR, how's Crestor compared to Lipitor? I bought Lipitor from Apex in City Sq which is about 20% cheaper than the pharmacy in Mydin.

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi IR, how's Crestor compared to Lipitor? I bought Lipitor from Apex in City Sq which is about 20% cheaper than the pharmacy in Mydin.

Hi Cheerguan: My doctor just switched me last month from Lipitor to Crestor, saying that it will further bring down the Bad LDL Cholesterol. So, this IR Guinea Pig will let you know in a month on two if it is really that good. :-)

Sorry, a bit off topic, so apologies to the rest. Cheerguan, I will PM you when I get the test done.

I don't remember the price for Lipitor, but for Crestor 10, Caring charged me RM 108 for 28 tab box. Will try Apex next time. Thanks.

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cheerguan: My doctor just switched me last month from Lipitor to Crestor, saying that it will further bring down the Bad LDL Cholesterol. So, this IR Guinea Pig will let you know in a month on two if it is really that good. :-)

Sorry, a bit off topic, so apologies to the rest. Cheerguan, I will PM you when I get the test done.

I don't remember the price for Lipitor, but for Crestor 10, Caring charged me RM 108 for 28 tab box. Will try Apex next time. Thanks.

Hi IR, yes, better to pm instead of posting here. Thanks in advance.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pioneer scheme has just been announced. Please check if ur eligible. It means better healthcare for our pioneers but it also those working will be taxed more. In addition, medical treatment prices will increase as hospitals capitalize on subsidies available. Those outside e scheme will bear e load.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
wo-thirds of Malaysian households earn less than RM5,000 ringgit (S$1,920) a month, according to recent data. Consumer debt in Malaysia is among the highest in Asia at around 83 per cent of GDP.

If 2/3 of Malaysian house hold is earning less then 5000RM , how can they afford to eat out ?

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

hey iskandarocks

buy from my pharmacy , crestor is rm98 or rm99. sign up for membership free . i always buy for my relatives. there is at least one my pharmacy at every area . u can go to nusta bestari , beside maybank .

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
wo-thirds of Malaysian households earn less than RM5,000 ringgit (S$1,920) a month, according to recent data. Consumer debt in Malaysia is among the highest in Asia at around 83 per cent of GDP.

If 2/3 of Malaysian house hold is earning less then 5000RM , how can they afford to eat out ?

The survey should cover city areas only, then it is more reflective of the income level and affordability. Rural areas' income are lower and cost of living are also correspondingly cheaper. But they have land to grow crops and rear animals to supplement their income.

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey iskandarocks

buy from my pharmacy , crestor is rm98 or rm99. sign up for membership free . i always buy for my relatives. there is at least one my pharmacy at every area . u can go to nusta bestari , beside maybank .

Thanks Crystal! Will check them out next time.

Cheers,
IR