• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is that fish called ?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haha.

MacDonald's fish is Whitefish - meaning it can be any whitemeat fish. I think it can likely any whitefish except Cod.

Cheers!

Fish and chips shops usually use catfish or dory. Cheaper fast food joints use patties which is actually reconstituted fish parts.

For anyone who confidently presumes that cod will be served battered and deep fried, just shows how hopelessly ignorant he(or she) is. :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fish and chips shops usually use catfish or dory. Cheaper fast food joints use patties which is actually reconstituted fish parts.

For anyone who confidently presumes that cod will be served battered and deep fried, just shows how hopelessly ignorant he(or she) is. :rolleyes:

Many, not all, in SINgapore, don't know their pfish!, many don't know or don't want to know, what quality of food they are getting. They just pay, just like the government..what the pfish!:rolleyes:

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many fish & chips shops are turning to shark. Shark meat is quite bland, and being firm and relatively boneless, is ideal for battered n fried. The other popular alternative is the silver catfish, also known as patin in Malaysia. Its farmed in exported huge quantities as fillets from Vietnam. I believe they're marketed as Pangasius. I used to buy these at Giant, sometimes only $1.50 for 3 packets when on special. Great for battered fish or grilled in banana leaves.

Cod? Only the Michelin starred restaurants use cod because its prohibitive price. Even the pacific dory is being priced out of the fish n chip market. The only thing original left in F&C is the chips and newspaper (I could be wrong but nowadays even the newspaper is being discarded for better packaging as the dish goes upmarket.)

A poster here is correct. Soon hock is marbled goby. Available but not in demand here in Cambodia, don't know if's because of the price. I occasionally see it in the market near my house.

Last edited:

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cod is no longer used in North America since the cod stock collasped in the early 90's. In North America, MacD used the horrible tasting pollock . In OZ , I think they use hoki. Not sure what they use in southeast asia.

Haha.

MacDonald's fish is Whitefish - meaning it can be any whitemeat fish. I think it can likely any whitefish except Cod.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many, not all, in SINgapore, don't know their pfish!, many don't know or don't want to know, what quality of food they are getting. They just pay, just like the government..what the pfish!:rolleyes:

In Sg, I haven't ordered Fish n Chips, not drawn to it with other local dishes to choose from. In Richmond Hill, I go to a Ma n Pa shop and they use Halibut in the Fish n Chips. I can't say whether it is good or not, the batter is crispy, and it is loaded with Tartar Sauce. Not a healthy fish dish, but plenty good tasting.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cod is no longer used in North America since the cod stock collasped in the early 90's. In North America, MacD used the horrible tasting pollock . In OZ , I think they use hoki. Not sure what they use in southeast asia.

Yes, Cod stocks are depleted with over fishing and the picture of that huge codfish hanging over the shoulder of the fisherman in Scott's Emulsion, they don't see those sizes anymore. Anything up to an arm's length is considered big nowadays.

In South East Asia, and probably the rest of the world, Mac would have moved to tilapia, after all, it is whitemeat (for fish) and being artificially raised in tanks, will not have a muddy taste.

Cheers!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I find the people who know their fish in singapore are most likely to be teochew. The teochew ah hia love their steam fish.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find the people who know their fish in singapore are most likely to be teochew. The teochew ah hia love their steam fish.

Many early Teochews were fishermen and lived and plied their trade in Kangkar (Upp. Serangoon). Not only were they knowledgeable 'bout fish, but farming - and frogs and turtles as well. I can't remember the names of the different frog species my uncles had for them. Once in a while when I was a kid, an uncle would spend a night catching frogs and brought them to our place the next morning. Then we'd take them to the toilet, close the door, cover the squat toilet hole (possible escape route for the jumpers), and skin them. They aren't as big as the farm raised American Bullforgs we see in the markets today though. I remember they call them Chwee Goi (water chicken).

Cheers!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Not that fond of steam fish, especially the "bei tor" fish that is popular during the Lunar New Year, or the Pormfret, don't care if it is black or white; or any steam fishes. The only one I really enjoy was the deep fried fish, don't know if it is grouper or not, by a Thai Resturant, Aroy Thai @ Funan Leuisuremall., with Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce.

I like my Pfish, deep fried!:biggrin:

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not that fond of steam fish, especially the "bei tor" fish that is popular during the Lunar New Year, or the Pormfret, don't care if it is black or white; or any steam fishes. The only one I really enjoy was the deep fried fish, don't know if it is grouper or not, by a Thai Resturant, Aroy Thai @ Funan Leuisuremall., with Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce.

I like my Pfish, deep fried!:biggrin:
Hi Halsey02,

Not sure are you refering to deep fried catfish salad? It's call pla duk foo.

See link
http://uc.exteenblog.com/googigg/images/Menu/Menu100/YumDookFoo10.jpg

The other popular deep fried fish are Sea Bass (Pla Grapong) an Cotton Fish (Pla Sam Li).

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Bestest is steamed garouper.
Betterest if tiger garouper. :p

heheh... steamed white promfret for me anytime :p:p:p
complete with mushrooms, sliced ginger, sliced tomatoes, spring onion... Ooo Laa Laa...

sibeitoolangarment

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like ngor-her. Ikan Kurau. Threadfin Salmon. Bestest.
I used to buy from overseas at USD 4 per kg. And buying by the entire piece.
Steam the head damn shiok. The flesh is soft and sweet.

Coming back to Singapore, I stick to looking for salmon offers at the hypermarts! Because Ikan kurau in Singapore are too expensive and not as fresh.
Imported Salmon will be very fresh, I will look for the fresh stock and bring back for some self prepared sashimi!
the head is also good for steaming.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not the salad, a whole fish, don't really ask, what kind of fish, but it was crispy & tasty.

I suspect it's Pla Sam Lee (Sea water fish).

Bestest is steamed garouper.
Betterest if tiger garouper. :p

heheh... steamed white promfret for me anytime :p:p:p
complete with mushrooms, sliced ginger, sliced tomatoes, spring onion... Ooo Laa Laa...

White Promfret (Bei Qiu) and Garouper (Gao Hee) are premium fish. And they are expensive in LOS and I like both.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to frequent the jalan besar "Lai huat" for it's belachan deep fried pomfret which is real yummy but didn't go now eversince it has shifted!