• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat What happen to jcube and bigbox now

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jcube decommissioned on 7aug 2023.
Big box decommissioned several years ago.
After decommissioning, what the building use as currently ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am familiar with the ongoings in the western part of Sinkieland.

JCube will be demolished to build another 'mixed development' nonsense on its site. The ice skating rink, Tiong Scarlett mart and Daiso will be missed. I am old enough to fondly remember the Jurong Entertainment Centre (JEC) that was on the spot JCube is standing on now.

Big Box is no more, it has been sold and renovated to become Perennial Business City, a place to rent rooms for conferences and events. There's a nice area on the ground floor where you can sit on the benches and relax. Big Box could never compete with its retail competitors of the Capitalmalls cartel nearby (JCube, Westgate, IMM) or the JEM mall next to it.

SinkieExile

Alfrescian
Loyal

JCube will be demolished to build another 'mixed development' nonsense on its site. The ice skating rink, Tiong Scarlett mart and Daiso will be missed. I am old enough to fondly remember the Jurong Entertainment Centre (JEC) that was on the spot JCube is standing on now.

Big Box is no more, it has been sold and renovated to become Perennial Business City, a place to rent rooms for conferences and events. There's a nice area on the ground floor where you can sit on the benches and relax. Big Box could never compete with its retail competitors of the Capitalmalls cartel nearby (JCube, Westgate, IMM) or the JEM mall next to it.

JEM and Westgate killed Jcube. Such a small area, how to support four malls? It's not Orchard Road.

Perennial Business City sounds... like an ok idea in the medium to long term, depends on how much the Jurong CBD can be built up in the next 5 to 10 years, with or without HSR.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal

I totally cannot remember what was on jcube ground before jcube was built even I visited JE very frequently last time.

I can still see big box.building standing tall.
Means is another place like expo but is for West events. And suntec for central.

Last edited:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
JCube was a shopping centre located in Jurong East, Singapore that operated from 2 April 2012 to 6 August 2023. It used to house an Olympic-size ice rink and Singapore's first IMAX theatre in the suburbs. It was built on the former site of the Jurong Entertainment Centre

Jurong_Entertainment_Centre,_Jul_06.JPG.jpg

Trying to recall what it was like before jcube.
Realised just a change in the shape of the building.
jcube.png

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JCube was a shopping centre located in Jurong East, Singapore that operated from 2 April 2012 to 6 August 2023. It used to house an Olympic-size ice rink and Singapore's first IMAX theatre in the suburbs. It was built on the former site of the Jurong Entertainment Centre

View attachment 187294
Trying to recall what it was like before jcube.
Realised just a change in the shape of the building.
View attachment 187295

You can go to Google Maps street view, then slide the timeline back to the early 2010s or mid-late 2000s.

You can see what many places used to look like before 'developments'.

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
JCube business very bad because no shelter when crossing that road from MRT station. Most people flock to West Gate or Jem, nearer....as for big box, if IKEA took over, then got hope...but it failed badly with dunno what kind of furniture shop.

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed. No room for ice skating... or horse racing. There are more profitable developments. :biggrin:
Yup...profitable developments like expensive foodcourts and fancy Michelin stars restaurants that only the rich elites can enjoy.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed. No room for ice skating... or horse racing. There are more profitable developments. :biggrin:
I think many little sinkies doesn't know how to skate and dance and doesn't want to learn or scare to do it so no market for it.
Also the hard-core horse punters already left with not many years of lifespan :frown:
Sad

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think many little sinkies doesn't know how to skate and dance and doesn't want to learn or scare to do it so no market for it.
Also the hard-core horse punters already left with not many years of lifespan :frown:
Sad

Not really, the JCube ice skating rink is always fairly crowded when I visited it.

'No market for this'... keep thinking along this line, no wonder the PAP technocrats love to screw you. :cool:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
JEM and Westgate killed Jcube. Such a small area, how to support four malls? It's not Orchard Road.

Perennial Business City sounds... like an ok idea in the medium to long term, depends on how much the Jurong CBD can be built up in the next 5 to 10 years, with or without HSR.
SG does not have critical population mass even at 6m... We need to impork more than 20m to huat big big hah

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
We dun need HSR for Jurong 2nd CBD masterplan, we need thus huat la huat la train to bring in much needed Talents from blessed hinterland

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_105929_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_105929_Opera.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 22

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not really, the JCube ice skating rink is always fairly crowded when I visited it.

'No market for this'... keep thinking along this line, no wonder the PAP technocrats love to screw you. :cool:
I thought those were mostly all curious spectators and the skaters are always the same group of repetitive customers :geek: