• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What does it mean to be poor in Singapore

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Poor in Singapore means you have a chance to get rich. I know of many sinkies, myself included, who came from humble backgrounds and eventually rose to become either rich or at least middle-class. Thank you PAP! Thank you Ah Gong!

You sound like a younger version of Leongsam. I am beginning to suspect ... ... ...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poor in Singapore means you have a chance to get rich. I know of many sinkies, myself included, who came from humble backgrounds and eventually rose to become either rich or at least middle-class. Thank you PAP! Thank you Ah Gong!

Most people don't have the skills to suck up like you do. I rather be poor than to suck up to the PAP.

Dogs like you will suffer immeasurably when the PAP falls.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why it's "you tend to", not "you are". :wink:

There are poor and materialistic people, there are rich and materialistic people. There are poor and pragmatic people, there are poor and idealistic people. So there is no "you tend to" nor "you are". As for altruistic, neither rich nor poor people are altruistic, everyone does things to get something in return. Be it in money or in kind like getting happiness. But based on my experience as a volunteer canvassing for donations, poor people are alot more charitable, easy to get factory workers to donate $5 or $10 a month compared to middle class and rich people. Difficult to convince them to donate even $1 a month.

jw5

Loyal
There are poor and materialistic people, there are rich and materialistic people. There are poor and pragmatic people, there are poor and idealistic people. So there is no "you tend to" nor "you are". As for altruistic, neither rich nor poor people are altruistic, everyone does things to get something in return. Be it in money or in kind like getting happiness. But based on my experience as a volunteer canvassing for donations, poor people are alot more charitable, easy to get factory workers to donate $5 or $10 a month compared to middle class and rich people. Difficult to convince them to donate even $1 a month.

The first part of your post is true. The last 2 sentences are based on your experience so I can't argue with that, but I have come across middle class and rich people who are generous too. It's not about rich or poor, it's about people's values towards the value of money. :wink:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first part of your post is true. The last 2 sentences are based on your experience so I can't argue with that, but I have come across middle class and rich people who are generous too. It's not about rich or poor, it's about people's values towards the value of money. :wink:

I think my experience is quite representative of the truth. Lol being a hardworking volunteer - btw I just enjoyed doing this kind of work, not being altruistic - I made quite a number of visits to factories and companies and these are my observations. There are rich and middle class people who donated generously too, but proportionately alot less of such generous people compared to the factory workers. And this was back then in early to mid 90s, when Singaporeans were feeling rich and full of hope and before all the charity scandals of NKF, Renci etc. For example, factory workers easily donate $5 a month but few middle class or high income execs donated $5 a month. Actually it makes sense too that the richer you are the more stingy you are and that's why you are rich. In reality, Tim Cook is a rarity not the norm.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
before old fart came to power, sg could be regarded as a shithole of abject poverty. that was when sinkies were truly poor. thanks to the old man, sinkies don't have to shit directly into rivers and longkangs anymore.

image.jpg

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
before old fart came to power, sg could be regarded as a shithole of abject poverty. that was when sinkies were truly poor. thanks to the old man, sinkies don't have to shit directly into rivers and longkangs anymore.

View attachment 26453

Alamak, same old story again?
Sinkapore would have developed even without Old Fart.
Let's not forget that he played Russian roulette with the lives of sinkees just because he could not be leader of Malaysia.
It is not Old Fart ...it is the Dutch economist that set sinkapore on the right growth path. Old Fart can only be credited for taking the advice.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 26453

rubbish,if u asked anyone of that era just when old fart came to power,they will tell u singapore was the shining jewel of the sea,with gdp per capital one of the highest in south east asia.there will always be slums in every country every era.what they dont show u is what slums look like in the 21st century,PAP says 1k can own HDB,go to any of those 1k HDB neighbourhoods,trust me those places are slums and death filled ghettos with the stench of old people and death.these are slums where even the developers will not touch.i stay near marine parade and old hdb estates are constantly being torn down to make way for brand new condos.

jw5

Loyal
It means that you continue working into your golden years under the pretext of exercise, leisure or enjoyment. :(

jw5

Loyal
It means that everything in your past will be examined "honestly and transparently" except your non-existent assets. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i used to visit my grannies when they were living in one of these shitholes in sg. thanks to the pap and old fart in particular for lifting them out of slums.

image.jpg