• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What a fish !

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Oh Bendemeer, i rembered that stretch.Was it by the banks aLong Boon Keng Road ?..we used to do crabbings
at the KaLLang river, just outside the vacinity of the ex Marine poLice HQ, it was a great crabbing spot !

That's right .. It's that place . When I was young love to go there catch crabs .

MeMyselfoIo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sembawang many flower crab, use to catch them at some rural area and will end up going home with a happy smile. Steam them while fresh is still the best and basic ways to makan.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the best crabbing spot when i was a kid was sembawang, any of those muddy water areas sure got nice crabs, bottom feeder. I perfected this bait technique, no need change bait one, i skewered & threaded a piece of beef to a hook & let it dry out in the sun until it was rock hard then use it for fishing bottom feeders like crabs, eels & even snakeheads. for snakeheads & soon hock it was the easiest fishing, just throw the line into any shady pond area in the morning & go to school, in the evening come back & lift the line, sure got one! they can smell the beef & no matter how long it's been in the water, it won't fall of the hook! try Fishypie.. Yolanda will have even more fish to makan :biggrin:
Wow bro, never heard of this method..but am quite sure they works.TaLk about soon hock, that's my No.1 fish
for the dining tabLe..ugLy on the outside, but damned good in bed..:wink:
Anyway, we went Sembawang as youngsters more for catching of fLower crabs..but sadLy they were getting
smaLLer in size over the years; and hence we stopped.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sembawang many flower crab, use to catch them at some rural area and will end up going home with a happy smile. Steam them while fresh is still the best and basic ways to makan.

That's right I use to go there when I was younger too . Over there have season .. One night I can catch 2 buckets full of flower crabs . easy to catch .. Just step on them when you saw them and catch them with my bare hands

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The ang Kwai kena with net casting, impressive but east coast which beach? Trevally is tua pek kong fish?

Tua pek kong is Queen fish, the one with 5 finger prints aLong it's body.Chinese seLdom consume them, either it's
because of reLigious beLiefs or some cLaimed to get rashes upon consumption.
That SiLver TrevaLLy shouLd be ikan tagai in MaLay..

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats very very heng to get ...i never had that luck.

i used to catch mat saleh chicks before when i was younger, those days the fishing grounds were the 5th floor bar at Holland Village shopping centre (UWC girls) & The Rainbow on Cuscaden Rd, the trick was not to be shy, just be friendly & chitchat, some of them just needed company.. happy days. :smile:

MeMyselfoIo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use bare hand have to use glove when strolling along sembawang beach for flower crab. see this thread my hands very itchy already. Anybody into pond fishing?

Last edited:

MeMyselfoIo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me hate pond fishing somehow..not much thriLL.Liked it's aLL pre-arranged aka match-making..:smile:

Must know the spot where the pool of KML is housing and the tactics is very important. High tide floater low tide pai ti kong. Shore fishing must know where is the secret spot Lo.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow bro, never heard of this method..but am quite sure they works.TaLk about soon hock, that's my No.1 fish
for the dining tabLe..ugLy on the outside, but damned good in bed..:wink:
Anyway, we went Sembawang as youngsters more for catching of fLower crabs..but sadLy they were getting
smaLLer in size over the years; and hence we stopped.

Yes sembawang back in those days = Flower crabs, always go when there's no moonlight, sure get better catch! I use to catch snakehead & soon hocks with that method & my mother was very happy, but i sometimes came back with no fish & she would be very sad, have to go NTUC buy fish & back in those days she would complain say NTUC fish not fresh! alamak compared to my freshly caught fish of course no fight lah.

I use to have a friend who lived in Ponggol area & his father had a outboard & we use to go fishing off Ubin there, wah never had so much fun fishing, there was one area a lot of batu under the water & our line had 5 hooks & it wasn't uncommon for all 5 hooks to come up with snapper & grouper but it was a short lived period, soon after very little fish. :(

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Use bare hand have to use glove when strolling along sembawang beach for flower crab. see this thread my hands very itchy already. Anybody into pond fishing?

Not a fisherman nor an angler but used to join friends to Tampines pond during the seventies. Learnt from them the method (for grass carp) and landed a 20 kg carp in North America many years later. Crabbing - best place I`ve done this was inland canals in the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia. They have a good law there - gotta release female crabs which we abided.

Cheers!

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i have friends who gave me aLL their pond-caught fishes for consumption; but somehow i find they tasted soiLy..
except for cooking into curries, most can't be steamed outright..

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Hands will be it itchy ? I didnt know but nothing happen to
My hand then cause I catch them without gloves . But step on it must wear shoes lah .

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes sembawang back in those days = Flower crabs, always go when there's no moonlight, sure get better catch! I use to catch snakehead & soon hocks with that method & my mother was very happy, but i sometimes came back with no fish & she would be very sad, have to go NTUC buy fish & back in those days she would complain say NTUC fish not fresh! alamak compared to my freshly caught fish of course no fight lah.

I use to have a friend who lived in Ponggol area & his father had a outboard & we use to go fishing off Ubin there, wah never had so much fun fishing, there was one area a lot of batu under the water & our line had 5 hooks & it wasn't uncommon for all 5 hooks to come up with snapper & grouper but it was a short lived period, soon after very little fish. :(

My dad took me fishing one Saturday - or rather poaching. We fished at Seletar Reservoir and caught a bucket full of Soon Hock (earth worms as bait). I tell you, the place is fucking teeming with Soon Hock, kept pulling up one after another until we got tired of it. I can`t remember the exact spot but he parked his car at some kampong and we walked quite a distance throught the undergrowth and forested areas. I remember he told me to prepare to run should the wardens show up.

Cheers!

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Not a fisherman nor an angler but used to join friends to Tampines pond during the seventies. Learnt from them the method (for grass carp) and landed a 20 kg carp in North America many years later. Crabbing - best place I`ve done this was inland canals in the Gold Coast, Queensland Australia. They have a good law there - gotta release female crabs which we abided.

Cheers!
Bro, can teLL me if it's true that Aussies' crab meats are more soggy than firm ?..hence they are not that popuLar
with Asians.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must know the spot where the pool of KML is housing and the tactics is very important. High tide floater low tide pai ti kong. Shore fishing must know where is the secret spot Lo.

I use to go to old Tampines there for pond fishing, KNN bluff money one, on the weekends a lot of rich uncles with their mercedes would park there & bring out their big fishing rod & gear but i just pay 50cts to hire the kids bamboo pole with a fixed line, then secretly used my dried beef method tied to a stake on the side of the pond, at the end of the day when packing up time i would pull up all the soon hocks & the uncles ask me what rod i use & i showed them the 50cts bamboo pole! :biggrin: had such a good laugh about it.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, can teLL me if it's true that Aussies' crab meats are more soggy than firm ?..hence they are not that popuLar
with Asians.

The crabs we got were m&d crabs - the same as what is called Sri Lankan crabs here. We steamed them and the flesh was no different than the crabs at seafood restaurants in Singapore. The difference is that we did not get any female crabs and hence no crab roe - maybe that could explain the less than desirable Ozzie crab, also, no one present was able to cook them Chilli or Pepper crab style. But I prefer them steamed anyway, just dipped into soy sauce with sliced red chillies.

Cheers!

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have friends who gave me aLL their pond-caught fishes for consumption; but somehow i find they tasted soiLy..
except for cooking into curries, most can't be steamed outright..

freshwater & river fish ALWAYS tastes muddy becos of where they live, thats why you need to tank them in running water for a few days before eating just like in those good cantonese restaurants!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes remembered flower crabs at Sembawang park.
Another good spot of old was at the foot of the bridge supports when they were building the sheares bridge. Remembered hauling in gigantic prawns then.