• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 8 Laksa in Sinkieland...

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
16624.jpg

48 Roxy Laksa
1,220 East Coast Parkway,
East Coast Lagoon Food Village, Stall 48

The owners here are third-generation laksa cooks, the original owner having sold his dish outside then Roxy theatre since 1952.
The prawns and fish cake stand out for their size and freshness. The rempah is home-made, which makes this rendition all the more unique.
Opens: 10.30am to 9pm on weekdays, 8.30am to 8.30pm on weekends and public holidays
Price: $4/5

Terry Katong Laksa
Bukit Timah Market and Food Centre, #02-094

A healthier version that doesn’t detract from hearty.
Hawker Mr Andy Koh, 47, insists on not adding MSG, sugar or evaporated milk to his laksa.
The gravy – fragrant with fresh coconut – is lighter than usual. Adding an otah costs you 50 cents, but it’s a small price to pay as it makes for a delightful combination.
Opens: 8am to 8pm daily. Closed on Wednesdays
Price: $3

Depot Road Zhen Shan Mei Claypot Laksa
Block 119 Bukit Merah Lane 1
Alexandra Village, #01-75

What’s not to love? Quality fish cake, noodles done al dente, creamy and consistent gravy.
Beansprouts, tau pok, fresh cockles and slivers of chicken breast combine in a claypot to make this a creamy delight.
You might wish the noodles were cut “Katong laksa-style” though – imagine wolfing down spoonfuls of hearty gravy and noodles in joyful abandon.
Opens: 9am to 5pm daily. Closed on Sundays
Price: $3.50/4.50/5.50

Lucy’s Penang Delights
Block 117 Aljunied Avenue 2, #01-05
(Another branch opens on Dec 8 at Block 87
Bedok North Street 4, #01-191)

As popular for its laksa as as its char kuay teow.
The recipe for this assam laksa comes from the owner’s aunt in Penang. They use kambong fish.
The sour and spicy flavours of the gravy are offset by the firm, salty and very fresh flesh of the fish.
Opens: 8am to 8pm daily. Closed on Mondays

Sungei Road Laksa
Block 27 Jalan Berseh, Jin Shui Kopitiam, #01-100

This laksa had its beginnings in a pushcart in front of an ice factory at Sungei Road in 1956.
Mr Wong Yew Poh, 73, helms this one-stall family business in front of a charcoal stove.
The gravy is light but fragrant, and there are plenty of fresh cockles. There really is little to complain about. Oh, did we mention that it costs only $2?
Opens: 9am to 6pm. Closed on alternate Wednesdays.
Price: $2/3

328 Katong Laksa
51 East Coast Road

The gravy here is “lemak” – rich, and full of coconut milk.
Noodles have a pleasant springiness and the fish cakes and shrimp are very fresh.
Opens: 8am to 10pm daily
Price: $4/5/6

Katong Laksa
1 Telok Kurau Road

Another recipe that claims it is over 40 years old. This one is special for adding minced meat to the gravy that gives both sweetness and a crumbly texture.
The owner starts making the gravy at 6am daily. The accompanying noodles are cooked al dente, and the sambal packs a seriously spicy kick.
Opens: 8am to 3pm daily
Price: $3/3.50/4

49 Katong Laksa
49 East Coast Road, Hock Tong Hin Eating House

The recipe is more than 40 years old, and was handed down from the owner’s father.
The gravy here is lighter than at its 328 counterpart, with the sambal giving a sweetish counterpoint to the otherwise spicy dish.
The cockles are satisfyingly moist too.
Opens: 9am to 9pm daily. Closes at 3pm on Mondays

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sungei Road is the best.......and Katong ones are of a different variant Nonya or something so not actually the same thing.
Katong ones some sell out already (pardon the pun) by adding prawns and removing cockles from the ingredients.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
me prefer panang laksa ... n oni got 1 in list ... n so far from where me stay sum mor ...

Spiky

Alfrescian
Loyal
I frequent Roxy Laksa and Sungei Road Laksa.

Katong Laksa - don't know which one is really the original.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which one at Sungei Road? The kopitiam which is very near the DSC clinic at Kelantan Lane? :o

Thanks.
the one opposite ah boy motor....that's the shameless fake that also sells otah.

the original real one is at block 27 at another nearby kopi shop manned by 2 white haired ah peks with his daughters.

the fake stall only claim to fame is that its was the location of the original after it moved there from sungei road....this fake stall is not related in any way to the original. many people are fooled.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
the one opposite ah boy motor....that's the shameless fake that also sells otah.

the original real one is at block 27 at another nearby kopi shop manned by 2 white haired ah peks with his daughters.

the fake stall only claim to fame is that its was the location of the original after it moved there from sungei road....this fake stall is not related in any way to the original. many people are fooled.

Thanks bro, so the one opposite those motor shops is not the real deal. OK thanks!

Will give the blk 27 one a try when I'm around the area again. :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes you are absolutely right.. That laksa stall opposite Ah Boy shop is one shameless fake.. Didn't know that before until a Malaysian WL from Petain told me so and she brought me to the genuine one at block 27..:o The gravy is top knotch.. Thats one of the best laksa that I had ever tasted..

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will always eat 3 bowls in one session when there....shiok!!!

That Sungei Road laksa is good. I used to eat there quite often when I used to work at Jalan Besar Plaza. But 3 bowls in 1 session is too much. I think men 2 bowls each and women 1 bowl each good enough.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes you are absolutely right.. That laksa stall opposite Ah Boy shop is one shameless fake.. Didn't know that before until a Malaysian WL from Petain told me so and she brought me to the genuine one at block 27..:o The gravy is top knotch.. Thats one of the best laksa that I had ever tasted..
this fake stall somehow related to the coffeeshop owner.....they raise the rent to kick out the original then took over to sell their fake laksa....many customers are none the wiser. even the operation hours and off days are the same to fool unknowning customers. really shameless.

the original is second to none. no taupok, no frills. just sliced fish cakes with cockles and sometimes with beansprouts.....even thai friends love it....they say it taste like kanom jean kapi

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
none beats the one cooked by my mum-in-law. after tasted that, other laksas seem very inferior.

so far one came close. it's located in a 24 kopitiam along thomson rd. think it's about $4 a bowl with generous serving of see hums (cockerels). the gravy is very lemak and power-packed and the sambal chilli is very full-body with bits of hay-bee and tinge of belanjah.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't believe you people eating laksa even talking about 2 or 3 bowls. It's one of the most unhealthiest dish on earth. It's not that great tasting anyway. Just coconut milk oiled and spiced into curry. I avoid all forms of curry anyway. If I want to eat unhealthily for taste, I might as well eat solid meat dish like a steak.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
honestly, those laksas that ply along east coast are OVER-RATED! their gravy is more tumeric than laksa. not even authentic peranankan to begin with.

there is one hiding in GTH BUILDING along east coast road. wonder is it still there? if it is, do also try their solid popiah which is fat and loaded stuffy.