• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Ah Hias ; can help to contribute our oLd street names in Dialect here ?..

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
outram side tua por
further down to riverside is suey por
bridge road area considered por duey

please correct me if me is mistaken

Big Town had only two streets:
- 1st Street -- South Bridge Road
- 2nd Street -- Eu Tong Sen Street - Hill Street
Big Town ended at New Bridge where it led into Jalan Bukit Merah.

Small Town has seven streets:
- 1st Street -- North Bridge Road
- 2nd Street -- Victoria Street - Hill Street
- 3rd Street -- Queen Street
- 4th Street -- Waterloo Street
- 5th Street -- Bencoolen Street
- 6th Street -- Prinsep Street
- 7th Street -- Selegie Road
Small Town ended at Victoria Bridge led into Kallang Road.

The boundary between Big Town and Small Town was the Singapore River. Actually, the translation of Big or Small wasn't that accurate in English context, as you can see, Small Town was actually much bigger than Big Town in area. It should be Downtown (for Big Town) and Metropolis (for Small Town). The rest was surburbia.

Last edited:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget the area around Zion Road, Kim Seng Rd etc aka Tua Sei Kai and the area around Kitchener Rd/Serangoon Rd aka Sin Sei Kai.
I kinda also think the area around River Valley Rd/the former Delta Circus was commonly referred to Kam Chwee Long (F&N)

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: I Live Near There

You are correct. That is zhap luck lao. Opposite zhap luck lao is zhap lao (10 storey).

What about gor zhoh beh (jalan besar) and heh sia (beach road)?

Gor Zhoh is North Bridge Road Market
Heh Sia is the Kallang Gas Work in Kallang Road
Pei Sua Por ~ Bugis
Lor Pan Zhiang ~ Victoria Street?
Ama Keng ~ which camp? forgot?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tow fu gai
kong hup ying gai
mew gai
say yang gai
san jai tang
din chair wan

Kopi sua
Hylam sua
Jeok sua

Tua chew kar
bek san tank

seow keng...

Marican

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ya sua buay = Bukit Panjang

Yio tor hng = Pandan Gardens

Chang Mang hng = Paya Lebar

Char zhun tow = Clarke quay

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hehehe.

Great work here. This thread confirm FTs will never understand what is SG tradition. Suspect the gen x, y and z also will not know these street names.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gor Zhoh is North Bridge Road Market

Gor Zhoh is Rochor at Rochor Canal Road end of Waterloo Street and Bencoolen Street. Rochor Centre is still here today, but earmarked for redevelopment for the new MRT line, directly opposite Sim Lim Square. Gor Zhor Bei means Rochor End, that's at the end of North Road Bridge and Beach Road originally comprising 10 blocks only, 9 HDB residential blocks (now a.k.a. Little Thailand) and Block 10 being the HDB wet market and hawker centre. Later blocks built around the Block 10 market are what is know as Crawford area now. Cross over Victoria Street on the other side, that's what was known as Siong Lim Pang Long.

Last edited:

Marican

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dai Mun Lao (canto) = City Hall

Sai Pak Mun (canto) = keppel rd

Sing Kay San (canto) = Mount faber

Gao Coke Sup Sum Wan (canto) = South buena vista rd

Shua Kia Teng = Chulia st

Pao Beh Por = Race Course rd

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gor Zhoh is Rochor at Rochor Canal Road end of Waterloo Street and Bencoolen Street. Rochor Centre is still here today, but earmarked for redevelopment for the new MRT line, directly opposite Sim Lim Square. Gor Zhor Bei means Rochor End, that's at the end of North Road Bridge and Beach Road originally comprising 10 blocks only, 9 HDB residential blocks (now a.k.a. Little Thailand) and Block 10 being the HDB wet market and hawker centre. Later blocks built around the Block 10 market are what is know as Crawford area now. Cross over Victoria Street on the other side, that's what was known as Siong Lim Pang Long.

OK, last time my father was a hawker at the North Bridge Rd Market,
so every time he said Gor Zhoh I thought he was referring to this market.
There is a Police Station at beach road and also a Ti Pa Sa, Iron Market beside,
it was moved to North Bridge Road wet market until today.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OK, last time my father was a hawker at the North Bridge Rd Market,
so every time he said Gor Zhoh I thought he was referring to this market.
There is a Police Station at beach road and also a Ti Pa Sa, Iron Market beside,
it was moved to North Bridge Road wet market until today.

The Iron Market and Ironsmith Street were no more. I was born there. It was next to where now ECP ends and enters into Rochor Road.

Lor Panjang is further up in the middle of Victoria Street, i.e. Victoria wholesale market, now also earmarked for relocation to Kallang Bahru.