• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Ah Hias ; can help to contribute our oLd street names in Dialect here ?..

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: I Live Near There

i rem the KFC very well....went there after school had the chicken then puked the whole night.....hahaha

Yeah...a very nice place to chill out in de nite...buy a drink can sit whole nite...moi sometime hang ard there or go Holland Village roofless cinema watch movie...ar ga leow with those usher uncle...pay 50cts watch 3 diff show on sat...including mid nite...:biggrin::biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I always wondered where was the tua por and suey por....anyone can clarify?

outram side tua por
further down to riverside is suey por
bridge road area considered por duey

please correct me if me is mistaken

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Har Jiong Gai?

this one har?

4101936297_9b400ef734_o.jpg

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This one is lesser known and in Cantonese. It's call sei yan gai (dead man street). Should be one of the street in chinatown, either pagoda, smith or pagoda street. Anyone know?

Wiki says it's sago lane - street of the dead.

"Sago Lane (Chinese: 硕莪巷) is a one-way lane in Chinatown within the Outram Planning Area in Singapore. The street links Banda Street to Neil Road. In the past, the street was much longer and was home to funeral parlours or death houses in the past. "

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
both correct I think......old havelock is more the end with the temple which is technically or kio tao neighbourhood. Or kio tau I think more associated with the Beo Crescent end or havelock road

how about qit ko (7 mile - at Bukit timah Ngee Ann Poly) and zaap ko (10 Mile which is Bukit Panjang)

there used to be a eveready battery factory along that stretch, past the fire station. can't remember what its called.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have Never Seen 16 Ones There

Yes and Tanglin Halt zhup lao...zhup xi lao r where de old rov where we go take highway code n driving test...b4 Mac ish KFC...n b4 KFC think dey use 2 call it japanese garden iirc...few shops selling ele. appliances there...

Actually, this place is quite remote to me. I haven't been there for almost 8 years. I know where are the ten storeys flats but I had not counted more than ten so far. So, dono where lor.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Have Never Seen 16 Ones There

Actually, this place is quite remote to me. I haven't been there for almost 8 years. I know where are the ten storeys flats but I had not counted more than ten so far. So, dono where lor.

Actually Tanglin Halt 10 storey are those cluster of flats behind de old Tanglin Technical school. Whereas 16 storey are those behind New Town Secondary...dey r divided by de mrt track...10 storey section is much bigger...iirc frm blk 2x-7x...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sago Lane used to be where lonely old folks terminally ill and awaiting the their toll of the bell were sent there to live out their last days. They lived on the 2nd or 3rd storeys of rows of pre-war houses, on top of undertaker and funeral shops waiting to collect their bodies when they breathed their last. That's why it was called 死人街 in Cantonese. The premises and expenses were sponsored by the British colonial government along with donation from some rich Chinese merchants. A simple but dignified way to live out their last days, a simple but dignified way to go. Sago Lane is just behind the Buddha Tooth Temple. It's now quite a modern development.

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You are right. Shortly after I was born, my family moved to Block 32 Commonwealth Drive (10-storey side). When I was five, we moved to Block 90 (16-storey side). The two sides are divided by Commonwealth Avenue. Taxi drivers know the places as Tanglin Halt 10-storeys and 16-storeys respectively.

Actually Tanglin Halt 10 storey are those cluster of flats behind de old Tanglin Technical school. Whereas 16 storey are those behind New Town Secondary...dey r divided by de mrt track...10 storey section is much bigger...iirc frm blk 2x-7x...

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal

I see. Next time, I'll check that place out again.

commonwealth_crescent_00001.JPG

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You are right. Shortly after I was born, my family moved to Block 32 Commonwealth Drive (10-storey side). When I was five, we moved to Block 90 (16-storey side). The two sides are divided by Commonwealth Avenue. Taxi drivers know the places as Tanglin Halt 10-storeys and 16-storeys respectively.

Yah n b4 10 storey...think it was called ang chia or something like that...use 2 b quarters for police n special task force back then...

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Topo

I see. Next time, I'll check that place out again.

U shd...can chk out de fried bee hoon/noodles at the wet mkt...still so good after 40yrs...or the vegetarian noodles at coffee shop...(10 storey):biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited: