• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Ah Hias ; can help to contribute our oLd street names in Dialect here ?..

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This one is lesser known and in Cantonese. It's call sei yan gai (dead man street). Should be one of the street in chinatown, either pagoda, smith or pagoda street. Anyone know?

kysrn2000

Alfrescian
Loyal
This one is lesser known and in Cantonese. It's call sei yan gai (dead man street). Should be one of the street in chinatown, either pagoda, smith or pagoda street. Anyone know?

Sei yan gai is Sago Lane.
Kong cheok = chin swee rd
sar kark por = princep street

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tua pek Kong= Kim Keat road kau Lau= Jalan Tenteram, Ah Bak Kwai = Arab street, Hylam zhi kwai= Hylam street ?. Sa lau Chu= is now Whampoo?

Si yen kai (people die street) sagosa street? China town, tai mum lai ( big door lane?) = club st, ong keh swa ka ( king house mountain leg)= hill st

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a good thread but there should be a distinction between formal and colloquial names, e.g. between Smith Street and Hei Yun Gai (戏院街), and between the pinyinised pronunciation and the original, e.g. 竹脚 being pronounced as Zhujiao (easily mistaken for pig's leg) and Tekka.

Also, places like Bukit Ho Swee had as many Cantonese as they had other dialects and was referred to more frequently as Ho Sui San than Ho Jui Sua.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poh lay long (glass factory) - arounf henderson road
ABC (abc stout factory) - near bukit merah safra

Ever took taxi and used the above informal names and driver look at you?

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My wish is to compiLe a List of them; so that i can make them into a side-topic of discussion whenever i am at gatherings with foLks or friends or even kids ; reLiving part of our interesting history with them; and i thought knowing street names' in DiaLects is reaL cooL !
Older taxi drivers are the best bet to begin with; i have spoken to many over the years and some
answers on the origins of these names can be quite amazing..
i was brought up in Or Keo tau ; crossed over to Si Ka Teng ; upgraded to Ho Chwee Sua ; moved
to Siong Lim Pang Long with my then gf; where we do marketings at Ang Sa Li ..sounds intriguing right ?. . hope ah hias' here can contribute to this little project of mine in compiling them ~..
Kum siah kok wee ae chi chee !
:smile:
:biggrin:

hi there

1. bro, may i recommend our ah ram, the humsum bro here.
2. i bet on it.
3. he is in the betterer capacity to assist you in your search.

crackhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
or kio tao is old havelock that area lah!

both correct I think......old havelock is more the end with the temple which is technically or kio tao neighbourhood. Or kio tau I think more associated with the Beo Crescent end or havelock road

how about qit ko (7 mile - at Bukit timah Ngee Ann Poly) and zaap ko (10 Mile which is Bukit Panjang)

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bro, the street in question is sago lane.
2. yes, i know it too well.
3. my hk grandparents had some properties there.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: I Live Near There

I live near Queenstown area. If I'm not wrong, Zhup Luck Low or 16 storeys, opposite Ridout Tea Garden McDonald.

Yes and Tanglin Halt zhup lao...zhup xi lao r where de old rov where we go take highway code n driving test...b4 Mac ish KFC...n b4 KFC think dey use 2 call it japanese garden iirc...few shops selling ele. appliances there...