• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TKL: FTrash Should Pay Defence Tax? To Benefit PAPee?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Adopt Swiss model for NS exemption
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to the letter by Mr Xiao Fuchun, 'NS for adult new citizens not practical' (Aug 11).
I agree with him from another angle. If national service (NS) for new citizens is made mandatory, very few foreigners will want to take up citizenship, as it will disrupt their career and earning power. This is a burden that is now shouldered by male Singaporeans, who are given no choice in the matter.
After 44 years of independence and prosperity, it is time to review the role of NS. Perhaps we should have a professional army to defend our nation. Already, we spend a large amount on military hardware. The current budget could be reallocated to pay competitive salaries to career soldiers. In any case, modern defence does not require a large number of infantry soldiers.
If there is still a need for a citizen army, citizens doing full-time NS should be paid an adequate allowance, similar to what they would earn in the private sector. They should not be required to shoulder an unfair burden to defend the nation, when citizenships are offered to foreigners without a similar responsibility.
If this increases the defence budget, I suggest that the Government should consider adopting the Swiss model, which requires residents exempt from compulsory military service to pay a 3 per cent additional annual income tax, popularly known as the 'defence tax', until the age of 30.
Tan Kin Lian

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>"If national service (NS) for new citizens is made mandatory, very few foreigners will want to take up citizenship, as it will disrupt their career and earning power."

its very simple...if u dun want to defend Singapore, then don't come. U want to enjoy peace, security and prosperity at no cost??

paying additional tax to escape national service? Can u pay your invader money to stop them from invading your country and take away your love one?

Whats wrong with National Service? I enjoy it.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: sgpoorman at Sat Aug 22 09:46:29 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>3 % tax till age 30 and only for those exempted is too miniscule to have any notable effect on easing defence budget . . . GST already 7% . . . rather, 30 % additional 'defence tax' on annual income should be imposed all PRs and FTs with no age limit . . .
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: myotosan at Sat Aug 22 06:45:41 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I feel that the reservist period should also be reduced from the current 10 year cycle to 5 year cycle.

As one grows older, the less efficient one's body is. And furthermore reservist trainings, and IPT/RT trainings (big emphasis) can be very disruptive to work and also family life.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: fattyboi at Sat Aug 22 06:13:31 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="heading">Latest comments</td></tr><tr><td id="messageDisplayRegion" width="100%"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left"><table style="width: 100%;" class="Post" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">

As one grows older, the less efficient one's body is. And furthermore reservist trainings, and IPT/RT trainings (big emphasis) can be very disruptive to work and also family life.
</td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;" align="left">Posted by: fattyboi at Sat Aug 22 06:13:31 SGT 2009
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

What a load of bull. I'm even fitter now than I was when I was in my 20s. All that is needed to maintain fitness is regular exercise.

Sinkies seem to be good at one thing and one thing alone.. talking absolute COCK!:rolleyes:

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Should have 3 categories of the Defense forces :

1) Professional Force
born here Singaporean, careered, volunteer, full time, best pay, retired with bonuses,

2) Citizen Force
Born here Singaporean, National service with benefit, full time (1 year), pay as market rate, entitlement of tax incentive

3) National service Force
New Citizen (28 years below), PR's children, minimum 1.5 years, Allowance based, do not need to carry arms, best is Civil defence, firemen, understudy recruit in Police force (e.g. Petrol car driver), national duty as SMS Bus driver, MRT station security etc.

What thniks you ??