• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Punggol East By-Election Candidate Introduction[/h]Updated <abbr title="Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 6:43am" data-utime="1358203416" class="timestamp">about an hour ago</abbr>

The Workers' Party announced our candidate for Punggol East By-Election - Ms Lee Li Lian. Know more about her at http://bit.Iy/VaY45I

Photo credit: Koh Chee Koon, Bob Lee
321457_590700654279855_352615978_n.jpg

74299_590700630946524_15725138_n.jpg

408736_590701017613152_641672932_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Punggol East By-Election Candidate Introduction[/h]Updated <abbr title="Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 6:43am" data-utime="1358203416" class="timestamp">about an hour ago</abbr>

The Workers' Party announced our candidate for Punggol East By-Election - Ms Lee Li Lian. Know more about her at http://bit.Iy/VaY45I

396010_590701220946465_1811384789_n.jpg

66484_590701204279800_1235091738_n.jpg

431360_590701390946448_532969751_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

312392_590709317612322_560067055_n.jpg

74333_590709370945650_1898347596_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

Sylva-Lian family: a woman's place is in the House. 林瑞莲、李丽莲:邻里锐利双联。

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JiLKUACIUNQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"While it is debatable whether a change in Singapore’s voting position would make us more secure, Singapore’s decision to abstain was in marked contrast to all other ASEAN member states, and an overwhelming number of UN member states, which voted in favour of the resolution. It is noteworthy that many of these countries, like Singapore, have also established UNSC Resolution 242 to be the basis of a viable, long-term solution to the Israel-Palestine issue, and yet, without contradiction, voted in favour to elevate Palestine’s status at the UN to that of a non-member observer."

- MP for Aljunied GRC, Pritam Singh

Parliamentary Question on Palestine
singapore2025.wordpress.com

I was asked by the Straits Times if I had a response to Foreign Minister (FM) K. Shanmugam’s parliamentary reply as to whether a change in our voting position would make

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]
Whither Singapore? It is still early days. I think it will be good that Singaporeans think deeply and determine what type of political parties and politicians that they will accept in today’s political era. And the parties will need time to build themselves up to let Singaporeans judge and decide. Parties will each determine how it will draw in talent and build them up. I believe the days of a mono-coloured constituencies map of Singapore is over. We will have to deal with the realities of other parties sharing the field with the PAP. The different parties will need to figure out how they will play it out on Singapore’s political field.

Whither Singapore?
yeejj.wordpress.com

After the results for the Punggol East by-election was known, former Minister George Yeo made a 2-word post, “Whither Singapore” on his Facebook. Within hours, there were hundreds of

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

To the voters of Punggol East: Our gratitude and admiration. "Don't let anyone deaden your passion and courage. You ARE Singapore!" -- David Marshall, Founder, Workers' Party

555268_448385738560025_1398454263_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]23 Jan 2013 Punggol East By-Election Rally Speech by Daniel Goh[/h]

wp.jpg

Good evening residents and friends of Punggol East.

This is my first rally speech, so let me tell you a bit about myself. My name is Daniel Goh. I graduated from NUS in 1998 and completed my PhD in sociology in the United States in 2005. I have been teaching in NUS since and I am currently associate professor there. My students call me Dr Goh or simply Prof. My friends call me Daniel, so please call me Daniel.

I started volunteering with the Workers’ Party during GE2011. Since then, I have been helping Mr Chen Show Mao at his Meet-the-People Sessions. I joined the Workers’ Party as a member this year.

Many of my friends and family members asked why I joined the Workers’ Party. Some were afraid for me. They asked me, “Is it really safe for you to do this?”. But I told them life is too short and too precious, don’t waste time being kiasu, kiasi and kiagui.

Some wondered about my motives. They say, “You are a professor, you got a comfortable life, if you idealistic, go join the PAP, change the system from inside.” I told them change does not come from inside or from outside, but from the correct side. This is the co-driver side where we tell the driver he is heading down the wrong side of the road!

Some laughed at me because they know I am not the slapping type. They say, “Hah, you can slap meh, you are a bookworm.” I told them, even bookworms think of their children and would stand up for them.

This, my fellow citizens, is why I joined the Workers’ Party: I became a father in June last year.
When I volunteered with the Workers’ Party in 2011, I volunteered because I felt it was an extension of my national service. Volunteering with the Workers’ Party was the way I could serve Singapore and help my fellow Singaporeans.

When I became a father, something changed. It was no longer enough to volunteer. I needed to join the Workers’ Party to fight for a Singapore that I want my son and all children and young people to inherit. It is now a long-term commitment to a cause. The cause is not to oppose for opposing sake, or to bring down the government. The cause is to change mindset.

The PAP likes to tell Singaporeans that we need to change our mindset.
When it comes to PSLE, the government resisted calls for reform and is only just starting to do a review. Instead, they tell us we are the problem, that we need to change our so-called kiasu mindset.

Wrong!
Kiasu parents don’t make the PSLE exist. It is the PSLE that makes parents kiasu!
When it comes to BTO for HDB flats, the government tells Singaporeans not to be choosy and to stay in non-mature towns like Sengkang and Punggol. But it doesn’t realize that young families need the amenities of a mature town and many of us wish to stay close to our parents.

So, on one hand, the government tells us to have more babies and to take care of our parents. On the other hand we are not supposed to be choosy and to stay in a place that is difficult to raise a family and be filial? It has become very frustrating because people are being blamed for problems caused by policy.

Sengkang is a beautiful town. I live just across from you in Punggol town, just over there in the blue estate by the TPE, and I often walk across the overhead bridge to come to Rivervale Mall or take a bus to Compass Point. The problem is that towns like ours are kept from maturing faster. Lack of childcare centres, eldercare facilities, feeder bus services, coffee shops, properly run hawker centres, these are just some of the issues. These are not just local issues, they are policy issues affecting everyone in Singapore, whether you are in Sengkang, Punggol, Chua Chu Kang, or Bedok. Amenities are built only when the government believes enough people are in the town to service them.
Again, wrong!

Amenities should be serving the people, not the people serving amenities!
When it comes to marriage and having more babies, again we are told that we need to change our mindset, that we should marry earlier and have more children. But surveys after surveys conducted show that most Singaporeans want to marry and have more than 2 children. Our mindset concerning marriage and parenthood is fine. So please, the PAP should stop following us into our bedroom. Stop preaching to the converted!
Why do Singaporeans end up marrying later and have only 1.5 children on average?

What is stopping Singaporeans from marrying earlier and having more babies is the lack of financial security. Wages have not kept up with inflation and rising cost of living. HDB resale prices increased by 109% in the last 10 years. Let me ask you this, have your salaries increased by 100% in the last 10 years? Because prices of new BTO flats are affected by resale prices, many young couples have to wait longer before they feel secure enough to settle down.

Work-life balance is bad because the government’s approach is to sayang businesses to adopt work-life harmony practices. At the same time, the government is telling us to change our mindset about the right conditions to start a family. Can’t the PAP understand that it is because we Singaporeans are very responsible people, that’s why we work hard to achieve financial security for our family, and so we end up working too hard? So stop blaming us.

The Baby Bonus given by the PAP government is okay. It very recently got better, just a bit, but it can never keep up with runaway inflation and the rising cost of living. We can’t keep throwing money at problems. There is a need for structural reforms in housing, childcare and work-life harmony to tackle the problem. Decreasing costs and increasing time for Singaporeans to start their families are the keys to solving the problem.

What I am trying to say is this. It is not us Singaporeans who need to change our mindset, it is the PAP government that needs to change its mindset!

The government should start solving the structural causes of the problems we face.
I don’t want my son to grow up in a Singapore where he has to work 12 hours a day just to have enough to retire and have no time and no money to fall in love, marry and start a family. Do you want that for your children?

Let me finish by telling you how I see Li Lian this by-election.
Some of my friends challenged me, “Li Lian has not been seen in Punggol East since GE2011, can the residents trust her to serve them?”
This is what I said, Li Lian went to train under Kung Fu Pritam.

She is now much more powerful and has returned to fight for the people of the Valley of Punggol East.
Li Lian is a young woman who understands the problems of starting and raising a family.
She is one of us.

She has an amazing sense of dedication because she is willing to stand up to fight for us.
She is one of the young leaders in the Workers’ Party who inspired me to join the Party to work for the Singapore we want.
We are here to fight for the Singapore we all deserve!

Residents and friends of Punggol East, I am proud to be your neighbour.
And I am envious, because you had the chance to vote for the Workers’ Party in GE2011, and you have another chance now!

Please cast your vote wisely.

Don’t vote for status quo because it is not good enough for us.
Vote for our future, vote for your children’s future, vote for the Workers’ Party, vote for Lee Li Lian!

http://www.facebook.com/danpsgoh

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Punggol East By-Election - 23.01.2013 - Daniel Goh[/h]
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2H84Dyyhz-8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]The Workers' Party[/h]
"The WP is a multiracial party that celebrates a multiracial and multicultural Singapore. One of the party's aims, enshrined in its Constitution, is "racial equality in practice in all spheres of public activity and equal respect in law for all racial cultures"." - MP Pritam Singh

WP is a multiracial party
[url]www.straitstimes.com

I READ with surprise Mr Paul Antony Fernandez's letter yesterday ("Workers' Party lacks minority representation?"), which claimed he did not see any

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Low on opposition unity: WP walks its own path[/h]

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 9:38 PM Updated: Jan 23, 2013 2:57 PM

549985_595516630464924_1435761932_n.jpg

Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang has rebutted criticism that the party is arrogant just because it refused to negotiate with others over who got to contest in Punggol East.

Speaking on Tuesday, at the second WP rally, he said that the diversity in the "complex" opposition camp, with its different leaders and political beliefs, made it hard for unity to be achieved.

Citing how episodes of disunity in other parties in the 1990s had tainted the reputation and growth of the entire opposition, including the WP, he said the party has now decided to walk its own path.

"We are not an arrogant party that disrespects others. We're walking our own path so as to prevent history from repeating itself and disappointing Singaporeans further. We're doing this so that we can continue to make a contribution to Singapore's democracy," said Mr Low.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
420869_304295889631632_250649841_a.jpg

Aljunied-Hougang Town Council Media Release: Punggol East SMC – Preliminary update on handover of Town Council functions

by Aljunied GRC on Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 3:00pm ·

Arising from the outcome of the Punggol East SMC by-election on 26 Jan 2013, the Workers’ Party has commenced preparations to take over the town council functions from Pasir Ris – Punggol Town Council.

Preliminary discussions commenced on 29 Jan 2013 between the outgoing and incoming managements, and more status updates will be given in due course.

The incoming management will be applying for Punggol East SMC to be merged with the existing Aljunied-Hougang Town to form a new town consisting of Aljunied GRC, Hougang SMC and Punggol East SMC. This proposed merger will give rise to a mutually beneficial relationship between Aljunied-Hougang Town and Punggol East:

1. The proposed Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council will now be bigger in size, giving greater flexibility to achieve higher operational efficiencies through process re-engineering, centralization of functions and specialization of work. While Punggol East SMC will be able to leverage on the economies of scale of a bigger town council, likewise, the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council will potentially be able to enjoy further cost savings arising from this merger.
  2. Being part of the family, the Punggol East SMC will be able to benefit from the pooled experience and resources of both Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC in town council management. For example, the existing standing committees of AHTC which are helmed by the various Members of Parliament, will be able to advise on the calling and award of contracts, financial matters, estate maintenance and improvement, etc.

A key aspect of the handover is the need for the incoming management to have office premises within Punggol East SMC to operate from as soon as possible, to effect preparatory works. As the existing town council office at Blk 156A Rivervale Crescent is within the boundary of Punggol East SMC, having the incoming management take over the office would be the most obvious option. We will work with the Housing and Development Board on this issue urgently.

We thank the residents of Punggol East SMC for their support and look forward to serving them in the coming years.

LEE LI LIAN, MP-ELECT, PUNGGOL EAST SMC
SYLVIA LIM, CHAIRMAN, ALJUNIED-HOUGANG TOWN COUNCIL

31 January 2013

This statement was first published on the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council website:
http://www.ahtc.org.sg/ahtc/media-release-31-january-2013/

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: WP Doing Nothing?

[h=1]Workers' Party's Lee Li Lian sworn in as the new MP for Punggol East[/h]

Ms Lee Li Lian of the Workers' Party (WP) was sworn in as the new Member of Parliament for Punggol East on Monday afternoon. -- PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM TELEVISION

By Andrea Ong
Ms Lee Li Lian of the Workers' Party (WP) was sworn in as the new Member of Parliament for Punggol East on Monday afternoon.
It was the first order of business in what is expected to be a packed week of Parliamentary sittings. Ms Lee is expected to make her maiden speech in the debate on the Population White Paper.
Ms Lee, 34, took her oath of allegiance in English.
Before the sitting began, ministers and MPs were seen shaking hands with Ms Lee to congratulate her. Her fellow WP MPs were also seen snapping photos of her with their mobile phones.
Ms Lee will hold her first Meet-the-People session on Monday night.

http://www.straitstimes.com/microsi...i-lian-sworn-the-new-mp-punggol-east-20130204