• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: WP Doing Nothing?

[h=5]Pritam Singh[/h]
"Currently, about 60% of HDB’s public rental blocks have reached the EIP block limit of 25% for Malay households. We are in the midst of reviewing the EIP limits for rental flats, to take into account the demand from the various ethnic groups."

HDB’s Rental Housing Policy (Part 1): The Malay EIP limit
singapore2025.wordpress.com

Sometime in the middle of 2012, I conducted a review of all my Meet-the-People Session cases and sought to identify the issues that repeatedly came up, to understand why the

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After the Silver Housing Bonus was announced by the Finance Minister in his Budget speech in February, I had voiced concern in my response in Parliament on 29 February that the scheme would be unattractive to the elderly as too much of the net proceeds from the sale of their flats would end up being locked up in their CPF accounts.

Silver Housing Bonus and Lease Buyback Scheme | geraldgiam.sg
geraldgiam.sg

After the Silver Housing Bonus was announced by the Finance Minister in his Budget speech in February, I had voiced concern in my response in Parliament on 29 February that the scheme would be unattractive to the elderly as too much of the net proceeds from the sale of their flats would end up being...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

227051_534599253225172_15893094_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uploaded on Mar 8, 2008

MP Low Thia Kiang on Mean Testing & public transport during MOH and MOT debates.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/id6TlweW6Bw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uploaded on Mar 18, 2011

This speech was made in April 2007

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mufeBJSLhms?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Workers' Party

"Engaging is not about disseminating carefully crafted press releases to the public. It is being open with information, being open-minded enough to consider suggestions, and bold enough to push for difficult policy changes when it is necessary to do so."

New Attitudes for Better Government-Citizens Engagement
yeejj.wordpress.com

This piece was written for the NUS Students’ Political Association The Diplomat publication. I was a panelist at their Top Gun Forum held on 17 October 2012 which had discussed government-cit...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chen Show Mao

Happy new year to all! I wish we will continue to take a few more steps forward in the new year.
I enjoy the first day of the year, how it is always full of hope, filled with the promise of what we can be. We transform, we expand, like the fabulous bird and fish in the opening lines of the Chuang-tzu.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Workers' Party

"Shortly after the 2011 General Elections, Minister for National Development Mr Khaw Boon Wan announced at a youth forum at the Woodlands Community Club, “we need to ramp up the building of rental flats as quickly as we can, (and) not just by a few thousand. We need to build by the tens of thousands, and the earlier the better.”

The arrival of a new Minister at the helm suggested that HDB’s rental housing policy was in line for a significant revamp with tens of thousands of rental units anticipated. But in a recent parliamentary reply in November 2012, Khaw has confirmed that the plan is to increase this number to 57,000 by 2015, an increase of 7000, not the “tens of thousands” posited earlier in 2011." - Mr Pritam Singh

HDB’s Rental Housing Policy (Part 1): The Malay EIP limit

Sometime in the middle of 2012, I conducted a review of all my Meet-the-People Session cases and sought to identify the issues that repeatedly c

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"A central pillar of an envisaged one-stop agency would also have to include elements of the Workforce Development Agency (WDA) to look into and monitor the job prospects and employability of rental flat tenants with a long-term view to get them to purchase their own flats, be they studio or larger BTO flats. A critical role of this agency would be to make a deliberate and sustained attempt at breaking the poverty cycle for all tenants – and younger tenants in particular." - Pritam Singh

HDB’s Rental Housing Policy (Part 2): Reviewing the System

The profile of rental flat applicants Rental flat appellants comprise of Singaporeans with widely varying circumstances. Some are victims of structural unemployment,

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties." Helen Keller.

It is hard to write about 2012. In this supposedly auspicious Chinese year of the dragon, we seemed to have a fiery dragon. The news has constantly been filled with unpleasant things, from the start to the end of the year.

Perhaps 2013 may not get rosier. So my new year’s wish for all is this quote I found by Helen Keller. Blind and deaf since she was 19 months, Helen Keller overcame great difficulties to become the first deafblind to graduate with a Bachelor degree. She became a world famous speaker and authored 12 books and many articles.

There will constantly be challenges in life. Helen Keller is imminently qualified to speak about challenges, having to live her life in blindness and total silence. Yet she overcame these to become a powerful influence to others around her.

We recently earned the unenviable title of being the most emotionless and unhappy country in the world. May you find strength to be happy and joyful in 2013. The key to success and happiness is in your hands.
Happy new year!

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think WP is doing something, but we are not sure what is it yet..I think thats the WP problem..they need a good PR guy to 'sell' themselves.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Workers' party

"In spite of the challenges encountered by the new Workers’ Party-run AHTC during the handover from the PAP, we are grateful to all who have helped us and for the efforts put in by our staff and contractors to ensure a smooth taking over of Town Council administration, including to upscale and develop a computing and financial system for AHTC under very challenging circumstances. This ensured that the interests of Aljunied and Hougang residents were protected, including in such important areas as cleanliness, maintenance and lift breakdown rates. AHTC will continue to strive for higher standards in our service to residents." - AHTC Chairman Sylvia Lim

http://www.ahtc.org.sg/ahtc/media-release-5-january-2013/

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QfxkFMKVAz8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A spiritual shift is occurring. Many people around the world have found themselves on the verge of something vast, and their experiences can't be explained. ...
http://thefederationoflight.ning.com...sg_share_video

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WP hopes to raise S$1.5m to purchase headquarters
By Sharon See | Posted: 06 January 2013 1758 hrs

SINGAPORE: The opposition Workers' Party (WP) is hoping to raise S$1.5 million for the purchase of its own headquarters.

The party's secretary-general Low Thia Khiang and chairman Sylvia Lim said this at the party's first musical concert, titled "Bricks in Blue".

The concert was put up by Members of Parliament (MPs) and volunteers to thank supporters.

Ms Lim said: "I felt that we have some talent in the party. Second, I think it's also nice for people to see us in less serious light, and I think people generally enjoy being entertained, so the concert was put up with that in mind, that we will stretch ourselves and keep our residents entertained."

The concert featured a variety of performances, including songs in Mandarin, English and Malay by its MPs and volunteers, a magic show by NCMP Yee Jenn Jong and a poetry recital by Aljunied MP Chen Show Mao.

Ms Lim herself went through several costume changes and belted out defunct British pop group Eurythmics' classic hit "Sweet Dreams" and Taiwanese rock band Mayday's "Chun Zhen".

Tickets to its two shows at Jubilee Hall, which seats more than 300, were sold out.

At the show, Ms Lim said since the 2011 general election, the party has raised some S$500,000.

The money came from monthly contributions from its elected MPs, as well as private donations from friends and acquaintances.

Speaking to reporters during the musical intermission, Mr Low said the party's elected MPs have each been contributing S$1,000 per month from their MP allowance towards the fund.

The rest of the money, Ms Lim said, will be raised through public donations.

Ms Lim said the S$1.5 million will be used for the down payment of the property, while the balance of the purchase price will be financed through a loan.

Mr Low said the party has yet to find a suitable property. He said proceeds from the concert will go towards the party's building fund.

The party is currently renting an office along Syed Alwi Road.

Ms Lim said they are hoping to secure a two-storey shophouse unit.

She added that having its own asset means the party may also sublet a portion of the property to "make ourselves more self-sufficient".

- CNA/xq

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pDph1mNodZs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

Programme from Last Night.

PANTUN MELAYU

A good thing about being Singaporean is we have more occasion than most people to ask "Who ARE we?"
A big part of who we are is our national language -- Bahasa Melayu. It roots us to our geography and our history.

For Chinese speaking Singaporeans to learn anything about our national language, more and more we rely on English to intermediate. But this was not always the case.
For large parts of our history, Chinese had its own direct connections to Malay. The Qing dynasty traveler Li Zhongjue observed in the late 1800s that the Chinese people in Singapore all spoke the Malay language.

Tonight I will read from an anthology of Pantun Melayu compiled for Chinese readers by Mr Lim Huan Boon. It was first published in 1958, while Mr Lim was a student at Nanyang University and before Bahasa Melayu was officially adopted as our national language. This is where I say to you in English: "Thanks for coming". I will go on to read the pantun in Malay and Chinese. These two languages first met each other long ago here; got to know each other over time here; and, if we have anything to do with it, will live together happily ever after here, in our midst.

今天我要朗读的马来四行诗出自林焕文先生编译的《马来班顿三百首》。林先生在〈马来四行诗简介〉里写着:
诗的旋律,就是生活的旋律;诗的音节,就是生活的节拍。 马来四行诗 [--班顿,] 就是古时候马来民族简朴生活的旋律和节拍,是古代马来甘榜乡村生活的全面反映。... 马来民间口头文学的真正代表。
它的结构简单完整而押韵又优美谐调 ... 容易上口 ... 一代又一代地流传至今。但是, 这些班顿的作者--人民文学家的名字却无法加以考稽。

这就像收集在《诗经》里的中国古老诗歌一样。
其实,无论是题材还是体裁,班顿对中文读者来说,都不会陌生。

举个例子,《诗经》里大家最熟悉的几行:
关关雎鸠,在河之洲。窈窕淑女,君子好逑。
用我们的话来说,是:
“关关叫的水鸟,在河中的一块陆地上。善良美丽的姑娘,是好男儿的好配偶。“

這在马来班頓里有所共鳴。
(Some familiar lines from the Chinese Book of Odes recall this pantun.)

Dari mana punai melayang?
dari paya turun ke padi
Dari mana kasih sayang
dari mata turun ke hati.

Dari mana punai melayang?
鸽子打从哪儿来? (先提到禽鸟:诗经的雎鸠对班顿的鸽子)
dari paya turun ke padi
从沼泽飞到稻田里。(再提到土地及河流:诗经的在河之洲对班顿的沼泽地及稻田。靠水的土地,经常是我们的祖先所选择的居住地。)
(打个岔-- 阿裕尼集选区里头也有块宽大的沼泽地,这是巴耶利峇区马来名的原意。)
Dari mana kasih sayang?
爱情打从哪儿来?
dari mata turun ke hati.
从眼睛直到心窝里。(最后谈到爱情,谈到婚嫁)

这也是班顿典型的结构:四行诗的前两行为引子,通常描述情景;后两行则表达一定的想法、情感。

Orang Bandung memintal kapas,
anak Cina berkancing tulang.
Ayah kandung pulanglah lekas,
anakanda rindu bukan kepalang.

万隆人们纺棉纱,
中国小孩扣骨纽。
爸爸请您快回来,
孩子思念情难耐。

Pukul gendang tiup serunai,
anak India mandi minyak,
saya umpama rumput di bumi,
rendah sekali pada yang banyak.

打起鼓来吹喇叭,
印度小孩身涂油。
我似小草地上长,
众人面前显的低。

一个常见到华族小孩及印度小孩的多元种族的生活环境,反映在马来诗歌里。
不单单是本地的生活环境,本地人的心境也反映在诗歌里。
(Multi-racial surroundings in which Chinese and Indian children were often seen were painted in Malay verse. And it was not just the local scene, but also local sentiments, that were captured.)

Dari Jepun ke bandar Cina,
singgah berlabuh di Singapura.
Bunga yang kembang siapa punya,
kami beringin memetiknya.

来自日本去中国,
船只占泊石叻埠。
盛开花儿属谁家?
一心想把花采折。

本地人对川流不息的外地访客,那出自我们本能的警戒,對”採花“客的防心,不言而喻。
可是,相对地,本地人對我们的客人”身在异乡为异客“那种心境的理解,也反映在班顿里。
(Towards the stream of visitors to our shores, we were naturally guarded, even as we understood how our guests could be feeling, as strangers in a strange land.)

Pada si camar menyampai pesan,
lagu rindu lukisan jiwa.
Sungguhpun elok negara orang,
negara sendiri tak dapat lupa.

海燕带则口信来,
恋歌描绘着心灵。
别人国家虽然好,
自己家园永不忘。

這种爱家园的情懷--無論是用華文或是巫文來表達,都是我们熟悉理解的。
这两个亚洲语文及它们所承载的文化,它们相互的对话及它们之间的沟通、交流,应该是直接而顺畅的。
(The pantun sings of the love for one's home, which we understand well, be it expressed in Malay or Chinese. The connection between these two Asian languages and the cultures they convey can be direct and strong. )

最后,我挑了两首班顿,与大家分享它们所体现的广大人民的智慧!
(Finally, a toast to the pantun and the folk wisdom they embody.)

Jika dilurut padi masak,
jatuh ke tanah berderai-derai.
Kalau takut dilambung ombak,
jangan berumah di tepi pantai.

如把熟谷捋下来,
必定散落在地上。
如果害怕海浪高,
不可居住靠滨海。

Baik-baik berlayar malam,
harus deras, karangnya tajam.
Kalau tidak malim yang pandai,
di situ banyak kapal tenggelam.

夜里行舟要细心,
水流湍急礁石尖。
倘若船家没本事,
多少沉船在那边。

与大家共勉之!
谢谢大家。Terima Kasih.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Workers' Party performs We Will Rock You at Bricks in Blue concert

Workers' Party MPs got to show off a lighter side of themselves at their first-ever variety show, Bricks in Blue, held at the Jubilee Hall on Sunday night.
The party's eight parliamentarians sang, strummed and danced in the variety show, which also featured a special guest - former national footballer Quah Kim Song, who sang and danced with party chairman Sylvia Lim.

http://stcommunities.straitstimes.com/music/2013/01/07/workers-party-performs-we-will-rock-you

Last edited: