• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal
GE15

Swissbank support Workers' Party in all Constituencies to be contested.
Although WP had been silent inside parliament, swissbank want to see more opposition parties been elected.
Swissbank hope WP be more vocal to contfront PAP when more opposition members are voted in parliament.
NSP, please no 3-corners fight, WP is now the branded opposition party.
Swissbank predicted WP can win Marine Parade GRC by a nose if is a straight fight and Wooden will be shame to retire as a loser.
Is this what the opposition supporters want to see ????
WP, please deploy three A-stars players to fight in Marine Parade GRC.
Swissbank will give WP full support in GE15 !
Cheers !!!!

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wooden will be very worry if is a straight fight between WP vs PAP.
Then Wooden will be laughing to the bank if there are 3-corners fight, WP vs PAP vs NSP.
If a straight fight at Marine Parade GRC between NSP vs PAP, Pinky will sit under a coconut tree.
NSP secured 43% during GE2011 because of Nicole Seah not NSP brand.
A current NSP team vs PAP is like Geyland Team playing against Chelsea Team.
Sebastian Teo of NSP, you been more respected if NSP give way at Marine Parade GRC.
This GE15, honesty speaking NSP are sending quantities players not quality.
Do opposition supporters want to see Wooden retire as a loser like GY ????
WP stand good chance if straight fight WP vs PAP. WP will win Marine Parade by a nose ! Cheers WP!!
Marine Parade GRC residents, dun worry Wooden can contest in next PE.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Daniel PS Goh

I know Ru since just after GE2011, when she appeared at Show Mao's MPS to volunteer. We sat next to each other writing letters of appeal for residents. We soon became good friends and we worked together on many projects to support the WP parliamentarians and in the past year in the Youth Wing Exco organising various activities to get young people excited about democratic politics. I can always count on her. She is committed, meticulous, thoughtful, caring and genuine. Because...
See More

People of WP – He Ting Ru
People, Uncategorized People of WP – He Ting Ru Pam Chae August 5, 2015 No Comments You worked and lived overseas for several years. Why did you come back? Having lived and worked in different countries for many years, I decided it was time to come home. Singapore is where my family is. This is wher…
wpyouth.sg

[h=2]He Ting Ru[/h]Public Figure

An energetic start to the ‪#‎sg50‬ festivities!

While out and about in Geylang Serai today, one of the shop owners approached us with great excitement:

"Workers' Party! My favourite! May I take a picture with you?"

She rushed to her drawer to retrieve her phone in a flurry, and I was extremely touched by the heartfelt good wishes that she extended to us.
Thank you, for your support on this National Day jubilee weekend - together, we will continue to work towards a better Singapore for our future generations.

11221784_713866082051897_2777073129680603191_n.jpg

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal
Swissbank support Workers' Party in GE15
Vote for WP in Aljunied GRC, Hougang SMC, Punggol East SMC, Marine Parade GRC, East Coast GRC and etc.

Are we electing estate managers or MPs?

Protected August 8th, 2015 | Author: Contributions

It’s quite clear from the early introductions of new faces and noises coming from the PAP top brass, that they are planning a different tactic for these elections. Rather than focus on national issues, they want to make this a ‘local elections’ – where the issues will be about each ward and what they will promise to do once elected. And of course expect the issue of the Worker’s Party’s (WP) handling of their Town Council (TC) to be repeated over and over again in the main stream media MSM).

The 'Son of Punggol' will soon become the 'Son of AMK.' The PAP strategy this time is to get new candidates like Dr Koh to be on the ground months before rather than the previous practise of presenting them just before elections. They want to turn this into a local election.

Be also prepared for several reports about ‘how good’ a job these PAP MPs have done in their estates. In fact in the monthly bulletins we receive from TC, you’ll see reports and photos of playgrounds and fitness equipment being upgraded, as well as other ‘cosmetic work’ done And with elections, we will get promises of more amenities for each estate which the PAP candidate will proudly declare as his/her goals once elected. All these are well and good but take a step back and consider it for a moment.

Are we having elections to vote in estate managers? If the duty of your MP is to run your estate, is their a need for MPs in the first place? Why do we have a Ministry of Environment, National Development and stat boards like Parks and Trees and URA? Why were Town Councils introduced? Do you elect a Govt to ‘push the buck?’ TCs were not introduced for wholesome wonderful idea to make life in your estates better. That would be the secondary effect - TCs were basically introduced to give the PAP another layer of protection just like the GRCs scheme (where it’s supposed to be about electing minorities). GRCs – let’s not beat about the bush – is primarily to give unknown or weak PAP candidates a back door entry in to Parliament. Former PM Goh Chok Tong admitted to this. (I got this from the Wikipedia page on GRCs)

In the same sense TCs were introduced to place the burden of management on the opposition if they ever got elected, because at the end of the day – the Govt still holds the funding and controls the relevant ministries. Knowing that with the ‘ace hand,’ they can make life extremely tough and then use whatever short-comings as a weapon to scare voters into believing another doomsday scenario is beckoning. This is exactly what’s happening in Aljuneid GRC. The bottom-line is this: Are the Worker’s Party guilty of any criminal wrongdoing in managing the TC? Is there any bribery or cheating involved?

Are any of the WP MPs (a) guilty or accused of any crime in the AHPETC saga? Of course not, but that seems to be the image that some PAP fans boys on social media are trying to imply. And sadly even the MSM is in on this game - trying to make a meal of out it with faint hints of impropriety. Yet when the AIM saga broke, they took great pains to echo the PAP 's line of it being a matter of practicality.
The answer is an indisputable No. Because if there were, you can bet your bottom dollar, that police reports would have been lodged and either the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) or CPIB would be called in. There is a concerted effort by PAP fanboys and apologists on social media to paint the whole affair as something sinister. Some have even suggested that WP members and their MPs are lining their own pockets despite no evidence to proof that. There might of course be some procedural breach under the TC Act. But as the WP have suggested – this is exactly what the MND has tried to do from Day 1. To place obstacles and then use the TC Act to ‘whack them.’
Is Aljunied in a state of disrepair? No. In fact we can draw lots of similarities to what they are supposedly to have done wrongly with the AIM affair. Even perhaps the ‘Lehman Brothers investments’ undertaken by some PAP TCs that blew up in their faces.

You see whenever the PAP points fingers, there’s always a case to point it back at them. The voters in Aljunied GRC must be strong and stay the course – what’s happening is not new to an opposition ward – just go ask the residents of Potong Pasir and Hougang. They also faced similar accounts of the their TC funds running low or being insufficient because of the way MND dealt with them. Upgrading in their estates were put on the back burner – there was a concerted effort to make their wards ‘poor cousins’ to the PAP ones. And then come elections – the PAP candidate will come dangling the carrots. But the good people of Potong Pasir and Hougang stood strong and stayed the course, eventually the Govt had to provide the amenities and release whatever funds were due, because they were legally compelled to. The Govt couldn’t rule PP and Hougang as separate ‘states.’ So voters in Aljunied must be strong and reject the politics of destruction or obstruction and make that message loud and clear.

Which brings me back to the start – who exactly are we electing? We are electing MPs – it’s all well and good what his TC does, but you don’t need MPs for that, you need MPs to be your voice in Parliament. And to be more specific you need opposition MPs to act as a check against the Govt, to raise issues, to oppose and to cast their votes when Bills are presented. (I will pen another article examining what an opposition MP’s duties are and how the WP fared in this context). Because here in Singapore, the PAP Govt operates with a policy that once you elect them and give them an overwhelming mandate – they will simply go ahead and do whatever they think fit, with little or no recourse for the public to raise objection. Take immigration and foreign employment – there’s nothing that can be done to stop these policies because the PAP took their mandate as a free hand to do whatever and whenever.

The election Lee Li Lian in Punggol East, 2 years after the 2011 GE, sent a message that the 'wave of discontent' in 2011, was no 'flash in the pan.' Pardon the mixed metaphors - but this is the only way that the PAP gets the message, because there's no other recourse for the public to express dissatisfaction or anger at policies. A further message must be sent in 2015 - the last avenue in this decade.
Unlike the US or some other countries, there’s no questions on the ballot paper to approve certain policies and no referendums to seek approval from. The only way to show your disproval is to cast your ballot against them and vote in opposition. Only then will they pause and reconsider. The loss of Aljunied GRC was a wake-up call as were the closer than expected results in other wards. The loss of Punggol East also sent a message. But in the end 7 MPs are nothing against a super majority where they have a whopping 80 seats.
So in closing, don’t be fooled by the PAP strategy to make this into ‘local election.’ At the end of the day isn’t the whole idea of running and maintaining each estate the duty of the elected Govt? Why do we even need Mayors? The TCs are just a smokescreen to get voters to focus on the smaller issues and forget the wider national issues. The issue of Town Councils was a topic in the 1991 and 1997 GEs. Those were elections fought on local issues. In 2015, your estate, your TC and whatever local issues are very small matters. This election is about wider national issues that will not just affect you, but your children and even their children in years to come. It’s about immigration and population increase, it’s about job protection, it’s about rising housing costs, it’s about rising medical and transport costs, it’s about your CPF, it’s about income inequality and the proper distribution of national wealth and perhaps a review of unjust or outdated laws. Don’t let the 9 days of campaigning become a sideshow of how well or good your estate is or should be, or allow the never ending reports in the MSM to deflect the wider national issues. Because if you fall for this trick or side-show, you’ll have 5 more years to regret not doing anything to stop or change national policies that you never agreed to in the first place. This is your last chance in this decade – vote wisely.

Sir Nelspruit

* The author blogs at Anyhow Hantam.

Attachments

• aljunied-town-council.jpg
    aljunied-town-council.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 794

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

I was reminded yesterday again of how I had started my GE2011 campaign with just one Party member assigned to be my Election Agent. I was then relatively new to the Party and did not know who else in the Party to recruit to help in campaigning. Campaigning for Joo Chiat SMC seemed like an impossible mission. I had committed to the leadership that I would cover every house that was publicly accessible and will write to all the major condominiums for permission to visit. The campaigning time was short and I was desperately short on manpower.

Family members and friends joined in along the way. Volunteers signed up. Some residents of the SMC were so enthusiastic that they immediately became volunteers after we had met them. An amazing story is that it turned out that two of the residents whom we had met and recruited separately turned out to be great-great grandchildren of Mr Chew Joo Chiat, which Joo Chiat is named after. They continue to help with the Party till today.

The sincerity and dedication of the volunteers had spurred me to make the GE2011 impossible mission into a possible mission. Now, two weeks after the EBRC report was published, with an ever larger mountain to climb, I am once more encouraged by the enthusiasm of supporters who are again coming alongside to help in the mission. Thank you!

A tribute to our volunteers
One of the most amazing things I have experienced since entering politics in 2011 is the wonderful commitment of volunteers. I am reminded of that again yesterday with Livia and her daughter Qiqi. ...
yeejj.wordpress.com>>>>>>

A tribute to our volunteers

Livia and Qiqi getting ready to cycle home after house visits

One of the most amazing things I have experienced since entering politics in 2011 is the wonderful commitment of volunteers. I am reminded of that again yesterday with Livia and her daughter Qiqi.

Livia first signed up to help WP in 2011 through our website. She was assigned to help in the Joo Chiat SMC campaign. I remember her asking for permission to allow her daughter Qiqi, then in primary 2 to tag along because there was no one to look after her. I agreed and Livia joined us on several visits with Qiqi, a very obedient girl who could follow us on our tiring visits without any fuss.

Since GE2011, Livia went on to help in WP’s grassroots activities, first in Kaki Bukit and now in Punggol East, with her daughter following along on many occasions. Qiqi has become a darling amongst our grassroots volunteers.

Today, Livia and Qiqi turned up in bicycles at the start of our evening house visits. They had cycled from a relative’s shop in Hougang and after a tiring evening of visits, they had to cycle for about an hour to their home in Pasir Ris. I was concerned if it would be too strenuous on them, but Livia said they are used to such long cycling. Qiqi is in primary 6 this year, with her PSLE starting next month. Livia assured me that Qiqi is doing ok in school.

Livia’s dad had brought her to WP rallies when she was young and she felt her daughter should also have a similar exposure. Livia is a busy professional who has to also look after her daughter.

I am constantly humbled by the commitment of those who volunteer their time to help in our political work. Grassroots and campaigning activities are time consuming and require dedication. We are not able to provide big titles like BBM and PBM to them, nor offer privileges for primary school registration or free parking within the wards they are serving in. Yet many continued to help silently, committed to the cause of helping residents.

I was reminded yesterday again of how I had started my GE2011 campaign with just one Party member assigned to be my Election Agent. I was then relatively new to the Party and did not know who else in the Party to recruit to help in campaigning. Campaigning for Joo Chiat SMC seemed like an impossible mission. I had committed to the leadership that I would cover every house that was publicly accessible and will write to all the major condominiums for permission to visit. The campaigning time was short and I was desperately short on manpower.

Family members and friends joined in along the way. Volunteers signed up. Some residents of the SMC were so enthusiastic that they immediately became volunteers after we had met them. An amazing story is that it turned out that two of the residents whom we had met and recruited separately turned out to be great-great grandchildren of Mr Chew Joo Chiat, which Joo Chiat is named after. They continue to help with the Party till today.

The sincerity and dedication of the volunteers had spurred me to make the GE2011 impossible mission into a possible mission. Now, two weeks after the EBRC report was published, with an ever larger mountain to climb, I am once more encouraged by the enthusiasm of supporters who are again coming alongside to help in the mission.

Thank you!

* story and photo shared with Livia’s permission

By yeejj • Posted in Politics

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Flashback to GE2011, when my dad, then 78, went with me to neighbours he knew, house by house to tell them to vote for me. He has now lived in the neighbourhood for some 55 years and still takes regular walks in the neighbourhood at age 82. I have since visited the neighbourhood again post GE2011 and am looking forward to more visits soon.

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

My 78-yr old father walked with me, in the blazing morning sun, to introduce me to his friends around Opera Estate and to win over their votes. Thanks Pa!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]He Ting Ru[/h]
Happy 50th, Singapore!

What a remarkable journey it has been, and we are grateful for what you have given us. Let us also not forget the many men and women who have built this nation over the years, and to give each and every one of them a big THANK YOU.

Here's to many more good years to come.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Cheryl Denise Loh[/h]Public Figure

A good morning, Singapore! (Hearty breakfast to start off the Jubilee Monday)

11817290_845240038916231_2307654876737986986_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)[/h]Political Party
"She [my wife] encouraged me to join her and I started volunteering with the grassroots about 2 years back. It is very meaningful and fulfilling to be able to help residents. At the same time, we can be better examples to our children and help them to become more responsible and compassionate towards society." - Adrian Sim

People of WP – Adrian Sim

People People of WP – Adrian Sim Pam Chae August 8, 2015 No Comments How do you help out in WP? My wife started volunteering with WP in late 2011. She encouraged me to join her and I started volunteering with the grassroots about 2...
wpyouth.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)

[h=5]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)
[/h]47 mins · Edited ·

"It’s important that the party continues to ensure that there will be better political competition and more diversity in our Parliament." - Dennis Tan

People of WP – Dennis Tan

People People of WP – Dennis Tan Pam Chae August 11, 2015 No Comments Why did you join the WP? I joined the party because I can identify with the political leadership of the party, it’s a party I supported since I was a child. I wanted to be a member instead of a volunteer, because in order to persu…
wpyouth.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

A Wefie with the good doctor Ben Tan at the recent NDP while waiting to enter the Padang. I had followed Dr Tan's progress as a sailor and was elated when he won gold at the Asian games in 1994, paving the way for many years of success by our sailors, even till today. He has made good speeches and asked useful questions since entering Parliament as a NMP a year ago. We share a number of common interest in education and has sometimes exchanged notes to make a common push for areas we wish to see improvements being made in.

11051833_918894438178331_5934932749732551771_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

I first met Dennis on 27 April 2011 at the nomination centre at Tao Nan School. He had taken the day off from his busy legal work schedule to cheer WP, even though we did not know each other then.

When I got down to meet supporters after nomination was accepted, I was introduced to Dennis by a mutual friend who was then helping with my campaign as a volunteer. Upon finding that he was a Joo Chiat resident, I invited him to help us with the campaign. He readily agreed. He and his wife, Hui Tsing started walking with us, I think on the very same day or the next.

After GE2011, Dennis and Hui Tsing volunteered to help at the Meet-the-People (MPS) sessions and later at grassroots events. I was glad when he and Hui Tsing decided to become WP members and have since been involved in every aspect of the Party's work, from MPS to grassroots, community programmes, policy research work and ground campaigns.

We share the same philosophy on why we chose to join WP. For far too long, I had watched politics from the sidelines, occasionally writing forum letters to push for change and improvements in policies and contributing my time in policy workgroups of the government which I had been invited to be part of. I became convinced that for real change to take place, there has to be serious challenge on the political front through a Party which I share in their beliefs. I may be a small force by myself, but I had hoped that by throwing myself into the ring, it can help in whatever ways to encourage others capable of seriously challenging the ruling party to come in. I am so glad that Dennis has come such a long way in the Party from cheering my nomination in 2011.

People of WP – Dennis Tan
People People of WP – Dennis Tan Pam Chae August 11, 2015 No Comments Why did you join the WP? I joined the party because I can identify with the political leadership of the party, it’s a party I supported since I was a child. I wanted to be a member instead of a volunteer, because in order to persu…
wpyouth.sg