• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The standard of service from the civil/government services

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Letter of the week: Handle feedback on fire hazards promptly​

sv-fire-190822.jpg

Burned rubble seen at the site of the fire at Block 236 Jurong East Street 21 that killed one person. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

Aug 12, 2022

I was saddened to read that a resident had died in a home fire (1 killed in early morning fire in Jurong East flat, Aug 16).
It was reported that a neighbour who had to be rescued from the fire said the residents of the flat that caught fire had a habit of keeping things, such as household appliances and bags, in the common corridor.
He said he had raised the issue many times since 2012 with Jurong Town Council and the Housing Board, but it was never resolved.
Hoarding is a stubborn issue among some neighbours, and is also difficult to resolve. Sending residents warning letters does not lessen the fire risk in a neighbourhood.
I have two friends who have a neighbour with a hoarding habit. Any responsible home owner would be equally concerned for the safety of his family and home.
As a business owner of a residential facility, I am very familiar with the diligent, stern and prompt actions taken by the Singapore Civil Defence Force towards fire hazards and blockages.
The financial penalty on commercial properties which break the law is severe. This is necessary for the safety of the people present in the building.

For the safety of every home and dwelling place in Singapore, I ask that the authorities handle residential fire hazard feedback with equal urgency and action, before another fire or death occurs.

Andrew Soo

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long queues due to fewer manned bank branches​

Aug 23, 2022

Many DBS Bank/POSB branches with manned counter services have either closed or been replaced with ATM-only booths.
Some seniors now have to travel long distances to a branch with manned counters to get help with their banking needs.
I have experienced or heard from others about long, snaking queues at bank branches, with people spilling into corridors and pavements, SMS queue numbers running out for the day before 2pm, and waiting times of up to 31/2 hours, mostly spent standing outside the branch as space is limited inside the premises.
At other banks, there are rarely queues extending outside the branch, and service is quick and efficient.
I wonder how many DBS/POSB branches have staff that serve customers compared with a few years ago, what the average waiting time at those branches is, and whether the bank collects feedback from its customers on their banking experience.

Gan Boey Keow

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even many fucking police stations are replaced by interactive kiosks now. These are aim to discourage people from making police reports, especially those elderly who aren't even into technology and can't read. Less crime reported means low crime rate, and pappy dog can take credit for a safe and secure society....

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Some seniors still have trouble getting polyclinic appointments with mobile apps​

Aug 31, 2022

I refer to the letter, "Mobile apps may present challenges to seniors" (Aug 25).
I am a senior and last week I wanted to see a doctor for pain in my feet. To book an appointment at Queenstown Polyclinic, I called the appointment hotline several times for two days.
Each time, an automated message told me the operators were busy, and I should try the OneNUHS app or wait on the line.
On the third day, I finally managed to get an appointment. Those were three very painful days.
While at the polyclinic, I had to wait for 45 minutes at the reception to get a referral for a podiatrist. In that time, I observed the following:
  • A man in his late 70s complained that he could not get a same-day appointment since the day before. He did not own a smartphone and was not familiar with how to use one, and said he could not keep borrowing one from others. The reception staff tried to show him how to use a smartphone, but he could not understand, and they booked an appointment for him.
  • Another man in his 60s walked in with his hands trembling badly. He too said he could not use the app. Seeing his condition, the staff booked an appointment for him that was in two hours' time.
  • A young woman walked in pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She told the staff the app was not working for her and terminated before she could get an appointment. She demonstrated this to the staff, who got the same result.
These incidents demonstrate what some seniors have to go through for basic services. When looking at productivity gains, the time wasted by some in using the app must also be considered.
Not everyone has the means to own a smartphone. Maybe this rush for digitalisation should be relooked to ensure that some are not left behind.

Pradeep K. Mathur

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: Some seniors still have trouble getting polyclinic appointments with mobile apps​

Aug 31, 2022

I refer to the letter, "Mobile apps may present challenges to seniors" (Aug 25).
I am a senior and last week I wanted to see a doctor for pain in my feet. To book an appointment at Queenstown Polyclinic, I called the appointment hotline several times for two days.
Each time, an automated message told me the operators were busy, and I should try the OneNUHS app or wait on the line.
On the third day, I finally managed to get an appointment. Those were three very painful days.
While at the polyclinic, I had to wait for 45 minutes at the reception to get a referral for a podiatrist. In that time, I observed the following:
  • A man in his late 70s complained that he could not get a same-day appointment since the day before. He did not own a smartphone and was not familiar with how to use one, and said he could not keep borrowing one from others. The reception staff tried to show him how to use a smartphone, but he could not understand, and they booked an appointment for him.
  • Another man in his 60s walked in with his hands trembling badly. He too said he could not use the app. Seeing his condition, the staff booked an appointment for him that was in two hours' time.
  • A young woman walked in pushing an elderly woman in a wheelchair. She told the staff the app was not working for her and terminated before she could get an appointment. She demonstrated this to the staff, who got the same result.
These incidents demonstrate what some seniors have to go through for basic services. When looking at productivity gains, the time wasted by some in using the app must also be considered.
Not everyone has the means to own a smartphone. Maybe this rush for digitalisation should be relooked to ensure that some are not left behind.

Pradeep K. Mathur
For these old n infirmed...soylent Green is a more humane option

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: No one-size-fits-all solution for helping seniors navigate online banking services​

Sep 7, 2022

I thank Ms Gan Boey Keow for highlighting in her letter the plight of many seniors who have had to wait hours to have their banking needs attended to (Long queues due to fewer manned branches, Aug 23).
I find that DBS Bank's reply (Staff present at self-service bank branches to guide customers, Aug 29) did not suggest effective solutions.
Saying that most of the popular transactions over the counter can now be done online or at more than 1,300 self-service machines available 24/7 is not helpful for the seniors who do not know how to use the machines. The staff present also cannot stop the long queues from forming.
Though many transactions, including opening an account, can now be done via Internet banking or self-service machines, certain groups of people may need some hand-holding.
DBS should study the ability profile of customers and their banking needs, and implement appropriate solutions. There is no one-size-fits-all solution.
There are seniors with no ability to do online banking on their own, as well as those with special needs. They should be given a special queue number to be served in person.
Then there are those who can be taught on the spot how to use Internet banking or a self-service machine. Some hand-holding by DBS staff will be needed to show them how. Perhaps customers could also be given a printed guide to try out these steps on their own at home.

There are also people who, though capable of online banking, prefer a face-to-face interaction - they should be required to queue.
I hope that banks will consider my suggestions, and that the Monetary Authority of Singapore will steer banks in the right direction.

Seah Guan Hai

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cycling community raises safety concerns over drain gratings​

ac_cyling_250922.jpg

PUB said it had records of 12 verified incidents of injury due to drain gratings from 2012 to 2022, five of which involved cyclists. ST PHOTO: FELINE LIM
deepanrajganesan.png

Deepanraj Ganesan

SEP 24, 2022

SINGAPORE – It is the third most popular sport and physical activity in the country after walking and jogging, and according to the Government’s Open Data Portal, the percentage of the population that took up cycling to stay active rose from 5 per cent in 2019 to 13 per cent last year.
With many cyclists out and about every day, safety is a priority, and a recent negligence suit brought by a cyclist against PUB over an incident involving a drain grating has set the community talking.
In early September, Myanmar national Maung Maung Aung Soe Thu, 42, accepted a settlement offer by PUB after he suffered serious injuries when the front wheel of his bicycle got caught in a 3cm gap of a drain grating in Changi Point Coastal Walk on Jan 16 last year.
Mr Francis Chu, co-founder of Love Cycling SG – which has more than 30,000 members on social media today, up from 3,000 in the first year in 2010 – said the incident raises an “issue for the authorities to take seriously”, and also serves as a reminder to cyclists to be cautious.
He recounted his own experience in 2011 when his front wheel got trapped between a metal drain cover and its concrete opening on a road in Geylang East Central.
The 62-year-old, who is in the design industry, said: “It got trapped after I was forced to the extreme left of the road to keep clear of an oncoming bus. I only had minor injuries even though I was flung onto the road. I was very fortunate.”
In response to queries from The Sunday Times, a spokesman for the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said it sets out standards and guidelines for common road elements, including drains, kerbs and pavements, as a reference for road construction.

Said the spokesman: “Once the road is constructed, road elements under the charge and responsibility of respective agencies are handed over to the agencies for the management, repair and maintenance.”
He said that in 2011, in consultation with PUB, the LTA revised the design of on-road drain gratings.
All on-road drain gratings since then run perpendicular to traffic flow.
Meanwhile, a PUB spokesman said its primary consideration is that any new drain grating design must be effective in channelling stormwater away from the road surface.

The spokesman added: “As part of road-raising and drainage upgrading works, PUB will also replace existing drain gratings in accordance with the revised design.”
Mr Maung Maung, who suffered head and spinal injuries as well as facial fractures, had sought damages of at least $578,000 from the national water agency, arguing that PUB had failed to ensure that drain gratings along the road were safe for users.
After one day of trial, he accepted a settlement offer with no admission of liability by PUB. It was agreed the settlement terms would not be made public.

Mr Mark Teng, executive director at legal firm That.Legal LLC, said it is largely unheard of that settlement terms are made public.
Mr Teng said: “Regardless of who the parties involved are and what the settlement sums are, if the agreement between the parties is to keep it confidential, then the law will hold the parties to their agreement.”
In its opening statement on the first day of trial, PUB said it had records of 12 verified incidents of injury due to drain gratings from 2012 to 2022, five of which, including Mr Maung Maung’s case, involved cyclists.
ST understands that the 12 incidents are not representative of all cases here, as some could have been referred to other agencies.
PUB said the probability of a cyclist suffering moderate to serious injury from an accident involving a drain grating was 0.00001 per cent on an annual basis.
It added that the cost of inspecting more than a million gratings and replacing affected ones would be astronomical.
Mr Jeffrey Tan, 61, a director in an industrial waste water treatment company, was a victim in 2013.
He was hospitalised for almost two weeks when the front wheel of his bicycle got trapped in a drain grating in Kampong Ampat, sending him crashing onto the road.
He suffered a broken upper jaw, a broken nose and a cracked chin bone.
He said he was cycling at a “low speed” and yet was flung over when his front wheel got caught.
“I will never forget that day because I almost died... I have a phobia of cycling now,” said Mr Tan.
“This is an issue that has existed for some time, and reading about the latest incident brought back unsavoury memories.”

Mr Joseph Choo, 65, a retiree, suffered bruises on his face and a chipped tooth after his bicycle wheel got trapped in a drain grating in 2018 in Robinson Road.
He has since made it a point to report any drain grating he feels poses a danger on the OneService mobile app.
The app, launched by the Municipal Services Office in 2015, allows residents to report various community issues including those involving facilities in HDB estates, pests, public parks, roads and footpaths.
Mr Choo called for a systematic inspection of all drain gratings.
He said: “There are more cyclists on the road nowadays than ever before. I hope the authorities can address this issue.
“Yes, I know it can be costly but not doing anything is unacceptable.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Cost should not be obstacle to preventing accidents​

Sep 28, 2022

It was disappointing to read that national water agency PUB said the probability of a cyclist suffering moderate to serious injury from an accident involving a drain grating was 0.00001 per cent annually (Cyclist sues PUB for at least $578k after accident involving drain grating, Sept 7).
Such accidents could lead to serious injuries. I am disappointed that PUB is not taking a stance of "one injury is one too many".
PUB said the cost of inspecting gratings and replacing affected ones would be astronomical, but it should also consider the costs incurred when a person suffers a serious injury.

Danny Chow

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: URA and HDB should use the same app for parking​

Sep 28, 2022

To pay for parking at an Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) carpark, visitors use the Parking.sg app. For parking at Housing Board carparks, visitors use the Parking@HDB app.
Trying to find a carpark is already stressful. Now we have to figure out whether we are in a URA carpark or an HDB carpark and use the right app. In this sense, tearing coupons may be more user-friendly as both URA and HDB use the same system.
The OneService app and OneMotoring app each streamlines services under one app.
URA and HDB should just come up with one app for parking.

Patrick Tan Siong Kuan

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bigger clusters within the government tend to have better quality control. Eg. if you call hospital helpdesk for SGH, SKH, NUH, etc, they will treat you with more respect and more patient to explain your options for changing appointment, billing, visiting, etc.

Try contacting the retirement-village mini-clusters like SNEC, NDC, etc, you will vomit blood.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Drain grating design improved but gaps still exist​

OCT 3, 2022

National water agency PUB's letter, "PUB replaces old drain gratings progressively" (Oct 1), said drain gratings are being replaced in accordance with the latest design and standards, revised by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) in 2011.
The new design has grating bars which run perpendicular to traffic flow.
I noticed that steel wire mesh is also fixed on top of some gratings to prevent leaves and other objects from entering the drain.
This enhances safety for cyclists and is therefore a good design.
Unfortunately, I have also observed that in some cases, there is still a gap between the grating cover and the concrete edge of the drainage outlet.
There are many levels of checks throughout the installation process - at the construction stage, on completion before LTA takes over from the contractor, and when LTA hands it over to PUB.
But some defects seem to have slipped through the checks.

I urge PUB to check all roadside drain gratings thoroughly and rectify any defects to prevent further accidents from happening.
Good design with poor workmanship and quality control is just as bad as poor design.
Yao Chee Liew

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Better to focus on outcomes and how to resolve issues​

OCT 8, 2022

Forum writer Jim Simon's observation that, too often, traffic warning cones are placed too close to roadwork sites to be of much use is not a new one (No sign placed at an earlier point to warn motorists, Oct 6).
I have previously written to the Land Transport Authority on this issue, the last time in 2018.
The reply I got was an elaboration on the Code of Practice that is already in place and what contractors are required to do.
However, despite the existence of the code, the problem still seems to persist and I have since stopped providing feedback on the issue.
I am less concerned about what measures are already in place than with ensuring something is done and that motorists will not face the same problem.
On Oct 3, Forum writer Yao Chee Liew rightly pointed out that poor workmanship and lack of quality control resulting in gaps at the edge of road gratings was a case of good design that still resulted in poor outcomes (Drain gratings: Design improved but gaps still exist).
These incidents illustrate the need for agencies to focus on final outcomes and ensure such outcomes are maintained.

Responses to feedback should not just focus on repeating to users the measures that are already in place.
While it is good for users to know these measures, the impression given at times is that the replies are more focused on the agency having done its part and how it is not to blame.
It will instead be more meaningful for users to know that the issue will be resolved, not just after the feedback but for good, via continued monitoring and enforcement.

Peh Chwee Hoe

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Two ideas to consider for drivers' sake​

Oct 13, 2022

I refer to the letter, "Better to focus on outcomes and how to resolve issues" (Oct 8).
I raised two issues with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) in the past that have not been addressed.
First, could LTA please consider installing U-turn spots along the arterial roads leading to the Woodlands and Tuas checkpoints?
Many motorists who intend to visit Malaysia for leisure may change their minds when faced with the possibility of queueing for hours, but have no "escape routes" by which to leave the queue.
If U-turns can be made at appropriate sections of the arterial roads, I am sure this would minimise the agony of motorists and lighten the workload of checkpoint staff.
Such U-turn spots could also be installed along appropriate sections of expressways that are prone to traffic jams. They would allow motorists to take alternative routes instead of adding to the jam.
Second, could LTA please reconsider traffic light countdowns? I understand the fear that motorists would speed up to beat the countdown. But I have seen this system working well in other cities. The countdown helps motorists to judge their approach towards the traffic light junction and lets them know the exact waiting time before the light turns green.

Without a system like this, motorists now steal a glance at the green man countdowns to guess how much time they have before the lights change.
LTA has done many good things. Please add two more.

Chia Boon Teck

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: It takes too long to get parking label for those with mobility issues​

Oct 20, 2022

My partner recently fractured his leg and wrist in an accident and underwent surgery.
We applied for a Class 2 parking label under the Car Park Label Scheme, which allows vehicles to park in accessible parking spaces for up to 60 minutes to allow passengers with mobility impairment to alight or board.
The application took more than a month to process, which is way too long. This is especially so as patients are typically discharged from hospital for home recovery just a few days after the operation.
Once the application has been approved, the applicant is allowed to park in accessible spaces while waiting for the label to arrive by mail.
But without the pass, it is not clearly visible to other users of parking spaces that the person parking in the accessible space is allowed to do so. This may create unnecessary tension and misunderstanding among residents.
The current processes should be reviewed to shorten the time required to process an application.
The approval letter stated that all prevailing parking charges apply. Given the logistical and administrative stress of transporting and attending to a passenger with mobility impairment, perhaps the parking charges for the 60-minute time limit could be waived, as Singapore moves towards a more socially inclusive and caring society.

Edwin Goh

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your picture: How to pay attention when there are 14 signboards at start of nature trail?​

signboards.jpg

PHOTO: PHILIP SIOW

Oct 20, 2022

I counted 14 signboards at the entrance to the MacRitchie nature trail near St Theresa’s Home.
They are put up by various agencies such as PUB and the National Parks Board.
These signboards are not only unsightly, but also give the impression of little coordination between agencies when it comes to signs in public spaces. Little consideration seems to have been given to aesthetics or message impact.
At the end of the day, no one bothers to pay attention to them.
The agencies can do a better job of coordinating their signboards.

Philip Siow

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Electric vehicles over weight limit cannot easily get season parking​

Nov 9, 2022

I applaud the Government’s recent announcement on the installation of at least 12,000 electric vehicle (EV) charging points across HDB carparks by the end of 2025 (5 operators picked to run at least 12,000 charging points in HDB carparks by end-2025, Nov 2).
This investment will help encourage more motorists to convert to EVs. It is as good as having a refilling station right on one’s doorstep.
However, more needs to be done on the ground to make EVs more compelling.
My colleagues who drive commercial EVs tell me they cannot obtain HDB season parking in their neighbourhood because of HDB’s weight limit of 2,000kg.
HDB had asked them to submit their vehicle catalogue or brochure to verify the weight, and approval is on a case-by-case basis.
In view of the growing adoption of EVs, HDB should review this weight limit for season parking. Unlike traditional internal combustion engine vehicles, an EV tends to be heavier due to the battery. This is especially so for commercial vans.
An internal combustion engine model would weigh easily 200kg less than its EV counterpart despite having the same physical dimensions. Many of the bigger passenger cars also weigh above 2,000kg. Is HDB going to deal with each parking application one by one painstakingly instead of amending the weight limit once and for all?

Also, with digitalisation, shouldn’t HDB work with the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to obtain vehicle details seamlessly? Would a mere vehicle brochure or catalogue be good enough to prove its weight?
This season parking issue seems to suggest a lack of collaboration between government agencies. LTA should work with HDB on this issue before committing to the mass installation of charging stations.

Henry Ong Ling Tiong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: National Skin Centre’s $10 appointment booking deposit to deter no-shows and improve scheduling​

Nov 9, 2022

We thank Mr Loh Hong Lee for his feedback (Why the need for $10 appointment deposit at skin centre?, Nov 4).
The National Skin Centre’s appointment booking deposit of $10 is for patients booking their next follow-up appointment.
This has been in place since 2001, with the objective of minimising no-show of appointments.
The appointment booking deposit is refundable when patients turn up for their appointments as scheduled.
Patients who are unable to keep their appointments can call to cancel or reschedule three days in advance to avoid their booking deposit being forfeited.
This arrangement has largely prompted more responsible use of our tight appointment slots, resulting in more efficient scheduling of appointments.
More importantly, it translates into an improvement in patient care by reducing the waiting time for appointments and enabling timely access to our services by those who truly require them.

Alternatively, patients may opt for an open appointment, which does not require any deposit, and those who require financial assistance may ask for a waiver.
As for those who cancel their appointments at the last minute due to unforeseen circumstances, they may appeal against losing their deposit.
Such appeals are generally successful when there are legitimate reasons.
The refund can also be made upon request when the patient has no upcoming appointment scheduled with us, or done automatically upon discharge.
We assure Mr Loh and the public that no patient has so far been denied an appointment for financial reasons or been denied a refund when valid reasons have been given.
If Mr Loh has any further query, he may contact our corporate communications team at [email protected] so that we can attend to him.

Tan Suat Hoon (Professor)
Director
National Skin Centre

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: ActiveSG should ask customers how they prefer to communicate​

NOV 12, 2022

I was recently made aware that ActiveSG had informed customers of changes to their badminton court bookings via WhatsApp. I do not use WhatsApp for privacy and security reasons, and missed the notification.
Government agencies should not assume that everyone is using WhatsApp. Can I recommend that we stick to SMS notifications, or at least ask customers for their preferred medium of communication?

Soh Chin Chuan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Skin centre appointment pushed back many months with each reschedule request​

DEC 8, 2022

I visited the National Skin Centre on Jan 7, 2021, and a review appointment was scheduled for Dec 9, 2021.
Due to unavoidable circumstances, which included Covid-19-related issues, I had to postpone my appointment four times. It was first rescheduled to March 2022, then July, and then November. Now, my appointment is set for April 17, 2023.
Why is the date pushed back an average of four months every time an appointment is rescheduled?
It will be more than two years since I last saw a doctor at the skin centre. Fortunately, mine is not an urgent or serious case.
Nonetheless, the medication I received on my January 2021 visit has long since expired or been used up.

Raoul Sequeira

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Specialist appointments are many months away​

DEC 8, 2022

Getting timely specialist appointments for medical conditions is becoming a challenge.
I have diabetes, and was referred to a hospital and the Singapore National Eye Centre for follow-up tests and examination of key indicators such as falling sodium levels and floaters (spots) in my vision.
The earliest appointments I could get were on Feb 17 and May 8 in 2023. And these were for referrals made in November 2022.
The impact of low sodium levels or floaters in vision could be much worse after having to wait four to six months.
The authorities should look into the situation to ensure that timely medical assistance is provided at all levels.

Nallan Chakravarti Raghava