• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The standard of service from the civil/government services

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your picture: Buses wait every weekday with engines on​

24yourpicture.jpg

PHOTO: WONG HSIEN WAE

JAN 24, 2022

Buses with idling engines (above) stopping along double-yellow lines in Woodlands Avenue 2 have been a daily occurrence, except for weekends and public holidays, for the past few years.
The buses are there in the mornings to pick up company staff. They probably wait for the correct time to do so before eventually turning into a pick-up point farther up the road.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) stated last year that action was taken against 3,800 motorists for idling engine offences in 2020 (Action taken against 3,800 motorists over idling engines, Oct 27, 2021). This translates to about 10 motorists a day. I am sure the number of idling vehicles in Woodlands Avenue 2 alone is more than this.
The NEA letter also welcomed feedback on areas where motorists leave their vehicle engines idling. I have been giving feedback on the problem since November last year.
I welcome any action taken by the relevant authorities.

Wong Hsien Wae

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No surveillance and action taken by LTA and NEA for years. LTA and NEA started taking action only after a complaint.

Forum: LTA, NEA have taken action against idling buses, will continue to monitor situation​

Jan 31, 2022

We refer to Mr Wong Hsien Wae's letter, "Buses wait every weekday with engines on" (Jan 24).
Mr Wong mentioned that he had observed buses with idling engines along double-yellow lines in Woodlands Avenue 2 every weekday and had been reporting the problem.
Following his earlier feedback, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has been deploying parking wardens to enforce the rules against illegally parked buses along Woodlands Avenue 2.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) has conducted surveillance and taken enforcement action against errant bus drivers who flouted the idling engine regulations. NEA has also distributed pamphlets on idling engine regulations to the bus drivers to promote compliance.
LTA and NEA will continue to monitor the situation and will not hesitate to take necessary enforcement action.
Members of the public can submit feedback on illegal parking offences via the OneService application or by calling the parking hotline on 1800 338 6622, and can report idling engine offences to NEA via www.nea.gov.sg or the myENV mobile application.

Calvin Ng
Director, Enforcement and Compliance Management
Land Transport Authority

Chow Chee Kiong
Director, Pollution Control 2 Division
National Environment Agency

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Dad had hard time submitting particulars to police​

FEB 1, 2022

Recently my dad, who is 74 years old, received a notice for a traffic offence and was told to submit his particulars through the Traffic Police website. Not knowing how to use the Internet, he asked me to assist him.
The first thing I noticed is that there is no way to provide the information other than via Singpass login. However, as he did not know those details, I had to request a mailed copy of his Singpass password.
After receiving the password, I tried to log in again but was notified on the website that a one-time password had to be sent to a mobile number. As my own mobile number was used for my Singpass login, I could not use it for him.
My dad does not own a mobile phone and now I have to get a phone for him just for this purpose.
It has been a frustrating process just trying to submit simple information to the police.
The system does not seem to consider the needs of the older generation of users who may not be literate or tech-savvy. There should still be an option for providing this information via a more traditional method, like filling up and mailing back a form.
The older generation should not be made to feel lost and out of touch over such matters.

I hope that government agencies will be more sensitive to such situations and not leave people behind in pursuing technological advancement.

Elaine Soong Siew Kim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Process medical claims by pensioners faster​

Feb 16, 2022

Pensioners with the former Port of Singapore Authority have to wait at least five weeks for their medical claims to be processed and paid.
The payment is made with their pension payments on the 25th of the month.
Claims must be submitted on or before the 16th to be processed and paid the following month. Claims submitted after the 16th are paid the month after the following month. This has been the case for decades.
I request that this long waiting period be shortened to help with pensioners' daily cash flow.

Too Sung Boo

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Not enough rubbish bins at MacRitchie​

cp16yourpic.jpg

Monkeys picking at rubbish scattered next to a bin at MacRitchie Reservoir Park, as seen on the morning of Feb 14, 2022. PHOTO: CHIN KEE THOU

Feb 16, 2022

MacRitchie Reservoir Park is popular with many visitors for outdoor activities such as jogging, hiking and tai chi. Come the weekend, many gather there for picnics.
Unfortunately, there are not enough bins at the park for the amount of trash that is produced, and much of it is left scattered around the bin area.
This attracts not only flies but also scavengers like crows.
Monkeys, as seen in this photo taken on Monday morning, are also attracted to the trash.
The strewn rubbish is unsightly and also poses a hygiene hazard.
I would appreciate it if the authorities could look into the matter, and provide enough bins to accommodate the trash.

Chin Kee Thou

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Need to have better integration across healthcare clusters​

Feb 17, 2022

As a caregiver of two elderly parents with different ailments, I often have to take them to different restructured hospitals for their appointments.
Navigating the different apps developed by the different public healthcare clusters - SingHealth, National Healthcare Group and National University Health System - is something that is really confusing for caregivers like myself, let alone our elderly parents.
Each cluster has its own processes, appointment systems and payment systems which are very different from the others.
When Singapore's public healthcare sector was reorganised into three integrated clusters in 2017, then Health Minister Gan Kim Yong said the move would better optimise resources and capabilities, and provide more comprehensive and patient-centred care to meet Singaporeans' evolving needs.
But the three clusters have their own sets of computer systems and components for collecting, storing and processing data, and for providing information, knowledge and digital products such as their apps.
As creating such information systems and apps are costly affairs, I don't see how this will result in cost savings for patients as there will be duplication of effort and work by the different clusters.
We should look into ways to better integrate systems across the three clusters.

Loh Shurn Lin

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Make it easier to report spam SMSes​

Feb 18, 2022

SMS spam has become rampant in recent years.
The current method of asking the public to report spam messages via an online form on the police's I-Witness platform is outdated and cumbersome.
By comparison, in the United States, people can easily report unwanted texts by forwarding them to a single number.

Cheong Tuck Kuan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Markings on park connectors should be standardised​

Feb 24, 2022

Last week, I was enjoying a walk along the Kallang and Tanjong Rhu Promenade park connectors when I noticed several types of markings indicating how different users such as pedestrians and cyclists should share the path.
One part had no dividing line to separate pedestrians and cyclists. Another section had a red line in the middle of the path, with no indication of which zone was for pedestrians or cyclists.
The third type of markings I saw included a red line on the ground, with symbols for cyclists on one side and arrows to show in which direction they should travel. The other side of the path had similar directional arrows and a marking indicating that no e-scooters were allowed.
The fourth variation I saw had no divider line, a pedestrian and a cyclist icon together on one side of the path, and only a cyclist icon on the other side.
I find it confusing to have so many types of markings. The fourth type seems like the most dangerous and I hope it can be rectified as soon as possible.
Of all these, I prefer the third type. It shows clearly that one-third of the path is for pedestrians with the other two-thirds for cyclists, and also which devices are not allowed. "Keep left" arrows are also given for both pedestrians and cyclists.
The markings and icons should be standardised and made known to park connector users.

This would keep the pathways and parks safe for everyone.

Lim Poh Seng

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your picture: Leaves on top of sheltered walkway not cleared​

28yourpic.jpg

PHOTO: JEFF TAN HONG LIAK

Feb 28, 2022

It is unsightly to see the top of sheltered pathways covered with a thick layer of fallen leaves that have been there for a long time.
This picture was taken last week from Food Junction in Nex shopping mall in Serangoon.
The accumulated leaves gathering rainwater could damage the roofs of the shelters.
The National Environment Agency should look into this. Maintenance workers could use leaf blowers to clear the leaves.

Jeff Tan Hong Liak

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the outcome that Dot predicted.

https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/th...-at-hawker-centres.291233/page-4#post-3417390

Forum: Tables at eateries not being sufficiently cleaned​

Mar 1, 2022

Now that customers are required to clear their own cutlery after eating, things have vastly improved from before, when plates of unsightly half-eaten food were left on tables.
However, the cleanliness of tables has not changed - some are sticky with remnants of food.
Cleaners spend their time at the disposal stations either removing debris from plates or chatting.
I have asked cleaners to wipe the tables, and been met with rude stares and the message that the tables are already clean.
We as patrons are already doing our part, so can the authorities please pass a message to cleaning agencies to educate their staff to ensure tables are wiped in preparation for the next diner?
I noticed some diners wiping their table before leaving, but there is only so much a piece of tissue can do.

Christine Kee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long process before even small payments are made to SMEs​

MAR 4, 2022

Many big organisations and government agencies require a physical direct credit authorisation form to be filled in, verified by the bank branch and sent via postal mail for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to be paid even for invoices lower than a typical grocery bill.
These visits to the bank can take as long as two hours.
Also, the original form could be lost in the mail, within the organisation or at the organisation's bank, in which case the process would have to be repeated.
Is there a way to digitalise this tedious task?

Jeremy Ko Sheng Wei

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your picture: Clear drain that's causing flash flood​

07yourpic.jpg

PHOTO: THOMAS LIM

Mar 7, 2022

The drain outside Canossaville Children and Community Services, adjacent to the sheltered walkway leading to the carpark of the Church of St Stephen, has not been cleared for a considerable period of time. The stagnant water makes it a prime mosquito breeding site.
On multiple occasions when there was heavy rain, there was no outlet for the water to drain away, and a flash flood developed.
This greatly inconvenienced students, parishioners and other users of the sheltered walkway. The most recent instance of this happening was last Wednesday evening when parishioners had to traverse the open space next to Mattar MRT station to get to the church.
Notably, flash floods in the vicinity began occurring only after the construction of a condominium next to the MRT station commenced.
Could the National Environment Agency and the condominium developer look into this matter urgently?

Thomas Lim

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Polyclinics should be able to fill prescriptions for patients receiving home nursing care​

Mar 7, 2022

My 94-year-old mother uses a wheelchair, has a visual disability and severe dementia. She is receiving home nursing care.
During the doctor's most recent house call last week, my mother was found to have a bed sore. The doctor prescribed medication to manage the sore.
As it was already after office hours, I took the prescription to a nearby pharmacy but the medication was not available. I was told that I could get it from a polyclinic.
The next day, I took the prescription to a polyclinic, but it could not be filled.
I was given reasons among which were that the prescription is by a private clinic, that some of the medication is not carried at the polyclinic and that for the medication that is carried, the polyclinic carries enough stock for only its registered patients.
I eventually went to Changi General Hospital (CGH) to collect all the medication. I typically get medication from CGH, but because of the urgency of my mother's condition, the suggestion made by pharmacy staff and the current pandemic situation in hospitals, I had gone to the nearest polyclinic instead.
It would be helpful if the Ministry of Health allowed patients under home nursing care to get prescriptions filled at the nearest polyclinic.

Cheong Ai Luan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore's anti-SMS spoofing registry to shut and be replaced by new system​

yu_smsregistry.jpg

IMDA is in the process of re-registering banks, government agencies and other organisations on the new system, dubbed the Singapore SMS Sender ID Registry. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
irene_tham.png

Irene Tham
Tech Editor

Mar 7, 2022

SINGAPORE - The original Singapore registry that let listed organisations protect their brands from being misused in SMS for scams will be shut down from Monday (March 7) in a surprise move.
All major retail banks and government agencies in Singapore were required to get on the Singapore SMS SenderID Protection Registry pilot, in the wake of recent SMS phishing scams targeting OCBC Bank customers.
Confirming the closure in an e-mail, the registry's London-based creator, Mobile Ecosystem Forum (MEF), said: "MEF's vision for the development and growth of the registry didn't match that of the IMDA (Infocomm Media Development Authority).
"The decision has been taken to close the registry and allow the regulator to develop its own system according to its own specifications," MEF told The Straits Times.
When contacted, an IMDA spokesman said a new system operated by its subsidiary, the Singapore Network Information Centre, which also runs Singapore's .sg domain name system, is in place.
IMDA is in the process of re-registering banks, government agencies and other organisations on the new system, dubbed the Singapore SMS Sender ID Registry.
There was talk within the industry that IMDA and MEF could not agree on the role of the registry, which allows SMS messages that spoof registered names to be blocked on mobile operators' networks.

Sources said IMDA wanted more proactive blocking, which MEF would not provide. One source said: "The closure came as a surprise considering we were all told to get on board."
Confirming market talk, IMDA said: "Given the recent incidents of SMS phishing scams in Singapore, it is clear that a strong response is needed."
The authority said its new system can identify and block spoofed messages upfront, adding: "This more proactive stance to better protect consumers is a regulatory requirement going forward."

IMDA also said the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Association of Banks in Singapore are supportive of the new registry, which they believe will provide Singapore with greater control and flexibility in developing regulatory measures that better protect consumers here.
"MEF had informed that IMDA's requirements to meet Singapore's needs going forward are not consistent with its business model," said the infocomm regulator.
MEF, a global trade body, first developed the registry in 2018 before Singapore adopted it last August as a pilot. MEF's registry is also being used in Britain, Ireland and Spain.
Registration here was initially voluntary, with SingPost and e-commerce platform Lazada among the early adopters.

An urgent call was made to all retail banks and government agencies here to get on the original registry after 790 OCBC customers lost $13.7 million to SMS scams in December and January.
These phishing SMS messages bear the OCBC header and were grouped in the same SMS thread as other legitimate messages, making it hard for consumers to distinguish them.
All four local telcos - Singtel, StarHub, M1 and TPG Telecom - and all major SMS aggregators that handle commercial SMS traffic for organisations also got on the registry after IMDA directed them to do so.
IMDA had also considered making it compulsory for all local organisations to be listed.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The system was created in 2018.
We made it "compulsory" two months back.
Now, we say we got new system.
So, are there headless chickens or not running SG?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: More than 2 hours' wait for bank customer service​

MAR 9, 2022

On Monday, I went to the DBS Bank branch at Westgate mall to make an over-the-counter transaction.
I got there at around 11.50am and was asked to leave my mobile number for a queue number to be sent to me.
I waited till about 1.20pm but did not receive an SMS. It was only after I approached a bank employee at 1.30pm that an SMS was sent.
With the queue number, I entered the waiting area. When my number was still not called after 25 minutes, I decided to give up, as I did not know how much longer I needed to wait and I was already late for work.
I was informed via SMS at 2.30pm that my number would be served, but I had already left by then.
While I understand that productivity and efficiency are affected by Covid-19, I do hope that such long waiting times do not become a norm.

Lim Beng Lee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

NUH probes case of pregnant woman who was allegedly left unattended for 2 hours and lost baby​

af_nuh1_220322.jpg

Facebook user Mee Pok Tah said that his wife was left "bleeding profusely" for two hours after she arrived at NUH on March 15, 2022. PHOTOS: ST FILE, MEE POK TAH/FACEBOOK
nadinechua.png

Nadine Chua

Mar 22, 2022

SINGAPORE - The National University Hospital (NUH) is investigating an incident where a woman, who was 36 weeks pregnant, was allegedly left unattended for two hours at the hospital's Emergency Medicine Department and later lost her baby.
In a Facebook post on Monday (March 21), the woman's husband said no one attended to his wife for two hours after she arrived at NUH in an ambulance on March 15 and was left "bleeding profusely" for about two hours.
In an update of his post on Monday afternoon, he said he received a call on Monday from NUH which informed him that investigations into the matter are ongoing.
He did not respond when The Straits Times tried to contact him on Facebook.
When asked about the incident, NUH directed ST to its Facebook post.
NUH said on Facebook on Tuesday morning (March 22) that it is aware of social media posts and reports regarding the incident and is in touch with the family to provide support during this difficult time.
The NUH post said: "Out of respect for the family, we seek the public's understanding not to speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident."

The woman's husband, whose Facebook name is Mee Pok Tah, said he called an ambulance after his wife started "bleeding profusely from the birth canal" as she was showering at 9.30pm on March 15.
According to him, paramedics arrived within 10 minutes and his wife was attended to immediately. She was subsequently taken to NUH and reached the hospital at about 10.30pm.
He added that upon their arrival at NUH, a nurse was informed about the condition of his wife, who was still bleeding at the time.
He wrote: "The nurse came and only set up the monitoring device to check on my (wife's) vital signs and left. She was left there bleeding profusely and left unattended for an estimated time of two hours.
"No doctors and nurses came to check and attend to my wife for two hours and no one informed her that there (was) no bed in the maternity ward."

He said his wife was sent to a maternity ward after two hours where she was attended to by doctors and nurses, adding: "After checking on my wife and the baby, the doctors told my wife that the (baby's) heart structure was there but there was no heartbeat and hence he has passed away."
According to Mee Pok Tah's earlier post on March 16, the baby was cremated at Mandai Crematorium.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Residents asked to be patient until new vehicle noise standards kick in​

MAR 21, 2022

I live in a condominium close to the Pan-Island Expressway.
As the noise level was unbearable, the condo's management corporation asked the Land Transport Authority (LTA) three years ago to conduct a sound measurement. The decibel level was found to be above the permissible level.
Through our MP, residents asked the LTA to build a sound barrier for the sake of our well-being. The LTA declined the request and asked us to be patient as the sound level would go down after new vehicle noise standards are adopted from next year.
It also said it plans to repave the pavement next year to better absorb sound.
But until all that happens, what about the possible effects on residents' health? Can I turn to the LTA for help if my mental health deteriorates or I experience hearing loss?
I have been enduring the noise for many years, but it has become worse after the trees that used to act as a sound barrier were recently pruned.

Jackie Tan Siew Wei

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your picture: Shocked by overflowing litter bins at coastal parks​

imgonline-com-ua-compressed-yCybCmwDRohbscI.jpg

An overflowing rubbish bin at West Coast Park on March 19, 2022. PHOTO: JASPAL SINGH SIDHU

PUBLISHED

MAR 22, 2022

I am an avid walker at both the East and West Coast parks.
It is shocking to see rubbish bins overflowing with trash from the previous day at these parks, especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
These bins are just at the sea front. The rubbish can be carried into the sea by birds and the wind.
I notice that a lot of the rubbish is packaging from nearby food and beverage outlets.
I am inclined to criticise government agencies and call on them to do more to tackle the litter.
However, I also feel that perhaps the food and beverage operators need to play a bigger role to help keep these outdoor spaces clean.

Jaspal Singh Sidhu

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

KKH investigating pregnant woman's claim that she waited four hours to be treated and lost her baby​

ads-kkh-24032022.jpg

KK Women's and Children's Hospital said it is aware of an online account of the incident at its Urgent O&G Centre. ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
nadinechua.png

Nadine Chua

Mar 24, 2022

SINGAPORE - KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) is looking into a pregnant woman's claim that she waited for four hours to be treated for abdominal pains at the hospital and eventually lost her baby.
Prof Tan Hak Koon, chairman of the Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (O&G) at KKH, told The Straits Times on Thursday (March 24) that the hospital is aware of an online account of the incident at its Urgent O&G Centre.
"We take patient feedback seriously and are looking into this," added Prof Tan.
The woman's claims about the Feb 28 incident have been making their rounds on social media.
She said she was 20 weeks pregnant at the time, and had tested positive for Covid-19 and tried to get treatment at two private hospitals after experiencing severe abdominal pains.
She claimed she was denied treatment at both hospitals, which were not named, as she needed to be attended to by an infectious diseases gynaecologist because she had tested positive for Covid-19.
The woman subsequently arrived at KKH at 2pm to seek treatment but was told to wait at the drop-off area.

She said that at 5pm, she started to bleed but was still not attended to.
When a doctor eventually saw her at 6pm, she said she was told that she had lost her baby.
KKH is urging the patient to contact it at [email protected]
Said Prof Tan: "Despite our best efforts, we are still unable to identify the patient based on the information that is publicly available.
"We are concerned about the patient's well-being and seek the opportunity to address her concerns, and provide the necessary support."
News of this alleged incident follows a separate case where a 36-week pregnant woman who was bleeding had to wait at the National University Hospital's (NUH) emergency department (ED) for two hours and later lost her baby.
In its statement on Wednesday night, NUH apologised and said it should have done more to provide closer monitoring and care to the woman during the March 15 incident.
The hospital said it is reviewing its process of managing expectant patients admitted into the ED so that such incidents do not happen again.