• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The reasons why you would not return trays at hawker centres?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What happens when I clear the table and return the utensils and trays?
When I eat, some food, soup or gravy may spill onto the table.
When there are bones, I put the bones on the table. Even if I put the bones back into the bowls when I clear my table, the table is already dirtied.
There is also water condensation from cold drinks that fall onto the table.
The NEA is expecting all patrons to use tissues to wipe the table but this is a naive expectation.
Not all patrons carry tissue, and not all patrons see it as their responsibility to wipe the table.
Yes, they can clear the table but will not wipe the table.
From far, the table looks clean to the cleaners, and they will not come over to wipe the table.
But the table is still dirty and the next patrons cannot occupy the table, or have to take out tissues to clean the table.
It is better to leave a clean table for the next patrons.
And the way to do it is to leave the table uncleared, have the cleaners come over and clear the table as well as wipe the table.
The patrons do not have to put up with the hassles of clearing their own tables, more cleaners are employed, and the table is cleaned for the next patrons.

Forum: Over a third refuse to return trays, clear used tissues at hawker centres

We thank Ms Susan Tan Lin Neo for her feedback (Dangers of bad habits at hawker centres not taken seriously, Aug 13).

We agree with her that patrons at hawker centres must clear their own trays and used tissues. As used tissues or wet wipes can be contaminated, they pose a risk to others who touch them directly, or the surfaces they were in contact with.

The National Environment Agency (NEA) urges the public to properly dispose of their used tissues and wet wipes to keep the dining tables clean for the next user, and minimise the risk of disease transmission to cleaners and other diners.

Ms Tan is also right in stating that leaving table-clearing to cleaners is the wrong mindset to have. We still hear the occasional comment that clearing one's litter or tray would deprive cleaners of their jobs.

This is a misconception, and an excuse that a minority of diners use for not cleaning up after themselves.

Cleaners will still have other cleaning tasks to perform at the tray return points or centralised dishwashing stations.

In fact, leaving trays and soiled tissues behind makes their cleaning jobs more difficult. Thankfully, the majority of those who frequent hawker centres understand the important roles played by cleaners as essential workers in safeguarding public health, and do their part to keep Singapore clean.

The NEA has been deploying SG Clean Ambassadors to hawker centres since June 19 to advise patrons to return their trays and used crockery, and to properly dispose of their used tissues or wet wipes. Disappointingly, only about 60 per cent of diners comply when advised by our ambassadors.

The average tray return rate at new hawker centres with automated tray return and centralised dishwashing facilities, as well as a few existing hawker centres with manual tray return racks, is currently above 60 per cent, compared with around 30 per cent for most other hawker centres across the island.

The locations of the centres with good tray return rates are well spread out geographically.

This shows that more can be done to improve tray return rates, and all of us can play a part starting with the hawker centre that we patronise.

We urge everyone to work with the NEA to take greater ownership of our hawker centres, to help maintain the clean and hygienic environment of our community dining rooms.

Andrew Low
Director, Hawker Centres Division
National Environment Agency

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The Chinese love their pork and it makes them eat like pigs. It's a genetic thing and no amount of education or coaxing can change chink behavior.

The only way to make a chink obey the rules is to use knuckle dusters.

Anybody who decides to take me on needs to put on knuckle dusters. If you think you can hurt me more than I can hurt you, try. There is no other way you can govern a Chinese society."
- SM Lee Kuan Yew, The Man and His Ideas, 1997

knnccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
nabay cheebye the food at foot repubic not cheap hor, 1 plate chicken rice 5.50, 1 cup teh peng 2.50, 1 simple lanjiao meal like that cost $8, still want limpeh to provide free waitering amd cleaning services ah?? knn want to maximise profit and cut costs until like that jin beh pah toot leh, kill ppl put fire sibo?

knnccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies way of civil disobedience

last time moi used to practise civil obedience, guai guai return tray at kopi tiam foodct coz they put 1 sign at the tray return counter say can get 5% credit rebate when u tap the kopitiam card at the tray return counter. so moi each time unfailingly return the fucking tray even though is sibeh troublesome, coz u must stack all the plates and bowls neatly on the tray everytime....until 1 day moi went to topup the card check saw the value still remain the same, no smlj discount whatsoever, so thats it for moi, henceforth just fuck the tray one side and fuckoff

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple. A hawker centre is not a SAF cookhouse. Leave that military regimental shit behind the camp gates.

Besides, if Sinkieland were a less overcrowded shithole, this wouldn't even be a conversation. I would imagine one or two cleaners watching intently as you eat, ready to pounce once you've taken your last bite and are about to leave. :rolleyes:

knnb40

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the NEA over blown the issue. you can still promote cleaning ourself as there are believer and you still need cleaning worker no matter how best the customer behalf, especially at this point of Covid-19 time. Today you still see people j-walk, throw cigarette butt or rubbish on the floor, spit on the floor or drainage, bad driving practice.....there are no ways to illuminate. Continue education (especially to our young) continue social promotion, do it as a form or social and community activities and not put a result or appraiser target we would improved better...

kaninabuchaojibye

Alfrescian
Loyal
the problem i see is most people don't like to eat with the tray at bottom of their dishes
buy noodle buy chicken rice, take the noodle off the tray together with all the small tray for chili and bowl of soup
then cleaner come over, remove the tray
after finish eating, so many items from noodle bowl or plate, saucer, soup bowl, chopsticks, spoon..give up just leave it there.

ng ah sio rws got a new concept to make people don't remove dishes from tray.
their table all uneven. so you die die have to eat with the tray beneath.

knnccb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate it when over zealous cleaners clear the bowls at my table before everyone finishes...

knn last time at cuppage hawker centre limpeh just order 1 plate of charkwayteow put on the table, then went nearby buy drink, just turn around and saw the bangla clearing it away...knn at least use some common sense lah, full plate of uneaten food can also buang

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is another example of an overreaching totalitarian shithole govt.

'Ambassadors' were originally social distancing enforcers, but somehow along the way some NEA bureaucrat has decided to hijack that for its public sanitation agenda. :rolleyes:

A bloated govt is not only inefficient, it has to constantly stir shit or invent things to do to justify its own existence. Case in point: UNESCO 'hawker culture' bid. Your taxpayer money is paying for this nonsense. :roflmao: