• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Middle Income kena squeezed

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Properties will always have the advantage anywhere even though the yield might be declining, as the "physical asset" aspect of it still holds a place in investors' minds. Bonds, no doubt are considered "risk free" assets but it is only as good as the honour of the issuing party. To place all capital on buying bonds is not advisable as well, with $2m.. can buy a $1m suburbia real estate for rental yield (with potential for capital increase), then $500k for bonds in secondary market (medium term) and $500k for blue chip pref shares if u like. The fluctuations are lower and there is some diversification. This is considered low-risk, but of course all investment decisions lie with risk appetite.

Agree with bros here, the $2m is out of reach for most ppl...

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Basically middle income people are those that want to act atas,sophisticated and one class above the others,own car stay 5 room eat at ding tai fung drink Starbucks go ballet class get expensive tuition then complain when they have a tough time meeting expenses with their pay.fark off will ya?

nothing wrong if middle class do all the above.
high class --condon / bungalow
middle class -- 5 rm
high class- luxury car
middle class -- normal car
low class - mrt
high class - fine dining
middle class - din tai feng
low class - hawker center
so i do not see what's wrong with what you mention
if all middle class earning $6k a month take mrt,eat at hawker, rent a 1 room flat, go polyclinic and bring all his wealth into his coffin on his death bed, then i am worry.
the economics will not function well

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to know if you are stucked

1. You are working hard in a job that you don't like.
2. You spend less than 1-hr speaking to your wife/kids every day.
3. You don't appreciate that humanhood is a spiritual journey (see 10000 good deeds before retirement discussion)
4. Your main source of news is national tv channels or newspaper (even young kids are encouraged to do their own readings beyond textbooks these days)
5. You knowingly consume harmful convenient foods in the society, eg. fast food, deep-friends, aspartame (fake sugars), MSGs etc.
6. You feel safer if the society is stricter.
7. You are thankful that you receive greater approval-quantum for your car-loan, house-loan, credit-card limits, etc.
8. You feel that a quick death is better than putting up a fight against illness.

point 8:
who prefer a slow paintful death than a quick death? kee chiu

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
point 8:
who prefer a slow paintful death than a quick death? kee chiu

pardon my english, maybe i didn't phase it well.

On the contrary, many are praying for a quick death, rather than some illness that drags (not exactly slow + painful, just drags) because it will wipe out a substantial portion of their/children's savings.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Properties will always have the advantage anywhere even though the yield might be declining, as the "physical asset" aspect of it still holds a place in investors' minds. Bonds, no doubt are considered "risk free" assets but it is only as good as the honour of the issuing party. To place all capital on buying bonds is not advisable as well, with $2m.. can buy a $1m suburbia real estate for rental yield (with potential for capital increase), then $500k for bonds in secondary market (medium term) and $500k for blue chip pref shares if u like. The fluctuations are lower and there is some diversification. This is considered low-risk, but of course all investment decisions lie with risk appetite.

Agree with bros here, the $2m is out of reach for most ppl...

Nothing wrong with diversification bro. I reiterate that my examples are oversimplified.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nothing wrong if middle class do all the above.
high class --condon / bungalow
middle class -- 5 rm
high class- luxury car
middle class -- normal car
low class - mrt
high class - fine dining
middle class - din tai feng
low class - hawker center
so i do not see what's wrong with what you mention
if all middle class earning $6k a month take mrt,eat at hawker, rent a 1 room flat, go polyclinic and bring all his wealth into his coffin on his death bed, then i am worry.
the economics will not function well

so u think a economy can only function well when theres high property and goods inflation and everyone spend themselves into big debt?say $40k credit card debt per citizen?that way leads to hell like america.

capital is power and debt is slavery,dont be like americans.

Last edited:

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
so u think a economy can only function well when theres high property and goods inflation and everyone spend themselves into big debt?say $40k credit card debt per citizen?that way leads to hell like america.

capital is power and debt is slavery,dont be like americans.

Outstanding.

well said, that is true modern slavery. They are only concerned that you refused to sign on the line for your house, car or credit card.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today if you have $2.5m, you pay appx $600psf for a 999-years cluster landed house.

Ok for middle class:
either you pay $1200psf for a 99-years condo OR
$800psf for a 99-years EC OR
$600psf for a resale HDB at respectable location.

hahaa, so how now? we should all work harder for the 2.5m target?

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today if you have $2.5m, you pay appx $600psf for a 999-years cluster landed house.

Ok for middle class:
either you pay $1200psf for a 99-years condo OR
$800psf for a 99-years EC OR
$600psf for a resale HDB at respectable location.

hahaa, so how now? we should all work harder for the 2.5m target?

If you have the $ I think it is smarter to invest it for your old age. What's the point of paying so much for landed:confused:

When you are older you are also likely to have mobility problems so you don't want to stay in a multi-level residence.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have the $ I think it is smarter to invest it for your old age. What's the point of paying so much for landed:confused:

When you are older you are also likely to have mobility problems so you don't want to stay in a multi-level residence.

Some rich people like landed because MLM tells them negative-ions from greeneries are good, some want their younger generation to stay together, of course, building a lift for landed is less than 100K, cheaper than a CAT A car.

hahaha, I guess everybody's preference to do with money is different, even if they are of the same age.

:p paiseh, these are just my biased opinions.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
the best to invest is if you have $$ is your health.
make sure your health is in tip toe condition.
luxury and fame can wait
eat everything organic.
put 10 air purities in your house
use natural crystal to tile your entire floor and walls
use evian mineral water to cook and drink
use organic herbs to bath
grow 10 soursop trees in your garden.if dont have can steal from botantic garden

5 myths about being a vegan
myth1) your shit smell better than meat eater
myth 2) you live longer than met eater
myth 3) your sex performance rock through the ceiling
myth 4 ) mosquitoes tend not to bite you
myth 5 ) you are holy angel

Last edited:

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
the best to invest is if you have $$ is your health.
make sure your health is in tip toe condition.
luxury and fame can wait
eat everything organic.
put 10 air purities in your house
use natural crystal to tile your entire floor and walls
use evian mineral water to cook and drink
use organic herbs to bath
grow 10 soursop trees in your garden.if dont have can steal from botantic garden

5 myths about being a vegan
myth1) your shit smell better than meat eater
myth 2) you live longer than met eater
myth 3) your sex performance rock through the ceiling
myth 4 ) mosquitoes tend not to bite you
myth 5 ) you are holy angel

ya, very cruel that prolonged medical illness can ruin a family financially.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our society is designed to encourage our middle-class to work as old as possible. I don't think all will end up as some senior-advisors, directors or chairman of the organization that they are with. Chances are, most will be demoted if they continue to work beyond 65.

In Korea, conglomerates like Samsung, LG, SK actively encourage the earlier retirement of their staff. Eg. if you are a mid-tier professional in these companies, the companies will pay them a respectable sum to make way for the young, when they are in late 40s or early 50s. It is not retrenchment and it is something understood in the Korean conglomerates. A Korean explained to me that this system allowed these conglomerates to give higher Entry-pay for fresh grads and keeps staff motivated of career progression during their prime. The retired staff enjoyed the same privileges when they were in their 30s.

Today, Samsung's electronics division(alone) enjoys a turnover, that is larger than the top 6 Japanese electronics company.

Therefore, i am not so sure about the long-term benefits of retaining older workforce in terms of business competitiveness.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
since car price is severely inflated above their import/paper value to control car population; i salute policymakers if they make it illegal to offer any form of financing for car-ownership. Owning a car is like smoking a cigarette with near-zero value at the end of the day, doing so, will at least prevent our car-owners from being indebted because of our nation's self-imposed policies (eg. COE).

CAT A COE nose-dived $11000
CAT B down $5000

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Misled to even think cat 50 in GL upped price. :oHell, that's microsoft's (and erection's) line!:p

Basically there's hardly inflation in local prostitution industry in the past 5-10 years due to market liberalization. In fact, chinatown fl auntie prices even collapsed to 30 lately.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Basically there's hardly inflation in local prostitution industry in the past 5-10 years due to market liberalization. In fact, chinatown fl auntie prices even collapsed to 30 lately.
Not all representative. At OT, fls doing 150-200 a pop (upper end for drunk angmohs) in 2008/9. Pinays at basement bars 100-150. Now, think it's 200-300 for the former, and 200 for latter. At Brix (basement Hyatt), with same shit in diff packaging ..buz suits pay way more