• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Bride confronts friend for not giving red packet at her wedding

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But to confront like that also not nice. You invite because you value the friendship not for money.

Nowadays alot of shameless people. Want to eat banquet but too cheapskate to give red packet. If no money then might as well decline the invitation politely.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not giving is a bit sad unless its really no choice. I remembered, all these years i went and gave $200-300. Good friend who left the company with me, $300 plus i found him jobs, testimony etc. All the times for ang pao, i never even wrote my name down until my wife chided me and said misunderstandings may arise.

Then it was when i started to write. Even a recent one where i didn't go, just a colleague at the office, i still gave $100. Just helping out a little as i know how hard life is.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
But to confront like that also not nice. You invite because you value the friendship not for money.

Actually a lot of times i get invited by people i don't even know so its really weird. Some invite me only 2-3 days before the wedding plus all these years, after getting recommendation/jobs/testimonials, i never heard back from them. Maybe my friendship is not worth their time.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
will add this to sinkie behavior list

Hi Tony, actually not all Singaporeans are like that. I paid all the tab whenever we went out with friends, i even drove some of them back and went all over the island in the wee hours of the morning. In the end, some of them still played me out even though i drove some of them back (on the way so chin chai) and one of them even backstabbed me when i helped him get a better job and transferred over to my department. Same guy acted blur when my kids full moon celebration came when we went for his.

Now the same words he said behind me last time was used against him by other staff from outside the department. I guess its a case of, sometimes you treat people as friends but they never treated you as one in the first place. Just tell myself, mistaken identity, i thought that was a friend.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Btw what's the ang pow gong rate at 5 star hotel these days? I give $120.

hi there

1. bro, allow me to fill you in on this.
2. i shall attend a wedding reception at a 5-star hotel along orchard road later this month.
3. yes, i was part of the groom's party choosing the venue & menu.
4. minimum cost per table for a 8-course sit-down chin dinner: s$1,400.00
5. except beer!
6. now, do your calculation!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
One useless bugger in my office still dare to say he give same amount for red packet regardless of venue - cheapo seafood restaurant or 5 star hotel. Probably $80 - $100.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hi there

1. bro, allow me to fill you in on this.
2. i shall attend a wedding reception at a 5-star hotel along orchard road later this month.
3. yes, i was part of the groom's party choosing the venue & menu.
4. minimum cost per table for a 8-course sit-down chin dinner: s$1,400.00
5. except beer!
6. now, do your calculation!

But brother, let me put it this way. Lan jiao not big, then don't use a urinal, better hide and pee in the cubicle mah.

No one force them to hold the wedding in the 5 stars hotel. They themselves wanted it and why should they pass the burden to the guest? If can afford themselves, hold it. If not, then hold it at Orchid country club :biggrin:

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
but to confront? Com'on, just know the person's pattern okay already. Sometimes, I give angbao but forget to write name also have.

It is clear that a 'friend' who did not even give red packet is not a true friend. Poor people even have the dignity to give a small token sum.

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hold at void deck also can mah. Grand Wedding only if you can afford to give your guest the comfort. No need to haolian one. It is a marriage not a one-off event show.

Have friends whose marriage last decades although no money to have wedding dinner then but also have friends who had wedding at Ritz Carlton but marriage last only 3 years. No need to do for other people to see.

But brother, let me put it this way. Lan jiao not big, then don't use a urinal, better hide and pee in the cubicle mah.

No one force them to hold the wedding in the 5 stars hotel. They themselves wanted it and why should they pass the burden to the guest? If can afford themselves, hold it. If not, then hold it at Orchid country club :biggrin:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. raid, i share the same sentiments.
2. however, nowadays young couples spend future monies first mah!
3. honest, some are even using parents' hard-earned money for such thing.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Actually, those that puts up these demands are sinkie Chinese girls. Their expectations:

1. Tiffany diamond ring for engagement
2. Cartier wedding bands for both
3. Photo shoot at least must be done in Taiwan
4. Wedding must be held at 5 stars hotel
5. Wedding gown must be designer brand, must buy, cannot rent

Someone please add on :o

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judging from general responses here, can tell the majority here are big businessmen who know social norms and have big hearts. Lol

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hold at void deck also can mah. Grand Wedding only if you can afford to give your guest the comfort. No need to haolian one. It is a marriage not a one-off event show.

Have friends whose marriage last decades although no money to have wedding dinner then but also have friends who had wedding at Ritz Carlton but marriage last only 3 years. No need to do for other people to see.

Absolutely agree, the wedding dinner is held for others to see, thats why way back then, even though combined income of myself and wife was more than 8k, we still refused to have one. Opting to fly out to bring her to see the world. My wife and father in law stood by me and my dad couldn't care less.

Even had to endure jibes from relatives who boasted about their son's huge 1800 SGD income and grand wedding at some restaurant to us. In the end, heard they got into some serious debts and had to borrow from others and almost got divorced.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Actually, those that puts up these demands are sinkie Chinese girls. Their expectations:

hi there

1. yes, bro!
2. taking about wedding shots in taiwan thing.
3. i know of one couple doing the same thing.
4. the overall cost is s$10k just for the shot in taiwan.
5. honest, no eye see!

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
hi there

1. yes, bro!
2. taking about wedding shots in taiwan thing.
3. i know of one couple doing the same thing.
4. the overall cost is s$10k just for the shot in taiwan.
5. honest, no eye see!

10k even in today context can really do alot of things. Oh yeah, I figure to add:

6. House must be BTO, preferably 5 room flats.
7. 5 years later, must buy condo as well.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

This type of wedding, most likely bride will run off at the first sign of financial trouble as a good wife who loves her husband should care about his finances rather then her indulgences. Unless he is really doing well, otherwise doing this will get him into trouble. Getting him into trouble before marital bliss is a bad start to any marriage.

Sweating like my friends did on the morning after the wedding dinner with the hotel guys ringing doorbell and frantic calls to friends like me to lend them money? Not my cup of tea though in the end, i just loaned him the outstanding difference to cover it. Took him 6 months to repay me and honourably, he did. Sad thing was after that he still didn't keep in touch.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This type of wedding, most likely bride will run off at the first sign of financial trouble as a good wife who loves her husband should care about his finances rather then her indulgences. Unless he is really doing well, otherwise doing this will get him into trouble. Getting him into trouble before marital bliss is a bad start to any marriage.

This one I agree brother. Good wives makes good girlfriends but good girlfriends does not necessarily makes good wife. I have seen friends with 2k+ net salary buying cars because they wanted to chauffeur their girlfriends or wives.