• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Archbishop Nicholas Chia withdraws letter to abolish ISA

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Is the law for the protection of the Common People, or people common to a particular party or their affliates, that is the bottom line. If it is for the protection of the common people for a common good, then, do we still need it, is it still relevant?

Obviously, it is not for the protection of the common people, it never was and never used that way, even under the British.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
By all means, throw out the PAP, but some good laws are meant to protect. They have only become bad because the PAP is rogue enough to use it indiscriminately. So the more reason to throw out PAP without throwing out the ISA.

If a minority PAP in future wants to destabilise the govt thru using the army against a legitimately elected Opp govt, it can use the ISA against them. I am sure we all will support.

I totally agree that the the PAP is embeded in our system to such a degree that its ridiculous when u think of it. All the things u mention, get rid of the PA, redraw the electoral boundaries, etc. are all pipe dreams. As long as the PAP is in power, why would they want to do that?

The sooner that you and everyone else accept the fact that the PAP will never leave peacefully, than you will realise the only way to get rid of these assholes will be to take to the streets. The degree of blood that will be spilled is entirely dependent on how much the PAP will resist. If the Lee/Kwas and their cronies take their money and quietly flee, than maybe not too much bloodshed. If the citizen army says we will not shoot our friends, relatives and neighbours on the streets, than the bloodshed will be minimal. It all depends.

Last edited:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
By all means, throw out the PAP, but some good laws are meant to protect. They have only become bad because the PAP is rogue enough to use it indiscriminately. So the more reason to throw out PAP without throwing out the ISA.

Which part of the ISA will you like to keep? There are sedition laws and fire arm laws that are more than sufficient to counter terrorist activities. All should also realise that ISA is not investigative but used only after investigation. What this means is that investigations can be lengthy and exhaustive prior to the ISA being used. However, lengthy and exhaustive investigations have taken place under other laws against terrorism and sedition.

The ISA is not an investigative tool. It is used as punishment mechanism. Hence the ISA as a punishment tool is redundant as there are other laws that are already in place to cater to such laws against anti-terrorism and sedition. With today's technology, once an individual is under investigation, his every move, telephone call or internet connections can be accessed. So why the need for the ISA? Investigations and other surveilance tools can be put into place even without the ISA becase the ISA is not part of investigation or surveillance.

Investigation and surveillance is what is required to catch a terrorist not the ISA. The ISA is supposed to incarcerate such individuals. Therefore, if the ISA was removed, investigations and surveillance will continue unabated as it has from the time Singapore was still a colony. Investigations against a suspected terrorist today will be able to track almost everything that the suspect does. No need ISA lah. For fuck sake lah, give your brain and mother lau chee byw some respect for giving birth to you?

Stop being a fuck hole for the sake of being a hole. I am certain that your mother's fuckhole that gave birth to you deserves more respect than what you give to your mother's fuckhole. Don't need ISA. There are already other laws and powerful investigative channels to counter terrorism.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The trouble is people confuse the law and the abusers.
The Old man liked to tell you that it is a law the British left behind, that in fact shoves the whole focus on the law when in fact it was LKY who abused it. The Brits might have enacted it but look at UK. Did any of their PMs or ex-PMs ever use it the way the Old man had? So we mustnt lose our way. Otherwise, you will be in a bigger fuckhole than you came out from.

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the ISA still relevant? I believe so. But I feel it seriously needs to be tweaked.. amended even..
Till when my mother doesn't tell me "don't say things against govt in public, or else you will be taken away".. then I can say Singapore has become a real home for me.

bro.. i think u r mistaken la.. ISA not relevant la. it's used to persecute ppl who go against the garmen de..
my parents tell me.. last time when ppl go on strike.. ISA come n take them away.. den inside wherever, kena whack la, torture la..
and all they did was just to strike for better worker benefits nia.. this was like 40 over yrs back.
the memory still fresh in my parents minds too leh.

No la.. ISA not relevant le la.. used for other means.. other den to protect SG from threats..

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello if u r talking terrorists like Al Queda or JI u need all the ammo u can get. I want to be able to fight with these guys with both hands and double barrel shotgun..etc. The ISA is made for situations like this and not for the likes of Dr Chee and company. U and I and all reservists may be called to battle one day and I don't think we want to be hampered in any way.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore ISD is not used to counter terrorism .. It's more to stop ppl from overthrown the goverment .

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. And it will be a litmus test for the Intelligence agencies if they are professionals or bootlickers. I do know that the Intelligence Services hate PA, the grassroots organisations and the PAP porlumpars to the core. Payback will be interesting.

Possible that many left for higher positions/higher pay such as Chua sisters.

jw5

Loyal
This thread is turning into a very good discussion from the first post onwards. Perhaps can consider sending it to Pinky for the next SG conversation?
But no need to use vulgarity and abusive insults, because Pinky will not be happy. :rolleyes:

There is always the possibilty that the ISA in its current form may be used by "some people" to prevent their power from being taken away from them. :rolleyes:

One option is to establish an "Anti Terrorism Act", to be used only when security to the country and ordinary people are threatened and abolish the ISA in its current form.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will reveal something here but I suspect that many are aware of this. You cannot lead any sizeable religious order without the authorities allowing it. Any potential firebrand is removed before he or she can reach 3rd level before becoming the leader. They know the makeup of the guy and thus will know that he will fold. This is what the intelligence services are really good at.

Non-religious entities, as long as sizeable and perceive to be able to 'stress' the government are not spared too.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
cant understand why NC even drafted the first ltr let alone send it off to F8 when the consequences n ramifications were obvious even to a 12 yr old kid...a head on collision wif the pap govt was inevitable regardless of whether isd/pap govt intervened before the F8 june rally...so if NC was not 100% sure of standing firm(wif or wifout vatican support) then why r why did he embark on this moment of folly in the first place??....

btw i shook my head in dismay when i listened to today's sunday gospel...i wonder whether NC n Nuncio can sleep peacefully tonight?....

Weekend of 23 September 2012

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time | Year B
Mark 9:30-37

After leaving the mountain Jesus and his disciples made their way through Galilee; and he did not want anyone to know, because he was instructing his disciples; he was telling them, ‘The Son of Man will be delivered into the hands of men; they will put him to death; and three days after he has been put to death he will rise again.’ But they did not understand what he said and were afraid to ask him.

They came to Capernaum, and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the road?’ They said nothing because they had been arguing which of them was the greatest. So he sat down, called the Twelve to him and said, ‘If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all.’ He then took a little child, set him in front of them, put his arms around him, and said to them, ‘Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’

oh yeah forgot pap stooge Gerrard Ee...like father like son...i hope he does not presume to talk for all s'porean rcs...

Keep religion and politics separate

Published on Sep 22, 2012

ARCHBISHOP Nicholas Chia has shown leadership as the head of the Catholic Church ("Group seeking to use church for political aims: Govt"; yesterday).

Catholics must rally round to support him and not let organisations or individuals show a lack of propriety towards him.

The Archbishop has every right to decide on his actions.

I am encouraged by his affirmation that religion and politics should be, and will be, kept separate.

As a Catholic, I will always accept the Archbishop's decree on the Church's teachings, even if I may not be comfortable with it.

But no religious leader can claim to represent the political views of his flock.

We all have diverse views and support different political groups; it does not matter what political orientation the Archbishop or any religious leader has.

It is only wrong when they take it to the pulpit or claim that it represents the political views of their followers.

As a Catholic, my view of my beloved Church is that we must close ranks, and not let the Church be hijacked for political motives.

Gerard Ee Hock Kim

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anti Terrorism Act would be ideal where countries reach a level of maturity such as first world countries where the citizens will not brook any suggestion or idea of anything that is not democratic in form. The average ang mo will speak his mind and will challenge any form of authoritarianism. The average Asian is a follower. That is why communism took such a foothold in Asia and Africa and not in Europe when the Soviet Union was propagating it. Idealism and Religion will not get a powerful position in a first world country. Subversion usually comes in the form of ideology and religion. They are excellent vehicles to mass lead ignorant and less educated people to disaster,

ISA also acts a powerful deterrent against foreign subversion.

What this country needs is an oversight agency or committee that is peopled with highly respected individuals to avoid abuse. And I am not talking about Gerard Ee.

What the country also requires is a Freedom of Information Act where all confidential and secret information is open to public scrutiny after a period of time so that there is some level of accountability occurs and the abuse is not perpetuated or forgotten for the sake that a family dynasty is protected.

This thread is turning into a very good discussion from the first post onwards. Perhaps can consider sending it to Pinky for the next SG conversation?
But no need to use vulgarity and abusive insults, because Pinky will not be happy. :rolleyes:

There is always the possibilty that the ISA in its current form may be used by "some people" to prevent their power from being taken away from them. :rolleyes:

One option is to establish an "Anti Terrorism Act", to be used only when security to the country and ordinary people are threatened and abolish the ISA in its current form.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your argument is similar to banning all knives in the kitchen just because a burglar has used one to injure the resident. You are also saying that since the cleaver was used, we should ban the cleaver, but allow the breadknife, the paring knife and the butter knife to stay. Would not another burglar be able to use a breadknife next time?

People also like to ban atomic energy because dictators can use it to make atomic bombs to nuke others. But technology, like knives, are neutral. It's the evilness in the human being that is at the root of the problem.

Which part of the ISA will you like to keep? There are sedition laws and fire arm laws that are more than sufficient to counter terrorist activities. All should also realise that ISA is not investigative but used only after investigation. What this means is that investigations can be lengthy and exhaustive prior to the ISA being used. However, lengthy and exhaustive investigations have taken place under other laws against terrorism and sedition.

The ISA is not an investigative tool. It is used as punishment mechanism. Hence the ISA as a punishment tool is redundant as there are other laws that are already in place to cater to such laws against anti-terrorism and sedition. With today's technology, once an individual is under investigation, his every move, telephone call or internet connections can be accessed. So why the need for the ISA? Investigations and other surveilance tools can be put into place even without the ISA becase the ISA is not part of investigation or surveillance.

Investigation and surveillance is what is required to catch a terrorist not the ISA. The ISA is supposed to incarcerate such individuals. Therefore, if the ISA was removed, investigations and surveillance will continue unabated as it has from the time Singapore was still a colony. Investigations against a suspected terrorist today will be able to track almost everything that the suspect does. No need ISA lah. For fuck sake lah, give your brain and mother lau chee byw some respect for giving birth to you?

Stop being a fuck hole for the sake of being a hole. I am certain that your mother's fuckhole that gave birth to you deserves more respect than what you give to your mother's fuckhole. Don't need ISA. There are already other laws and powerful investigative channels to counter terrorism.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What we discussing here....abolish ISA, freedom of information etc....only building castles in the air.....nothing will change as long as PAP is in power.
Most powerful tool we sinkies have is our vote....kick out those white scums for a better tomorrow.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good govt uses good laws to act against rogues. But only a rogue govt uses good laws to act against good people, which makes the laws look bad.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike Yong, Chia struck me as not very cerebral. I suspect that he was trying to bring closure for his flock over the Marxist Conspiracy affair. It is unfinished business. To date only one high profile has actually provided emotional support to these people and it came from a Hindu in the form of Tharman. People like Gerard Ee still has his thumb firmly in place where he last left it.

Chia probably did not realise that ISA rally was about ISA and not the occasion to address what has happened.

cant understand why NC even drafted the first ltr let alone send it off to F8 when the consequences n ramifications were obvious even to a 12 yr old kid...a head on collision wif the pap govt was inevitable regardless of whether isd/pap govt intervened before the F8 june rally...so if NC was not 100% sure of standing firm(wif or wifout vatican support) then why r why did he embark on this moment of folly in the first place??....

btw i shook my head in dismay when i listened to today's sunday gospel...i wonder whether NC n Nuncio can sleep peacefully tonight?....

After leaving the mountain Jesus and his disciples made their way through Galilee; and he did not want anyone to know, because he was instructing his disciples; he was telling them, ‘The Son of Man will be delivered into the hands of men; they will put him to death; and three days after he has been put to death he will rise again.’ But they did not understand what he said and were afraid to ask him.

They came to Capernaum, and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the road?’ They said nothing because they had been arguing which of them was the greatest. So he sat down, called the Twelve to him and said, ‘If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all.’ He then took a little child, set him in front of them, put his arms around him, and said to them, ‘Anyone who welcomes one of these little children in my name, welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’

oh yeah forgot pap stooge Gerrard Ee...like father like son...i hope he does not presume to talk for all s'porean rcs...

ARCHBISHOP Nicholas Chia has shown leadership as the head of the Catholic Church ("Group seeking to use church for political aims: Govt"; yesterday).

Catholics must rally round to support him and not let organisations or individuals show a lack of propriety towards him.

I am encouraged by his affirmation that religion and politics should be, and will be, kept separate.

As a Catholic, I will always accept the Archbishop's decree on the Church's teachings, even if I may not be comfortable with it.

But no religious leader can claim to represent the political views of his flock.

We all have diverse views and support different political groups; it does not matter what political orientation the Archbishop or any religious leader has.

It is only wrong when they take it to the pulpit or claim that it represents the political views of their followers.

As a Catholic, my view of my beloved Church is that we must close ranks, and not let the Church be hijacked for political motives.

Gerard Ee Hock Kim

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike Yong, Chia struck me as not very cerebral. I suspect that he was trying to bring closure for his flock over the Marxist Conspiracy affair. It is unfinished business. To date only one high profile has actually provided emotional support to these people and it came from a Hindu in the form of Tharman. People like Gerard Ee still has his thumb firmly in place where he last left it.

Chia probably did not realise that ISA rally was about ISA and not the occasion to address what has happened.

Gerard Ee Hock Kim