• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

singaporeans too soft

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
All Singaporeans are lame. I still cannot understand why they need an ASP, whole team of plaincothes officers, uniform officers, all the time talking on their radio to who I have no clue. Then the slow talk begins, and the police guy seems like he is going to wet his pants.
its because no one dare to take responsiblity and everyone is waiting for someone to give instructions.

that is something i dun understand as well.

if someone were to say something, others put them down. but i guess its a matter of saying something at the right time for the right matter that counts.

to say singaporean in general is lame is very much due to earlier education of comfucious ethics that doesnt allow speaking up.

to me, the constant intro of neo-confucious is the reason for what is happening to our society now, a nation of sheeps.

My cock is not lame lah jacys come suck it!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the impression that those SPF actually doing the 'dirty' work are scared of something happenning while they carry out their 'dirty' tasks. Likewise CSJ/SDP are probably hoping that the 'unknown unknown' or 'known unknown' incident would actually happen to promote their cause to another level, eg. getting a big black eye or an even more serious physical injury.

jw5

Loyal
I once saw an absolutely rude old ang mo treating an SIA stewardess badly. As it continued, I stood up and told him to behave himself in front of a lady. i could see that the other business class passengers too got fed but it was the other ang mos that also got up and told him to shut up. The rest of the Singaporeans just sat there pretending to read magazine or watch video.

I was subsequently thanked by the Cabin Manager who told me that foreigners are the ones that always helped.
Singaporeans can get very tough when it involves their own money and their own well being.
The problem is that they are very apathetic when it comes to matters which don't involve them personally or which they perceive not to involve them personally.
The sense of justice or right vs wrong is very very weak in most Singaporeans. Unfortunately, they don't realize that some things they perceive as not involving them personally, actually does affect them adversely in the longer term.

locky2ky

Alfrescian
Loyal
All Singaporeans are lame. I still cannot understand why they need an ASP, whole team of plaincothes officers, uniform officers, all the time talking on their radio to who I have no clue. Then the slow talk begins, and the police guy seems like he is going to wet his pants.
its because no one dare to take responsiblity and everyone is waiting for someone to give instructions.

that is something i dun understand as well.

if someone were to say something, others put them down. but i guess its a matter of saying something at the right time for the right matter that counts.

to say singaporean in general is lame is very much due to earlier education of comfucious ethics that doesnt allow speaking up.

to me, the constant intro of neo-confucious is the reason for what is happening to our society now, a nation of sheeps.

i think it is not so much of neo-confucianism but 40 years of mind engineering by the pap!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I get the impression that those SPF actually doing the 'dirty' work are scared of something happenning while they carry out their 'dirty' tasks. Likewise CSJ/SDP are probably hoping that the 'unknown unknown' or 'known unknown' incident would actually happen to promote their cause to another level, eg. getting a big black eye or an even more serious physical injury.

Yes, they are clearly apprehensive. The way they behave, they look to me as though Chee and company on their timid request would jump into the van with a smile.

Many years ago, one of the caucasian parent of the Michael Fay gang made a ruckus at Holland Village. The Police came, could not handle it and after a while withdrew. The guy was drunk. If it was a local drunk, they would have bodily threw him into the car and drove off. That is standard for you.

Anywhere in the developed world, in public if you resist arrest, the police will use necessary force. That is common sense. That is transparent as everyone can see it. Only Singaporeans in carrying out their duty will look peeing in their pants. Should see the OZ police during the APEX meeing in Sydney. Cross the line and only god can save you.

Bunch of balless pricks who in the privacy of whitley holding centre will remove the eyeglasses of a female and than display their brave front.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans can get very tough when it involves their own money and their own well being.
The problem is that they are very apathetic when it comes to matters which don't involve them personally or which they perceive not to involve them personally.
The sense of justice or right vs wrong is very very weak in most Singaporeans. Unfortunately, they don't realize that some things they perceive as not involving them personally, actually does affect them adversely in the longer term.

I am not sure. As I mentioned with smu students, they are very coy. They do very well in written papers but not in a group environment. Even our OMS scholars keep to themselves.

I blame this partly on our press for creating the impression that we are not confrontational, not assertive and in a generation, everyone follows. I was told that when Hotel New World collapsed, the first press conference was held by the Deputy Secretary, MHA at the lobby of Serangoon Plaza. From the moment go, a lady from a nearby coffeeshop blasted the DS non=-stop for the slow response of the emergency people, the blur look in the first hour or so while those trapped were calling out. This lady literally screwed the shit out of the officials there. Despite it being a press conference, no press carried it as I recall.

Naturally, monkey see, monkey do. See our security guards. Moment there is a fight, they will immediately commence patrol on the opposite side of the building. Remember we created a cult hero our of those that keng during NS.

I wonder why we keep going to JB and Malaysia, when we continue to get robbed of cash, vaulables, vehicles, etc It must show in our face as easy prey.

Mighty Megatron

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those in NS just want to pass by without any trouble those career policemen just want to ensure ricebowl not broken. Judgement call is not their speciality.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it is not so much of neo-confucianism but 40 years of mind engineering by the pap!
You could be right. A month ago, I was at International Business Park and 2 tertiary students approached me and asked for the direction to Acer Building. I pointed out the building and told them to walk across a small mound to reach it. Instead they turned right to get on a footpath that basically meandered and if followed would have been 3 times the distance. I called them back. I told them just walk across the mound as some mindless idiot designed the foot path. I could see they reluctantly obliged me and crossed over the mound and to their delight, realised that it was the obvious option, smiled at each other and one of them smiled and waved at me.

We are good at following instructions but fear the unknown even for a miserable footpath.

Ever see local ang mo taking a path that locals will not take. And it is usually the obvious shortcut. And I am not talking about damaging grass.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone recall the christian cult that was protesting circa 1987 in front of Far East Plaza. When the decision was made to arrest the protestors both and female, it was more like school tug-a-war. It can to stage where passerbys ended up pulling one side while the Police tugged on the side of the protestors. Then they abandoned.

You were there too? That episode was a circus of errors. The first police car to arrive at scene reported to Tanglin ops room that there were about 50 protesters. Someone decided to call the PTF (now known as SOC). Two "red buses" of young fit paramilitary trained riot policemen were despatched to the scene at about 3 p.m. But they couldn't do anything, cause the protesters were non-violent and more importantly all women with some children. So they hung around and chit chat, awaiting further orders. Quite an amusing spectacle.

At about 5 p.m., reinforcements arrived in the form of less menace-looking police vans ferrying women officers, from Tanglin station and loaned from other neighboring stations, mostly Beach Road and Pearl's Hill. Incredibly, most of them came in skirts and heels (station uniform) instead of pants and boots (patrol uniform). That reflected the state of readiness the motley crew assembled at short notice.

At about 6 p.m., the order to disperse or face arrest was issued and our lady squad went into action. This was the fun part of the circus. Instead of rounding the protesters up by surround-and-arrest, they went in two at a time to drag out protestors one by one. We could see some real civil disobedience there. No violent retaliation, just simple noncompliance. Our police ladies in skirts and heels were struggling to keep their poise and grace whilst dragging aunties one by one across the cordoned junction into police vans. Some of the protesters, particularly those with children, did back off and dispersed. The number arrested was about 20+. If I recall correctly, all of them were sent to ISD Whitley.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Confucian philosophy encourages people to speak up and question authority. Confucian disapproved of those who did not point out flaws to the rulers.

It is the blatant distortion of confucian teachings by PAP govt through the sycophantic press that has resulted in what we see today - a meek, calculative and tame population.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You were there too? That episode was a circus of errors.

It has been the same pattern. During the CPF protest by Yap and company, they came rushing with riot geat and then ended up slow talk. Saw the ASP sweating more profusely than Yap and got the impression that it was he who was asking for mercy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Confucian philosophy encourages people to speak up and question authority. Confucian disapproved of those who did not point out flaws to the rulers.

It is the blatant distortion of confucian teachings by PAP govt through the sycophantic press that has resulted in what we see today - a meek, calculative and tame population.

Bro, agree with you. For the PAP confucianism means blind compliance and subservience. The best part was harping on filial piety as the state had no intention of looking after the poor, elderly and the incapable.

The press should be ashame of itself.

The fact that the PAP has ruled for 50 straight years while the rest of the developed world had so many changes of government to allow a broad range of talent/views to participate and continue to progress and we send our scholars there seems really bizarre.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It has been the same pattern. During the CPF protest by Yap and company, they came rushing with riot geat and then ended up slow talk. Saw the ASP sweating more profusely than Yap and got the impression that it was he who was asking for mercy.

ASP (NS) Chee S.J. knows that perfectly well. That's why he keeps pulling such stunts. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Noticed that they learnt their lessons in the Tak Boleh Tahan arrests. Woman officers deployed in drill attire, T-shirts and pants. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Noticed that they learnt their lessons in the Tak Boleh Tahan arrests. Woman officers deployed in drill attire, T-shirts and pants. :biggrin:

Aiyah, they should sub-contract this to Certis-Cisco and pay them per person in the van. Most of them are Malaysians anyway, they will do it quickly so that they can get to their terrace houses in JB before the usual jam. On the way, tapau beancurd and 2 roti prata.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
other asians might be more aggressive than snikies, but when meet white man, immediately cower and bow. this is the way it has always been and the way it will be in the future.

It's a cultural thing. Ang mos are brought up to be assertive individuals. Asians, and especially Singaporeans, are expected to be less vocal and more obedient. But if you are able to relate to the ang mos at your own terms and be just as assertive (not aggressive) and show that you can hold your own, they will respect you and will not ride roughshod over you. Many angmos who have not had much expsure in Asia have a skewed impression about Asians, mainly because of Hollywood's portrayal of beautiful Asian women dying to spread their legs for the ang mo hero, as the submissive race who place the white men on the pedestal. Differences in economic and social development bewteen west and east also contribute to this perception of Asian inferiority.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The current angmorica is one who is heavily in debt, creates troubles for the rest of the world without any apology and believes that the rest of the world owes them a living by buying their debt.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a cultural thing. Ang mos are brought up to be assertive individuals. Asians, and especially Singaporeans, are expected to be less vocal and more obedient. But if you are able to relate to the ang mos at your own terms and be just as assertive (not aggressive) and show that you can hold your own, they will respect you and will not ride roughshod over you. Many angmos who have not had much expsure in Asia have a skewed impression about Asians, mainly because of Hollywood's portrayal of beautiful Asian women dying to spread their legs for the ang mo hero, as the submissive race who place the white men on the pedestal. Differences in economic and social development bewteen west and east also contribute to this perception of Asian inferiority.

Its not just the Ang Mos, look at Singaporeans vs FT Indians and Chinese and other Asian countries. We are really getting soft. Its does not make sense as we do NS.

We are also very calculative. The latest trend for A level high scorers is to do some social work in the last 2 years of their educatiuon and then bring it up during the OMS/PSC interviewes. This has caught the PSC interview board by surprise. The feeling is that there is no altruistic purpose behind it.

Ask the same lot to form a political society to develop interest and broaden ones outlook, they all cringe.

The high watermark of Singaporeans show of assertiveness is calling up his bank and demanding that membershio fee for his card be waived for another year.