• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

singaporeans too soft

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The high watermark of Singaporeans show of assertiveness is calling up his bank and demanding that membershio fee for his card be waived for another year.

bro,

clearly and surely, pragmatism is too deeply rooted.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, they should sub-contract this to Certis-Cisco and pay them per person in the van. Most of them are Malaysians anyway, they will do it quickly so that they can get to their terrace houses in JB before the usual jam. On the way, tapau beancurd and 2 roti prata.

You won't be complaining about softie police if you'd seen how me and my buddies arrest people in our time. Me and my buddies were "the last of the mohicans." We were caught in the vacuum of a time warp, outstayed our welcome in the force and faded away quietly.

The days of Oh Kim Kee and Lim Ban Lim roaming the streets, armed and dangerous, are over. The police force needs to change and upgrade with the times. So they said. In fact, there was a proposal in the early 90s to change it's name from Singapore Police Force to Singapore Police Service. Blessed be the one, whoever that was, who managed to stop it. Some of those proposals did go through though, e.g. a police station became a police center, a police heaquarter became a police complex.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You won't be complaining about softie police if you'd seen how me and my buddies arrest people in our time. Me and my buddies were "the last of the mohicans." We were caught in the vacuum of a time warp, outstayed our welcome in the force and faded away quietly.

The days of Oh Kim Kee and Lim Ban Lim roaming the streets, armed and dangerous, are over. The police force needs to change and upgrade with the times. So they said. In fact, there was a proposal in the early 90s to change it's name from Singapore Police Force to Singapore Police Service. Blessed be the one, whoever that was, who managed to stop it.

Wholeheartedly agree. You cannot fight SS, criminals using these methods.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wholeheartedly agree. You cannot fight SS, criminals using these methods.

I do see your point. It's not a matter of degree of force or violence used in an arrest. It's the process of the arrest. Once a decision or oder to arrest is made, it should be carried out steadily and professionally.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do see your point. It's not a matter of degree of force or violence used in an arrest. It's the process of the arrest. Once a decision or oder to arrest is made, it should be carried out steadily and professionally.

Absolutely. Its the professionalism that counts and it applies to every aspect of our lives.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Call Lionel De souza:biggrin::p

No, not Lionel. He would have punched Chee, knocking out a couple of teeth, grabbed seelan by the hair and then fixed Ms Chee with attempted murder by planting a knife on her. Buy the way, I am not kidding. When Lionel dies, you should go to Mandai, the number of people wiating to confirm his death by very eyes will form a queue that will go all the way to the Zoo.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Half of the time i have no idea what the insider code is about. Thankfully we have internet search.

Ref: http://singabloodypore.wordpress.com/2006/06/29/who-is-lionel-de-souza/

Who exactly is Lionel De Souza? Who does he work for? Why are his letters continually published in The Straits Times? Why do his views always adhere to the views of the establishment and the PAP? Is he really a member of the Peoples Action Party or someone who acts as a confederate for the policies and actions of the ruling party? Is he the editor writing under a pseudonym?

Ref: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,39954,00.html
Former police detective sergeant Lionel De Souza had a love-hate relationship with Malay gangsters in the 1960s and 1970s.

He was also an investigation officer in the Secret Societies Branch from 1963 to 1981.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Confucian philosophy encourages people to speak up and question authority. Confucian disapproved of those who did not point out flaws to the rulers.

It is the blatant distortion of confucian teachings by PAP govt through the sycophantic press that has resulted in what we see today - a meek, calculative and tame population.

PAP seem to love the ideas of confucism, or in this case, neo-confucism which itself was popular during the song dynasty of china that result in decay and curruption fo the song society and eventual callapse of the chinese empire in the face of "foregin" invasion. Much of such noe-confucious teaching stressed n "respecting" the authority as well as not challenging when even if a wrong occurs as it is not for them to speak up.

I recalled this verse: The emporer be the emporer, the minister be the minister, the trader be the trader, the peasant be the peasant. the father be the father, the son be the son, for anyone who try move over and take over the role of the above against the mandate of heaven, shall be punished by the will of heaven.

( for those who r well versed in confucious teaching, pls corect me if u think i m wrong in this)

i m not against filiel piety, respecting of one's parents is something we all must do. but using such viture and to threaten the people into thiniing questioning authority is wrong when wrong had been done is itself irresponsible.

Song Dynasty and even later the manchus was destroyed by neo-confucism, looks like we r not lewrning from history.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recalled this verse: The emporer be the emporer, the minister be the minister, the trader be the trader, the peasant be the peasant. the father be the father, the son be the son, for anyone who try move over and take over the role of the above against the mandate of heaven, shall be punished by the will of heaven.

During the Autumn-Spring period, many kings had their power usurped by their ministers, leading to social and political chaos. Confucius was promoting social order.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
During the Autumn-Spring period, many kings had their power usurped by their ministers, leading to social and political chaos. Confucius was promoting social order.

social oder is one thing, ensurig that the order dun change to hold onto power is another

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Were any charged and convicted or detained under ISA?

If I recall correctly, most if not all of them were detained under ISA for various period under "Marxist conspiracy." Francis Seow acted as their lawyer and ended up detained too, for about 2 to 3 months.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
social oder is one thing, ensurig that the order dun change to hold onto power is another

Confucius crafted his philosophy and teachings for peaceful co-existence amongst the warring states. He didn't expect Qin Shihuang to do one up on him by simply conquering all the warring states, and attempted to eradicate Confucianism as feudal and futile. But Qin Shihuang himself didn't expect his Qin dynasty to fall as soon as the second generation. The succeeding Han dynasty inherited a Qin-style unified empire but also restored Confucianism to national school of philosophy, thus canonising the definition of Chineseness henceforth hitherto.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Confucius crafted his philosophy and teachings for peaceful co-existence amongst the warring states. He didn't expect Qin Shihuang to do one up on him by simply conquering all the warring states, and attempted to eradicate Confucianism as feudal and futile. But Qin Shihuang himself didn't expect his Qin dynasty to fall as soon as the second generation. The succeeding Han dynasty inherited a Qin-style unified empire but also restored Confucianism to national school of philosophy, thus canonising the definition of Chineseness henceforth hitherto.

Qin Shihuang started legalism, he was against confucianism from the beginning.

this is evidence by the burning of the books.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Qin Shihuang started legalism, he was against confucianism from the beginning.

this is evidence by the burning of the books.

I see your point. Of course he was against Confucianism from the beginning, but that's confined to his Qin state. Conquering all other states enabled him to implement anti-Confucianism measures all across China.