• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious - need financial advice.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got a stupid question to ask, how do one buy US stocks? The easiest way?

Unfortunately there are are few cheap options for a Sporeans. Ameritradewill not accept anyone with a Spore address. However Etrade is available. I 've used them for years.

Etrade is cheap & ok. They have an offices in Spore & HK but you can open directly using the internet. Costs per trade is only US$10.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/home

Hint: During normal office hours the Spore Etrade tel number reaches the Spore offices. After office hours its routed directly to the US help line. Can save long distance charges by using the Spore tel no :smile:

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun waste time with C or BAC or AIG or WFC. Lots of toxic "assets" off their balance sheets that are yet to be written off, and bank earnings into 2010 are going to be flat according to most "anal"ysts. What's more, their high exposure to the shitty US mortgage market now will depress earnings for some time.

U want to "invest" (bet) on financials, go into VISA, MASTERCARD or AMEX.

Otherwise, go into tech and pharmaceuticals. Apple computer is one solid bet medium to long term, I am buying some every year for my kids :biggrin:

Hope this is not taken as a war of investment strategies but rather as an exchange of personal opinions.

The toxic assets had mostly been written off. Now is the recovery phase and thus the potential upside outweighs the downside.

As world spending is expected to remain cautious, your suggestion to buy into Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX can only be seen as safe investments but not for its potential returns.

As for Apple, the lack of new product launch and Steve Job's health issue may limit it's short to mid term growth, on and above the high PE of 31 in a market whose median PE is below 20. My personal opinion is the price should not trend above US$220, which to me is not attractive enough.

However, I do agree with you that certain pharmaceuticals looks good for mid-term buy.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You need to open a US trading account with your stock broking firm. Ask your Remiser. :eek:

I had an account with a Spore based remiser but can be expensive.

If you are a small time trader there's cheaper alternatives e.g. Etrade

ManSGP

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's you opinion on Berkshire Hathaway share :smile:
Latest prices

Brk A US$98,989
Brk B US$3,288

No point strategising on a fund that is close to public unless you are one of the privileged few. Personal opinion is that the old man made a bad mistake in steering away to derivative trading but I'm sure he and his team has geared the company back to the safety zone.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forgot to add that any funds you put into your Etrade account that's not being used to purchase equities gets interest.

However with US interests being so low it's not likely to matter. :smile:

Unfortunately there are are few cheap options for a Sporeans. Ameritradewill not accept anyone with a Spore address. However Etrade is available. I 've used them for years.

Etrade is cheap & ok. They have an offices in Spore & HK but you can open directly using the internet. Costs per trade is only US$10.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/home

Hint: During normal office hours the Spore Etrade tel number reaches the Spore offices. After office hours its routed directly to the US help line. Can save long distance charges by using the Spore tel no :smile:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe ur uncle friend must be those live in a honest life and a hardworking worker for his life. with 200k cash and cpf money is simply enough by leading a simple life style. forget about all the invest, i can ensure he will lose everything. but if he insist i like to suggest invest in property, either condo or hdb shop, and collect the monthly rental safely. condo around geyland area is good, cheap and many potential client to rent. engage a good property agent, anyway any bro out there in property line? any advice?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i believe ur uncle friend must be those live in a honest life and a hardworking worker for his life. with 200k cash and cpf money is simply enough by leading a simple life style. forget about all the invest, i can ensure he will lose everything. but if he insist i like to suggest invest in property, either condo or hdb shop, and collect the monthly rental safely. condo around geyland area is good, cheap and many potential client to rent. engage a good property agent, anyway any bro out there in property line? any advice?

i agree with you. many brothers's strategies rather cheem and complicated...i did tell him to put into his retirement account - 4% - and if he spends frugally and lives a simple life, i think it should be enough. he does not want to buy all the four CPF life....buying property is out of his reach....not enough even to buy a small flat...thanks for advice.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am in no position to advise you but i recommend reading the Sunday Tabloid Times,The column where they interview pple who made good in their investment,can learn from them. How much do you expect to yield annually?:cool:

Got some cash recently and wanted to invest wisely for old age.

$200K available for investment. Kind brothers can advise the best way and the safest way to invest this for the next 10 years.

The best and safest fixed deposit. The best and safest structured products.The best bank. The safest options.

Only serious brothers with serious financial advice will be taken seriously. But can also joke lah...some gems found in jokes and jibes.

Thank you very much in advance.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal

$200K available for investment. Kind brothers can advise the best way and the safest way to invest this for the next 10 years.

The best and safest fixed deposit. The best and safest structured products.The best bank. The safest options.

Only serious brothers with serious financial advice will be taken seriously. But can also joke lah...some gems found in jokes and jibes.

The best and the safest deposit will earn near zero income..right now that is
the situation. Structured deposits have little safety value anyway.

Same with shares, treasury bonds..
One has high risk.
The latter has extremely low yields..almost zero.

The amount is 200 K..in today's conditions and situation, with near zero interest rates..safe secure options to earn even 500 dollars per month from 200K does not even exist.

Yes, if you are knowledgeable, disciplined and patient, you can make about 2000 a month on average..on 200 K. capital...in safe mode.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you can make about 2000 a month on average..on 200 K. capital...in safe mode.

true, do some research! If I got money and if they have not screwed me up,today I will have 1 less problem in life. Look out for some revenue shares,less volatile and quite safe. If got time,go for those free seminars and observe them carefully,surely can learn something if they hoodwink the audience. The key is your own research,good luck!:biggrin:

The best and the safest deposit will earn near zero income..right now that is
the situation. Structured deposits have little safety value anyway.

Same with shares, treasury bonds..
One has high risk.
The latter has extremely low yields..almost zero.

The amount is 200 K..in today's conditions and situation, with near zero interest rates..safe secure options to earn even 500 dollars per month from 200K does not even exist.

Yes, if you are knowledgeable, disciplined and patient, you can make about 2000 a month on average..on 200 K. capital...in safe mode.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Try looking at shares which pay regular dividens.

Don't invest only in one basket but diversify into Malaysian, US,...shares which pay dividens.

I've left out Spore which I think is a risky :smile:

i agree with you. many brothers's strategies rather cheem and complicated...i did tell him to put into his retirement account - 4% - and if he spends frugally and lives a simple life, i think it should be enough. he does not want to buy all the four CPF life....buying property is out of his reach....not enough even to buy a small flat...thanks for advice.

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!! Read his original post. He wants safe investments. Brokerage account is a kiss of death for someone who wrote the above . Unless you put your money in a diverse selection of ETFs ONLY.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
solly,have to be selfish on this...eyeing some potential good shares for long term,once got money,snap them up! do your own research.:smile:

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!! Read his original post. He wants safe investments. Brokerage account is a kiss of death for someone who wrote the above . Unless you put your money in a diverse selection of ETFs ONLY.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good quote & noted!:p

Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
you can make about 2000 a month on average..on 200 K. capital...in safe mode.

true, do some research! If I got money and if they have not screwed me up,today I will have 1 less problem in life. Look out for some revenue shares,less volatile and quite safe. If got time,go for those free seminars and observe them carefully,surely can learn something if they hoodwink the audience. The key is your own research,good luck!:biggrin:

Do not listen to any of these experts...most are half baked pretenders
and some have hidden agendas.
So far to my knowledge, I have not met a single fianancial analyst
or listen to them..within 5 minutes of they opening their mouth
we can see they have hardly any understanding of global economics
or the importance of internal politics and how intelinked these factors
are in various financial markets. These so called analysts are either
useless text book maestros or belong to the wolf pack mentality brigade.

Right now, there are 2 ways to make money in the investing game.

1. Hope for luck when you are greedy.
or
2. Be knowledgeable and disciplined.

And above all..face and challenge the open market dynamics to invest..the wider the openness the better..rather than focus on closed internally driven economic instruments and avenues promoted and hyped by half baked 'financial analyst' duffers.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
exactly...thks!

Do not listen to any of these experts...most are half baked pretenders
and some have hidden agendas.
So far to my knowledge, I have not met a single fianancial analyst
or listen to them..within 5 minutes of they opening their mouth
we can see they have hardly any understanding of global economics
or the importance of internal politics and how intelinked these factors
are in various financial markets. These so called analysts are either
useless text book maestros or belong to the wolf pack mentality brigade.

Right now, there are 2 ways to make money in the investing game.

1. Hope for luck when you are greedy.
or
2. Be knowledgeable and disciplined.

And above all..face and challenge the open market dynamics to invest..the wider the openness the better..rather than focus on closed internally driven economic instruments and avenues promoted and hyped by half baked 'financial analyst' duffers.