• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP back to old pattern

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent points. SDP looks very credible now. The SDP has changed tactics and is seen as a real threat and pain to the PAP. Will the PAP go all out to deny a SDP win in the next GE?

Since CSJ came into the picture, PAP had been doing their level best to deny a SDP win! Papzis will try even harder to squash the democrats. Fascism will die instead. Democrats will live! This I am sure.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP is questioning the right to peaceful assembly. Why one law for one and another law for the other. It is not about civil disobedience.

You are not thinking that others don't know what they are talking about? When you make a magistrate appeal, your case will be dismissed with costs. Case in point Mdm Vellama, who is now looking to pay the courts.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not before they get more candidates who look the part as MPs. Yuppies and bookish types simply don't scream "leader of men" to me. Maybe you liberal types are more forgiving on appearances.

Does Tin Pei Ling look like one? Or Lim Swee Say? How about Wong Kan Seng? And Mah Bow Tan?

Do not forget many of these so-called MPs came in by the back door. If place in single seat contests against the likes of Tan Jee Say or Dr Vincent Wijesingha of the SDP, they wont stand a chance!

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since CSJ came into the picture, PAP had been doing their level best to deny a SDP win! Papzis will try even harder to squash the democrats. Fascism will die instead. Democrats will live! This I am sure.

the more the pap uses dirty tactics, the more SDP bloom

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP cannot afford to slide back

Agree. SDP should continue its work, walk the ground, talk to people, get positive publicity/exposure. Chasing White Scum, shouting after them only alienate the silent, daft majority.

it cannot take umbrage from using the same well worn excuses such as thefollowing which many that follow Singapore politics know;
1. Singaporeans are not ready for SDP
2. SDP is ahead of its time .... Lets hope that SDP does not go back to previous approach of martyrdom politics which has little appeal here. .

Disagree. It is much more about the old confrontational SDP not suitable for Signaporeans. It has nothing to do with who is more "traditional"/"modernized"

You can't sell any excellent product or yourself if you always look angry and talk aggressively

WP's inroads in the recent GE surely cannot be related to their parliamentary performance. It is a mixture of shrewd tactics, hard work on the ground and the capitalising on the rising adverse sentiments that has enveloped the PAP.

Agree. There is no short cut.

The most practical and effective approach is still to be more visible in the GRC/SMC that they intend to contest in the next GE. The ridiculous redrawing of electoral boundaries is the last thing they should worried about if they are sincere and eager to serve true pink Singaporeans

The party and candidates need to be seen, to be heard, to touch and win the voters' heart. Not a few embarrassingly stupid comments in fb or articles in their party homepage

Examples are SDP block party, NSP legal clinic. RP, not sure. SPP, also not sure. SDA, never heard of it.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal

SDP blooms? Not sure if we are talking about the same SDP or not.

GE2016, maybe. If they continue to make themselves visible, get positive exposure/publicity instead of looking angry and talking aggressively

GE2011, nope

DubLi

Alfrescian
Loyal

This I agree. The internet age has opened ppl's mind to the dirty tricks played by the papzis. We are not suckers anymore.

I hope the PAP continue to use harsh tactics to frighten ppl. We can see them coming from afar. Now they are very sensitive to the mood of the ppl.

I actually hope they do not change. Then the ppl will teach those sick papzis a real good lesson come GE 2016.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does Tin Pei Ling look like one? Or Lim Swee Say? How about Wong Kan Seng? And Mah Bow Tan?

Do not forget many of these so-called MPs came in by the back door. If place in single seat contests against the likes of Tan Jee Say or Dr Vincent Wijesingha of the SDP, they wont stand a chance!

They are the incumbents, not your band of merry men so obviously the whole feudal system works in their favour. But once a duchy falls to the Resistance, the pendulum is swung in your favour. The Duchy of Hougang-Aljunied, for instance would still hold out if the WP fields 2 or 3 mediocre newbies once the old dogs retire in 20 years time. Therefore it is of paramount importance to capture the hearts and minds of the peasantry on the first try. Until then arty farty bapoks and bookworm muggers can bugger off one corner and let the Big Balls slug it out like gladiators in a roman coliseum. Asiatic societies long subjugated under god-kings adore strong, forceful men, that is why Sun Yat-sen were eventually forced to adopt despotic authoritarian wiles to rein in quarrelsome comrades. Pinky is to Puyi, so the contrast of "stage presence" can work in your favour. This is but one view among many others that might work which I fail to conceive. Carrots might help too. Maoists tried their hands in pork barrel politics by promising to seize land from the aristocracy to fool peasants into helping them.

All in all, history provides proximate examples of how men changed the world. Perhaps you shall find one or two tasteful ones to your liking.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find it hard to agree, though I may draw flak. In the most recent, compare SDP housing policy and current HDB policies. SDP had rather grandiose words to describe its paper and credentials of talented people behind it. But the policy basically says, give priority to couples who have 2 or more children, then one child. The PAP housing policy gives priority to more children under the Third-Child Priority scheme (TCP).

If you ask me, both ideas of letting larger families have priority are counter-productive. How about families without kids? No priority? If no priority, how to start having kids. Singapore is a place where you don't have many alternatives. For most people, HDB is the only source of housing for them.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In that case, just let everything be as it is and kangarooism is the order of the day.

No. Get into parliament and have it debated. Having it decided in court does not seem to be a pragmatic way. You are assuming the existing law is either non-constitutional or it was a mistake and you expect the judge to agree with you.

Because the law on illegal assembly is so general and broadly defined, you will have to argue against some real relevant situation where the law should apply. With the police as the sole issuer of approval, there is no transparency. Therefore greater transparency (and more detailed scoping) should be what we should attempt to fight for and this cannot be fought in the court.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pappy Tan The Temasek Review

The East scored better is because WP soften the ground for 20 years. WP lost every election except Hougang at GE1991 and only won more at GE2011.

When SDP won at Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central at GE1991, everybody say West and North were easy but WP never went there but still stick with the difficult East. When SDP lost all Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central at GE1997, SDP made West and North harder as voters lost confidence in all Opposition post GE1997. SDP was the biggest culprit.

At GE2011, WP regain back some lost confidence in Opposition. Just because WP refuse to follow SDP style and TTR style to go on hunger strikes, protest and to oppose everything PAP say, TTR say WP is PAP's partner. Why force WP to follow TTR's style ? TTR is dictator ??

TTR is a PAP website with the objective of sowing discord among alternative parties and create confusion among the Opposition supporters.

TTR's main job is to prevent WP from growing huge enough to rival PAP for government.

If WP fail to grow, stuck with just Hougang and Aljunied or even shrink like SDP in 1990s-2000s, then TTR would have reach its objective.

Another method to keep PAP as government is that TTR wants every alternative party to grow and rival WP instead. This scenario PAP wins as alternative parties take turns playing the musical chairs to growa and shrink but never grow huge enough to rival PAP for government and change the PAP policies. This is playing one alternative party against each other. Very evil and Anti-Singaporean tactic. This happen between throughout 1980s-2000s when SDP and WP took turns to grow and shrink and PAP happily remain as government.

A real Opposition supporter will build on what WP has already so that one day WP can contest all areas in Singapore and seriously bid to be Singapore government.

Even if WP is PAP 'B' Team as smeared by TTR, Opposition supporters should vote WP. It is better to vote for pirated PAP then genuine PAP. lol. Pirated PAP at least have unforseeable screens at times in the drama, unpredictable. Genuine PAP, we all know what genuine PAP is capable of already.

Yes, WP has flaws and weaknesses but which political party does not have flaws and weaknesses ? WP is Singaporean's best hope now for some salvation to change PAP policies. Only power talks in Singapore.

Give WP the power of government first then policies can be change. Judge WP as a government, no point passing judgements on WP now as Opposition because it is not WP policies and WP affecting Singaporean lives, it is PAP and PAP policies ruining Singaporean lives.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speakers' Corner, for one.

How is Speakers' Corner today? It is very clear what the PAP is doing. You want a Speakers' Corner, I give you a Speakers' Corner and see what you can do with it. They see you no up. You should be very sensitive to these things.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Facebook

The only PAP 'B' Team Singaporeans witness past 20 years is SDP and Dr Chee.

Dr Chee broke up a perfectly growing SDP under Chiam See Tong and lost all 3 seats at GE1997 that was won at GE1991 under Chiam See Tong's SDP.

This is because Chee's SDP decide to focus on making as much inaccurate noise in Parliament, being aggressive in Parliament, exposing SDP to lawsuits , conducting civil disobedience and getting arrested rather than running town councils and bonding with residents via grassroots.

The loss caused Singaporeans to lose faith in Opposition for 20 years untl GE2011 when WP made a difficult breakthrough. PAP kept harping Opposition cannot run a SMC let alone a GRC because of SDP's loss at GE1997. SDP almost destroyed Opposition Cause with their antics.

Civil disobedience, bankruptcy, arrests, lawsuits etc gave Opposition a bad image and reminded Singaporeans to fear PAP even more. SDP actually made PAP more feared and more powerful instead and Singaporeans felt more hopeless.

Many good people wanted to join Opposition but seeing Dr Chee's situation decided not to. This lack of good people joining Opposition gave many Walkovers to PAP for 20 years in every elections. SDP only gave Walkovers to Singaporeans at elections because CSJ and gang kept getting barred from elections because of their antics.

What choice, what democracy, what rights, what hope, what change, what impact and what freedom did SDP gave Singaporeans past 20 years ? Nothing at all.

Democracy is not just freedom to have civil disobedience but democracy is also about giving people choice to change governments in elections, not change Opposition parties.

Now PAP once again wants to unleash the Kraken in CSJ to confuse and disrupt alternative parties progress from GE2011 by agreeing to give discount from $500,000 to $30,000 so that CSJ can take part in elections. Destructive, disruptive and history repeats itself.

SPP at least kept one seat in Parliament for 15 years after GE1997 and never got voted out and lose seats before GE2011. SPP was already small and weak when Chiam started it. 15 years down the road under different political landscape, SPP did contest one GRC at least. One less than SDP only who under Chee did not grow much too despite having longer time of brand name.

It took Chiam and SDP 15 years to win 3 seats at GE1991. So how can you say SDP would not have grown under Chiam when SDP did grew under Chiam at GE1991.

Not even WP lost seats before. JBJ was disqualified from Parliament after being charged and Yaw Shin Leong was sacked by WP. None was voted out.

SDP under Dr Chee after GE1997 past 15 years got voted out of Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central, never grow but got smaller and did not even win any seats. You call this good record ?

It is not grandmother's story but true facts. No Singaporean Opposition Supporter want to sacrifice another 20 years and see no result from any Alternative Parties.

Technically and officially, somebody here said there is only one Opposition in Parliament which is WP because the rest are either NCMPs or alternative parties with no seats. Even to be Opposition, political parties need to win enough seats to be Opposition.

I still believe in growing only WP to be Government as fast as possible base on Hougang and Aljunied platforms. This is irregardless what other alternative parties try to pull off, antics and plans. Every party have its own style, voters will decide.

No point running down each alternative parties now. You can run down WP all you want ONLY after WP is government and be blamed for WP government policies. No point running down WP when it is not responsible for the mess in Singapore.

No more Alternative Parties Musical Chairs we seen last 47 years.

I hardly see you commenting on negative PAP threads but comment on every negative WP thread and pretending to be SDP supporter and NSP supporter. I can only conclude you are a PAP IB.

All political parties have positives and negatives. Each wants to try their own style so let it be. Voters shall decide. SDP is free to continue to stage protest etc. WP is free to use its own tactical style. PAP is free to continue to run down anybody that gets in its way. NSP is free to continue to state the obvious. RP is free to continue to piggyback on whatever other parties started.

I dont think I am running down anybody here. I am just stating history and SDP's output last 20 years. I did not wish to do it but if people like Robox, TTR and Sam Lim continue to run down WP in all possible and petty ways instead of focusing on PAP which is the main reason for ruining Singaporean's lives, then I wish to join in the fun too.

TTR's record until BE2012 was normal, you seldom see people posting negatives about SDP and WP too and everyone were attacking only PAP. But BE2012 onwards, turn its focus on WP more so the negatives about WP, SDP, RP, NSP etc started appearing too. TTR is the root culprit for everything.

Yes, all political parties have its negatives but we leave it to Singapore Media to dig it out as tradition and Internet is more the opposite direction. All Opposition supporters understood all Alternative Parties have bad points as well but like Singapore Media for PAP, we help each other out by minimising these negatives for Alternative Parties.

Now TTR wants to upset the equilibrium and test all Alternative Parties supporters patience and confuse them. The Anti-WP and pro-SDP stance had upset the Balance and tilt into PAP's favour.

Then more and more people will join in the fun, end result could only be disaster for all alternative parties at GE2016 and glee for PAP as every alternative party supporter rather see each other die and drag each other down than let any alternative party beat them to beating PAP.

I hardly see you commenting on negative PAP threads but comment on every negative WP thread and pretending to be SDP supporter and NSP supporter. I can only conclude you are a PAP IB.

All political parties have positives and negatives. Each wants to try their own style so let it be. Voters shall decide. SDP is free to continue to stage protest etc. WP is free to use its own tactical style. PAP is free to continue to run down anybody that gets in its way. NSP is free to continue to state the obvious. RP is free to continue to piggyback on whatever other parties started.

I dont think I am running down anybody here. I am just stating history and SDP's output last 20 years. I did not wish to do it but if people like Robox, TTR and Sam Lim continue to run down WP in all possible and petty ways instead of focusing on PAP which is the main reason for ruining Singaporean's lives, then I wish to join in the fun too.

TTR's record until BE2012 was normal, you seldom see people posting negatives about SDP and WP too and everyone were attacking only PAP. But BE2012 onwards, turn its focus on WP more so the negatives about WP, SDP, RP, NSP etc started appearing too. TTR is the root culprit for everything.

Yes, all political parties have its negatives but we leave it to Singapore Media to dig it out as tradition and Internet is more the opposite direction. All Opposition supporters understood all Alternative Parties have bad points as well but like Singapore Media for PAP, we help each other out by minimising these negatives for Alternative Parties.

Now TTR wants to upset the equilibrium and test all Alternative Parties supporters patience and confuse them. The Anti-WP and pro-SDP stance had upset the Balance and tilt into PAP's favour.

Then more and more people will join in the fun, end result could only be disaster for all alternative parties at GE2016 and glee for PAP as every alternative party supporter rather see each other die and drag each other down than let any alternative party beat them to beating PAP.

Last edited:

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Facebook

TTR's record until BE2012 was normal, you seldom see people posting negatives about SDP and WP too and everyone were attacking only PAP. But BE2012 onwards, turn its focus on WP more so the negatives about WP, SDP, RP, NSP etc started appearing too. TTR is the root culprit for everything

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages?msg=63062.20
To: ALL (20 of 27)
63062.20 in reply to 63062.17
Workers’ Party NCMP praises PM Lee for hearing the ‘voices’ of Singaporeans
http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/08/2...-the-‘voices’-of-singaporeans/#comment-711201

>

NCMP Yee Jenn Jong of the Workers’ Party’s (WP) has praised Prime Minister (PM) Lee for hearing the ‘voices’ of Singaporeans.

PM Lee had during the National Day Rally (NDR), promised to have a national conversation with Singaporeans and to work together with them in writing the next chapter of Singapore’s future.

Mr Yee was speaking to reporters after the NDR 2012 which he attended with another WP NCMP Gerald Giam.

An education consultant himself, Mr Yee noted that PM Lee touched on two issues close to his heart: university education and pre-school education. He also found it timely that PM Lee spoke on neighbourliness, and shares an anecdote of a street party he encountered in a private estate.

It’d be good when something is really done, that the voices are heard. Like I said, there are a lot of voices that are already heard. I don’t think there (will be) any new views that will be surfaced.

Apparently, PM Lee’s NDR 2012 speech was ‘well-received’ by many Singaporeans, including opposition Member of Parliament such as Yee Jenn Jong.
<

Singaporean Parent:
August 28, 2012 at 9:41 am (Quote)

>
It’d be good when something is really done, that the voices are heard. Like I said, there are a lot of voices that are already heard. I don’t think there (will be) any new views that will be surfaced.
<

Can someone point out where and how did YJJ praise Pinky?

Or he was being sarcastic, saying the true pink Singaporeans have already voiced out their concerns through many channels and so the issue is no longer "deaf frog" syndrome but on the lack of concrete and sincere effort to resolve them

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages?msg=63062.22
To: ALL (22 of 27)
63062.22 in reply to 63062.20

SgParent says:
Workers’ Party NCMP praises PM Lee for hearing the ‘voices’ of Singaporeans http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/08/2...-the-‘voices’-of-singaporeans/#comment-711201

Interesting.

The article could not be found anymore. Why?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pappy Tan is a long winded chap but he gets his facts mostly correct. I have to say that the criticisms on WP are beginning to border on the ridiculous, such as lucky draws and dirty toilets.

DubLi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pappy Tan is a long winded chap but he gets his facts mostly correct. I have to say that the criticisms on WP are beginning to border on the ridiculous, such as lucky draws and dirty toilets.

Did you get your facts right? So you are in agreement with the paragraphs below?

"Civil disobedience, bankruptcy, arrests, lawsuits etc gave Opposition a bad image and reminded Singaporeans to fear PAP even more. SDP actually made PAP more feared and more powerful instead and Singaporeans felt more hopeless.

Many good people wanted to join Opposition but seeing Dr Chee's situation decided not to. This lack of good people joining Opposition gave many Walkovers to PAP for 20 years in every elections. SDP only gave Walkovers to Singaporeans at elections because CSJ and gang kept getting barred from elections because of their antics."

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did you get your facts right? So you are in agreement with the paragraphs below?

"Civil disobedience, bankruptcy, arrests, lawsuits etc gave Opposition a bad image and reminded Singaporeans to fear PAP even more. SDP actually made PAP more feared and more powerful instead and Singaporeans felt more hopeless.

Many good people wanted to join Opposition but seeing Dr Chee's situation decided not to. This lack of good people joining Opposition gave many Walkovers to PAP for 20 years in every elections. SDP only gave Walkovers to Singaporeans at elections because CSJ and gang kept getting barred from elections because of their antics."

It is closer to the truth than not where many people are concerned. There are Singaporeans who fear opposition politics because they identify opposition politics with arrests and troubles. Some get arrests and troubles, others look for them. Those who look for them, of course, cannot say they are absolved from creating such a perception.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How is Speakers' Corner today? It is very clear what the PAP is doing. You want a Speakers' Corner, I give you a Speakers' Corner and see what you can do with it. They see you no up. You should be very sensitive to these things.

Now that you mention, SDP boycotted Speakers' Corner when it first started, both in action and words. Some years later, they silently forgot about that and went in. When SC liberalized protests, they also denounced the place, but later, again, went in. But their supporters would claim SC as a SDP victory.

It's the same with CD. SDP held illegal protests more than 4 times a year for 2 years and in the last 3 years totally stopped. Only their supporters found that consistent and brave.

I haven't raised all these to state why my support for SDP will never be unequivocal but since the credit for SC came up, might as well.

Last edited: