• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign workers and immigration issues will be main focus for SDP in next general election

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...n-worker-issues-for-upcoming-general-election

SDP to campaign on immigration and foreign worker issues for upcoming general election​

1 of 2
2024051127868383snapseed.jpg

SDP secretary-general Chee Soon Juan said the party will work with economists to come up with proposals on how Singapore can reduce its reliance on foreign labour. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

UPDATED MAY 11, 2024, 10:44 PM

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) will focus on issues including immigration and foreign workers for the next general election, the party said on May 11 as it launched its election campaign.

At the campaign launch, which was held at the party’s headquarters at WCEGA Tower in Bukit Batok Crescent, party secretary-general Chee Soon Juan and chairman Paul Tambyah laid out their plans for the coming election.

Singapore has to hold its next general election by November 2025. But some pundits say the election could come sooner rather than later, given that Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will step down on May 15.

Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong will take over then as the country’s fourth prime minister.

On why the SDP is launching its campaign now, Professor Tambyah pointed out that it also had an early start for the 2020 General Election, launching its campaign in February 2019, or 17 months before Singaporeans went to the polls.

“We know that to mount a credible campaign, we need time to mobilise volunteers, update our policies, prepare our social media strategies, walk the ground, get to know the residents, which is especially important if we aim to win the constituency and manage the town council,” he said.

The launch event was attended by some 70 party members, volunteers and members of the public.

Dr Chee said the SDP intends to push the incoming prime minister, DPM Wong, to “keep to the PAP’s promise to significantly reduce the inflow of foreign workers”.

Singapore’s policy around foreign talent has impacted productivity, the cost of living, inequality and its national identity, he said, adding that the SDP will work with economists to come up with proposals on how Singapore can reduce its reliance on foreign labour.

Asked whether the People’s Action Party’s recent political controversies – such as the ongoing corruption probe involving former transport minister S. Iswaran – would give the SDP an advantage, Dr Chee disagreed.

“My own sense is that people see these issues as water under the bridge. I think people are looking forward to the issues that we’ve raised, and they are concerned about their future,” he said.

The party has said it intends to contest Sembawang GRC, in addition to the constituencies it contested in the 2020 General Election.

Back then, the SDP fielded 11 candidates in Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC, Bukit Panjang SMC, Yuhua SMC, Holland-Bukit Timah GRC and Bukit Batok SMC.

When asked if the party had any new faces to introduce, Prof Tambyah pointed to its treasurer Surayah Akbar, 41, whom he said is one of the SDP’s possible new candidates.

The music publisher and mother of three told The Straits Times that she has been volunteering with the party for the past 18 years.
2024051165592407snapseed_8.jpg

SDP treasurer Surayah Akbar is one of the party’s possible new candidates. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

Ms Surayah said she started doing weekly house visits and twice-a-month walkabouts in areas including Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC a few months after GE2020.
Residents have told her that they find it difficult to keep up with the rising cost of living, she said.

“As a working parent myself, I feel for them because this is what I experienced too,” she said, when asked for her thoughts on the party’s campaign platform.
--------------

Last edited:

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those kanboo 71% not interested in whatever issues lah.

Most importantly, Dr Chee's cafes must HUAT big big ... become public listed.

Sinkies will not vote for 3-room flat owner one lah.

bigozt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mad Dog Cheebye at it again. Even if my Pappie dog MPee is a bitch I will vote her than you, hope you lose deposit. You are irrelevant to SG.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mad Dog Cheebye at it again. Even if my Pappie dog MPee is a bitch I will vote her than you, hope you lose deposit. You are irrelevant to SG.
You are holding what he did 20+ years ago (when he was idealistic and politically immature) against him? That a person cannot mature and change? Are the ideas and proposals he rolled out in the past 3 GEs 'mad'? Did he sound like a mad dog in his election rally speeches? Be honest.

That aside, how many opposition figures have worked as hard as he has without yet winning a seat in Parliament?

If you can see a calm, sober, level-headed politician give sound and logical alternatives to the PAP as a 'mad dog', then maybe you need to have your mind examined, not Chee.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are holding what he did 20+ years ago (when he was idealistic and politically immature) against him? That a person cannot mature and change? Are the ideas and proposals he rolled out in the past 3 GEs 'mad'? Did he sound like a mad dog in his election rally speeches? Be honest.

That aside, how many opposition figures have worked as hard as he has without yet winning a seat in Parliament?

If you can see a calm, sober, level-headed politician give sound and logical alternatives to the PAP as a 'mad dog', then maybe you need to have your mind examined, not Chee.
Things becum clearer after 20yrs

Time is the best judge for character

Everybody just love Good HANDS as they can feel they are 100% benefited from Good Hands policy - Good strong HDBee price appreciation, CDC Vouchers, Good Flexi High Pay Tech Job like PHV Drivers etc

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
路遙知马力,日久见人心
Right,Boss John?
Your big boss Good Hands treat u very very well right?
Will u benefit the same if it is Locktor Chee?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good Hands has 60yrs of good consistent result delivery...everybody upgrade from sambalong fish village atap house go world best Housing In less than 50yrs, even AMDK also jin envy de woh...

Anybody disagreed??