• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we clear this once and for all? There are 3 projects:

1) RTS (JB to SG)
2) HSR (KL to JB to SG)
3) Intra-rail (within JB)

Only item 3 is scrapped. Items 1 and 2 are still on for now.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the RTS is built, don't u think pple from other parts of MY will choose to stay at JB and take the train to SG to work ?? Singaporeans will also stay at JB for bigger space n lower costs .

Agree, it should cause a greater demand for jb properties from people now living and working in spore, expats , PRs, WP and EP holders and Singaporeans. iskandar properties will huat with its announcement..

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Reds, just to add on and provide relevant links :

http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/m...302/press_20130219_01.printable.html?status=1

1)RTS - Awaiting Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Com's decision on the option (tunnel or bridge) and location ( where in jb central). In Singapore, RTS station will be linked to future Woodlands north station ( new thomson line). RTS will have only two stations, one in JB and one in Woodlands, with a co-located CIQ (immigration).

2)HSR - Malaysia's initiative. Singapore gov agreed for a station in Singapore. Location in Singapore not decided, but Spore gov hinted that HSR station is unlikely to be in Woodlands. Very little info so far.

3) Rail, bus link within JB. Speculative, no commitment from Malaysia gov yet.

Can we clear this once and for all? There are 3 projects:

1) RTS (JB to SG)
2) HSR (KL to JB to SG)
3) Intra-rail (within JB)

Only item 3 is scrapped. Items 1 and 2 are still on for now.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MRT connection between Singapore and JB will be the first to materialize, to be followed up with the High Speed Rail to KL, probably via the 2nd link. As for the light rail network within JB, I believe it'll be put on the backbench and deferred indefinitely until they can justify sufficient ridership and population growth in JB (zones A, B and C) itself. There is practically not enough funds (even if some of these were to be privately funded) to justify all systems go for those 3 big projects simultaneously.

The above are my personal views.

thinkandgrowth

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be big set back if items 3 is call off. Giving up means giving up the ruling power to opposition 5 yrs later. Many more invertors giving up too. Such s brainless move....

Iskandar attracted big investment via vision of edu/medi/finance/ent/safety/HSR&RTS.intra mrt is added value if it is build.only those buyer that bet on intra-mrt build next to them is going to be disappointed.If talking about priority & budget,BRT do seem like better option than intra-mrt.s'pore too hv some mrt build too early b4 the area is getting develops & bearing the losses,some might still hv memory about which station.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MRT connection between Singapore and JB will be the first to materialize, to be followed up with the High Speed Rail to KL, probably via the 2nd link.

Yes the HSR will probably be via 2nd link. If its really going to be from KL CBD to SG CBD as envisaged, then the logical way is for it to enter SG via 2nd link, and using the AYE route to terminate at Marina/Tanjong Pagar area. No rocket science really, esp if you use google map to look at the alignment.....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
For yr info, many M'sian bet on intra-mrt build. If it is not on, good luck to BN of next term in Johore. I hope my message can reach Johore MB for win win situation. :(

Well, the Kempas/Setia Tropika owners can still console in the fact that they are 15-20 mins drive to the future RTS stop at Old Lorry Customs. To be honest, it was always a v complicated project to begin with. In SG, extensive soil investigative work is carried out before station stops are announced, esp in populated areas. I have seen nothing in JB on such soil testing.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes the HSR will probably be via 2nd link. If its really going to be from KL CBD to SG CBD as envisaged, then the logical way is for it to enter SG via 2nd link, and using the AYE route to terminate at Marina/Tanjong Pagar area. No rocket science really, esp if you use google map to look at the alignment.....

Because of custom and immigration problem, if ever HSR will be build and coming to SG, it will terminate only at one point and not going onwards into the country.
That terminal will also be the CIQ and passengers will disembark, clear immigration and hop into the adjoining MRT station to continue his journey, just like the Hong Kong/Shenzhen CIQ
If the HSR is coming via the Second Link, then the East/West line will be extend and terminate in Tuas and connected to the new HSR / CIQ station.
And if the HSR comes from JB, then it will be connected the same way either to the North/South line or the new Thomson Line.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because of custom and immigration problem, if ever HSR will be build and coming to SG, it will terminate only at one point and not going onwards into the country.
That terminal will also be the CIQ and passengers will disembark, clear immigration and hop into the adjoining MRT station to continue his journey, just like the Hong Kong/Shenzhen CIQ
If the HSR is coming via the Second Link, then the East/West line will be extend and terminate in Tuas and connected to the new HSR / CIQ station.
And if the HSR comes from JB, then it will be connected the same way either to the North/South line or the new Thomson Line.

ya, likely to be at Tuas where it may also be linked to PH via water taxi.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
ya, likely to be at Tuas where it may also be linked to PH via water taxi.

If you follow the transport forums, that's talk that the clearance may be at 2nd link but it can be continued to Marina/Keppel via AYE route. It isnt as far fetched as it seems, because if you take a long term view, the HSR can eventually be linked all the way to China. If so, it will be very weird for it to terminate at Tuas then.

Depends on whether Ah Loong and Ah Jib Ge can take a long term view really....If not, it will terminate at Tuas/Jurong Lake District.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is very unlikely for the HSR to come in beyond Tuas, especially in the city because it is prime land in Singapore. Furthermore, who will bear the cost for the additional infrastructure.

I believe it'll end in Tuas and passengers can then transfer to the MRT (extended to Tuas by that time, since it's already in Joo Koon now) to complete their journey. In this way, the MRT will also have additional revenue.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
To build the RTS, only one simple reason is needed to justify - sufficient ridership.
Without sufficient ridership, you can't even support the operation cost, what more capital recovery, and JB just do not have enough commuters.
The RTS is extremely massive and costly to build so who will fund a project that cannot make money?
But don't forget we still have the HSR (provided its not scrapped later) which will come from SG with JB as the first stop before heading to KL.
Those Malaysians can still take this service from JB to SG and continue with the linked MRT system.

HSR will be built as both PMs have given their word. But it may not be worth taking it to JB as cost is likely to be exorbitant compared to other available modes. As you pointed out Ridership is key, that will be keenly affected by fare prices.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pls cfm Items 3 of Intra-rail is scrapped as it is the most important element of capital gain for all isksndar's property . For HSR is more benifit Sg n KL property. For RTS (sg to JB) just benifit those property near the jb station. Any one can cfm such bad news? Tks a millions...

It sounds to me that MASTEEL's proposal has been rejected, doesnt mean they wont use another operator. But could also mean the whole idea is being given the boot. RTS from JB to Singapore wont be of much use( isnt it like the KTM train from Woodlands to JB?) unless there's no need for immigration clearance( smartcard).As pointed out, if its a SINGLE stop in JB, it wont be convenient .The benefit of the inter-city rail being linked to RTS is commuters can hop on from their estates.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
It sounds to me that MASTEEL's proposal has been rejected, doesnt mean they wont use another operator. But could also mean the whole idea is being given the boot. RTS from JB to Singapore wont be of much use( isnt it like the KTM train from Woodlands to JB?) unless there's no need for immigration clearance( smartcard).As pointed out, if its a SINGLE stop in JB, it wont be convenient .The benefit of the inter-city rail being linked to RTS is commuters can hop on from their estates.

I beg to differ. A single stop at JB sentral is good if the train service is frequent and fast. It won't be as slow as the KTM train. people from other parts of JB can drive to the station and hop onto the fast train to SG. The causeway will be eased considerably, enabling faster travel via cars .

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to differ. A single stop at JB sentral is good if the train service is frequent and fast. It won't be as slow as the KTM train. people from other parts of JB can drive to the station and hop onto the fast train to SG. The causeway will be eased considerably, enabling faster travel via cars .

Well said. At 3-5 mins frequency, the buses queue will clear liao... I forsee the need for a super giant multi-storey carpark near the JB RTS, for the MY residents to park & then take RTS to link to Thomson Line. Hahahaha

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. At 3-5 mins frequency, the buses queue will clear liao... I forsee the need for a super giant multi-storey carpark near the JB RTS, for the MY residents to park & then take RTS to link to Thomson Line. Hahahaha

MY residents can also take buses to the station. sprucing up the bus system is way cheaper than building the intra city line.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal

There will be jams within the city and Immigration clearance will also take time. There may be long queues at peak times. Like our current MRT system here? That is HERE. Imagine in JB?What will it be like if you have a single station and thousands trying to voard the train to get to work on time here.
At best it may ease the Causeway/2nd link jams somewhat, but given that more and more are buying properties with the view to relocate there, we may be back to where we are today in terms of commuting.Sorry, I dont have much faith in either side to ease jams because I can see they are not really motivated to do so from my frequent travels via both links these days. It seems their attitude is "If you want to travel you just put up with the jam".

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
There will be jams within the city and Immigration clearance will also take time. There may be long queues at peak times. Like our current MRT system here? That is HERE. Imagine in JB?What will it be like if you have a single station and thousands trying to voard the train to get to work on time here.
At best it may ease the Causeway/2nd link jams somewhat, but given that more and more are buying properties with the view to relocate there, we may be back to where we are today in terms of commuting.Sorry, I dont have much faith in either side to ease jams because I can see they are not really motivated to do so from my frequent travels via both links these days. It seems their attitude is "If you want to travel you just put up with the jam".

Maybe what we need is more links into JB, rather than just depending on Woodlands and Tuas. Maybe even make bridges where only allowed people to walk on foot, at places where distance between JB and Singapore not too great. Long travellators?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe even make bridges where only allowed people to walk on foot, at places where distance between JB and Singapore not too great. Long travellators?

The shortest distance betw SG and JB is also where it is most heavily fortified at the SG side, including where our elite units i.e. armour & fighter jets, are located....hahahaha

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, RTS planners better cater for large number of parking lots....not just for malaysians workg in spore, also for sporeans going to stay in JB and working/studying in spore.