• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Roundtable discussion: Tan Kin Lian's bid for presidency - how far will he go ?

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prologue

After playing down his political ambitions for two months since he was thrusted into the limelight by being an advocate for the troubled minibond investors, Mr Tan Kin Lian had finally announced his interest in the elected presidency or MP. In an article published on Sunday Times, ‘Tan Kin Lian eyes elected presidency”, Mr Tan said he will run for either the presidency or MP if he is able to gather 100,000 signatures.

We ask our panel of 3 writers of what they think of Mr Tan’s plan to run for public office.

In addition, we have invited 3 bloggers to share with us their thoughts - Mr Daniel Ling of Information Read by Me, Mr Gabriel Sim of Simply Gab and Mr Ng E Jay of Sgpolitics

Mr Tan has repeatedly denied that he has any political motives for helping the investors. What are the possible reasons for this abrupt U-turn now ?

Read rest of article here:

http://wayangparty.com/2008/11/26/roundtable-discussion-mr-tan-kin-lians-bid-for-presidency/

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
To contest now, he is his own boss.

To contest last time under the PAP, he has to take a lot of shit from the higher up

Now he can say I have mandate and throw the 100,000 signatures as proof :biggrin:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure how far he will go as every earthling know our land is unique, with the 66.6%, miracle keep happening.

But for me i will definitely throw in my vote and get each and everyone i know to give full support. After all we have been paying $3-4m each year just for some handshakes, wave, presence at opening ceremonies, charity shows, maybe we should spend it on a better one.

Definitely TKL is much better choice for the people while PrataMan is for the pappies. I hope when TKL is elected, he will donate a portion of his salary out to show that it is overpaid, including all those ranks that are under him.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope when TKL is elected, he will donate a portion of his salary out to show that it is overpaid, including all those ranks that are under him.<!-- / message -->

Well said! Chances TKL might do that. He said he has enough money and is not contesting for the money.

Hope TKL donate a portion of his salary out to show that it is overpaid, that will be a slap in the face of every minister because it simply showed the ministers are of nothing but greed :biggrin:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure how far he will go as every earthling know our land is unique, with the 66.6%, miracle keep happening.

But for me i will definitely throw in my vote and get each and everyone i know to give full support. After all we have been paying $3-4m each year just for some handshakes, wave, presence at opening ceremonies, charity shows, maybe we should spend it on a better one.

Definitely TKL is much better choice for the people while PrataMan is for the pappies. I hope when TKL is elected, he will donate a portion of his salary out to show that it is overpaid, including all those ranks that are under him.

Choosing a president is not just because of this Lehmann notes issue where he stand out for the people. I think this is a whole new preposition altogether.
Besides, I have always said if TKL wants to be President, first of all please brush up his English on National TV. If not we will be further laughing stock when he speaks overseas.

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
how can out future president has a quiter daughter?

The PAP will use that to wack the living daylight out of him.

Plus, the NTUC saga with Yi Bao, the insurance software company isn't exactly something that can be brought out in the daylight...

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Choosing a president is not just because of this Lehmann notes issue where he stand out for the people. I think this is a whole new preposition altogether.
Besides, I have always said if TKL wants to be President, first of all please brush up his English on National TV. If not we will be further laughing stock when he speaks overseas.

If I am choosing the next President, I choose one with a mission and also able to question the ruling party of their doing. I dun care if he speak good or lousy English, afterall Chinese Premier and President dun too. And can get translator to help.

Nathan is a yes man that was elected to make PAP life easier. That's why all those shit are happening. And he still sitting there ba long long.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nathan is a yes man that was elected to make PAP life easier. That's why all those shit are happening. And he still sitting there ba long long.

Nathan is a drunk that got to be president..listen to the way he speaks...just like a drunk..

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it president choosing time?

Why now? There are so many worrying and pressing issues now and the minibonds crap has not been settled. He hasn't even proven himself in this small task yet.

I smell opportunist.

Z

Zombie

If TKL becomes the president, he should name his memoirs

The Path to Presidency
paved with "anyhow blame"

:biggrin:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I am choosing the next President, I choose one with a mission and also able to question the ruling party of their doing. I dun care if he speak good or lousy English, afterall Chinese Premier and President dun too. And can get translator to help.

Biased roles to be put 1 side. The things you mention above, the mission is not what the President should be doing.

Now we are talking about Presidency and not electing a member into the parliament. :o
A President is like an Ambassador. It's the way he speaks. We don't need someone who can speak Perfect English. But at least speak decently. This is something I feel he should improve on first.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides, I have always said if TKL wants to be President, first of all please brush up his English on National TV. If not we will be further laughing stock when he speaks overseas.<!-- / message -->

How true! He speaks with a strong sinkie accent :(

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Biased roles to be put 1 side. The things you mention above, the mission is not what the President should be doing.

Now we are talking about Presidency and not electing a member into the parliament. :o
A President is like an Ambassador. It's the way he speaks. We don't need someone who can speak Perfect English. But at least speak decently. This is something I feel he should improve on first.

Yeah, that's true. But its not that difficult either. When is the elections gonna be held anyway? 1-2 years away from now? If so, there's enough time to get TKL up to scratch on his command of English.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, that's true. But its not that difficult either. When is the elections gonna be held anyway? 1-2 years away from now? If so, there's enough time to get TKL up to scratch on his command of English.

Who care about his command of English!, but is that all he will champion?, the minibombs etc..

WILL HE DARE DO A CSJ, AND ASK "where is our money", , ASK " THE LONG TERM INVESTMENT IN CITICORP, ABC, STANCAHRT, UBS, ETC.."

WILL HE DARE CHAMPION FOR THE WORKER'S RIGHTS IN TIMES LIKE THESE, ON RETRENCHMENT & OTHER BENEFITS?

:mad: YES?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who care about his command of English!, but is that all he will champion?, the minibombs etc..

WILL HE DARE DO A CSJ, AND ASK "where is our money", , ASK " THE LONG TERM INVESTMENT IN CITICORP, ABC, STANCAHRT, UBS, ETC.."

WILL HE DARE CHAMPION FOR THE WORKER'S RIGHTS IN TIMES LIKE THESE, ON RETRENCHMENT & OTHER BENEFITS?

:mad: YES?

Our Presidency is not like the US Presidency. If he proves he's up to scratch and if he gets through the vetting process- and then somehow win, it'd be a good setback for the PAP.

Still, the Presidency has not many in terms of the scope of powers. And he has to remain impartial, at least in appearances. Therefore his win is a powerful symbolic win, but not a total one as well.

I think its clear that if we have to champion the rights of the employees and people, then the real power lies in winning more seats in Parliament. Winning the presidency, if TKL can go through all of that, is just the beginning, not the end. In short, its about building a foundation for greater, later success.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMHO Tan Ah Lian, who gets my vote over Prataman anyday, announced his presidential intention too early.

He is, no doubt, a high profile person but he has as many detractors as he does supporters...

He should have taken on a couple more social/financial issues at Hong Lim before asking for the petition. In any case, I will vote for him.