• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'Revelations' from SDP EGM last night

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee Is Merely Testing The Water

As mentioned by some in this forum, CSJ has a personal axe to grind with the PAP leadership. As a result he has lost his objectivity and might I add, his judgment and sanity as well. Before the blunders he made in the last few days, most people were already wary of him. Now, his political career is done for. The SDP ought to eject him asap.

Chee has not really understood the ground sentiments and eagerness to fight PAP. Perhaps, there are quite a number of people who are so anxious to take revenge on PAP as well. So, it's not just him alone. He wants to air his view and plans, but the people in general are not giving him the support to put him in the parliament which he desires so much in his lifetime.

Anyway, the suggestion was an arrangement to put his best man to whack PAP in the parliament. This is an additional firepower. WP Low will not allow his men to whack. And again, nothing. They will continue to warm those seats until the next election.

Sinkies had read too much into it. Even if WP wins an additional SMC, what can they do ? They did nothing but endorsing PAP's policies and to second their salaries instead. Sometimes, I wonder which side you are in.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're wrong. No excuses - I call a spade a spade.

And I mean it when I say CSJ has no political acumen whatsoever. He boo-booed big time. Is that a compliment?

If you are a party member of a staunch supporter then I would say that you would be doing yourself and SDP a favour by at the very least adding your voice to the view that CSJ should go on a two-year sabbatical to the States or somewhere. His party can then attempt to recover in his absence, and he can return as an ordinary CEC member. That's my suggestion.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may be right in saying so. But I suspect he's also a determined and stubborn man. If he had accepted counsel from the start, he would not be in the predicament he is in today. He could've risen to the forthfront of our opposition politics had he listened, and felt the pulse of the electorate.

Agree he may be stubborn. Determined he definitely he is, to bounce back from one setback after another.

Then again, he listened to the counsel of Sin, Ling and Cheo, and see where that got him?

I'm convinced more than ever that EQ and political intelligence cannot be acquired. You either have it or you don't.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
That is one thing. But what is far more disturbing is the number of apparently SDP supporters who keep on harping on the "arrogance" of WP. So I don't know whether it's CSJ wanting to get at the PAP, or whether it's CSJ wanting to get at WP, or both. He's apparently not realising that many people out there can see through his bullshit on "opposition unity" in a few seconds.

Don't over-analyse it bro. It takes all kinds to make the world. I don't understand how pple can support the PAP, or the SDP, etc. But I left it at that, whatever turns them on.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are a party member of a staunch supporter then I would say that you would be doing yourself and SDP a favour by at the very least adding your voice to the view that CSJ should go on a two-year sabbatical to the States or somewhere. His party can then attempt to recover in his absence, and he can return as an ordinary CEC member. That's my suggestion.

Not a member, just an opposition supporter leaning towards liberal parties like SDP and RP (one-time supporter of JBJ's WP).

We may agree to disagree: I feel CSJ has a valuable role to play within the party, and I believe he still has many people loyal to him because he is a fair and democratic leader.

I just don't think he's cut out for strategy. That can be remedied by a team of wise counsellors.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
[FONT=&amp]Lina Loh to Lianhe Zaobao on Chee-Chiam rift: Chiam was being forced out of SDP

[/FONT] In her first ever interview with the mainstream media, the wife of veteran opposition leader Mr Chiam See Tong, Ms Lina Loh revealed that Mr Chiam was forced out of the Singapore Democratic Party he founded in 1980.

Ms Loh contacted Lianhe Zaobao herself after reading the Zaobao interview with Dr Chee Soon Juan which was published on 28 February 2010.

Dr Chee was quoted as saying in the interview that he tried to stop Mr Chiam from leaving SDP to no avail, but was disputed by Ms Loh who said it is only “half the story.”

Ms Loh was interviewed together with former SDP CEC member and current Singapore People Party’s Chairman Mr Sin Kek Tong by Lianhe Zaobao journalist Ms Yew Lun Tian.

She sneered at Dr Chee’s claims that he had wanted Mr Chiam to stay.

“If he really wanted to keep Mr Chiam, he coulld well reject the position of the Secretary-General or object to his expulsion when the CEC moved a motion to do so,” she was quoted as saying in Lianhe Zaobao.

During that critical disciplinary proceedings taken against Mr Chiam, only one out of 13 CEC members objected to Mr Chiam’s expulsion. Another one abstain.

Mr Chiam had been hauled up for disciplinary action by SDP CEC for criticizing Dr Chee Soon Juan’s hungry strike in the media. The latter had done so to protest against his “unfair” sacking from NUS for “misusing” research funds.

Ms Loh revealed that Mr Chiam had threatened to resign from his position as Secretary-General in a fit of anger and was amenable to mediation between the two camps spearheaded by Mr Sin.

As Mr Chiam was heading towards the political oblivion as being sacked from SDP would mean he lose his parliamentary seat as well, Mr Sin founded the Singapore People’s Party in 1994 which Mr Chiam eventually joined later in the year.

Ms Loh stressed that her decision to be interviewed is not to bad-mouth Dr Chee or to argue with him.

“I am only saying the truth for my husband to let the younger generation to understand Uncle Chiam, I need to step forward to clarify that he did not abandon SDP, when we were forced to leave, we were in so much pain in our hearts,” she said.

Mr Chiam’s acrimonious departure from SDP marked the beginning of its decline. After reaching dazzling heights during the 1991 general election when it won an unprecedented 3 seats, it would go on to lose all its seats in the 1997 election.

Though Dr Chee has perservered against all odds to keep the party together in the face of crippling defamation lawsuits launched against it by PAP leaders, it is unlikely that SDP will regain its former glory again.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm convinced more than ever that EQ and political intelligence cannot be acquired. You either have it or you don't.

I'd say that talent means that you can learn EQ / political intelligence. It's possible to learn a lot about politics just by reading books. CSJ doesn't have time to read books? Study history? Follow election campaigns? Or maybe he just learns the wrong lessons from history?

He reminds me a bit of Noam Chomsky, a brilliant linguist who - from the looks of how he's always attacking the US government on anything and everything - doesn't seem to realise how political systems actually work. Although this comparison is a bit of an insult to Noam Chomsky.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'd say that talent means that you can learn EQ / political intelligence. It's possible to learn a lot about politics just by reading books. CSJ doesn't have time to read books? Study history? Follow election campaigns? Or maybe he just learns the wrong lessons from history?

I, on the other hand, believe talent is innate. You can read a lot of books, you can learn some lessons from history, sure, but political smarts are largely innate but honed by experience. It's similar to commonsense, which many professors and PhDs lack.

If you don't have the talent for singing, all the bathroom singing and coaching in the world will not make you an American Idol winner.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a member, just an opposition supporter leaning towards liberal parties like SDP and RP (one-time supporter of JBJ's WP).

We may agree to disagree: I feel CSJ has a valuable role to play within the party, and I believe he still has many people loyal to him because he is a fair and democratic leader.

I just don't think he's cut out for strategy. That can be remedied by a team of wise counsellors.

I would not doubt is speaking abilities, nor his writing, nor his analysis. Strategy is a different issue.
The main issue however is the man's desire for the centre-stage and his impatience. These unfortunately
almost always get him unstuck.

Anyway, I won't say more on this. I hope he reflects and withdraws to reflect even more.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't over-analyse it bro. It takes all kinds to make the world. I don't understand how pple can support the PAP, or the SDP, etc. But I left it at that, whatever turns them on.

My vision for opposition unity is: you snatch a few seats from the PAP, I snatch a few seats from the PAP, then we'll sit down and talk. If you have nothing to trade, then keep your head down and continue working.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My vision for opposition unity is: you snatch a few seats from the PAP, I snatch a few seats from the PAP, then we'll sit down and talk. If you have nothing to trade, then keep your head down and continue working.

Another vision is: let's sit down and talk. You take this area, I take this place, he take that area. Together we deny PAP a 2/3 majority. If we get a simple 50% + 1 majority, we form a coalition govt.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another vision is: let's sit down and talk. You take this area, I take this place, he take that area. Together we deny PAP a 2/3 majority. If we get a simple 50% + 1 majority, we form a coalition govt.

That is not "another vision" That is a different aspect of the same vision.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is not "another vision" That is a different aspect of the same vision.

Nope. You're talking about trading and negotiating, when 2 or more parties already have seats. I'm talking about now, when only WP has seats. All parties – seats or no seats – co-operate together to go for a 1/3 or even a majority win in 2016. As an alliance.

Seems tough, but doable.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope. You're talking about trading and negotiating, when 2 or more parties already have seats. I'm talking about now, when only WP has seats. All parties – seats or no seats – co-operate together to go for a 1/3 or even a majority win in 2016. As an alliance.

Seems tough, but doable.

Anyway - the good news is that the way that FPTP works, if the PAP's share of the votes in a general election goes down to 55%, then they will lose anywhere from 20 to 33 seats. That is the good news. The "bad" news - in this scenario, WP will probably take the lion's share of these seats, and a lot of opposition parties will miss their seats by less than 5%. So it's not as though this "opposition unity" issues are something abstract and far in the future.

The sad part is that we have proven that we don't really know how to handle these issues. Not even Mr "silence is golden" Low Thia Khiang.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The sad part is that we have proven that we don't really know how to handle these issues. Not even Mr "silence is golden" Low Thia Khiang.

Agree that opposition unity is not something abstract and unreachable.

Problem is: are our opposition leaders and supporters willing to put aside their 'beggar thy neighbour' mentality and come together for the greater good – to oust a tyrannical government?

Are our voters mature enough to want to see and support an opposition alliance? Or do they prefer bickering over 'my dad's bigger than your dad'?

My observations are rather pessimistic: we are not ready for unity. So let the battle begin in GE2016 and let the fittest survive. If it means that only 1 or 2 opposition parties will survive to face the behemoth incumbent, so be it.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No acumen means no acumen lah. 40 years also no use. You think LTK's shrewdness can be taught or trained with time?

i like to think a person shd be able to learn from his own living experience so as to not to screw up later in life. was ltk shrewdness from birth? i wont know as i dunno his life b4 1991. i would think his current political awareness came from learning from others and his own previous experience against the pap.

Last edited:

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
397981_10151246495122572_419710162_n.jpg

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Yellow

I have wished for the SDP to be a bit more like the WP and the WP needing some degree of professionalism as put forth by the SDP,

Chee's flaw, fatal flaw is IMHO listening to the wrong sort of people, surrounding yourself with NGO activists and ISA detainees entails creating the sort of liberal echo chamber resulting in the present debacle,

WP needs the SDP base, but SDP needs the WP base and both need some of the PAP voters, If u want 50.1 it means moving to the centre always has and always will, If you are to far left for the electorate then u are to far left and no amount of professional spin will help or change that.

That poor chap sees the example of the win by the WP and wants that for himself but it entails doing certain things in a certain manner which contradicts the core beliefs of himself and his group and its hard to unprogramme ones internal software.

Michelle is now busy selling hammer, temple dinners, and doing MPS with the WP, She will soon find herself two years before the next GE knocking on every door in a targeted constituency burning weekend notes and weekday notes. Ever wondered why all new recruits are put through such a screening process ?

My hope for the SDP is not CSJ but VW, PT and AGY for they have less of the baggage and angst n hopefully more of the clear calculation needed to prosper in politics in singapore

Locke

QUOTE=yellowarse;1374193]Not a member, just an opposition supporter leaning towards liberal arties like SDP and RP (one-time supporter of JBJ's WP).

I just don't think he's cut out for strategy. That can be remedied by a team of wise counsellors.[/QUOTE]