• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
halsey02 said:
Neon Billboard(s)....the one on top of Cathay Cinema... advertising Toray, the hammer & anvil man, of Lam Soon Oil, togther with the ones for Craven 69, Abdullah Cigarettes, Beiklin ( Beiklin for Vitality) at Eu Tong Seng Street or the huge National at Capitol Cinema Crapark...and that Pink Pussy Cat Orhcard Rd..

The National neon billboard was supposed to be the largest or tallest in the world, rivalling surrounding buildings such as St. Andrew Cathedral.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Where Is It ?

I recall the stalls there were specially selected. Meaning, the best of the best food there only. I remember the goreng pisang stall, Lim Kee. Temasek Beer Gdn just next to it. Heard William Scorpion sang there.

Despite the fanfare and specially selected stalls, the food there was not really that great. I myself cannot recall much about it and I have been there countless times.

Doubblur

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nat Theatre was where the pop groups would perform when they came....eg rolling stones, tremeloes, middle of the road.

Nowadays they usually perform at the indoor stadium or expo venues.

Rolling Stones played at National Theatre? Never heard of. Rolling Stones played at Badminton Hall, Lorong 22 Geylang. That one funny with Chinese lion dance music opening for western rock band music. Fullhouse overflowed and cramped. In the end wall collapsed and we all ran!

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

there also used to be an open air makan place near and between where the Cable and Wireless building is and the old Sinkiepoor Poly.

We used to go there and have dinner when my dad got his salary at the end of the month.

This is just further down from Clifford Pier along Shenton Way.

And the open air hawker centre under Thompson flyover. It was always a funny sight for a young boy like me back then to see a hawker centre under a bridge.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

yes i was there many times for the performances....sometimes free....just go on the slope.

Sorry couldnt reply earlier but i couldnt login for a few hours.

Gosh!, you remember those concerts, Christies, Marmalade, Bee Gees, middle of the road, yucks!, "where you mother gone ( repeat), repeat...wowee! chirpy, chirpy cheep cheep" and their Beautiful Sunday sung in so many languages and dialects make me cringe!. Sam Hui Concert, the girls shouting "SAM, SAM, SAM ( not the current SBF Sam!), and banging the car carrying Sam to the venue.

The afternoon rock or pop concert, "Black Dog Bone" etc and the various CULTURAL SHOWS, was it Count Basie I attnened his concert there, the youngest audience at that time, amongst the sea of adults ( Free ticket) that started my love for Jazz music.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

ok ok yes...now i remember..1965 or 1966. Ya many ang mo teenagers. The wall collapsed and big ruckus. Next day shit times showed a pic of some

ang mo girls crying....cry cos of wall collapsing or cry cos hero worshipping Mick Jagger i cant recall.

Rolling Stones played at National Theatre? Never heard of. Rolling Stones played at Badminton Hall, Lorong 22 Geylang. That one funny with Chinese lion dance music opening for western rock band music. Fullhouse overflowed and cramped. In the end wall collapsed and we all ran!

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

this was the one near the Tay Koh Yat bus terminal betul tak bro?

And the open air hawker centre under Thompson flyover. It was always a funny sight for a young boy like me back then to see a hawker centre under a bridge.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I don't think so. Tay Koh Yat was long gone by the time this hawker centre came up. This was under the PIE flyovers next to Thomson Rd. The area is now a heavy vehicle park of sorts.

this was the one near the Tay Koh Yat bus terminal betul tak bro?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I don't think so. Tay Koh Yat was long gone by the time this hawker centre came up. This was under the PIE flyovers next to Thomson Rd. The area is now a heavy vehicle park of sorts.

That's right. Nevre seen any Tay Koh Yat bus in my lifetime, so that must be more than 40 years ago.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

ah ok...havent been around this area much since late 70s so not familiar with the developments there. Thanks.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

Tay Koh Yat was a millionaire who lost his entire bus fleet in a night of poker to another millionaire Tan Lark Sai.

Some of the older and more informed bros here could verify and add info?

That's right. Nevre seen any Tay Koh Yat bus in my lifetime, so that must be more than 40 years ago.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal

this name tan lark sai, rings a bell. heard of him when i was a kid, what does he do?

Tay Koh Yat was a millionaire who lost his entire bus fleet in a night of poker to another millionaire Tan Lark Sai.

Some of the older and more informed bros here could verify and add info?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

i dont know what he did to make his money...whether import/export or what...but this guy was damned loaded but gave lots to charity.
Had a big bungalow on the east coast by the beach. The house still around i think.
this name tan lark sai, rings a bell. heard of him when i was a kid, what does he do?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

He and other overseas chinese businessmen started the first university for chinese in Singapore - Nayang University. Arghhhhhh i wasted my epic 3000th post to educate you!!!!!! :mad: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

hahahaah bang...never mind la. 3000th post doing a service ...best la .

He and other overseas chinese businessmen started the first university for chinese in Singapore - Nayang University. Arghhhhhh i wasted my epic 3000th post to educate you!!!!!! :mad: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal

don't like that lah, i tank giu from the bottom of my heart...

i dont know what he did to make his money...whether import/export or what...but this guy was damned loaded but gave lots to charity.
Had a big bungalow on the east coast by the beach. The house still around i think.

the reason i ask was i remember my father telling my mum about this tan guy. talking about east coast, there used to be a hotel in the upper east coast,if i remember, what's the hotel name? quite grand and i think its location is upper east coast.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C

is this the one at the east coast road/still road junction? Cant remember the name at the moment bro. The only other big hotel in the east at that time was Sea View Hotel.

the reason i ask was i remember my father telling my mum about this tan guy. talking about east coast, there used to be a hotel in the upper east coast,if i remember, what's the hotel name? quite grand and i think its location is upper east coast.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ok ok yes...now i remember..1965 or 1966. Ya many ang mo teenagers. The wall collapsed and big ruckus. Next day shit times showed a pic of some

ang mo girls crying....cry cos of wall collapsing or cry cos hero worshipping Mick Jagger i cant recall.

My my, guys, you all are really that old. I wasn't even born yet. I first time I watched a Rolling Stones concert was actually a movie of their Still Life concert screened at old Cathay cinema. The one and only time I watched a Rolling Stones concert live was their Voodoo Lounge concert at Oakland Colosseum, courtesy of complimentary ticket given to my boss. No horses to run and contest with Mick Jagger and Keith Richard in terms of live concert. Simply the best.