• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

remember these places ?

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since we're on this old places thread. I like to go off tangent a bit, anybody remember what was the name of the electronics shop at Holland V that never fails to advertise its electronic products weekly in the straits times?

Was it Parisilk ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Malay. If alive, should be late 70s. Yes, Pavilion. In front of the bus stop and one kpt. Noodle stall was bagus. Bibi & Baba was further down the road. Good and cheap. But, Amco, Wrangler, Lee and Texwood were THE brands.

Memory already slipping, wasn't Bibi Baba within the bus stop where Pavillion was? Bibi Baba or the shop name is still around, they are at first floor Shaw Centre, left to the up riding escaltor together with that Tailor Shop I forgot the name, where the shop guy once had black hairs on his head is now snow white. Time really have flown.

Amco, Wrangler, Texwood & Lee I have one of each of them clothing, but I prefer LEE ( not that Lee) Jeans. Lee Vice (Levis) buy from that famous mama shop basement Peninsular Shopping Centre. But with a limited budget back then , it was mostly LEE, but Chinese Lunar New Year must buy a pair ( it was custom back then) to show off lah!.

Bibi Baba used to designed their own shirts & T shirts for sale, but I make some casuals at Justman, when I come across big pile of moolah! back then. There was this shop at Tangling Shopping Centre, where they sell T-shirts with funny messages akin to what we have today, and you can design your own and get it printed. ( silk screen, right)!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was it Parisilk ?

Parisilk was at Transit Road ( correct?) outside Nee Soon Camp, those who did their NS at Nee Soon Camp & the old School of Signals, & Sembawag airbase or Depp Barracks ( same as Johnny Depp) will know this shop.

Cost Plus was at the basement of Scotts , am I correct to say, it was owned by the Jumaboys? It was the first Electronics emporium back then, used to buy cheap calculators, VHS tapes ( remember those) etc. It was the "harvey norman" of our time, and it closed and was converted into a food court. There were few food courts in Orchard Road then, there was another at Forum Galleria, it was on the was it 3rd or 4th floor, and it moved to the basment, don't think it is there now. Subway niche is at the basment there, used to like their sandwiches.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The notorious lap sap bar the was CHOP KIM CHUAN aka as CKC Bar, MOSCOW Bar, Sing Sing Sing.
Happy Hours - two large Anchor beers for only $7/-.
Touch touch extra to pay.
A tip of $1/ was a big sum then.
Walls were infested with tiny Cockroaches, as it fed on ejaculated sperm targetted at the walls.
Bro; you been to the Singapura Bar at SeLegie house ?; that was one of the hottest during my time..once the
Lights-off at 11.45pm, many customers wouLd miLLing around downstairs awaiting to see if their chye have any
bf's to pick them up; or some were waiting just out of curiousity how his girLs actuaLLy Looked !
:wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one of the guys who used to work at justman left and started Man's Creations at Tanglin Mall.....name is Ron.....i went there a few times to make pants.

Still making pants there? There was this tailor shop called Mister Guy ( if you people could remember) at Peninisular Shopping Centre, second floor, where La vanita & was it Oscar Tailor, I used to make shirts & pants from, when young. Once in a while, I would indulge in Justman or CYC. It closed at Peninsular shopping Centre & I thought it had closed for good, when one day browsing around Far East Plaza, where Han's is, I rediscovered the shop & still runned by the same guy. I made a coupld of shirts from him and that was a few years back, and he closed the tailor shop for good. This guy, was it Albert his name, during the Penisular Shopping Centre days, used to race his fast cars in the 'illegal' fast & furious race in town!:biggrin:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya i remember Mister Guy as well. My friend worked briefly for him i think...or mebbe was just helping out.

Ron is still there the last time i walked around there. But the old man who was his partner i think up lorry already. He was already old in the mid 70s.

Still making pants there? There was this tailor shop called Mister Guy ( if you people could remember) at Peninisular Shopping Centre, second floor, where La vanita & was it Oscar Tailor, I used to make shirts & pants from, when young. Once in a while, I would indulge in Justman or CYC. It closed at Peninsular shopping Centre & I thought it had closed for good, when one day browsing around Far East Plaza, where Han's is, I rediscovered the shop & still runned by the same guy. I made a coupld of shirts from him and that was a few years back, and he closed the tailor shop for good. This guy, was it Albert his name, during the Penisular Shopping Centre days, used to race his fast cars in the 'illegal' fast & furious race in town!:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ya i remember Mister Guy as well. My friend worked briefly for him i think...or mebbe was just helping out.

Ron is still there the last time i walked around there. But the old man who was his partner i think up lorry already. He was already old in the mid 70s.

I pass Man's Creation but I have not made any thing from that shop. Since you are familar with that part of the 'woods', there are a few long time shops there, Gope the one that distribute Nikon Cameras, The Nikimoto Pearl ( wonder if they are still around), Stepples Deli, the shop that sells Maps, a shop that sells Lingerie ( later sold vibrators etc), Hassan Carpets, Nah Tailor & Mr.O'dell the VHS video shop that rents, movies that one could not get in SINgapore, until the internet came along & Mr. O'dell passes away; he would speak to his wife in his accented English & his wife would reply in Cantonese.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
dont recall all that much about this bro....i was ok with ron because we had mutual friends. So when he moved from justman i brought my business to

him. I'd chat and bum around his shop if he wasnt too busy but after that i would just take the bus back home or to work.

I pass Man's Creation but I have not made any thing from that shop. Since you are familar with that part of the 'woods', there are a few long time shops there, Gope the one that distribute Nikon Cameras, The Nikimoto Pearl ( wonder if they are still around), Stepples Deli, the shop that sells Maps, a shop that sells Lingerie ( later sold vibrators etc), Hassan Carpets, Nah Tailor & Mr.O'dell the VHS video shop that rents, movies that one could not get in SINgapore, until the internet came along & Mr. O'dell passes away; he would speak to his wife in his accented English & his wife would reply in Cantonese.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont recall all that much about this bro....i was ok with ron because we had mutual friends. So when he moved from justman i brought my business to

him. I'd chat and bum around his shop if he wasnt too busy but after that i would just take the bus back home or to work.

Then you won't remember the shops that sells food opposite the road, now demolished? the Malay food, Dong Log Wee etc??

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Memory already slipping, wasn't Bibi Baba within the bus stop where Pavillion was? Bibi Baba or the shop name is still around, they are at first floor Shaw Centre, left to the up riding escaltor together with that Tailor Shop I forgot the name, where the shop guy once had black hairs on his head is now snow white. Time really have flown.

Amco, Wrangler, Texwood & Lee I have one of each of them clothing, but I prefer LEE ( not that Lee) Jeans. Lee Vice (Levis) buy from that famous mama shop basement Peninsular Shopping Centre. But with a limited budget back then , it was mostly LEE, but Chinese Lunar New Year must buy a pair ( it was custom back then) to show off lah!.

Bibi Baba used to designed their own shirts & T shirts for sale, but I make some casuals at Justman, when I come across big pile of moolah! back then. There was this shop at Tangling Shopping Centre, where they sell T-shirts with funny messages akin to what we have today, and you can design your own and get it printed. ( silk screen, right)!

Yup, they are now selling school uniforms at Shaw Centre.

Justman expensive tailor shop. I used to tailor mine at Jong Mee, also expensive shop. Hardly wear tailored pants these days. Always in bermudas.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yup, they are now selling school uniforms at Shaw Centre.

Justman expensive tailor shop. I used to tailor mine at Jong Mee, also expensive shop. Hardly wear tailored pants these days. Always in bermudas.

I thought you only wear boxers, for you spend a lot of time, parading your 'family jewels' to the Ah Mei's etc? ha ha ha ha :biggrin: Jong Mee are they still around? there was a Zee Fatt Tailor at North Bridge Rd if you remember. There were cheapo times, when the wallet is quite empty, we used to make our shirts and pants from a Malay Tailor at the old Geylang Serai. What we used to do was bring CQ magazine where we liked the design, and show the Malay Tailor what we want. The same with the shoes we see on CQ, show it to the shoemaker near where Rendezous is at Bras Basah Road. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AMCO has returned. There's an AMCO shop at Citysquare Mall.

I remember the good old advert song that went...every Amco tells a story, every Amco tells a a story in style.

Cost Plus. They were also at Scotts.

There was a a record store opposite Cost Plus. Original records and cassettes only, no pirates. They always posted and updated the Billboard charts every week on the wall. Me and schoolmates when passing by always went up there to check out what were the top ten songs and top ten albums of the week, then went to New World to buy from pirates. :biggrin:

Last edited:

blurblob

Since we're on this old places thread. I like to go off tangent a bit, anybody remember what was the name of the electronics shop at Holland V that never fails to advertise its electronic products weekly in the straits times?

It is Goh Sin Huat.

Anyone remember Hai Yan Ge Ju Yuan in Orchard Road? Live singing, live band but all in Chinese.