• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recession in 2013?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Added to the above, SIA is not Singapore, and it's profitability and those of individual companies, share counters if you like, are just part of the economy of the whole of Singapore. Your yardstick as examples are not sufficient enough to say whether we are about to go into recession or otherwise. There are many factors to take into consideration which economists use as indicators.

Don't get me wrong, I never say we are or not going into a recession. I am arguing on the points you raised.

obviously SIA is not Singapore..but do you think SIA is a relatively good proxy of SG? like I said recession is the cumulative effects of various factors.

i reiterate that we will likely see a SG recession in 2013.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
good to see that arrivals have increased in apr 2011/ mar 2012.

so you figure i was wrong?

Your take on SIA losing profitibility should not be representative of cargo movements as there are many cargo airlines operating here. Neither that of NOL nor SATS either.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your take on SIA losing profitibility should not be representative of cargo movements as there are many cargo airlines operating here. Neither that of NOL nor SATS either.

i foresee SIA cargo to lose money this year. I think there is a good possibility that SIA may be in the red this year.

NOL's red is almost a foregone conclusion.

If Israel attacks Iran and USA goes over the cliff, SG is a goner.

even without Middle East crisis, USA problems and euro uncertainties, i think there is a good chance that SG will go into recession.

why are we paying so much for rubblsh? the pap is totally sleeping and ineffective

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
women , wine and gambling, in that order?

I must have revealed too much of myself in this forum. Yes, if you count stock speculation as gambling, you have my order correct. I lost big time in 2008 doing a Temasek/Ho Ching (buy high sell low), since then I've cut down drastically on stock speculation.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I must have revealed too much of myself in this forum. Yes, if you count stock speculation as gambling, you have my order correct. I lost big time in 2008 doing a Temasek/Ho Ching (buy high sell low), since then I've cut down drastically on stock speculation.

it's very dangerous to speculate on stocks.

the only winners are the remisiers. the retail players noramally end up carrying the baby

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i foresee SIA cargo to lose money this year. I think there is a good possibility that SIA may be in the red this year.

NOL's red is almost a foregone conclusion.

If Israel attacks Iran and USA goes over the cliff, SG is a goner.

even without Middle East crisis, USA problems and euro uncertainties, i think there is a good chance that SG will go into recession.

why are we paying so much for rubblsh? the pap is totally sleeping and ineffective

There are always opportunities in the face of adversities. Rather than talking about events beyond our control, is it not better to prepare ourselves for the bad times while looking ahead and doing something for ourselves to make our circumstances better.

There are many wealthy people who are fleeing their own countries searching for safe refuge here. Many locals are enriching themselves and many local companies are expanding and performing well despite all those uncertainties and economic problems we face as a nation. When one company is having problems in attaining profitability this year it may not be the same for next year as long as they are not bankrupt.

There is no reason to go round saying the sky is falling for what good can there be by being negative?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are always opportunities in the face of adversities. Rather than talking about events beyond our control, is it not better to prepare ourselves for the bad times while looking ahead and doing something for ourselves to make our circumstances better.

There are many wealthy people who are fleeing their own countries searching for safe refuge here. Many locals are enriching themselves and many local companies are expanding and performing well despite all those uncertainties and economic problems we face as a nation. When one company is having problems in attaining profitability this year it may not be the same for next year as long as they are not bankrupt.

There is no reason to go round saying the sky is falling for what good can there be by being negative?

I am ok and I will not be affected by the recession. Whether there will be recession next year, life for me will still be the same.

But i feel for other Singaporeans.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Won't happen because of the 80k to 100k FT cushion.

On FT reform, this is only likely to start in 2014/2015, ahead of the crucial 2016. In line with what happened last time, I expect the number to be cut to to the long term sustainable rate of 40k to 60k.

There is great expectation and hope that the external environment will be benign by then and the cut will be possible.

In the event that the external environment is hostile, I expect them to retain 80k to 100k immigration figure and find other ways to manage the anti-FT sentiment.

i reiterate that we will likely see a SG recession in 2013.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Won't happen because of the 80k to 100k FT cushion.

On FT reform, this is only likely to start in 2014/2015, ahead of the crucial 2016. In line with what happened last time, I expect the number to be cut to to the long term sustainable rate of 40k to 60k.

There is great expectation and hope that the external environment will be benign by then and the cut will be possible.

In the event that the external environment is hostile, I expect them to retain 80k to 100k immigration figure and find other ways to manage the anti-FT sentiment.

interesting..thks