• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recession in 2013?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think OLAM in itself wont precipitate any recession even if it has serious problems....but it could be indicative that all is not well.

yes, OLAM by itself is not a problem...

but when I said "all these.." it includes, OLAM, SIA selling Virgin stake, possibilty of SIA suffering 1st yearly loss, NOL bleeding, reduced tourist arrivals to SG, decreased trade volumes, MBS and Genting reduced profits, potential property mkt crash, reduced sales receipts, etc.

do all the above indicate impending recession in 2013?

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you sure you know enough to make that statement?

Business Times, 5 Dec:

"Singapore's manufacturing sector contracted in November from the previous month, supporting the view that the economy may slip into a mild technical recession in the fourth quarter."

slowly but surely, the pap is acknowledging that we are not doing well

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The pap is trying to put on a brave front.

The following show that a recession is likely for Singpore in 2013:

3. SIA cargo is flying half empty planes and is losing money

Despite the glitter, Singapore is not doing well.

So when will the pap finally tell the truth abt the bad economic situation in SG?

Are you sure you know enough to make that statement?

Business Times, 5 Dec:

"Singapore's manufacturing sector contracted in November from the previous month, supporting the view that the economy may slip into a mild technical recession in the fourth quarter."

slowly but surely, the pap is acknowledging that we are not doing well

Apparently you don't read very well. My question was about whether you know enough about cargo airlines operation to state "SIA cargo is flying half empty planes" and I clearly highlighted it for you to see.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apparently you don't read very well. My question was about whether you know enough about cargo airlines operation to state "SIA cargo is flying half empty planes" and I clearly highlighted it for you to see.

Recession is abt the fall in GDP. Fall in cargoes ferried, fall in tourist arrivals, reduction in retail sales, etc by itself does not mean recession.

It's the cumulative effect of all factors that result in recession.

so if SIA reports that its cargo fleet is losing money does it not mean that recession is a possibility?

if pap reports that manufacturing output declines does it not point to the possibilty of a recession?

if satellite pics show less ships are passing through SG, does it not mean less trade?

if SATs show that passenger meals ordered per flight is falling, does it not mean there is less demand?

you need to see the big picture rather than argue from a myopic view.

My thread here asks whether there will be a recession in 2013. It's a question, not a statement of fact. so you can disagree and if you are solid enough, show why you disagree. we can all learn from you.

You need to get away from the confrontational mode and be more humble. It's good for your health and well being.

Just say your piece and your views...no need to insist that you are right and be upset when someone disagrees with you.

if you think that SIA cargo is flying fully filled and is making money, and I was wrong to ask whether SG will run into a recession in 2103, just rebuke my point with objective facts and figures and no need to get emotionally worked-up and sulk throughout.

Last edited:

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if you think that SIA cargo is flying fully filled and is making money, and I was wrong to ask whether SG will run into a recession in 2103, just rebuke my point with objective facts and figures and no need to get emotionally worked-up and sulk throughout.

I am not upset nor worked up nor sulk as you claim. I am debating on the points 1 - 6 that you stated. Nothing personal. I just want you to be accurate and not shoot your mouth about things you know nothing about and use that to support your claims. Let me explain a little. No airline will fly a plane half-filled with cargo. They probably will offload to another airline or reduce the number of flights to the destination.

Since you use the BT as a reference, I post below CAG's Annual Report.

Changi Airport Group releases FY2011/12 Annual Report

SINGAPORE, 14 September 2012 – Changi Airport Group (CAG) today released its
annual report for the financial year ended 31 March 2012 (FY11/12). CAG closed the
year, its third post-corporatisation, with a strong set of operating results, notwithstanding
the uncertain global economic outlook and a challenging operating environment marked
by high fuel prices, political uncertainties in the Middle East and the earthquake which hit
Japan in March 2011.

“During the financial year, CAG achieved breakthrough on both the aeronautical and nonaeronautical fronts, registering all-time highs for passenger traffic and retail sales at
Changi Airport. Together with our partners and the airport community, we strengthened
our core capabilities and built on our fundamentals to develop a strong air hub, achieve
robust commercial operations and deliver an award-winning airport experience,” said Mr
Lee Seow Hiang, Chief Executive Officer of CAG.

In FY11/12, Changi Airport scaled a significant milestone with its handling of a record 48
million passenger movements, an increase of 12% compared to the previous year.
Despite a slowing global economy, the Group’s efforts to grow new routes and increase
flight frequencies – through closer collaboration with airlines partners and intensified
marketing initiatives – came to fruition. Six new city links and four new airlines were
added, augmenting Changi’s position as one of the world’s most connected air hubs.
Passenger traffic growth remained healthy across all regions, in particular Asia-Pacific,
led by double-digit growth in Southeast Asia and Northeast Asia.

Steady demand for air freight in the Asia Pacific region enabled Changi Airport to deliver
a positive report card for its cargo operations during the financial year. Some 1.87 million tonnes of cargo were handled during FY11/12, an increase of 2.3% compared to the
previous year. One of the 10 busiest international airfreight hubs in the world today.
Changi has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1981, when it handled only
180,000 tonnes of cargo.

http://www.changiairportgroup.com/export/sites/caas/assets/media_release_2012/Media_Release_-_Changi_Airport_Group_Releases_11-12_Annual_Report_14_Sep_2012_web.pdf

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Added to the above, SIA is not Singapore, and it's profitability and those of individual companies, share counters if you like, are just part of the economy of the whole of Singapore. Your yardstick as examples are not sufficient enough to say whether we are about to go into recession or otherwise. There are many factors to take into consideration which economists use as indicators.

Don't get me wrong, I never say we are or not going into a recession. I am arguing on the points you raised.

Last edited: