• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queenstown Today

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal

A sad reminder of a rundown building that is going to be torn and make way for a new gen design. $$$ profit for fascist HDB too.

Nike+Human+Race+2009+at+Queensway+Shopping+Centre.jpg
queenstownlibrary1.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After thosai I had my favourite wonton mee. Very old style wontons and the noodles very QQ and good taste.

f8719038.jpg

193b8cf9.jpg

Cost $2.50 ; $3.00 ; $3.50 - I took the $3.00

d36247f7.jpg

Added another $1.00 of wonton

Wah Lan Eh. The wonton noodle pics are really torturing me now. Very jialat, feel like making a trip home now.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Cams Are Harder = Kodak +

Oh I LOVE YOU Conqueror! Where the hell did you get these 大衆 photos?

6a00d834525fff69e20133f49d787e970b-800wi

library-old.jpg

Just Google in "Images" mode on the left selection instead of "Everything". Plenty of images to choose from. Nowadays, taking photos in digital format is so cheap. The people in 'ancient' time must take a lot of effort, time and money especially just to capture them for history sake. Film cameras weren't cheap or easy to use either. Wrong selection means all that you take were over exposed or under exposed not like today you can actually preview your take before capturing or choose to delete and re-take again.

6133145506_accba56c06.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Re: Old Cams Are Harder = Kodak +

This is a song specially dedicated to you Conqueror. Thank you.

[video=youtube;yX77K560rHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX77K560rHs&feature=related[/video]

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The ba'mee mee mee lueang haeng in Thailand in various versions are better than most wanton mee or bak cho' versions in Singapore. But if it's wanton or dumpling soup you're craving for, yes I agree, a bit hard to find in Thailand. Phuket has a good Chinese-Singapore style coffeeshop near Patong Beach 5 minutes walking from Soi Bangla opposite to the left. You'd think you'd arrived back in Singapore by the ambience except that they speak Thai. They serve good wanton mee and satay, Singapore-Chinese style but don't worry, still at Thai price. :smile: The lady boss is very pretty, friendly and chatty. But I ran out of time to properly court her on my last visit. :(

Last edited:

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
YES! In the past many illegal push stalls ourside Venus and Golden City cinemas. Love to go midnight shows on Saturdays.

Midnight show was the in-thing in th 60's and 70's and so was coffee-house. They were favourites for new dates.

The community centre at Dawson Road (off Strathmore Rd) used to hold weekly open air cinema before the arrival of black and white tv. The ticket for entrance was only 5-10 cents but many who could not afford would sneak in under the fabric fencing.
The nostalgic Wongfei Hong & Fung Sai Yoke were the favourites shows.

Those days anybody can operate a push-cart stall...no permit or licence...only need some initial capital for the setup.

Those were the days my friends.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Midnight show was the in-thing in th 60's and 70's and so was coffee-house. They were favourites for new dates.

Rusty, talking about coffee-house in the good old days there is one on the second floor of the Margaret Drive Food Centre at the back of the Shanghai dumpling stall. I guess my first time eating western food is there, those days going there is very very atas. There I learn what is sausage, steak, mix-grill, mesh potato, H1 and LP sauces etc. What is the name of this coffee-house anyone?

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rusty, talking about coffee-house in the good old days there is one on the second floor of the Margaret Drive Food Centre at the back of the Shanghai dumpling stall. I guess my first time eating western food is there, those days going there is very very atas. There I learn what is sausage, steak, mix-grill, mesh potato, H1 and LP sauces etc. What is the name of this coffee-house anyone?

Ya, it used to be my favourite too but can't recall. I'll check though.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a very good lormee stall at Bukit Merah HC, in between old HDB and interchange, further across the highway is CMPB. I always ate the lormee there whenever I have business to deal with HDB or CMPB. I haven't been there for many years, don't know if the stall is still running.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ladies and Gentlemen, here are some of the stalls from Margaret Drive Food Centre thats moved to Mel Ling Street Market. I just came back from there for the chicken rice

b5f7e354.jpg

80c243f7.jpg

Chicken Rice Store 新记

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
c4d09664.jpg

Fishball Noodle Hup Kee (the one most famnous, outside corner in front is carpark)

See the man on the right is the owner but now son cooking

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
8cc2c49a.jpg

Fishball Noodle (inside row of the Margaret Drive Food Centre, the man with the thick gold chain)

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
0eb2f2df.jpg

Desert Stall (on the outside row of the Margaret Drive Food Centre, same row as Hup Kee Fishball noodle in front of carpark)

I posted before that duck noodle moved there but business not so good so moved out liao.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't know if you guys remember, there was a woman shot dead while walking along the road , was it the queensway circle?, by a bullet whose bore size is not found in SINgapore. Was that case solved?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Don't know if you guys remember, there was a woman shot dead while walking along the road , was it the queensway circle?, by a bullet whose bore size is not found in SINgapore. Was that case solved?

Good afternoon halsey02, please go to page 3 post #60 of this thread, someone already mentioned this and you can find a link with more details there.