• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

OzRick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, I have a lot more confidence in Melbourne than Iskandar. It's like comparing gold to an old copper. It makes sense to talk about holding power in Melbourne when the market is down. It's a no brainer where, from an international migrant's perspective, one will choose to retire between the 2. Melbourne, of course. It's in a 1st world country, safer, better weather, more well known universities, financial center is there, everything is established, etc.

I had lived in many cities in Australia including Melbourne during my 27 years there, but choose to retire in Nusajaya, Johor.

For your info, there are many Australians with MM2H visa living in Malaysia, especially in Penang.

Unless you are filthy rich, Australian capital cities are way too expensive for retirement.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had lived in many cities in Australia including Melbourne during my 27 years there, but choose to retire in Nusajaya, Johor.

For your info, there are many Australians with MM2H visa living in Malaysia, especially in Penang.

Unless you are filthy rich, Australian capital cities are way too expensive for retirement.

Definitely cheaper in Johor to make your money stretch. Many Ozzies and POMs also coming to Malaysia. Believe it or not, many Singaporeans are actually too poor to retire in Johor.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ayo I am not really the one uprooting, my next generation is, I plan for them to go. I am the one rooted to Singapore and if have opportunity, retire in Johor, many options for me, including just weekends in hotels which is what I am doing now.

Anyway, the point is that it boils down to whether one has lots of cash and also whether one's preferences to buy or rent or be hotel guests. We are all having different circumstances and at different stages in life.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel that you have fallen into the debt trap. I know Johor is cheap but doesn't mean you buy like no tomorrow as the interest is frightening at 4 plus percent. Take care.

It is because of a better tomorrow that I chose to buy in JB. Whatever the interest rate given by banks is something beyond my control. If i have $2.6million I would put it in the current account so I don't pay any interest at all. So long as my rental from HDB can cover the instalments of my JB properties I think that should be ok.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is because of a better tomorrow that I chose to buy in JB. Whatever the interest rate given by banks is something beyond my control. If i have $2.6million I would put it in the current account so I don't pay any interest at all. So long as my rental from HDB can cover the instalments of my JB properties I think that should be ok.

Your call.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely cheaper in Johor to make your money stretch. Many Ozzies and POMs also coming to Malaysia. Believe it or not, many Singaporeans are actually too poor to retire in Johor.

I tell my friends who are better off than me, if peasant like me can move over to JB, then they certainly can.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

If I have $2.6 million in my bank I will call myself filthy rich liao....my standard of filthy rich not very high.... :biggrin:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why? Is this a private club? I also may stay in Johor so why cannot comment? People even comment my stay in Melbourne in Johor folder can, I also never say anything. So what is the big deal?

Actually from what you have posted I doubt you would stay in JB, probably remain as hotel guest on weekends.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not retired yet so cannot comment...but I am example of peasant who can look forward to retiring in JB.

You really call yourself peasant with two JB properties? The real peasant cannot afford to retire in Johor because money no enough. I give you example, they rent out the average 4 room flat, only $2,200.00 go to Johor pay rent about $800.00, left only $1,400.00 for two people, barely enough for a comfortable living.

If they stay in Singapore, most likely they will work for about $1k plus each and add in about $1,200 if they rent out two rooms, totally about $3,200 per month, financially wise better off to stay put here with friends and family nearby. By going to Johor they have to forgo any kind of earning in terms of getting a job. So Johor, cost low, income also low.

Last edited:

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
You really call yourself peasant with two JB properties? The real peasant cannot afford to retire in Johor because money no enough. I give you example, they rent out the average 4 room flat, only $2,200.00 go to Johor pay rent about $800.00, left only $1,400.00 for two people, barely enough for a comfortable living.

If they stay in Singapore, most likely they will work for about $1k plus each and add in about $1,200 if they rent out two rooms, totally about $3,200 per month, financially wise better off to stay put here with friends and family nearby. By going to Johor they have to forgo any kind of earning in terms of getting a job. So Johor, cost low, income also low.

Your reasoning is flawed . If truly retired, why do they still wanna work ? So assuming no income, their passive income is only ard S$1,200 if they are fortunate to have 2 rooms to rent out. How to survive better than S$1,400 in JB where cost of living is much lower ? Also, your rental of 800 for JB is not like to like as its for a whole condo while your analysis for SG is that they rent out 2 rooms and stay in one bedroom .

Rental for one room in JB is only 300-400S$, so effectively they can have S$2,200 less 400 = 1,800S$= RM5,400 for retirement every month which is more than enough in JB .

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your reasoning is flawed . If truly retired, why do they still wanna work ? So assuming no income, their passive income is only ard S$1,200 if they are fortunate to have 2 rooms to rent out. How to survive better than S$1,400 in JB where cost of living is much lower ? Also, your rental of 800 for JB is not like to like as its for a whole condo while your analysis for SG is that they rent out 2 rooms and stay in one bedroom .

Rental for one room in JB is only 300-400S$, so effectively they can have S$2,200 less 400 = 1,800S$= RM5,400 for retirement every month which is more than enough in JB .

My reasoning is not flawed.

First of all, true peasants cannot fully retire, they have to basically work till they drop unless they have minimum sum. I did qualify that only rich to above average can afford to retire in JB and not work.

If retiree have to also live in one room condition in JB, better to stay in Singapore and do some light work and earn money so that it is enough, no need to discuss further. As living in JB is not all about financial costs but also social costs, and social costs is high to be away from family, unless it is balanced up by being able to live in a whole unit and not just one room, also, JB amenities not like Singapore, in SG the elderly can walk to market and hawkers centre and coffees shops, you have to factor in costs of owning a car, as even taxis are scarce.

I have spoken to many old retirees on their plans to retire in JB as a market survey to assess the viability of buying investment property and found out that many real common old people do not want to retire there even when costs are low.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
My reasoning is not flawed.

First of all, true peasants cannot fully retire, they have to basically work till they drop unless they have minimum sum. I did qualify that only rich to above average can afford to retire in JB and not work.

If retiree have to also live in one room condition in JB, better to stay in Singapore and do some light work and earn money so that it is enough, no need to discuss further. As living in JB is not all about financial costs but also social costs, and social costs is high to be away from family, unless it is balanced up by being able to live in a whole unit and not just one room, also, JB amenities not like Singapore, in SG the elderly can walk to market and hawkers centre and coffees shops, you have to factor in costs of owning a car, as even taxis are scarce.

I have spoken to many old retirees on their plans to retire in JB as a market survey to assess the viability of buying investment property and found out that many real common old people do not want to retire there even when costs are low.

Well, we are talking about retirement which everyone knows means not working and that includes peasants. Why should they not be allowed to fully retire and not work ? They are humans also . Do they need to collect cardboards and work out at the same time as our learned minister claimed ?

Your initial argument did not mention about social costs and the need to balance them by living in 1 unit . If this is your major contention, you shd have mentioned them in the first place ?

FYI , HSBC did a survey recently and found that about 7% of SG want to retire in MY.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we are talking about retirement which everyone knows means not working and that includes peasants. Why should they not be allowed to fully retire and not work ? They are humans also . Do they need to collect cardboards and work out at the same time as our learned minister claimed ?

Your initial argument did not mention about social costs and the need to balance them by living in 1 unit . If this is your major contention, you shd have mentioned them in the first place ?

FYI , HSBC did a survey recently and found that about 7% of SG want to retire in MY.

Everyone can not work, but everyone needs money to live on and the poorest need the money. So it is not an issue for me to answer why they cannot fully retire.

Of course I did not mention about social costs of living away from family and friends as my post assume them to live decently in a whole unit, it was you who brought up the idea of living in JB in one room and that is why I mentioned the impact of social costs.

7% to retire in Johor is a total survey, which may include above average people who have enough to be able to live in Johor without the need for extra income or work. If you do a real survey on the lowest income people and give them the true scenario that they have no income by moving there, the response to retire in JB may be much less.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone can not work, but everyone needs money to live on and the poorest need the money. So it is not an issue for me to answer why they cannot fully retire.

Of course I did not mention about social costs of living away from family and friends as my post assume them to live decently in a whole unit, it was you who brought up the idea of living in JB in one room and that is why I mentioned the impact of social costs.

7% to retire in Johor is a total survey, which may include above average people who have enough to be able to live in Johor without the need for extra income or work. If you do a real survey on the lowest income people and give them the true scenario that they have no income by moving there, the response to retire in JB may be much less.

The poorest all the more would be willing to shift to JB if it can help them avoid collecting cardboards. In fact I know already of SG folks who shifted there after being retrenched.

Whether the 7% retirees are rich or poor is not relevant as long as they choose to stay in MY and provide support for the ppty prices.