• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Booooo Gooners! Lol. Anyway, derby matches are the most exhilarating. I've been to United vs Liverpool and Newcastle vs Sunderland.

On a side note, looks like new causeway not gonna happen.
http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...to-easing-congestion-says-singapore-minister/

Gunners may not be winners but at least we are consistent pretenders at the top. :smile:

The causeway thing is never going to happen as it the Straits is a strategic waterway. Singapore will never open up the bridge as it means ships can pass through easily, bypassing Singapore. They will keep negotiating and more negotiating, yet still negotiating and drag for longest time possible. I think PM Najib and the Sultan saw all these already.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gunners may not be winners but at least we are consistent pretenders at the top. :smile:

The causeway thing is never going to happen as it the Straits is a strategic waterway. Singapore will never open up the bridge as it means ships can pass through easily, bypassing Singapore. They will keep negotiating and more negotiating, yet still negotiating and drag for longest time possible. I think PM Najib and the Sultan saw all these already.

Also SG will die before they let anyone touch those pipes

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm curious to know why HK people don't rush to buy Shenzhen properties. What's the reason? Something we can learn here.Some have compared SG-Iskandar to HK-Shenzhen. I believe it is likely the same here too -- SGporeans won't rush to go to Iskandar in the next decade or two. People in SG and the govt are already planning for SG100. So that's how far the vision is.

I think Iskandar remains largely for those who want an alternative lifestyle but with some readjustments to their lifestyle. It's this part that will prevent most from moving. For families with personal businesses rooted firmly here, it's like a fish out of water to move to Iskandar. For retirees and those who don't mind the long time (tiring also) in traveling, it makes sense. So for own stay, it's ok. For investment or buying for the future, there's a big "?"

Many SGporeans will stay put in SG because of familiarity of environment. They'd rather live in small and relatively expensive HDB flats than relocate to a bigger and cheaper unit or house in Iskandar. In SG, there's the convenience of travel via our excellent public transport, safety, easy access to places in general.

As for change in govt policies, that's certainly another (political) risk. Not sure how long Najib will be in power. Whoever takes over from him can change stuffs and rules. The >RM1million rule to sell properties to foreigners caught many offguard. Another lesson to learn here is: You must have the $ and holding power when buying Iskandar properties. It's $ you may not see any returns soon. What you get is the physical property itself.

To answer your question (highlighted) , the answer perhaps can be just this - COMFORT ZONE.
Many people don't like uncertainty and move out of it.
Moving to JB while working SG is a major decision.
Many families only have one single property and to move away means many have to sell of their current home.
Many will be bothered with lots of "what if" questions - what if I lost my job or change my job, shall my wife give birth in JB or SG, where can I stay if I need to come back to SG, my parents how? her parents how?................

Comparing to JB/SG, actually the SZ/HK situation is even more conducive and favorable.
The transport system (bus and MRT) in SZ and HK is as good as SG with the train from HK stops right at the border, you walk across into SZ right into the underground MRT station.
And better can speak Cantonese in both places.
And yet Hongkongers are not rushing to settle in SZ despite the much lower cost of living and property prices.
Same there - COMFORT ZONE.

Moving to SZ, like moving to JB means long travelling time, getting up 5.30 am daily to get ready easily 4 hours wasted on the road.
But another reason should be the education for the kids.
Many still prefer to have their children educated in SG (situation same in HK) and sending them for enrichment class (tuition, music, arts, ballet, etc) here.
In fact, many Malaysian parents in JB spending good money sending their children to study in SG (noticed those bright orange BUS SEKOLAH carrying kids to schools here?), why do the reverse?

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
To answer your question (highlighted) , the answer perhaps can be just this - COMFORT ZONE.
Many people don't like uncertainty and move out of it.
Moving to JB while working SG is a major decision.
Many families only have one single property and to move away means many have to sell of their current home.
Many will be bothered with lots of "what if" questions - what if I lost my job or change my job, shall my wife give birth in JB or SG, where can I stay if I need to come back to SG, my parents how? her parents how?................

Comparing to JB/SG, actually the SZ/HK situation is even more conducive and favorable.
The transport system (bus and MRT) in SZ and HK is as good as SG with the train from HK stops right at the border, you walk across into SZ right into the underground MRT station.
And better can speak Cantonese in both places.
And yet Hongkongers are not rushing to settle in SZ despite the much lower cost of living and property prices.
Same there - COMFORT ZONE.

Moving to SZ, like moving to JB means long travelling time, getting up 5.30 am daily to get ready easily 4 hours wasted on the road.
But another reason should be the education for the kids.
Many still prefer to have their children educated in SG (situation same in HK) and sending them for enrichment class (tuition, music, arts, ballet, etc) here.
In fact, many Malaysian parents in JB spending good money sending their children to study in SG (noticed those bright orange BUS SEKOLAH carrying kids to schools here?), why do the reverse?

Ok yes. Good sharing.

I think it's largely the same with SG and Iskandar. So I think the SG government will not be scared of people moving there and affect the country's economy.

There are many discrepancies and obstacles. The long travel and jams is definitely one of them. Then the safety issues, familiarity with place, convenience, etc.

Really depends on individual choices. It could work out well for others, like some forummers here.

Although some say Iskandar's success does not have to depend on SG, I think it is more difficult if it is separated. We are the closest to JB. It's easiest to get small businesses to cross over there. As for residential, I predict many difficulties in the market for some time due to reasons given above. Without the demand, it's hard to "move" the expensive properties. Common Malaysians won't touch them for sure.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok yes. Good sharing.

I think it's largely the same with SG and Iskandar. So I think the SG government will not be scared of people moving there and affect the country's economy.

There are many discrepancies and obstacles. The long travel and jams is definitely one of them. Then the safety issues, familiarity with place, convenience, etc.

Really depends on individual choices. It could work out well for others, like some forummers here.

Although some say Iskandar's success does not have to depend on SG, I think it is more difficult if it is separated. We are the closest to JB. It's easiest to get small businesses to cross over there. As for residential, I predict many difficulties in the market for some time due to reasons given above. Without the demand, it's hard to "move" the expensive properties. Common Malaysians won't touch them for sure.

I think many of the difficulties can be surmounted if we are retirees who dun need to travel to n fro too frequently. As SG's costs go thru the roof, some may have no choice but retire in JB else they have to work till they drop. Just rent out their HDB n rent/ co-rent a condo in JB . If want to see children, just take a bus or train across during non peak hours. Simple solution .

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u are investing in Iskandar for CA and expect quick gain in 5-10years,
yes, SG & Singaporeans are crucial to your Gameplan. But if you are buying
for self-stay and retirement mainly. With or Without SG & Sporeans not much diff.

:wink:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok yes. Good sharing.

At the end of the day, its all about one's priority, what he wants and what he needs.
Weigh all the pros and cons and see how the scale tips then decide.
But honestly, JB may be a good place for retirees to settle there for the lower cost of living, the only problem maybe the hustle having to come back for medical appointments or treatment.
However, if you really look at it again, if many retirees and people seeking lower living cost opt to move to JB, what kind of scenario JB will become - oldies everywhere, people all going for value for money products and services, more shops opening to offer value for money products and services.............will there be much city excitement there when people are very careful with their spending?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the end of the day, its all about one's priority, what he wants and what he needs.
Weigh all the pros and cons and see how the scale tips then decide.
But honestly, JB may be a good place for retirees to settle there for the lower cost of living, the only problem maybe the hustle having to come back for medical appointments or treatment.
However, if you really look at it again, if many retirees and people seeking lower living cost opt to move to JB, what kind of scenario JB will become - oldies everywhere, people all going for value for money products and services, more shops opening to offer value for money products and services.............will there be much city excitement there when people are very careful with their spending?

My views on target investors profile:

1. Retirees
2. Singaporean families who wish to have bigger space at lower cost
3. Malaysians who are SPR buying 2nd home in JB as standby
4. Malaysians who travel to work in Spore on a daily basis
5. Expats (Ang Mohs) for large landed or high end condos
6. PRC migration (even small 0.1% of rich migrants is a big figure)
7. Those who doesn’t want to stay with their parents and wanted privacy
8. Speculative investors hoping to get tenants to subsidise

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes of course, if and when it happens. Don't forget Singapore would not go down without a fight though, have you seen budget 2016 for a Silicon Valley type development in the West?

Singapore definitely will fight on....and strategize well ahead....at the same time Singapore will always keep a substantial level of interest in Iskandar.....

Singapore success is pivotal....is major pull factor in many aspects for Iskandar....

Each year, economic and social ties only grow...

One can't foresee one side go into stagnation and other side thrive forward....that is in denial......

The feel good factor Singapore so great...so progressive...applies to all...

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore definitely will fight on....and strategize well ahead....at the same time Singapore will always keep a substantial level of interest in Iskandar.....

Singapore success is pivotal....is major pull factor in many aspects for Iskandar....

Each year, economic and social ties only grow...

One can't foresee one side go into stagnation and other side thrive forward....that is in denial......

The feel good factor Singapore so great...so progressive...applies to all...

That's the best all can hope for. Now would someone fix the bloody jam issue at both links.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
My views on target investors profile:

1. Retirees low spenders
2. Singaporean families who wish to have bigger space at lower cost low spenders
3. Malaysians who are SPR buying 2nd home in JB as standby low spenders and probably seeking tenants
4. Malaysians who travel to work in Spore on a daily basis only back after dark, low spenders
5. Expats (Ang Mohs) for large landed or high end condos too few to make a difference
6. PRC migration (even small 0.1% of rich migrants is a big figure) many not staying full time
7. Those who doesn’t want to stay with their parents and wanted privacy too few to make a difference
8. Speculative investors hoping to get tenants to subsidise wish them good luck

In order for a city to be vibrant and exciting, it must be full of an assortment of regular and high end activities and night life and there must be enough of high worth and big spenders residents.
See examples in New York, Tokyo, London, Hongkong and even Singapore.
In JB, in time to come, one can only foresee a laid back, value for money shopping and services retiree township.
Also in time to come, the 3 major Chinese development upon completion, you will see mushrooming of KTV lounges, massage parlors and with all the young and sweet employees renting from the PRC owners.
And perhaps due to the convenience and abundance of young and sweet beings, something similar to Shenzhen may be happening in JB too - apartments will be used for 金屋藏娇(a place where bosses keep their little darlings) and the whole place become a 二奶小三村。

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In order for a city to be vibrant and exciting, it must be full of an assortment of regular and high end activities and night life and there must be enough of high worth and big spenders residents.
See examples in New York, Tokyo, London, Hongkong and even Singapore.
In JB, in time to come, one can only foresee a laid back, value for money shopping and services retiree township.
Also in time to come, the 3 major Chinese development upon completion, you will see mushrooming of KTV lounges, massage parlors and with all the young and sweet employees renting from the PRC owners.
And perhaps due to the convenience and abundance of young and sweet beings, something similar to Shenzhen may be happening in JB too - apartments will be used for 金屋藏娇(a place where bosses keep their little darlings) and the whole place become a 二奶小三村。

JB will NEVER be vibrant like Singapore. That is already an established fact.
The nearest equivalent would be like Penang which ranked 3rd favorite retirement town globally. Full of condos and eateries but hardly any office buildings. Karaokes and niteclubs aplenty. Maybe a little bit more organised but anyone who think it is like Singapore WILL BE disappointed. This is JB. This is the way it would be. Either accept it or reject it. No false pretense. No cons in trying to lure herds of Singapore to invest here. No forcing. Willing buyer, willing seller, willing investor basis.

Iskandar can only show you what they have and keep you posted. So let's no harp that Johore is trying to con Singaporeans to invest here. Doors are open, it is up to you to walk in.

Last edited:

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the best all can hope for. Now would someone fix the bloody jam issue at both links.

That is not a hope....is a reality...as real as you spent so many hours in JB forum to talk down....

That is not the best...saying so implies Singapore has peaked....get it?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB will NEVER be vibrant like Singapore. That is already an established fact.
The nearest equivalent would be like Penang which ranked 3rd favorite retirement town globally. Full of condos and eateries but hardly any office buildings. Karaokes and niteclubs aplenty. Maybe a little bit more organised but anyone who think it is like Singapore WILL BE disappointed. This is JB. This is the way it would be. Either accept it or reject it. No false pretense. No cons in trying to lure herds of Singapore to invest here. No forcing. Willing buyer, willing seller, willing investor basis.

Iskandar can only show you what they have and keep you posted. So let's no harp that Johore is trying to con Singaporeans to invest here. Doors are open, it is up to you to walk in.

True...The day JB become like Singapore...might as well move back to Singapore liao....I suppose the disparity between the two city states are what lures people to cross the causeway, be it in search of better paying jobs, or in search of cheap and good food etc

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wise words of wisdom ...:smile: What for stress so much in SG n develop all kinds of illnesses ? JB is the short cut to early and relaxing retirement .

JB allows me to retire early. Life is not just waking up everyday to go to work and gets all stressed up, or work till you dropped dead, so that we can afford to stay in expensive Singapore.

Singapore is too expensive to ever allows ordinary working class people to retire, relax and enjoy the fruits of their hard work.

The system is milking us dry - left, right and center, front and back, no escaping. We sweat, pap just think only, make it a law and take away from us - easy money.

Then they claimed they make Singapore so rich and so they must be paid the highest in the whole universe.

The option is there in Iskandar for those to plan an exit from expensive Singapore and able to retire and live comfortably well, without all the frills, bells and whistle, and "premium".

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
JB allows me to retire early. Life is not just waking up everyday to go to work and gets all stressed up, or work till you dropped dead, so that we can afford to stay in expensive Singapore.

Singapore is too expensive to ever allows ordinary working class people to retire, relax and enjoy the fruits of their hard work.

Thanks for sharing! Well summed up! Enjoy your retirement!

Cheers!
:cool:

The system is milking us dry - left, right and center, front and back, no escaping. We sweat, pap just think only, make it a law and take away from us - easy money.

Then they claimed they make Singapore so rich and so they must be paid the highest in the whole universe.

The option is there in Iskandar for those to plan an exit from expensive Singapore and able to retire and live comfortably well, without all the frills, bells and whistle, and "premium".

Thanks for sharing your experience! Congrats on your exit from the rat race!

Cheers!
:cool: