• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Prof Tommy Koh: Was it wise for LKY to sue & bankrupt opposition leaders?

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very wise for Tommy Koh to speak his mind now
Use of defamation lawsuits to bankrupt opponents
Despicable in every country and Sinkies know it too
Goostan’s dey favourite word what can Tommy do

Tree falls and those monkeys scatter the Chinks say
Time’s very ripe to speak before ship leaves the bay
Had he spoken in public then it would be to no avail
He would have had that Harry Baboon chase his tail

In matters of state nobles and bourgeoisie well placed
To lead the masses against tyrant with that ugly face
Needing to make a living takes men’s minds away
From the macro issues and how to make our way

Be it Tommy, Cathy, Jee Say, Walter or whomsoever
LEEgime poodles sends slings and arrows their way
Tar them with the Lightning stain should they sway
From Old Fart’s ill conceived and self serving policies
If the minds of the masses continue to be blinded
Peesai is doomed, let Tommy his ilk have their say

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tong tong CHIANG. Tong tong tong CHIANG. Tong CHIANG tong CHIANG. What a wayang.

Prof Koh: Was it wise for LKY to sue & bankrupt opposition leaders?

Speaking at a conference organized by the LKY School of Public Policy to mark the 90th birthday celebration of Mr Lee Kuan Yew on Monday (16 Sep), Ambassordor-At-Large Tommy Koh asked if it was a wise thing for Mr Lee to sue opposition leaders for defamation and bankrupt them?

Professor Koh asked, “When he was Prime Minister, he had a practice of launching defamation suits against opposition leaders after each general election…was this practice by Mr Lee to sue opposition leaders for defamation a wise thing to do?

“When you look at other advanced democracies, I know of no other country in the world where after a general election, the victor will sue the opponent for defamation.”

“In an advanced democracy, when an election is over, the vanquished will have the grace to congratulate the victor and the victor will have the magnanimity to forgive his opponent for all the unkind things the opponent has said. My question…is not that Mr Lee was not within the law in suing opponents for defamation – he bankrupted some of them – but was it a wise thing for him to do?”

After Professor Koh asked the question, former cabinet minister, Professor S Jayakumar, immediately defended, “There were defamation suits against politicians but it would be wrong to think he sued only politicians and it’s wrong to think he sued politicians after every general election to drive home a point that he (the opposition politician) should have not stood for the elections…”

“Whether it was an opposition politician, whether it was the Far Eastern Economic Review or even a publication, say in Malaysia – he issued a defamation action against The Star publication and was prepared to have it tested in the courts in Kuala Lumpur.”

Professor Jayakumar then further spoke on Mr Lee’s behalf saying that Mr Lee’s red line was not to be criticised on his reputation and integrity.

Professor Jayakumar said, “What is the point he wanted to make? He is prepared for a robust criticism of his policies. He can be criticised for foolishness, maybe even for incompetence, for arrogance, but his red line was – not on reputation and integrity.”

“So, whether it’s opposition politician or any other source, if you allege his integrity, say, corruption, for example, he would want to demonstrate that that is a red line, you justify it. He’s prepared to justify his record.”

“I know in other jurisdictions, in the cut and thrust of politics, all sorts of accusations are hurled but the threshold is different. But he wanted to establish a threshold here that you have people of integrity, including himself, in government, in Cabinet and they are prepared to defend the integrity,” Professor Jayakumar added.

Professor Jayakumar, who served in the Cabinet for 27 years, also praised Mr Lee for him being “intellectually honest”

“If you can come up with a contrary view and argue your case, he will listen and prepare to change,” said Professor Jayakumar.

He cited the institution of the Elected Presidency and said that the final shape of that reflected the views of Cabinet ministers.

Former President S R Nathan was also at the conference.

He recalled an incident which he fondly remembers, “In 1967, I was sent as a junior officer to take notes of his meeting with the visiting Thai Foreign Minister. I hurriedly put on a tie and jacket and rushed to the assignment.”

“On my arrival at the door, the prime minister came close to me, adjusted my necktie and said, with almost paternal touch, these words, ‘Nathan, you must remember, you are no longer in the labour movement’. I was moved beyond words. I had grown up without a father or an elder brother. Here was the prime minister himself coming down to my level, to do what they would have done for me. That instance of his caring nature, I experienced many times in life, something most people do not attribute to him.”

The conference was organized to discuss the thinking behind Mr Lee’s strategies in bringing Singapore from Third World to First. It was attended by some 600 thought leaders who included former politicians, academics and diplomats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ain't surprised at all cos both of them were running dogs serving the Kempeitai during the Japanese occupation of Singapore.

Dinkum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Bastard is only a Kampong Champion in his own turf.. LOL..

Former president criticizes suppression of dissent

Globe and Mail Canada
March 29, 1999

BY Marcus Gee

In the Singapore of the early 1980s, Lee Kuan Yew was the captain and Devan Nair his loyal lieutenant. Mr Lee, independence leader, then prime minister and now senior minister of the tiny Southeast Asian city-state, laid down the law. Mr Nair followed it. As head of the national trade union congress, then president of Singapore, he loyally parroted the "LKY" line on the importance of social order, the dangers of Western-style democracy and the evils of littering.

Then, in 1985, came a shocking break. Mr Lee told Singapore's parliament that Mr Nair had resigned because he was an alcoholic, a charge Mr Nair now calls a baseless slur. Three years later, he left Singapore for good after publicly quarrelling with Mr Lee over the arrest of a well-known government critic. Then he dropped from sight.

For the past few years, Mr Nair has been living quietly in Hamilton, Ontario. He has given no interviews and made few public statements. "I thought it was unseemly for a former president to go whacky-whacking his country," he says.

Those days of silence are over Mr Nair has decided to speak out against the continuing suppression of legitimate dissent in his country. And so, last week, he sat down in the sun-lit drawing room of a friend's house near Hamilton to talk about Lee Kuan Yew, how they drew apart and what he thinks of Mr Lee's Singapore today.

Now 75, Mr Nair is a compact man with a mischievous smile. Sipping a glass of water, he speaks in a plummy baritone that commands attention.

Mr Nair got to know his "captain" when the two were fighting to free Singapore from British colonial rule in the 1950s. A teacher whose father emigrated from India, Mr Nair taught Shakespeare while he was a member of the Anti-British League, an irony he still savours. When the British threw him in jail as a subversive, holding him for a total of five years, Mr Lee was his lawyer.

The two remained close after Singapore won its freedom from Britain. Together, they fought off an attempted communist takeover, weathered Singapore's ejection from the neighbouring federation of Malaysia and transformed their country from a run-down sea port to an economic dynamo bristling with skyscrapers. "I supported him because he was an eloquent champion of the dreams I had for Singapore," Mr Nair says.

But as Singapore grew prosperous and stable and the communist threat faded, Mr Nair began to have doubts about his captain's iron-fisted methods. Perhaps sensing his ally's doubts, Mr Lee asked Mr Nair to leave his power base as head of the trade union congress and move into the presidential palace. As Mr Nair puts it, "He kicked me upstairs."

Being president, he says now, was "the silliest job in the world. All you had to do was cut ribbons." His frustration grew.

But before he could speak out, Mr Nair found himself at the centre of a rumour-mongering campaign that labelled him a drinker and womanizer. He says he was neither, and he suspects that Mr Lee had government doctors slip him hallucinatory drugs to make him appear befuddled. "Lee Kuan Yew decided: This man is going to be a threat, so I'd better begin a total demolishment of his character. He's very good at that."

A case in point: the recent battering of Singapore's most determined dissident, J. B. Jeyaretnam. Singapore doesn't lock up its critics any more; it sues them, instead. Mr Jeyaretnam has faced countless libel suits from Mr Lee and other members of his government. If the party doesn't pay the damages in the most recent suit, the government hints it will ask the courts to shut it down, a move that would oust Mr Jeyaretnam from parliament.

That, says Mr Nair, is an outrage. Mr Jeyaretnam has shown "indomitable courage and dignity in the face of the vilest persecution."

Why didn't Mr Nair challenge his leader at the time? That question has haunted him ever since. "I was prone to hero worship and he was our captain," he says, lowering his head. "Even when I began to feel uneasy, loyalty to the captain superseded all other feelings. That was my weakness."

Mr Nair is not bitter. He gives Mr Lee credit for making Singapore a wealthy, stable place, an accomplishment in which he is proud to have shared. But how much greater that accomplishment would be if Singapore were a wealthy stable democracy. To him, Singapore today is a soulless place whose only ideology is materialism. Whether he could have changed that, Mr Nair wishes now he had spoken up earlier.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“On my arrival at the door, the prime minister came close to me, adjusted my necktie and said, with almost paternal touch, these words, ‘Nathan, you must remember, you are no longer in the labour movement’. I was moved beyond words. I had grown up without a father or an elder brother. Here was the prime minister himself coming down to my level, to do what they would have done for me.

Now, you know why Kee Chiu worships Old Fart. Kee Chiu grew up without a father too.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LKY simply wanted every knee to bow to him, and every tongue to confess that he is the Lord and Saviour of Singapore. :wink:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so bad...he must suffer more first before death

Don't be so cruel leh ...kee chiu loves Old Fart like a father ...sharing the casket with him means all the world to him. And it saves us many million of tax dollars that would otherwise be going to him in salary and pension. It is a win-win proposition.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't be so cruel leh ...kee chiu loves Old Fart like a father ...sharing the casket with him means all the world to him. And it saves us many million of tax dollars that would otherwise be going to him in salary and pension. It is a win-win proposition.

old fart is 90...time to die. Kee Chiu no grey hair yet leh. Let him suffer first --like can't walk.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
and tommy has been whacking quite often, rumour has it.just not reported. went to one of his speeches. veiled words a lot. of course lost on the lackey crowd

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will Jaya get extra pay for defending the old man

I am waiting to see the fireworks , once LKY passes on..

Some talks of a coup-d"eta

Jaya in the Lee camp
Teo Chee hean..a guy with a lost look, ever obedient to LHL....
Tommy in another camp
Georgie ..another camp. LHL most immediate threat. Hence, he replaces Georgie with newbie Tin Pei Lin
Woody Goh...waiting and lurking
Opposition Low Thia khiang, CSM and Sylvia Lim...all patiently building up opposition credibility.
Kishore Mabubani..big mouthpiece of PAP.
Yeo Cheow Tong, David Lim, Wong kan seng...all dead wood.

Some other big names and critics behind the scene...Walter Woon, Catherine Lim , Ngiam tong dow

Singapore Political scene can be interesting as in any one party, there is always another party...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am waiting to see the fireworks , once LKY passes on..

Some talks of a coup-d"eta

Jaya in the Lee camp
Teo Chee hean..a guy with a lost look, ever obedient to LHL....
Tommy in another camp
Georgie ..another camp. LHL most immediate threat. Hence, he replaces Georgie with newbie Tin Pei Lin
Woody Goh...waiting and lurking
Opposition Low Thia khiang, CSM and Sylvia Lim...all patiently building up opposition credibility.
Kishore Mabubani..big mouthpiece of PAP.
Yeo Cheow Tong, David Lim, Wong kan seng...all dead wood.

Some other big names and critics behind the scene...Walter Woon, Catherine Lim , Ngiam tong dow

Singapore Political scene can be interesting as in any one party, there is always another party...

lee-kuan-yew-birthday.jpg

Look at all the obedient doggies around him. :biggrin:

ChinChaiOne

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dog eat dog world. Be on the menu or be on the table. Either you whack them or you get whacked hard by them. LKY is just damn good at whacking people on all fronts, lawfully at the disposal of his knowledge of the game. He is by far the clear winner of the game.

P/S: He is your CR7. By far the very best. I heard he scored now 206 goals in 203 games?

Last edited: