• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Problems that the million-dollar ministers are not solving

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: A ban on lighting up at balconies, windows can help smoking preventive efforts​

MAR 11, 2022

Senior Minister of State for Sustainability and the Environment Amy Khor announced that the smoking ban will be extended to cover more areas to protect Singapore from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke (Budget debate: From July, smoking will be banned at more beaches, parks and gardens, March 7).
I strongly urge the authorities to also consider banning smoking at balconies and windows of homes.
The newly banned areas are mainly parks, gardens and beaches, which are generally big enough spaces for people to move away from cigarette smoke.
However, there is less chance of avoiding second-hand smoke coming from neighbours smoking at their balcony or window.
The primary objective of imposing a ban should not be to prosecute offenders, but to target prevention.
Even if enforcement would be a challenge, a ban on smoking at balconies and windows of homes would at least deter smokers from conveniently lighting up at the expense of other people's health.

Chin Swee Hong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long queue at airport as many taxi drivers prefer cash only​

Mar 11, 2022

I work at Changi Airport and have noticed that with more flights arriving now, it is taking longer for arriving passengers to get a taxi. The wait can be up to an hour even though the taxi bays are filled.
The issue is that many taxi drivers say they accept only cash for payment, and many passengers, especially foreigners, do not have Singapore dollars with them.
These passengers then have to wait longer for a cabby who will accept card payment.
Passengers who fly from places like Europe or the United States have spent up to 18 hours travelling with masks on. It makes things worse if they have to wait a long time for a taxi.
The authorities should find out why these taxi drivers prefer cash, and solve the issue.
Changi Airport is one of the best in the world. Let us not allow long waits for a taxi to tarnish Singapore's reputation.

U Kyaw Oo

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long queue at airport as many taxi drivers prefer cash only​

Mar 11, 2022

I work at Changi Airport and have noticed that with more flights arriving now, it is taking longer for arriving passengers to get a taxi. The wait can be up to an hour even though the taxi bays are filled.
The issue is that many taxi drivers say they accept only cash for payment, and many passengers, especially foreigners, do not have Singapore dollars with them.
These passengers then have to wait longer for a cabby who will accept card payment.
Passengers who fly from places like Europe or the United States have spent up to 18 hours travelling with masks on. It makes things worse if they have to wait a long time for a taxi.
The authorities should find out why these taxi drivers prefer cash, and solve the issue.
Changi Airport is one of the best in the world. Let us not allow long waits for a taxi to tarnish Singapore's reputation.

U Kyaw Oo
Pathethic. The highly paid management team needs to be told by a "lowly" worker that the taxi drivers only take cash.
And the TRUST US media duly reports, instead of already put a reporter to talk to management and find out why.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Disappointing that residential second-hand smoke concerns were not addressed​

PUBLISHED

MAR 11, 2022

The recent initiatives announced towards a healthier Singapore are laudable (Budget debate: From July, smoking will be banned at more beaches, parks and gardens, March 7).
It was, however, disappointing that residential second-hand smoke concerns were not addressed as part of this plan, given that exposure to second-hand smoke is widespread and has been shown to have indisputable adverse effects on physical and mental health.
The principles of civil and human rights laws are firmly behind non-smokers - they have every right to enjoy their property and clean air without interference.
As there is no safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke, every exposure can be treated as "battery". It is therefore time that a law be introduced to tackle second-hand smoke drift in homes.
Having designated smoking points in residential areas has not lowered the number of complaints precisely because there is no legal requirement to use them. Few would voluntarily leave the comfort of home to smoke downstairs for the sake of others.
The number of cases of National Environment Agency (NEA) enforcement officers being abused by people who committed smoking or littering offences has risen - and these are officers who have the authority to enforce laws.
With NEA's approach of placing the onus on non-smokers to engage their smoking neighbours without the full backing of the law, it is only to be expected that most will be ignored or, worse, abused.

Many ministers have spoken up recently about doing the right thing even if it comes at a cost - this is certainly one area in which the Government can demonstrate this principle at home.

Evelyn Yap
MPs too busy using parliament to send birthday greetings to their children, performing screen tests for Mediacorpse, telling us to stop drinking bubble tea
and now to consume less salt. Second hand smoke is minor problem.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$10 incentive for taxi drivers to pick up passengers at Changi Airport​

nf-taxi-010422.jpg

The incentive comes after Singapore further relaxed pandemic measures. PHOTO: SHINMIN DAILY NEWS
Kolette Lim

Apr 1, 2022

SINGAPORE - It is not enough that more people can now fly into Changi Airport with greater ease - there should not be a long wait for a taxi to leave the terminals.
With that in mind, Changi Airport Group has launched an incentive programme to encourage drivers to pick up passengers from the airport.
Drivers will be given a reward of $10 for each day they make a minimum of three trips from Terminal 1, Terminal 3 or Jewel Changi Airport.
Trips must be made during three time windows - 6am to 10am, noon to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm - in the programme that starts on Friday and ends on April 30.
The 100 drivers who make the most number of trips from these locations throughout the month of April will be entitled to participate in a lucky draw. Ten winners will each get $1,000 worth of preferred fuel or petrol kiosk vouchers.
The incentive comes after Singapore further relaxed pandemic measures, with travellers no longer required to take only designated flights to enter the country quarantine-free and quotas for daily arrivals removed.
Higher traffic is expected at the airport with the easing of travel measures, as seen from the bigger crowds in terminals 1 and 3 on Friday. ST observed that there were three to four groups of passengers in the queue for taxis at Terminal 3's arrival hall on Friday morning.

But Strides Taxi driver Charles Ba feels that it could be difficult to fulfil the eligibility requirements. The 51-year-old said that while cabbies are able to get passengers almost immediately during the peak period of 8am to 10am, they would likely have to wait for as long as an hour during the rest of the day, when demand is low.
"If I'm lucky and all my trips from the airport are to areas in the east, I might be able to complete three trips without having to queue each time. But if I get a passenger going to the central business district, it's not worth having to go all the way back with the possibility of having to queue," he said.
"The incentive makes it a $3 bonus for each trip. That's not worth it, especially since petrol prices are expensive nowadays."
According to pump price tracker Fuel Kaki, 92-octane petrol is now at $3.01 a litre at Caltex and Esso, and $3 at SPC.
Mr Henry Tay, who's with ComfortDelGro, said he would resume heading to the airport if the Covid-19 situation in Singapore remains stable following the opening of borders.
The 52-year-old said: "I like to pick up travellers because when they like talking to us, they will arrange subsequent rides with us throughout their trip."

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An insult to taxi drivers.
They are much more street smart than the silly
civil servants to develop ideas sitting around and
talking cock. They are much more resourceful than
that clowns who tell them how to make an extra buck.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long wait at taxi bay as drivers eye booking fee​

Apr 12, 2022

I was waiting at a taxi bay near Holland Village at around 6.30pm on Friday. There was an elderly man with a walking stick ahead of me. He told me that he had been trying to get a taxi for half an hour.
While I was at the bay, three taxis dropped passengers off and almost immediately changed their light to "hired". Three others stopped at the bay but told the man that they were not going in his direction.
I realised that neither of us was going to get a taxi any time soon, and decided to book a taxi. When it arrived, the elderly man was still waiting for a taxi.
This makes me wonder if the taxi booking surcharge needs to be reviewed. As a taxi driver, getting an additional $3 or more through a booking is enough of an incentive to ignore people waiting at taxi stands or by the roadside.
The elderly man's parting words to me struck a chord: "When I visited other countries, taxis queued to pick up passengers. Here, I need to queue for an hour or more, especially during peak hours."

Danny Yeo

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Punters resume placing illegal bets after police leave​

Apr 12, 2022

I have been living in Geylang East for the past 20 years and have witnessed the scenario described in the article, "Big groups gather at HDB void decks, coffee shops for illegal betting on horse races" (April 5), many times at hawker centres in the area.
These gatherings take place every weekend.
These people gamble openly as if they are entitled to do so. Even Covid-19 restrictions did little to stop them.
The police have shown up at the hawker centres to deter illegal betting, but the punters resume placing bets immediately after police leave the scene.
More substantive measures have to be put in place if the presence of police is not enough to dissuade illegal betting.

Wong Chui Har

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Solution to getting more to cycle to work is not more shared paths​

Apr 12, 2022

As a cyclist in Singapore since 2004, I have been both thrilled and dismayed by the ever-increasing number of cyclists on the road, and the unfortunate failure of Singapore's roads to keep up with this trend (So many leisure cyclists. What will nudge more to cycle to work?, April 8).
Despite the best intentions of all parties, cyclists, motorists and pedestrians do not mix well together.
The solution is not more shared paths, but devoted cycling lanes where people can enjoy their ride without fear of being hit by cars or hitting pedestrians.
The best (and possibly only) example of this is in Tanah Merah Coast Road, where the dedicated cycling lane is one of the best travelled on our island.
An example of what can go wrong is the newly opened Changi Bay Park Connector where cyclists and pedestrians must compete for space with sometimes unfortunate results.
Many places smaller than Singapore (Manhattan and Amsterdam come to mind) have dedicated cycling lanes, so I don't think limited space is enough of a reason to rule them out.
For everyone's health and safety, a dedicated round-the-island cycling lane is the best option.

Eric Rosenkranz

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Amoy Street Food Centre's tray return station overflows, nearby tables and seats seen inundated with used plates and utensils​

Cleaning auntie was almost near breaking point, constantly screaming at patrons to dump their shit just about anywhere and get lost. For every tray she cleared from the station, another three or four arrived the next moment. Hurrah for PAP's epically disastrous tray return legislation.

file.jpg

6695f2_87f92a7e7b424198b7d43256ff7a4fdd~mv2.webp

file.jpg

6695f2_4c882b6b3faf42379ce63192039c0ab1~mv2.webp

file.jpg

6695f2_5c35537ad0d24f3f8985d70eaaf930e3~mv2.webp

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
The source of the problem cannot also be its solution.

A small, limited government is your only guarantee of liberty, prosperity and security. And if you haven't noticed already, the PAP government is neither small nor limited. All things considered, it's just a mini CCP minus the Great Firewall and 're-education' camps. :cool:
Must add....sans the GE.

However you are wrong about that part 're-education camps'. They're called National Service in Singapore.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Amoy Street Food Centre's tray return station overflows, nearby tables and seats seen inundated with used plates and utensils​

Cleaning auntie was almost near breaking point, constantly screaming at patrons to dump their shit just about anywhere and get lost. For every tray she cleared from the station, another three or four arrived the next moment. Hurrah for PAP's epically disastrous tray return legislatiion
Legislation concerning screwing any opposition or raking in millions frm Sinkies, you can bet your last dollar that it be implemented very seriously. This tray issue! chui kong lampar song.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Punters resume placing illegal bets after police leave​

Apr 12, 2022

I have been living in Geylang East for the past 20 years and have witnessed the scenario described in the article, "Big groups gather at HDB void decks, coffee shops for illegal betting on horse races" (April 5), many times at hawker centres in the area.
These gatherings take place every weekend.
These people gamble openly as if they are entitled to do so. Even Covid-19 restrictions did little to stop them.
The police have shown up at the hawker centres to deter illegal betting, but the punters resume placing bets immediately after police leave the scene.
More substantive measures have to be put in place if the presence of police is not enough to dissuade illegal betting.

Wong Chui Har

Oh dear, the MPs have not been walking the grounds? Or they need the votes of these hardcore gamblers?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Frustrations as taxi and ride-hailing fares surge, and bookings are rejected​

ac_taxi_020522.jpg

The sudden spike in demand for rides has resulted in sharp increases of peak-hour ride-hailing fares. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
Clement Yong, Ning Chionh and Faith Pang

PUBLISHED

May 2, 2022

SINGAPORE - Retiree Tony Lee, 73, was trying to get a ride from Joo Seng to Jalan Besar two Fridays ago. An hour after his search began at 6pm, he was still pacing the streets.
"I went on all the apps – Grab, Gojek, ComfortDelGro. But no one would accept my booking," he said. "The taxi stand in the area also had a really long queue so I had to walk around to try to flag down a cab."
At 7pm, he chanced upon a taxi driver on a restroom break at a nearby petrol kiosk and persuaded him to take him as a passenger. The metered ride cost $11, less than half the $20-plus fares quoted to him on the various ride-hailing apps.
As Singapore drops most of its Covid-19 restrictions, Mr Lee's experience is becoming an increasingly common one, prompting growing unhappiness among passengers.
After more than two years of low ridership, more people are returning to the workplace, staying out late and, in general, going out, and the sudden spike in demand for rides has pushed peak-hour ride-hailing fares to two or even three times of what they were just last year.
Bookings made have also repeatedly been cancelled by drivers, prompting some people to already plan to end their nights out earlier, even as restaurants, bars and clubs are hoping for a rebound in nightlife.
"It is harder to get a ride now, and drivers cancel bookings a lot," said 19-year-old student Angel Chong. For her, a ride from the Hillview area to town used to cost $13 to $14. This is now $20 to $25 during non-peak hours and $35 after 11pm.

Front-desk worker at a tuition centre Paulie Teo, 24, said fares have surged since March. "I recently (spent a long time trying) to book a ride so I just gave up and took the MRT. I kept booking on the train but still couldn't get any cars," she added.
Strides Taxi driver Charles Ban, 51, said a trip from Bugis Junction to Bukit Batok at midnight on Friday can now be $50 to $60, attributing this to many night shift drivers dropping out of the industry in the past two years.
Replacing them is not something that can be done overnight, with those who drive in the day either unable or unwilling to make the switch in working hours that they are now used to.

Some, like Mr Ban, cannot see well at night. Another taxi driver, 52-year-old Henry Tay, said the higher chance of getting drunken passengers who vomit in the back seat or run off without paying puts him off.
But Mr Ban said drivers are also declining bookings at night from town to heartland areas that are farther out to avoid returning to the nightlife spots without passengers.
"Petrol cost is quite high now, so they would rather do short trips in the centre of Singapore. That makes more sense for them," he added.
In the past two years, the number of taxi and private-hire drivers has steadily fallen, with drivers finding it hard to break even with ridership below 80 per cent of what it was pre-pandemic.
Amid the circuit breaker in May 2020, taxi and private-hire vehicle ridership was 26 per cent of that in 2019. In that same year, HDT Singapore Taxi folded, leading to 90 drivers being let go.

As at November 2021, Land Transport Authority statistics showed there were 15,048 taxi drivers, compared with 2019's 18,542.
The number of private-hire car drivers also dipped, from 77,141 to 68,091, in the same period.
The dropout rate comes despite more than $1 billion having been disbursed by the Government to taxi and private-hire drivers since the pandemic struck, and the recent fare increases that operators have announced to help drivers defray higher fuel cost.
Taxi and private-hire car operators said they are monitoring the situation closely.
Largest taxi operator ComfortDelGro has been encouraging night relief drivers to drive more. It is trying to better match them with taxis that are currently used by only a single day driver, although it is not yet offering financial incentives to spur the shift.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
ComfortDelGro to raise cab fares by around 8% in March
Other taxi firms in S'pore to follow ComfortDelGro in raising fares
Grab declined to comment, while Gojek pointed to existing schemes and incentives it offers that already seek to make driving at night more attractive, including bonus points per trip from midnight to 2.59am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.
Mr Yeow How Pheng, head of SMRT's Strides mobility services, said Strides is actively recruiting more drivers, adding: "It takes some time for the situation to stabilise."
Associate Professor Walter Theseira of the Singapore University of Social Sciences said there is an understandable reluctance for operators to rush into increasing fleet sizes, given that past reopening decisions have been reversed.
Drivers and operators cannot survive on just one or two hours of surge fares a day alone and have to make their assessments based on the total income available to drivers.
AK_sgcov2_020522.jpg

Fewer drivers and high fuel costs are also contributing to the problem. PHOTO: ST FILE
"The total income available throughout the day, or the week, needs to be large enough to cover the required wage for the driver and the operating and capital costs of the vehicle," Prof Theseira said.
"As the market platforms and operators become more convinced that the resurgence in demand is here to stay, they will continue to ramp up their plans to attract drivers back. In the short term, the platforms and drivers are happy to earn higher commissions and fares."
Meanwhile, passengers will have to pay the higher fares for the private car rides - a premium transport option that is also looking to attract workers in a tight labour market.
Prof Theseira added: "Driving is not an easy job, so why should we think that drivers owe us a cheap and easily available ride?"

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cabbies, private-hire drivers continue to avoid Changi Airport; longer wait for travellers​

mi_airport_020522.jpg

As ridership gradually increases, Changi Airport is finding it harder to attract drivers. PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
clementyong.png

Clement Yong

May 2, 2022

SINGAPORE - Taxi drivers are still reluctant to return to queue at Changi Airport, despite March recording 1.14 million travellers, the first time it has crossed the one million mark since the Covid-19 pandemic.
With fuel costs high, and more money to be made in the Central Business District and at night, drivers The Straits Times spoke to said they find that there is no reason to go all the way there for passengers, where they risk long periods of waiting with engines switched on.
“It is not worth the time,” said Grab driver Anamullah Hamidullah. “The wait for passengers can be up to 40 minutes long.”
The 63-year-old added: “There still aren’t enough travellers. There may be more passengers past midnight when many planes are landing, but I will have to go there with an empty car.”
As ridership gradually increases – to the point where passengers now find it difficult to get a ride at certain times of the day – Changi Airport is finding it harder to attract drivers, which is integral to providing a seamless travelling experience for travellers.
In April, Changi Airport Group launched an incentive programme where drivers were given a reward of $10 for each day they made a minimum of three trips to the airport in three time windows – 6am to 10am, noon to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm.

It also gave out free coffee to drivers in the morning, but measures are still inadequate.

Mr Koh, an airport worker who wanted to be known only by his last name, said taxi queues are at about 40 per cent of what it was pre-pandemic, but taxis available at the airport have remained at a fifth of what it was.
The 52-year-old said the problem is especially bad in the early morning when there are the most flights, with waits of up to 45 minutes on one Sunday.
He dreads when travellers get irritated during the long wait.
“When that happens, we don’t know what to do either,” he said. “We hope more taxi drivers come back to help us with our job.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After so many years, the PAP ministers still do not know how to solve the problem of taxi shortage at the airport.

Surcharge for taxi rides from Changi Airport to be raised by $3 from May 19​

ac_CAG_120522.jpg

CAG had launched an incentive programme in April to get taxis back to the airport. PHOTO: ST FILE
kokyufengg.png

Kok Yufeng
Transport Correspondent

May 12, 2022

SINGAPORE - The surcharge for taxi trips starting from Changi Airport will be raised by $3 from next Thursday (May 19) until June 30, in a move to increase the supply of cabs for passengers there.
With the increased surcharge, trips starting from Changi will cost an additional $8 every day from 5pm to 11.59pm, and an additional $6 at all other times.
The current surcharge is $5 on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 5pm to 11.59pm, and $3 at all other times.
The move, announced by Changi Airport Group (CAG) in a Facebook post on Thursday (May 12), comes amid a reluctance from cabbies to go to the airport to pick up passengers despite a revival in international air travel.
According to a Facebook post by ComfortDelGro Taxi, the largest taxi operator in Singapore, the increased surcharges will also apply to trips starting from Changi Air Freight Centre, the Airport Police Station and the Airport Logistics Park of Singapore.
The surcharge hike will kick in from midnight on May 19 and end at 11.59pm on June 30.
In March, about 1.14 million travellers passed through Changi, the first time passenger volumes there crossed the one million mark since the Covid-19 pandemic began more than two years ago.

Passenger traffic at Changi Airport more than doubled last month from March, approaching 40 per cent of pre-pandemic levels.
This takes take Singapore to touching distance of achieving its target to restore passenger volumes at the airport to at least 50 per cent of pre-Covid-19 levels by the end of the year.
The higher number of passengers, coupled with a lower supply of taxis, has led to long queues of people waiting for cabs at the airport.

In a report by The Straits Times earlier this month, taxi drivers had said that more money could be made in the Central Business District and at night.
Coupled with high fuel costs, they told ST that they found no reason to go all the way to the airport, where they risk long periods of waiting with engines switched on.
CAG had launched an incentive programme last month to get taxis back to the airport, offering cabbies a reward of $10 for each day they made a minimum of three trips to the airport in three time windows - 6am to 10am, noon to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm.
It also gave out free coffee to drivers in the morning, but the measures were inadequate.
In response to queries, a CAG spokesman said the five taxi companies here had discussed the taxi shortage at the airport with CAG before the firms lodged plans to revise the location surcharge with the Public Transport Council (PTC).
CAG said that its own incentive programme, which was originally slated to end on April 30, will also run until May 16.
From May 17 to June 30, there will be a new scheme, in which cabbies can earn the $10 reward if they make a minimum of three trips to the airport from 6am to 9am and from 3pm to 9pm.
A PTC spokesman said the council had been informed of the taxi operators’ intention to raise the taxi location surcharge and reminded them to apprise commuters about the new fares.
It did not say when the plans to raise the surcharges were lodged.
Under a regulatory framework that took effect in October 2020, taxi operators here are required to lodge plans to change their fares at least 28 days before making the changes.
They also need to publicise the changes at least seven days beforehand.
Ms Yeo Wan Ling, adviser to the National Taxi Association (NTA), said tourist spending has traditionally been an important component of cabby earnings.
But with the new norm, drivers are still getting used to new flight timings and airport terminal arrangements, she said.
Beyond increasing the location surcharge, Ms Yeo said CAG, the taxi companies and the NTA have also coordinated to inform cabbies about flight timings in real time to ensure wait times are balanced between drivers and passengers.
The MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC added: “Our drivers understand the important role that taxis play as transportation providers to and from the airport, and remain committed to providing safe and efficient rides for departing and arriving passengers.”
When ST visited the airport on Thursday afternoon, it was a mixed picture.
The wait at the taxi stand at Terminal 1 was about 10 minutes at about 4pm, but at about 4.40pm, there were quite a number of cabs lined up and passengers were able to board them almost immediately.
It was the reverse at Terminal 3, where more than five taxis were waiting for passengers at about 5.30pm, but by about 5.50pm, there were no taxis.
For ComfortDelGro cabby Robert Yeo, the plan to raise the surcharge for trips from Changi Airport is not enough to entice him to make the journey east.
The 62-year-old said he would not go to the airport unless he has to, as the surcharge hike cannot cover the cost of petrol. “If I drive an empty car there, it is not worth it. Only if I’m already taking someone there, then I’ll go,” he added.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As usual, they set some arbitary figure and then cross their fingers and eyes that the cab
drivers will take the bait. They did not check with the drivers what would be acceptable.
Don't be surprised if they change the rules and allow private car hirers to take passengers soon.

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
As usual, they set some arbitary figure and then cross their fingers and eyes that the cab
drivers will take the bait. They did not check with the drivers what would be acceptable.
Don't be surprised if they change the rules and allow private car hirers to take passengers soon.
Supply and demand