• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Planning to get Sony Nex 7 Mirrorless Camera..

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I'm a Sony fan and I own A35, A57, Nex7 and RX100 with about 10 lenses. Don't ask me why I have so many. I just like to play with them

Sony cameras are fun to use, image quality is excellent and the features are way more advance than its competitors. Not many people use this brand because "Its a Sony" and not a Nikon or Canon. These cameras have a lot of features but KNN Sony only focus on showcasing its Translucent Mirror Technology.

I bor bian liao, too many Oly mounted lenses, overall Im very satisfied with Oly, fuck Canon :p:p:p

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes I'm a Sony fan and I own A35, A57, Nex7 and RX100 with about 10 lenses. Don't ask me why I have so many. I just like to play with them

Sony cameras are fun to use, image quality is excellent and the features are way more advance than its competitors. Not many people use this brand because "Its a Sony" and not a Nikon or Canon. These cameras have a lot of features but KNN Sony only focus on showcasing its Translucent Mirror Technology.

i plan to get the Nex 7 with the 24mm f/1.8 E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar for a start.. i guess this combination can take most general photo shots.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
i plan to get the Nex 7 with the 24mm f/1.8 E-Mount Carl Zeiss Sonnar for a start.. i guess this combination can take most general photo shots.

Just get their new E mount 35mm f/1.8. Its smaller, much cheaper and the focal length is more versatile.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bor bian liao, too many Oly mounted lenses, overall Im very satisfied with Oly, fuck Canon :p:p:p

Last time use Oly before but don't find it better in terms of quality and price as compared to other brands and after what happened to the company recently, I think this brand damn jialat liao

Yeah fuck Canon...........

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last time use Oly before but don't find it better in terms of quality and price as compared to other brands and after what happened to the company recently, I think this brand damn jialat liao

Yeah fuck Canon...........
OMD E-M5 is good what, no meh?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just get their new E mount 35mm f/1.8. Its smaller, much cheaper and the focal length is more versatile.

Thanks buddy, but i will pay tribute to this camera with this video:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NmnUXFuZMXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i am still very confused with Focal length ( F1.8, F2.8 to F4.5) and the zoom (, 24mm and 35mm to 200mm)

how are all these being related to get a desire quality of your photos..

how do they work together.. i do read up and google it and still i do not understand. They say about each of them but not on how they work together.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
i am still very confused with Focal length ( F1.8, F2.8 to F4.5) and the zoom (, 24mm and 35mm to 200mm)

F1.8, F2.8 etc aren't focal lengths. That's your aperture settings. The smaller the minimum number, the better the low light performance.

That's why an F1.4 lens is much more expensive than an F2.8 lens.

24mm, 35mm etc has nothing to do with zoom. That's the focal length of your prime lenses.

A zoom lens is one where you can vary the focal length eg 70mm-200mm lens.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
F1.8, F2.8 etc aren't focal lengths. That's your aperture settings. The smaller the minimum number, the better the low light performance.

That's why an F1.4 lens is much more expensive than an F2.8 lens.

24mm, 35mm etc has nothing to do with zoom. That's the focal length of your prime lenses.

A zoom lens is one where you can vary the focal length eg 70mm-200mm lens.

Thanks... so how do these 2 work together (the F and the mm)? Is it better to get a lower F number as low as possible? when is it necessary to get a bigger F number.

how much difference is a 24mm 1.8F lens to a 35mm 2.8F lens?

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Thanks... so how do these 2 work together (the F and the mm)? Is it better to get a lower F number as low as possible? when is it necessary to get a bigger F number.

how much difference is a 24mm 1.8F lens to a 35mm 2.8F lens?

It all depends upon what the lens is for. If you're going to shoot events/sports etc in low light conditions, then get the fastest lens you can afford. If the lens is for portraits in a studio environment where you have control over the light, then you don't need a fast lens. F2.8 to F4.5 is fine.

As for the focal length the shorter it is, the wider the angle of capture. You decide on the focal length you're going to use depending upon what you're shooting. If you want to capture a wide scene in limited space, then a wide angle lens is a must. If you're shooting soccer 200 metres away from the action, then you'll need a 400mm to 600mm telephoto lens if you want to capture individual players in action.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

how are all these being related to get a desire quality of your photos..

how do they work together.. i do read up and google it and still i do not understand. They say about each of them but not on how they work together.

The F numbers are not focal lengths but focal ratios between the focal length and the aperture diameter of the lens. The smaller the ratio, the more light it captures, allowing you to take photos in dim light without flash. At the same time, assuming you use the full aperture of the lens without stopping down with the iris, it will give the picture a shorter depth of field. In fact portraits normally benefit from such opening of the lens because you usually want the subject to be in focus but not the background. On the other hand, for landscapes when you want everything to be in sharp focus, F ratio should be higher.

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Same here using Oly 4/3. Oly has good skin tones right out from jpegs without further processing.

Simply cannot understand why people prefer spending time processing raw instead of spending time out shooting ?

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same here using Oly 4/3. Oly has good skin tones right out from jpegs without further processing.

Simply cannot understand why people prefer spending time processing raw instead of spending time out shooting ?
Hehehe, thats why I love Oly lah, others quite bad, hahaha.....

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always have a soft "spot" for Olympus because of their amazing multi-spot metering in their OM-4 film camera in the 80s.

And my el-cheapo E620 can do high-speed flash sync all the way to 1/4000 which more expensive camera can't even do.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always have a soft "spot" for Olympus because of their amazing multi-spot metering in their OM-4 film camera in the 80s.

And my el-cheapo E620 can do high-speed flash sync all the way to 1/4000 which more expensive camera can't even do.
E620 4/3 camera? R.I.P :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Still serving me well fren :smile:

Dun think Olympus will revive 4/3 range, thats what I meant, haha....... I'm using E-P2, still serves me well too, but now mainly using iPhone5 to shoot, its good enough for street and food photography :biggrin:

Last edited: